PDA

View Full Version : Why in my opinion BAA won't win GOTY award.

Sterlington
19th Nov 2009, 21:12
this game isnt going to win game of the year. IN MY OPINION
Reasons:
*This game got boring on my second playthrough

*the only way to replay a mission is to beat the game again

*no multiplayer

* the annoying 4 hit piano keys as background music in story mode

* The ending was terrible. You see the police come and clear the bodies. while in free roam you cant you see this.

* No one to fight in story mode after you beat the game

* same AI. you knock out 1 they get nervous. knock out 3-4 they get terrified. why cant they accidently shoot each other? they shoot at the noise of the boiler, but not at thier own teammates' foot steps. Then after they accidently killed a teammate, the thug who killed would say "Oops" This would have addded humor.

* no big story twists. who really thought that Gordon was going to die?

* Instead of wasting guards' lives, batman from the start should have told the guards to escape and then called the Air Force to drop grenades on the Asylum.

/rant

Special thanks To:
China for letting me borrow their wall
The whaaabulance for the ride

Drazar
19th Nov 2009, 21:15
* Instead of wasting guards' lives, batman from the start should have told the guards to escape and then called the Air Force to drop grenades on the Asylum.

See people, Batman's no morals for killing gave us a story instead of explosions!

PS. I changed the thread title since this seems abit misleading, and yeah people don't attack the guy for having his own opinions regarding BAA getting awarded or not. :)

Sterlington
19th Nov 2009, 21:17
Ok, thanx Draz

Turn and Face the Strange
19th Nov 2009, 21:31
Just my thoughts:

I suppose that's a personal thing. It didn't get boring on my second playthough.

True, but again, that's only a problem if you don't like the game enough to play it all again.

*no multiplayer
This game doesn't suit nor need multiplayer.

Again, annoying is a personal preferance, so I can't really say anything on that.

* The ending was terrible. You see the police come and clear the bodies. while in free roam you cant you see this.
Free roam takes place BEFORE the ending, right before Batman goes to face Joker. That's why there's no police, etc.

That would be because they're all knocked out, now wouldn't it? After the game's beaten, you are allowed to free roam to explore and get collectibles. As for fighting, that's what the Challenge Maps are for.

* same AI. you knock out 1 they get nervous. knock out 3-4 they get terrified. why cant they accidently shoot each other? they shoot at the noise of the boiler, but not at thier own teammates' foot steps. Then after they accidently killed a teammate, the thug who killed would say "Oops" This would have addded humor.
Because they know full well their teammate wouldn't be up on a gargoyle - they can't tell if the footsteps are friendly or Batman. Let's face it, as much as you hate someone, if you were against Batman, you wouldn't want to risk killing your partner (ie. leaving you alone with Batman).

Nobody.

The whole point of Batman is that he doesn't kill his enemies. Not even the Joker. That's probably why he didn't bomb the hell out of that place (it was also full of innocent doctors and personnel too)

deders
19th Nov 2009, 21:33
I'd still say it was one of my favourite gaming experiences of the year, Modern warefare 2 is going to be tough competition, I can't decide....

Sterlington
19th Nov 2009, 21:35
yea I think MW2 is going to win it.

Turn and Face the Strange
19th Nov 2009, 21:43
as much as I love this game, Modern Warfare 2 does blow this out of the water.

Well, not ALL the way out. Just a little bit.

butterskenny
19th Nov 2009, 23:36
Just my thoughts:

I suppose that's a personal thing. It didn't get boring on my second playthough.

True, but again, that's only a problem if you don't like the game enough to play it all again.

*no multiplayer
This game doesn't suit nor need multiplayer.

Again, annoying is a personal preferance, so I can't really say anything on that.

Free roam takes place BEFORE the ending, right before Batman goes to face Joker. That's why there's no police, etc.

That would be because they're all knocked out, now wouldn't it? After the game's beaten, you are allowed to free roam to explore and get collectibles. As for fighting, that's what the Challenge Maps are for.

Because they know full well their teammate wouldn't be up on a gargoyle - they can't tell if the footsteps are friendly or Batman. Let's face it, as much as you hate someone, if you were against Batman, you wouldn't want to risk killing your partner (ie. leaving you alone with Batman).

Nobody.

The whole point of Batman is that he doesn't kill his enemies. Not even the Joker. That's probably why he didn't bomb the hell out of that place (it was also full of innocent doctors and personnel too)

Agreed

Batman The Trailer Hunter
20th Nov 2009, 00:50
Based on campaign/story alone Batman Arkham Asylum is a better game. The mw2 story is bery good, but its a little short, its like they made the game just for multiplayer. If MW2 does win that will be why.

BatDood
20th Nov 2009, 05:47
As far as Modern Warfare goes, you have to take a second to realize that not everyone is into war games. Yes, there is a definite fanbase but the fact remains that there are a lot of people who don't necessarily want to recreate war scenarios in a game. I can say that from experience because I have quite a few friends that aren't into that kind of game. Personally, I like the Call of Duty series so I'm not in that camp but I can understand why they wouldn't be interested.

Batman appeals to a very wide audience because, lets face it, a lot of people are familiar with him. As a matter of fact, you 'd be very hard pressed to find just one person who's never even heard of Batman. The fact that B:AA has had so much notoriety is because it's the best Batman game that has come out to date. That really can't be argued and people have heard about it.

Those same friends that I have that aren't into war games aren't into superhero games either but every one of them has copy of B:AA. That in itself should say something.

As a side note: I just picked up the God of War Collection that was just released for the PS3. So far, I've made it through the first story. It's basically a remastered compilation of the first 2 games that were released on the PS2. I was absolutely hooked of GoW when they both came out but after experiencing Arkham Asylum, I just find that I don't enjoy GoW as much anymore because Kratos just seems so damn stiff. Evading enemies is basically just jumping side to side. Yes, he has is fancy weapons and powers but I still felt like I was controlling a robot compared to Batman. I found myself really missing all the fluid fighting moments of B:AA. It's definitely something that Rocksteady totally nailed.

I know that I'm talking about a game that was produced in 2005 BUT, the second GoW didn't really change the fighting characteristics of Kratos at all. It was the same stiff, robotic movements. They just added different weapons.

Don't get me wrong; the GoW series has some great storytelling and it was always my favourite but B:AA has definitely spoiled the experience for me. I'm sure GoW3 is going to be another smash hit but I doubt that I'll be as hooked on it anymore. The motion capture that they managed to get with B:AA just looks so natural. There's a ton of gaming companies out there that could take a lesson or two from it and that in itself should be recognized in some way.

I'm personally looking more forward to the next Batman game (if Rocksteady does another one) over GoW3. And for me, that's saying a lot.

Prince Daka
20th Nov 2009, 06:34

He meant to ask something more like "Why did Batman allow guards to die by not taking extreme actions against the Joker to begin with?"

Well, Batman certainly didn't want those guards to die, but Batman can't save everyone & wouldn't kill in order to save anyone either. He (as Bruce Wayne) invested a lot of money into Arkham Asylum because he feels for many of his enemies. He understands what it is to lose one's mind, but he is above killing people. If he were to kill the Joker, it would only prove that nobody can curb the consequences of madness. Joker believes it takes only one bad day for someone to become a homicidal maniac. He might be right if it weren't for Batman. As for bombing the asylum, that would be a bad idea because it is a huge waste of money (the cost of rebuilding), & remaining inmates would be moved to a place that probably isn't isolated from the city (which would be bad, use your imagination).

Anyway, while Batman: Arkham Asylum probably wont win GOTY it is my favorite game of 2009. I expected GOTY to go to some game with hyped up multiplayer & lots of killing anyway.

homeycdawg
20th Nov 2009, 07:07
What I got from the story was that when Batman was warning those guards, he didn't know the situation was going to go as far as it ended up going.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind if batman got GOTY award. I've played MW2 and it's awesome, but Batman is awesome and original and long-awaited.

CaptainMcMulla
20th Nov 2009, 08:10
There are many reasons why Batman wont win GOTY is because....
1. Modern Warfare 2 - The hype surrounding it, the media attention its been getting, the sales record it broke, the multiplayer and the brilliant campaign mode. The only flaw in MW2 was the length of the campaign.
2. Uncharted 2 - This game has been described as one of the best games of all time. The story mode is perfect, with great graphics, gameplay, awesome characters and the additional multiplayer this will give MW2 a run for the title.
3. Other reasons - I havent played AC2 yet but from what ive heard its much better than the first one and should be a candidate for GOTY. Also the games mentioned so far, were released 2 months after Batman so it will be fresh in peoples minds. There are other great titles which were released earlier and people are not talking about. Halo ODST, Killzone 2, InFamous etc. The list can go on.

FINAL VERDICT: My opinion is that MW2 will get GOTY because of the reasons stated in point no.1.

angleslam99
20th Nov 2009, 08:27
#1 reason: Because Uncharted 2 was released

Argel319
21st Nov 2009, 10:13
#1 reason: Because Uncharted 2 was released

Well if they had the Game of The Year award before Uncharted 2 and Modern Warfare 2 came out, Arkham Asylum would definitely win it? :p

The_Hylden
21st Nov 2009, 13:06
Yup

Sir Legendhead
21st Nov 2009, 16:02
Whose GOTY are we talking about? Aren't there like a dozen of these now?

To be honest, I voted Assassin's Creed 2 on the Spike one last night -- anybody who thinks stealth and freeroam gaming can't mix definitely needs to check that out. Choosing between AC2 and AA was hard, but damn. That game is amazing.

DropkickDisco
21st Nov 2009, 16:06
Official "GOTY" polls on the major website essentially amount to biased popularity contests between gamers, anyway. Individually, our personal choices for GOTY are more meaningful. At the moment, my choice for GOTY is between AC2, Uncharted 2, and Demon's Souls. I did like Batman: Arkham Asylum, but I had some issues with the bland storyline, lack of any real difficulty, repetitive boss battles, and "Riddle Challenges" that focused more on overlong scavenger hunts than real puzzles to crack. They were truly a missed opportunity for fans of challenging puzzles.

Batman The Trailer Hunter
21st Nov 2009, 21:12
MW2 and AC2 shouldnt be even be in the race, the games came out like a week before and waaaay to close to the End of the Year. If the awards came out like in January next year it would be better. And B:AA is 2nd place in terms for most awards on Spike

Sir Legendhead
22nd Nov 2009, 01:06
MW2 and AC2 shouldnt be even be in the race, the games came out like a week before and waaaay to close to the End of the Year.The thing is, if they weren't in this year, they wouldn't be in next year either. Wouldn't be fair to disqualify them for timing.

Besides, I know for a fact that people have had enough time to complete AC2 because I just finished it about an hour ago. :)