PDA

View Full Version : Would Tomb Raider be alive right now if Core was still making it?

SonicDeeHedgehog
7th Nov 2009, 01:53
Pretend like Eidos never fired Core and they were still making the Tomb Raider games. Do you think they would have been innovative enough to bring the games up to date?

As of AOD, they were still using Lara's old cement truck controls. Think they would have gotten rid of those?

josh1122
7th Nov 2009, 02:02
What does it matter? they're dead

nikkinickels
7th Nov 2009, 02:13
possibly since they got so many complaints on the controls

SonicDeeHedgehog
7th Nov 2009, 02:19
possibly since they got so many complaints on the controls

Some people think they should go back to those controls

josh1122
7th Nov 2009, 02:36
Some people think they should go back to those controls

Because they are not mentally sane lol

Error96_
7th Nov 2009, 02:56
A big question but I do think 'Yes' but probably Core would have been merged into another company.
Core made a complete mess of the controls for AOD and chronicles didn't evolve the series that much from TR2/3 era. However looking at the concept, vision and vibe of AOD for me it the beats CD TR games significantly. Graphics and controls wouldn't have evolved half as fast but story, atmosphere, length, puzzles and music would probably have been better.

Could Core have fixed the controls and got the mechanics side to a new generation? Maybe but they would have probably needed help for another company to get games to next gen. Still there was the pottential with Core for that really great game. With CD maybe they are coasting a bit. Very sollid games but without the vision and flare to be incredible. A slow fade away but probably a longer series. CD have the new era game mechanics and graphics but Core had the better ideas.

If Core were still together I would want them to be the ones making the next TR and that would excite me more about the series. Know that may be unpopular but no point not being honest. There would be a chance that that TR would fail badly but I would still really want to see it.

josh1122
7th Nov 2009, 03:41
If CORE was still in charge of the series, the series would be a bigger joke than it was when they made AOD.

I really wish these CORE threads would die, people wont move on and just let them die in peace :/

CORE = past,dead,gone,goodbye

CD = What we currently have

gotta live with it and move on with it basically

yeah the above post is mean, but its the truth, like Error said, no point in not being honest, so I'll be honest

Gemma_Darkmoon_
7th Nov 2009, 04:10
Don't think Core would have made it alone. The controls mess up showed that. Core would have been just incorporated into a bigger company anyway. The pro-Core view seen so much here does just go to show how fantastic their early work was and the impact they left on people. Of that Core can be proud.

I see the elements of a masterpiece in AOD that Core could have put into sequel games. The task Core had to turn round all the flaws though was large. AOD did had a brilliant chilling story that from the tittle music and opening cutscene to the end had me tottaly drawn in to it. Something sensational was there but seems so sad Core let it slip. If they had turned it round the games would be much better than CD's TR games but don't know if they could have.

Think it's good CD updated things and freshed up the series with Legend. Without Core's story writing TRU seemed to get a bit lost. I would have liked to see Core's TRA and AOD sequels. We won't though so just hope CD can get things in to a great new TR era.

Ants_27_
7th Nov 2009, 09:40
Well I think the past really answers that, if Core were still in charge I don't think they would have made it past AOD. But would they have of managed to conquer (Spelt right?) 360 or PS3, that is a difficult one.

But if Core kept the old grid based movement -if they were still here- I really think they would have been laughed at and would it be quite a stupid idea to even think that the old gameplay would fit in this generation of gaming.

I think that in a way TR was stuck in the past -as of AOD at least- but the same could have been said for Resident Evil, but Capcom did it so I suppose Core could.

But personally I never saw Core as 'talented' developers, I'm not saying they aren't talented just not talented to the extent of some developers. Each to their own though. Does any of that make sense?

I do agree with Josh:cool:

Flintmelody
7th Nov 2009, 23:30
I think Core would still be here. Core had all the best TR ideas and just that magic atmosphere that excited you with every game The way the games were designed and attention to make every aspect great (at least in the early games) shows Core's massive ability.

Think they would have probably pulled it round and when they knew controls were a big ssue they would have changed that for next game. Was nothing wrong with the themes, music and story of AOD. Think the story and areas and music in AOD were tottaly top notch and that showed great posssiblities.

Gutted Core never got to make their Anniversary too. After Core did so much to make TR they should have had that chance.

TR needs that sort of big vision that Core used in it's games. Pay attention to the small details and the big picture to make incredible games rather than just good games. I want better story writing like AOD and unlike the unhinged hodge podge that was the TRU story.

josh1122
7th Nov 2009, 23:34
I don't think CORE's TRA looked very good at all, but thats just my own personal view. Won't really know if it would've been a good game overall since it will never be released but from the video that was shown of it, it didn't look very good :(

Ants_27_
8th Nov 2009, 07:07
I don't think CORE's TRA looked very good at all, but thats just my own personal view. Won't really know if it would've been a good game overall since it will never be released but from the video that was shown of it, it didn't look very good :(

I'm with you and once again it seemed a grid system was in play, or so it seemed in that video.

It was for PSP though I think, no excuse but...

IvanaKC
8th Nov 2009, 13:37
Come on, Tomb Raider would have been dead by now. Core sucks. They don't even know to make Lara jump properly.
Everybody saw Core's TRA and it was disappointment.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
8th Nov 2009, 16:40
In fairness though to Core I don't think CD would have ever have come up the ideas that have made TR one of the best game series out there. The movement of TRU towards the almost same lines as PoP and others shows that CD havn't quite got the innovation of Core's TR. TR at the start was revolutionary for it's time and probably the best games of the late 90's. After Core have given us TR do really hate posts like 'Core sucks' as without them would be no TR at all.

Think was Core was going down a bit at the end and needed help though wish the idea's factory bits of Core had stayed as think their concepts were more spot on than CD's on many factors.

Ants_27_
8th Nov 2009, 18:52
People have come up with the concept of core working as equals with CD to develop TR. To be honest that idea would probably result in some form of civil war because both have different views on where the franchise would have gone.

@GemmaDarkmoon - In a way Core technically did suck because they failed to 'modernize' TR when they developed AOD. In all fairness, AOD wasn't ready but it was clear that they were using the same game-play from the past games.

Now if you look at Resident Evil, they had the same problem, each game used the same tank like controls. But what Capcom did that I don't think Core planned to do was redo the entire game-play system; granted they lost a lot of the horror but they managed it. I mean Resident Evil 4 was probably one of the best (or at least successful)reboot's in a franchise ever.

IvanaKC
8th Nov 2009, 19:16
In fairness though to Core I don't think CD would have ever have come up the ideas that have made TR one of the best game series out there. The movement of TRU towards the almost same lines as PoP and others shows that CD havn't quite got the innovation of Core's TR. TR at the start was revolutionary for it's time and probably the best games of the late 90's. After Core have given us TR do really hate posts like 'Core sucks' as without them would be no TR at all.

Think was Core was going down a bit at the end and needed help though wish the idea's factory bits of Core had stayed as think their concepts were more spot on than CD's on many factors.

Yeah, they had problems in the end, and that proves: THEY DON'T GET ALONG WITH NEW TECHNOLOGY! THEY DON'T KNOW HOT TO USE IT AND THAT'S WHY AOD IS DISAPPOINTMENT!

josh1122
8th Nov 2009, 19:21
I disagree to an extent about CORE being ''innovative''. Sure I'll give them that for THEIR time. It was pretty innovating because there was nothing like it at the same.

I also think people have the right to say CORE sucks, just like they say CD sucks, it works both ways. Just because they created TR doesn't mean they're free from criticism. There is a reason why they're dead now and not making TR games anymore but Ants pretty much explained it

IvanaKC
8th Nov 2009, 19:24
I disagree to an extent about CORE being ''innovative''. Sure I'll give them that for THEIR time. It was pretty innovating because there was nothing like it at the same.

I also think people have the right to say CORE sucks, just like they say CD sucks, it works both ways. Just because they created TR doesn't mean they're free from criticism. There is a reason why they're dead now and not making TR games anymore but Ants pretty much explained it

Yes there is a reason and we all know it. I totally agree with you.

pinpal
9th Nov 2009, 02:57
one word. nope. they would have tomb raider still on the grid base system. Tomb Raider would a laughing stock if core would have stayed. Eidos made the right decision.