PDA

View Full Version : ATI and Anti-Aliasing

bladehawk
5th Nov 2009, 06:13
So Eidos has received approval to remove the vendor lock that artificially prevents ATI cards from using Anti-Aliasing. When will this happen? Am I just late to the party and it's in patch 1.1? My new PC will have ATI cards rather than Nvidia when it arrives and I'd like batman to work properly.

Now if only the Physx patch would come out...

sprach
6th Nov 2009, 21:58
There's no problem in enabling MSAA for Ati cards in BAA, except the fact that you'd have to do it in the CCC and not in the game launcher since it reports that AA is being controlled by CCC. For Physx i suggest you purchase a mid range nvidia like 9600gt for instance and run it as a dedicated physx card. You'll only be able to do this either in Win7 or Win XP and by using GenL's patch.

deders
7th Nov 2009, 02:04
I'd say 8800gt/9800gt minimum for a physx card, the launcher recommends a 9800gtx+. you'll need something with around 128 shader cores otherwise you'll probably get physx objects floating still in midair or disappearing.

bladehawk
11th Nov 2009, 05:23
There's no problem in enabling MSAA for Ati cards in BAA, except the fact that you'd have to do it in the CCC and not in the game launcher since it reports that AA is being controlled by CCC. For Physx i suggest you purchase a mid range nvidia like 9600gt for instance and run it as a dedicated physx card. You'll only be able to do this either in Win7 or Win XP and by using GenL's patch.

I have a 260 laying around, but not sure it will fit in the case, we'll have to see. outside AA isn't as efficient from what I've read, but it does function.

homeycdawg
11th Nov 2009, 09:12
I have a 260 laying around, but not sure it will fit in the case, we'll have to see. outside AA isn't as efficient from what I've read, but it does function.

The game doing the AA will be better performance than forced AA, as it's being used more efficiently by the game engine. Nvidia wrote the AA code in the game, and it's a shame they decided to make it proprietary when it works just fine on ATI cards, just because they could.

BTW I feel ya about the card. I have a big fat Antec case and my 260 barely fits. Tons of space above and below it. :)

bladehawk
11th Nov 2009, 22:07
The game doing the AA will be better performance than forced AA, as it's being used more efficiently by the game engine. Nvidia wrote the AA code in the game, and it's a shame they decided to make it proprietary when it works just fine on ATI cards, just because they could.

BTW I feel ya about the card. I have a big fat Antec case and my 260 barely fits. Tons of space above and below it. :)

What kills me is I tossed out a 9800 card when the other card (in SLI) died and the PC company sent me 2 260's..... only one of which fits in the case because of the card legnth.