PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Controller support?

CraftySloth
14th Aug 2012, 23:58
Hey all.

In the Settings, my controller is being read. It's allowing me to map buttons. In-game, I only have options for keyboard configurations. Anyone know what gives?

Sen_Auditore
15th Aug 2012, 00:00
Hey all.

In the Settings, my controller is being read. It's allowing me to map buttons. In-game, I only have options for keyboard configurations. Anyone know what gives?

There is a thread that helps out with that, look for it.

CraftySloth
15th Aug 2012, 00:05
Unfortunately, that thread doesn't state how to get the controller option to appear. It just explains what the ideal configuration is.

Sen_Auditore
15th Aug 2012, 00:07
Unfortunately, that thread doesn't state how to get the controller option to appear. It just explains what the ideal configuration is.

Ah, bugger. Well I would say replug it, make sure its detected, the re launch the launcher, that might help.

lawlshark
17th Aug 2012, 19:59
Hey all, I can't get my controller to sync! I have the drivers installed for the receiver and I have already tried this method:

Go to Start and right click on Computer

Click on Properties

Click on Device Manager

Look for an "Unknown Device" in the list and double-click on it.

Click on the "Driver" tab

Click on "Update Driver..."

Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"

Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

Double-click on "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows"

- But it is not working. I am using Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. Any help is greatly appreciated!

crono1973
17th Aug 2012, 20:54
Hey all, I can't get my controller to sync! I have the drivers installed for the receiver and I have already tried this method:

Go to Start and right click on Computer

Click on Properties

Click on Device Manager

Look for an "Unknown Device" in the list and double-click on it.

Click on the "Driver" tab

Click on "Update Driver..."

Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"

Choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

Double-click on "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows"

- But it is not working. I am using Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Turn the controller on (which will turn your 360 on if it's still synced to it), hold down the sync button on the controller (a little button on the top of the controller) while also holding in the sync button on the PC adapter.

Now, go turn the 360 off manually since it's probably on.

manyofhorrors
19th Aug 2012, 10:19
Ok, so I have paged through all the forums and found quite a few posts about issues with controller remapping and Xbox 360 controllers, however I have not found one like mine specifically so I figured I would post it and see if anyone had any helpful tips on getting it to work.

So, my issue is I can not configure my controls at all. I can change my Keyboard controls in the launcher and in game however the launcher 'Joystike' config tab only shows me what the buttons are and doesn't allow me to change them. In game I only have the keyboard config option and no gamepad. Now, when I play the game, I am using the controller but I want to set the controls up to mimic the PSX version of the game. While this isn't game breaking to me, it is very annoying to find myself instinctively trying to use the PSX controls that have been burned into my brain and having to correct myself over and over. Apparently I am a slow learner or really set in my ways.

Things I have done so far.
-Unplugged and reseated my controller
-Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and Xbox 360 accessories software
-Exited and re-entered the game and launcher several times (I read a post about a guy having issues with the controller not being recognized)
-Uninstalled my Nestromo n52te because it caused Ys Origins and YsIII steam games to not work.

I saw people posting remapping apps but I would rather if at all possible just do it via game client. If not, I suppose I will end up dabbling in those remapping apps if I get really frustrated.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help and thanks for taking the time to read my post.

MoonUNit
19th Aug 2012, 10:39
Is the controller even detected by the OS?

What OS are you using?

manyofhorrors
19th Aug 2012, 10:52
Is the controller even detected by the OS?

What OS are you using?

Windows 7 64 ultimate and yes, it is detected by Windows.

MoonUNit
19th Aug 2012, 11:24
Huh. I'm using Win 7 Pro x64 and it is detected fine.

Have you uninstalled the gamepad from device manager and rebooted?

manyofhorrors
19th Aug 2012, 11:26
I did uninstall and restart.

member_10494588
19th Aug 2012, 16:43
Do you have more than one joystick/gamepad?

I had a similar problem at first launch, where it wasn't recognized at all, after a few re-launches it suddenly was. Then I could map it in the launcher, but the game didn't detect movement. So I unplugged my other controllers and it worked. I have 3 game controllers (1 joystick, 1 360, 1 PS2 -> USB). It was detecting my joystcik in place of the 360 one until I removed them. Then I went into Windows Gamepad control panel and selected the 360 as the default controller, since my Saitek Joystick was set as default for some older flight sims I play.

If you have, and it still doesn't work; then I'd recommend Xpadder. It will cost a few dollars (unless it's gone free?) but it's so worth it for times when you play games that just don't have controller support, or if you want to play a game from the couch or bed without taking a keyboard with you (you can map controls to mouse/keyboard for something like Mass Effect).

I actually played for 5 hours with xpadder controls just mappign the default keyboard controls to their respective PS controller mapping. After I got the 360 pad working, I realized there in fact was still no true analog movement, so it didn't matter at all. Behaves exactly the same way.

manyofhorrors
19th Aug 2012, 18:58
I had my Nestromo N52 speed pad installed but I uninstalled it completely and unplugged it. Other than that, I have a Naga mouse which I uninstalled and hooked up my old Logitech mouse just in case the numberpad on the side of the mouse could have been an issue as well. I've been looking up things and reading stuff all day. I even called Microsoft trying to find out if the fact that my controller is a first gen controller would be an issue. That went over like the lead shoe....

Anyway, I have pretty much exhausted all avenues except for Xpadder or any other remapping program, so I suppose I will just venture into that territory next.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to look at my post and ask questions and give me possible answers.

lawlshark
20th Aug 2012, 00:18
I've done this, the controller lights search then just resort bad to all blinking, instead of connecting. It seems the receiver isn't reading the controllers connection.

Any other thoughts on this?

lyk13
20th Aug 2012, 01:52
This is how I do it:

1. Plug in the Wireless Receiver

2. Power on your controller, it probably connects to your Xbox360 if it was synced

3. Press the button on the receiver to start sync

4. Press the button prependicular to the BACK button on your controller at the top of your controller to sync the controller with the wireless receiver

5. Done.

How hard is this? I didn't even mess with device manager, unless your Windows did not install the drivers necessary.

lyk13
20th Aug 2012, 09:05
Personally I have experiened this a couple of times and can more or less verify the solution.

I would usually off-focus the FF7 window to my browser or anywhere else on my PC (I have 2 monitors) for some time, and due to inactivity, the Xbox360 controller will turn off by itself.

If you re-focus on the FF7 window with the controller turned off, when you started the game with it ON, you will get Unknown Exception has occured and the entire window will hang.

So do remember to turn on your controller before alt-tab or re-focus the FF7 game window, otherwise, if you had not saved, you will lose your progress.

P.S. I have not tried turning on the controller AFTER the exception occured to see if the game resumes normally, but rule of thumb is what I stated above.

Cheers. :)

lawlshark
23rd Aug 2012, 14:43
It's not hard at all, I have downloaded and installed the drivers and I try to sync them both. My controller just searches and searches and can't find anything.

That is my issue.

manyofhorrors
25th Aug 2012, 19:13
Well I went and bought a new controller. It hasn't done anything. I have relaunched FF7 over and over, checking to see if it would do anything. Still in the same boat.

I don't know, I am really really annoyed with this. I am almost to the point of just requesting a refund and walking away. I am not 100% blaming SE at all. It could be an issue with my pc but either way, it's become a headache with no end or help in sight.

If anyone has any helpful tips I am greatful.

AskaLangly
25th Aug 2012, 20:27
I have the wired 360 controller plugged in, and I have other various adapters for PS2 and Wii (Classic) controllers.
Mind I have installed the official drivers for the controller, found here: www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-... (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows)
I am having no issue. Just make sure you set the controls to a similar fashion as the PSX format:
U/D/L/R will be the stick, not the D-Pad.
What was Circle is B, X is A, Square is X, Triangle is Y.
L1/R1 are the Bumpers.
L2/R2 cannot be the Triggers, as they are throttles and not buttons. Map those to the stick buttons.
Select is Back, Start is, well, Start.

Hope this helps.

quigonkenny
29th Aug 2012, 23:51
Someone named Pawe? over in a different thread (na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139347... (/go/thread/view/139347/29318035/FFIIV_I_have_several_issues)) found what I believe should be the solution to the "can remap but can't play" controller issue. In Vista or 7, go into "Devices and Printers" (on the right side in the Start Menu). Find your controller, right-click it, and select "Game controller settings", then select "Advanced". Then select the controller you're using at the one "to use with older programs". If anyone is having the same issue in xp, there might be a similar option under game controller settings in the Control Panel.

Now the only issue for me is getting the less used buttons (the Select button, the shoulder buttons) set up how they were in the original game. Wait, never mind. Found a page comparing the button naming with the original PSX layout (www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/buttons.php (http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/buttons.php)).

eleclerc
1st Sep 2012, 09:12
Just to help people with PS1 like buttons.

Image Link : img515.imageshack.us/img515/1507/xboxcon... (http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1507/xboxcontrol2.gif)

OK : B

CANCEL : A

MENU : Y

UP : Up

LEFT : Left

RIGHT : Right

DOWN : Down

START : Start

SWITCH : X

PAGEDOWN : LB

PAGEUP : RB

TARGET : L*

ASSIST : Back

CAMERA : R*

You have to press on joysticks left/right to activate.

sharding
13th Sep 2012, 19:32
Hello Tzelanit,

If you are still experiencing this issue we would like you to try the following:

<ul>
Go into your Device Manager > Human Interface Devices
Right click on any entries that say HID-compliant consumer control device, for example, USB Input Device, USB Game Controller, HID-compliant device.
Right click and disable every device apart from your keyboard, mouse and controller.
[/list]

Once complete, launch the client and go to the settings screen to reconfirm you have properly configured the controller. afterwhich, try logging into the game and see if the issue persists.

If you still have problems after trying these steps, please let us know and we will look into this issue further for you.

Thanks!

Clouder90
13th Sep 2012, 21:16
I'd like to add that there are no Controller setup in-game. It is only in the launcher.

tomwolfe84
16th Sep 2012, 01:53
Anyone know how to map a 360 Controller to match that of a old PS1 Controller mapping for this game.

quigonkenny
1st Oct 2012, 16:13
Anyone know how to map a 360 Controller to match that of a old PS1 Controller mapping for this game.

[OK] -- B (red)

[CANCEL] -- A (green)

[MENU] -- Y (yellow)

[START] -- "Start"

[SWITCH] -- X (blue)

[PAGE UP] -- LB

[PAGE DOWN] -- RB

[TARGET] -- Right Stick (push in)*

[ASSIST] -- "Back"

[CAMERA] -- Left Stick (push in)*

*The game cannot register axis inputs for button presses, so the left and right triggers cannot be mapped to [TARGET] and [CAMERA] (R2 and L2). That's why I have mapped them to the stick buttons. Windows also sees the 360 D-pad as a hat controller, which the game also does not allow to be mapped, so you have to use the left analog stick for movement (it is correct by default).

Also, do not forget to go into "Devices and Printers", right-click your 360 controller, select "Game Controller Settings", select "Advanced...", and choose the 360 controller as the "Preferred device". The launcher will always see the 360 controller fine (so you can map buttons either way), but if you don't change that setting, then the game itself will not see it fine, and you'll constantly move up and to the left.

penderhippy-462595
24th Oct 2012, 16:42
In the settings it just says Button 1, Button 2, Button 3, and even then it doesn't say which buttons it is for run.

So with the default Xbox 360 controller what are the buttons to run away from a battle?

Freyar
26th Oct 2012, 21:44
Whatever buttons you set to page up and page down are what you use to run. (In this case, I went through and mapped them to the bumpers.) You have to press BOTH.

Locke255
23rd Nov 2012, 16:27
Set the controller before you load up the game. Not in the in game config. Took me forever to finally figure that out. I could not understand why the controller wasn't showing up in config.

Clouder90
25th Nov 2012, 17:35
Yes, the controller config is in the launcher, not in-game. Go to where you can change the keyboard layout in the launcher. There you can find the controller-tab right next to keyboard-tab.

SE-Chris
28th Nov 2012, 17:52
Thanks for the tips you guys, I hope this helps out those that were running into an issue.

JesterXIII
16th Dec 2012, 14:14
I know the controls need to be edited in the launcher, not the game. However, I'm having an issue changing those controls. The controller, whether it be the Onza or the 360 controller, seems to be unresponsive when I try to remap a key. However, the control panel shows that both are working properly, and I'm able to use them just fine in other games. When I launch FFVII, the game recognizes the controller as well and it works just fine as long as I use the default map. I just can't seem to change the keybindings in the Joystick section of the launcher. Anyone happen to know why?

JesterXIII
19th Dec 2012, 19:51
Well, is there a way to change the controls via text file? Such as an editable .INI or .DAT file some where instead?

JesterXIII
30th Dec 2012, 21:26
I'm still keeping an eye on this thread just incase someone pops along with an idea, but for those who the same issue, I haven't found a solution yet, sorry :(

Grimoire
31st Dec 2012, 03:11
Contact [Customer Support] support.na.square-enix.com/contact.php?i... (https://support.na.square-enix.com/contact.php?id=444&la=1)

Rexeos
28th Feb 2013, 16:27
Hi,

when I start FFVII launcher appears. When I go to Setting menu and to Joystick menu I can change buttons. But when I launch game - controller doesnt work, only keyboard. Any idea how to make it work?

Thx.

SE-Chris
2nd Mar 2013, 13:47
We apologize that you seem to be having issues with your controller. We have some suggestions to resolve this issue.

- We strongly suggest using a genuine Xbox360 controller as these are compatable with the Windows Operating System.
- You may want to try plugging the controller into different ports (both front and back) to see if one of them recognizes the controller and allows you to use it within the game.
- Make sure the drivers for the controller are fully up to date.
- Uninstall and reinstall the device drivers.
- Disable all other device drivers, leaving the mouse, keyboard, and your controller as the only devices active.
- If you have a specialized gaming keyboard you may want to try using a different keyboard to be sure there are no conflicts with that device.
- Try unplugging all other devices and only plugging in the mouse, keyboard, and your controller.
- Make sure Windows has been fully update from the Microsoft/Windows Update website.

We hope that these suggestions resolves your issue. Should you continue to have the same issue, please reply to this email with any other steps you may have taken to resolve the issue on your own.

member_10015623
25th May 2013, 17:36
Hi,

I am having this exact same issue. I've been looking everywhere, including in this forum, and still do not see a solution anywhere. Has anyone figured this out?

stvsimms
2nd Jun 2013, 15:38
I'll add that no usb controller appears to work. Please fix. Having a drop down to select which "joystick" the game is recognizing would be best.

This game begs to be played with a controller.

Pigout-574617
6th Jul 2013, 05:33
Testing this out on my machine, my Wireless 360 controller will not work, even when switching USB ports. It does work with every other game I have played however.

Oddly enough, if I use my Wired 360 pad, it works with the game no problem. Any ideas why that is?

The Wired USB device shows up as "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows" for the gamepad.

The Wireless pad shows up as "Xbox 360 Wireless Controller".

Please tell me there isn't some device name hard coding going on to cause this issue. Yes these are both official Xbox 360 controllers, microsoft branded.

member_10370553
6th Jul 2013, 15:17
You need to enable it in your "game controllers" setting in Windows. If using Windows 7 just click "start" and type in "game controllers" and select "set up USB game controllers", then select your gamepad in the list > click advanced > and select the controller again under preferred device > "Ok" out of everything.

Pigout-574617
6th Jul 2013, 15:31
You need to enable it in your "game controllers" setting in Windows. If using Windows 7 just click "start" and type in "game controllers" and select "set up USB game controllers", then select your gamepad in the list > click advanced > and select the controller again under preferred device > "Ok" out of everything.

You were completely right. Verbage for screen in question was Game Controller Settings from a right click in Devices and Printers.

Here is a screenshot of the related info, as my advanced option was set to (none). Changed to controller and loaded game up with wireless pad working. Thanks!

Image link:

funtimebliss.com//pics/360PadFFVII.png (http://funtimebliss.com//pics/360PadFFVII.png)

Newshadow
25th Aug 2013, 19:50
Anyone know of a way to customize the Xbox 360 Wired Controller with FVII? Using the game launcher settings lets me see that buttons are mapped, but doesn't let me change them. In game I can select config, but only has the keyboard keys, doesn't have a column for the controller. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Monterunthecity
28th Jun 2014, 23:53
help?

hznQwZCSeivyplcinkL
7th Jul 2014, 04:22
Currently the input is incorrect in the settings menu ... A/B/X/Y is read as the dpad and the dpad input doesn't work. For some reason (right thumbstick) up/down and left/right are swapped. The left thumbstick and triggers work though.

You would need an app like pinnacle game profiler or motionjoy to map keyboard controls to your controller or wait for it to get fixed.