PDA

View Full Version : What the next Tomb Raider game should take in consideration:

neo111118
8th Nov 2009, 12:50
OK
I guess every one has his own idea about what they shoud
modulate from Underworld.I mean what the people who
works on the new project shoud add - delete -

modulate...
And due to lake of connections between us and the Edios team or between us and the people who are incharge for
the net game I decided to put this thread and hope some
one may read it.

Your openions are wellcomed.

what I want to see in the next Tomb raider game:

1-A new mellee moves like Karate moves and Lara should

depend more on her hands and legs to kick some asses.
2-More Bikes guys :In underworld I guess the bike was beautifull but why not more than one type like mountain
and sport bikes for several levels. Mountain bike in forests ,Sport bikes in towns.

3-Yes towns cause lara should face some new group of
levels beside sea - manor - forest .
4-People that lara encounter and interact with ,talk with.
like in Mexico you could add african - indian people . This will bring more real cause mexico is full of suborders . and they could be a guide to lara.

5-less Tigers and a new animals like Snakes at the trees and on the ground.Spiders should only be in dark areas
like caves.

6-In the sea there must be fish .Peacefull fish and only sharks.

7-YES A JEEP : why not .Like TR4 a nice jeep to drive.

8-LARA's MANOR : Yes we never get board of it.It is very nice with a swim pool.

9-Lara's Garage : hot cars in it .

10 - Training area in Lara's Manor. compete to get your own record in completing it.

11-attacking training areas . fights with a robot .fight against a karate trainer.

12-Yes tools like fighting with a crook or a piece of wood.

13-new technology like a laptop that she can use .

14-Some one she likes (Bad guy maybe).

Yes this is much but if they take in consideration a part of it ,then this will be very nice.
Actually there is more ideas but this is enough for now .

brandibuck
8th Nov 2009, 14:05
Remind that this is a SURVIVAL HORROR game.....

But i like the karate moves.... and the manor too

Im not sure about bikes and technologies...She's apparently stuck on an island..Like that castaway movie...

I would love snakes and spiders!!

:D:D

Ants_27_
8th Nov 2009, 14:42
I like your ideas.:cool:

What about using your snake idea but allow them to be an enemy and a health source?

Right, let's use this 'rumoured' content. She is stuck on an island and there are no health packs (yes there should be none) how does she gain health? By capturing things like snakes and eating them of course! Like in MGS 3!

That will help push this idea that she really is stuck and survival really is needed.

Now for some random thoughts:
Partially destructible environments - ramming a jeep full pelt into a wall would dislodge a brick or two. Would need to be restricted of course!
Remove the grapple and add a hook on a rope - I forgot the proper term (I'm sure it has one) and allow you to aim just for the fun of it.
Remove the gold rings - at least make them more natural looking.
Remove that camera that shows you what door you just opened - well at least hint at it but don't show the path.
Grip hold of door frames, window ledges/whatever - very Assassins creed.
No loading screens - it is possible.
Fire is friend and foe - allow fire to be used both in traps and obstacles but as a last resort weapon against enemies.
Correct damage divisions - dunno what to call it. A head shot is a head shot and is different that a leg shot?:nut:

That was just my brainstorming of ideas.:lol:

pinpal
8th Nov 2009, 14:58
Remind that this is a SURVIVAL HORROR game.....

But i like the karate moves.... and the manor too

Im not sure about bikes and technologies...She's apparently stuck on an island..Like that castaway movie...

I would love snakes and spiders!!

:D:D

Survival horror has not been confirmed.:hmm: To tell you the truth there has not been any official Tomb Raider9 this year, except for the new tomb raider game will make people say "Oh Lara I love you so much".:)

GamemasterJJ
8th Nov 2009, 14:59
My ideas have lost certainty. I'm quite happy for CD to take TR in new direction.

But still, I wish that there were some qualities that remained the same as the originals (please don't have me shot). It would be nice if some familiar animations occured.

Maybe some tracks of music from the old games (and even the newer games) should be recycled... Star Wars does it.. Pirates of the Carribean does it.. All of the highest budgetted productions in the world do it.. It's not because they're cheap - it's because repetition is a key element to soundtracking...

The new COD has Hans Zimmer.... I'm so gealous... No offence to Troels Folman or Colin O'Malley.
It would be nice to either have Hans Zimmer, John Williams or Howard Shore.. But I think that CD's budget may disincline the acquiescence of my request.

Remove the gold rings - at least make them more natural looking.

Definately.

If the game isn't completely different
from the oldies, then I'm quite content :)

Ants_27_
8th Nov 2009, 15:39
My ideas have lost certainty. I'm quite happy for CD to take TR in new direction.

I couldn't agree more.

More random brainstorming:

CD's own mark - like naughty dog, no matter what game ND make it has always been colourful; Crash, Jak & Daxter and Uncharted.
Devil's in the details - Pay more attentions to the details, if Lara can stand on it she can, if it looks interactable it will be.
Hide and seek - If out numbered Lara can hide in small caves, in trees or find a way to blend herself in more.
A Slippery fall - the weather can effect how well Lara traverses certain areas, mud may cause Lara to stumble more when wet, than it would dry. It will effect how well enemies hunt too.
Night becomes day - the longer you take solving a puzzle can cause nightfall too come, time is of the essence; especially if your low on flares.
Lara's many faces - Lara has three animation sets: Tensed, relaxed and injured. Each is triggered in different circumstances.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
8th Nov 2009, 16:57
Here is some thoughts on some of the best ideas.

The typical things like better story, Replay level back/ treasure hunt mode gone, more unlockables and outfits, more backtracking I would say. Reuse of some of Nathan's original TR1-3 music would also be a MASSIVE positive for me. Would probably make me a bit more positive towards the whole game. The varying day/night and weather also seem very clever. That would be a real great one to include.

Mellee could be good so long as it dosn't turn in to street fighter or the adrenaline dodge constantly. Towns and people seem really good ideas but seem unlikely for this one. Enemy variation and more ambushes are a must.

nikkinickels
8th Nov 2009, 19:24
more places to look around, like if croft manor comes back, since we might "go back in time" in the next game, i wanna see lara's freezer :x i wonder what she'd keep in there..... :D
we should have more vehicles to ride
and when lara kills someone or something don't let it dissapear. i want it to be a part of the scene...also so we can look at it :x
i like the sprinting idea in underworld, glad they brought that back, and after sprinting lara should breathe heavily as the sprint bar goes back up, i think that'd look cool...and they should have a scene with lara eating or laughing

neo111118
8th Nov 2009, 19:36
Good ideas in there

Actually
Eating snakes to gain Health (This is not real)
but finding first aids on the islands near of dead bodies for soldgers from World war 2 is better .

nikkinickels
8th Nov 2009, 19:45
hmm, for health maybe, since the next game is rumored to be on an island, maybe lara can find herbs and one of the puzzles or whatever can be to make meds for her.

GamemasterJJ
8th Nov 2009, 20:08
hmm, for health maybe, since the next game is rumored to be on an island, maybe lara can find herbs and one of the puzzles or whatever can be to make meds for her.

Or maybe she could find herbs and (somehow, don't ask how) find recipies.
Then she could mix different recipies.. But then it would be like the sims.. So I'm not sure about that..

hyrule12
8th Nov 2009, 20:55
some of my brainstorming...

Manor
i love the ideas form everyone. i think that if your friends have the game you can challenge their scores and times. i want a HUGE manor. a different manor if possible to. as long as there is a manor im happy.

Music
some songs from 2 and 3 would be great, like for the intro video play a newer version of the venice symphony.

health
if any ones played saw i like that health system the best. where u use as much health as you want but u sed the entire thing no matter how much u used.

as for story and all that it would be cool if nishmura and takamoto. have them both be enemies at first than nishimura is a friend or something cause remember he says "im dangerous too you remember"

Error96_
9th Nov 2009, 01:37
Thrilling idea's here. Return of Croft manor, making medicines and night and day are great. More vechiles and reusing Nathan's music even better. If only CD came here and checked out this thread. Think they would be inspired.

DamianGraham
9th Nov 2009, 01:49
all excellent points!! :D i also really hope that they add more detail to lara herself i also would like if they added the costumes again (like in Legend, not just 2 or 3 but a whole bunch) different weather effects, bring the cutscene viewer back, i have no idea why theyd rid of it in Underworld. perhaps small side missions or something idk.. hopefully she's not too "Young" that she wont have any of her amazing gymnastic abilities. and all that haha

Ants_27_
9th Nov 2009, 08:35
Good ideas in there

Actually
Eating snakes to gain Health (This is not real)
but finding first aids on the islands near of dead bodies for soldgers from World war 2 is better .

Well that is the wonders of fiction.:nut:

Only kidding.

brandibuck
9th Nov 2009, 16:07
Survival horror has not been confirmed.:hmm: To tell you the truth there has not been any official Tomb Raider9 this year, except for the new tomb raider game will make people say "Oh Lara I love you so much".:)

Thanks to the leaked pics i would assure that it's a survival horror game

brandibuck
9th Nov 2009, 16:08
Or maybe she could find herbs and (somehow, don't ask how) find recipies.
Then she could mix different recipies.. But then it would be like the sims.. So I'm not sure about that..

Haha sims.....Really like the idea..

PLumbob oonn lara!!

neo111118
9th Nov 2009, 23:14
I also like the DAY and NIGHT changing with a real clock determine what time is it exactly .
Also
If Night scares you : why not Lara can sleep in a cave or some safe location :
Caves - trees - Boats - etc
so she wake up next morning.

a Real time clock would be nice so if it is 10:00 pm in your country then it is so in the game: maybe a big move we may see in TR 10 or why not TR9.

neo111118
9th Nov 2009, 23:16
I really hope that we may send this topic somehow to the People who work on the project so they can know for real what TR fan really want and like to see.
There is really brilliant ideas in here.

nikkinickels
10th Nov 2009, 01:22
oo we should be able to climb trees for safety

Ants_27_
11th Nov 2009, 07:32
oo we should be able to climb trees for safety

See, hiding in tree's could be fun.;)

She could hide in cardboard boxes too, but she can't do this because only Snake is allowed that privilege not Lara!:p

jayjay119
11th Nov 2009, 13:49
See, hiding in tree's could be fun.;)

She could hide in cardboard boxes too, but she can't do this because only Snake is allowed that privilege not Lara!:p

snake has moved on to the all purpose oil drum now I think he wouldn't mind if Lara stole his box!:rasp:

Ants_27_
11th Nov 2009, 14:05
snake has moved on to the all purpose oil drum now I think he wouldn't mind if Lara stole his box!:rasp:

True I'm sure he wouldn't mind:lol:

Snake is getting a bit old to be running around in a box now:p:(

MattFini
11th Nov 2009, 14:42
I really like what everybody has suggested so far.

I don't think I'd disagree with a single one of these ideas.

I hope they spend more time on Lara herself, too. I liked her Underworld look, but her face remained a waxy caricature. Like they were afraid to make her look 'too real'.

I really want CD to go for it next time. Bring Lara to full blown life like a true next gen game.

I really dig the ideas of day turning into night, etc. and some of the crazier survival elements. Hunting for food, things like that.

MattFini
11th Nov 2009, 14:52
Oh yeah, and good enemy AI, too.

Man, the mercs in TRU were some of the dumbest I've ever seen.

Ants_27_
11th Nov 2009, 16:58
More brainstorming! It really is fun, at times:D

Cover but not glue - pretty muh explains itself but what if Lara -during combat- crouched behind boxes or whatever. It would technically be a cover system (bit of a bland one) but allow for Lara to take cover seamlessly without taking cover in another sense?
Evolution of enemies - connecting back to night and day cycles then the enemies will change, perhaps some are songer at night, maybe they are harder to see. Perhaps that thick-skinned boss would be killed easier at night?
Tactical weakness - Certain thigs work better on enemies. Like pistols might rid the world of that strange looking dog but what if it isn't effected by bullets? Regenerating skin:eek: only kidding. But what if they fear fire or won't chase you across a rushing river?

Or maybe, I'm looking into the ideas of the next TR far too much.:lol:

Arctic
11th Nov 2009, 17:22
I love the ideas, people :D
I agree with pretty much everything, especially:

Big manor, with training area(s)
More vehicles (But of course, if it's on an Island, that might be difficult)
Day/Night
I agree with MattFini, that Lara should look more realistic, and by that I don't mean more "woman/family friendly", just more real!
Story including how Lara met Nishimura. Maybe also Takamoto.
Climbing trees
Taking cover when fighting
Destructible environment.
Falling/stumbling when environment is slippery.
Replay level and cinematic options back! Get rid of the treasure hunt.
No grapple-rings - They just don't seem like a natural part of the environment!
More bonus/unlockable stuff including more outfits!

Awesome ideas, guys. Keep it up! :D

Ants_27_
11th Nov 2009, 17:56
Hmmm... let's see:

Lara becomes the judge of life - allow players to chose the fate of another character or whatever. Either way those decisions could change the dialogue or be a contributing factor to how a later scene will play out. I don't mean the level to which Heavy Rain aims to achieve.
Boss will be back - players have the option to skip a boss fight, but that boss will come back later on, but much more challenging. This could play back to the idea of making decisions, allowing for a boss to be easily disposed of if you think that boss may prove too difficult for you?
memoir of Lara Croft - an unlockable mode like ada's thing in Resi 4. This time fans can play through a series of flashbacks showing the most memorable bits from past TR games.
Combining the best of Lara - people say they want more outfits then they should give them the outfit selection seen in Legend and perhaps allow outfits to be combined to create an even better outfit. The possibility of selecting a new colour scheme for your new 'combined' outfit. Of course this would be down to choice if you want to go more indepth.

Would you call it memoir?:scratch::D

tombraidergal
11th Nov 2009, 18:01
i want old gamers to go away and respect eidos for trying.

I want tomb raider 9 to have melee moves, kicks, punches, flips, all the other legend, underworld and anniversar moves.... i want better gameplay and more enemies and the head set!

Arctic
11th Nov 2009, 18:06
memoir of Lara Croft - an unlockable mode like ada's thing in Resi 4. This time fans can play through a series of flashbacks showing the most memorable bits from past TR games.

Would you call it memoir?:scratch::D

That would be so awesome! :D Great idea!

tombraidergal
11th Nov 2009, 18:08
oh, i know what i would also like, extra content of deleted levels from legend and deleted cut scenes from all the games. that would rock.

Arctic
11th Nov 2009, 18:17
@ tombraidergal - good idea! :D I've always wanted to play the deleted levels from Legend!

Ants_27_
11th Nov 2009, 18:18
That would be so awesome! :D Great idea!

Thanks. I liked it:D

I also agree about playing the deleted levels from legend!:cool:

Ants_27_
11th Nov 2009, 18:30
No-go on regenerating health - A lot of games use it, namely shooters I think but maybe it could be more like Resi games and silent hill games. The need to actually explore for health and maybe health packs don't give as much health?
Rleics are references - like instead of using new relics, why couldn't they use things like the scion, thors hammer, dagger of Xian as the relics. I don't mean use them but give off that whole nostalgia feeling.
Lara failed - what if they create cutscenes that shows what would have happened if the villians had succeeded (spelt right?), namely people like Natla? What if Lara had joined Natla all those years ago (anniversary). All an unlockable and bit of fun of course!

As much as we hate the hero losing, but sometimes your just curious about what would really happen.
These are pretty crap ideas this time around from me, me thinks:lol:

neo111118
11th Nov 2009, 21:02
I agree with all yur Ideas
keep on people

who knows how to get our ideas to the people who are incharge of the project.

nikkinickels
11th Nov 2009, 22:46
new screams from keeley when lara falls or gets hurt badly, and more acrobatic movies :D ( dunno if i said that one already or if someone did O_O)

Ants_27_
12th Nov 2009, 17:52
new screams from keeley when lara falls or gets hurt badly, and more acrobatic movies :D ( dunno if i said that one already or if someone did O_O)

Variation in the screams would be good. Plus, new moves wouldn't go amiss!:D

Arctic
12th Nov 2009, 19:04
New screams! :D

Ants_27_
12th Nov 2009, 19:42
New screams! :D

We are all evil buggers at heart:lol:

GamemasterJJ
13th Nov 2009, 17:30

I want tomb raider 9 to have melee moves, kicks, punches, flips, all the other legend, underworld and anniversar moves.... i want better gameplay and more enemies and the head set!

They'll think the same about next-gen gamers. You just have to learn to accept everybodies opinion.:)

Flintmelody
13th Nov 2009, 17:51

I have been a massive Tomb Raider since the late 90's. Is charming you want us to go away. Does everyone respect Core for trying with AOD and their TRA? Is only the same thing other way round.

Would really some depth and gritty darkness to environments (like AOD or TRL). A lot more evasive action combat like jumping out of way and hiding behind things.

Love better AI, improving Lara's face, return of old music, more outfits, day/night and some sims like stuff (mansion would be best for that).

Arctic
13th Nov 2009, 18:33
We are all evil buggers at heart:lol:

:lol: So true!

New and more creative ways for Lara to die, would be good as well :D

nikkinickels
13th Nov 2009, 19:37
i hope they have fun glitches too, not bad ones that would make us start over or prevent us from going on with the game, but ones we'll laugh at :)

Randy 54
14th Nov 2009, 00:52
What they should take into consideration, hmmmmmm, let me see, how about "you can't please everybody".

neo111118
14th Nov 2009, 09:44
What they should take into consideration, hmmmmmm, let me see, how about "you can't please everybody".
TRUE
You can't please every one
but we are looking at new moves
Legend and Underworld are very good indeed
but they both use the same engine
No improvement that really matter
We always want more

Randy 54
14th Nov 2009, 23:59
You can't re-invent the wheel. Why not be satisfied with what's already been offered.

Bampire
15th Nov 2009, 00:23
Here's some of my ideas.

Physical Combat - Other then the Firearms, we can bring back the AOD combat system. Stealth, and physical combat. It'd be nice to sneak up behind a human enemy and snap their neck. Or how about a punch to the face? Hand to hand, and foot to face!

Realistic Deaths - Yes, I want another thing back from the Core Games. I love the crunch of her bones when she falls from heights. I love her blood curdling screams as she's about to impale herself onto a large spike implanted into the ground. Bring back those deaths.

Classic Outfits - Gotta have the turq' top, and brown pants. Legend outfit, and the cat suit.

More might be added..

neo111118
15th Nov 2009, 12:39
You can't re-invent the wheel. Why not be satisfied with what's already been offered.
I am satisfied with it
But want more
That does not mean the game sucks
no It is very beautiful
but sometimes wondering
why not longer
why not this and that

You must not be negative

Randy 54
15th Nov 2009, 14:58
You are right, the game should be longer. But, what would that do to the purchase price of the game? All of that technology costs more money to produce and I remember people complaining about what they paid for Underworld which was much less than the older games were when they first came out. I would happily trade in the glitter for a longer game, sometimes less is more.

Ants_27_
15th Nov 2009, 15:04
You are right, the game should be longer. But, what would that do to the purchase price of the game? All of that technology costs more money to produce and I remember people complaining about what they paid for Underworld which was much less than the older games were when they first came out. I would happily trade in the glitter for a longer game, sometimes less is more.

I think if developers (or publishers) follow the same strategy that activision (yes I know they'll go up in a few years anyway) have, games are going to go up again anyway, even if they are short. They know fans will still buy their game. Alas, modern warfare 2. £50 for call of duty, £120 for some crappy special edition, yeah right!:lol:

Ants_27_
15th Nov 2009, 18:30
Back on topic:

Follow, not fight with - I think CD really need to spend a hell of a lot of time on the camera, having it follow Lara and occasionally become static (and zoom out) when 'platforming', allowing the camera to tilt upwards as she climbs. It will then snap back to behind Lara once in an open environment. I have no idea if this is a good idea or not.

Narrative misdirection - this is what most games (I play) pull off badly to be honest. An exception being the MGS series. Basically, allowing the player to think that they know everything about that world, yet they only have one view of it (aka Lara's).For example: having Zip playing an ally in Legend then having him be the reason for the destruction of the manor, his intentions on killing Lara. People don't seem who they really are. Another example being that Lara's mother never really disappeared, she went willingly, knowing her fate. Her decision led by an event before Lara's birth.

Ants_27_
17th Nov 2009, 08:12
This is what TR needs extremely brilliant bosses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giRE5MxrtWo

Now that is a boss fight! Especially the second half.:cool: Please, don't tell me I'm the one creeped out by that performance? It's just brilliant!

surallan
17th Nov 2009, 23:01
Two games I wouldn't mind the next TR totally ripping off for ideas are Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

Imagine Lara rescuing a small kid and having to traverse an environment with kid in hand. Having to leave the kid vulnerable whilst solving a switch puzzle or whatever.

Also, let Lara do a bit of horseriding whilst jumping onto an aeroplane wing, before the plane takes off or something - anyone who's played Shadow of the Colossus will know what I mean.

Real adrenaline-pumping stuff! :D

nikkinickels
18th Nov 2009, 00:21
or running from tumbling rocks, or car chases or animal chases

pinpal
18th Nov 2009, 02:34
I think they need a new looking lara croft. something like thishttp://trgamer8.deviantart.com/art/Tomb-Raider-5-125885683. ;)

nikkinickels
18th Nov 2009, 02:51
i don't know about another croft surgery we should keep her one look x_x although that picture does look good

Ants_27_
18th Nov 2009, 07:51
i don't know about another croft surgery we should keep her one look x_x although that picture does look good

And keep the voice actors the same!:mad2: MGS managed it and there are more characters in that!

neo111118
21st Nov 2009, 12:42
Yes
Boss fights seems reasonable .
I guess we missed that in Underworld