PDA

View Full Version : Question about the bat motif

thedarknight2016
1st Nov 2009, 17:21
Do you think bruce could still fight crime efficently if he dropped the bat motif and stopped scarring crimnals. Personally i think he could because hes physically and menatlly that good.. call me a bruce fanboy

archeagle
1st Nov 2009, 17:31
The whole idea of the bat suit/cape is to scare criminals witless and deter them from crime. I'm sure he could still stop crime, though it would be harder.

Sir Legendhead
1st Nov 2009, 22:49
He could do more to stop crime as a lobbyist than as a vigilante, if you want to be totally realistic about it. The guy's got infinite money and a good public image, which would allow him to get any kind of legislation passed that he would want in Gotham.

Hall E Woode
2nd Nov 2009, 17:02
If we're talking about Bruce dropping the mantle and becoming a public crusader with money and what not, I don't think he'd be that effective, having already been Batman. Because sooner or later, his past will come to light, and too many people would question Bruce's sanity for him to be able to make any sizable difference in Gotham. (Not to mention the no doubt hundreds if not thousands of legal cases that would face him - lots of lawsuits.)

At this point, Bruce is trapped in the Bat's mask. "Bruce Wayne" the billionaire must always be the mindless playboy.

deders
2nd Nov 2009, 20:15
The batsuit makes him almost mythical, a legend that gets bigger and bigger the more it is retold, so the impact that he has when criminals first set eyes on him gives him a huge advantage because they are so afraid of whatever version of the story they've heard.

Also the Batsuit means he can deal with criminals in ways that normal citizens would get locked up for.

Jay Melanos
2nd Nov 2009, 23:51
As said in Batman Begins, Bruce Wayne is human. He can be hurt, he can be killed.

Batman is a symbol, which can live longer than any person can.

jtr7
3rd Nov 2009, 01:44
If Gotham knew that Bruce was Batman, he'd be arrested and tried and fined and sued, etc., and he'd need his money to make things easier on himself. He'd very likely be held without bail. Only if he had friends in every position, would he get out of it, but it would certainly become a Federal case. It wouldn't work, fellas.

homeycdawg
3rd Nov 2009, 04:05
I think he could still fight crime without the bat motif. He'd still be the worlds greatest detective, and he would still be super trained and have his gadgets.

I must say though, being Batman is what makes him a super hero, instead of just be some rich guy who fights crime. After all, Batman outlived Bruce Wayne if I'm not mistaken.

Sir Legendhead
3rd Nov 2009, 06:21
After all, Batman outlived Bruce Wayne if I'm not mistaken.Depends on the version. In The Dark Knight Returns, Bruce Wayne faked his death and allowed his identity to be revealed, which effectively killed off both personas.

In the current Batman comics...well, they're written by Grant Morrison, who clearly has a different sense of perspective than most when it comes to killing off characters...

http://anyeventuality.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/animalman26page07detail.JPG

http://jlg1.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/animalman26-19.jpg

^ From Morrison's work on Animal Man, where he wrote himself into the story as God. That's him in the trenchcoat. His run on that book is my favorite out of all the comics I've ever read, including The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen.

edit (12:32 am) - got off topic a bit there, maybe. What I'm trying to say is that Morrison takes a more metaphysical view of things, which means that Bruce Wayne isn't necessarily "dead". He's been shown alive in the end of Final Crisis, but nobody really knows where Morrison is going with this yet.

second edit (2:34 am) for me to get back to the original topic with -

If we're talking about Bruce dropping the mantle and becoming a public crusader with money and what not, I don't think he'd be that effective, having already been Batman. Because sooner or later, his past will come to light, and too many people would question Bruce's sanity for him to be able to make any sizable difference in Gotham. (Not to mention the no doubt hundreds if not thousands of legal cases that would face him - lots of lawsuits.)

At this point, Bruce is trapped in the Bat's mask. "Bruce Wayne" the billionaire must always be the mindless playboy.

That brings up a good point. If Bruce Wayne suddenly developed a social conscience at the same time that Batman stopped showing up, people would be able to connect the dots fairly easily. He is after all known to be a victim of crime...the playboy act is really the only thing that helps him avoid suspicion. If he didn't act like such a tool, Gotham would immediately realize that he's the only guy in town who can afford all of Batman's toys.

shadowmatt18
3rd Dec 2009, 03:20
go read "batman:year one" and it will explain why he doesn't do it in street clothes anymore.

MKBat
3rd Dec 2009, 03:28
I will say Bruce will do very well without the Batsuit. He would be like bruce lee. He would maybe be faster since the bat suit slows him down alittle. Also he would be more vulnerable to knives and guns and will take more damage to his body. But definitely faster then before in moving.

KillerCroc
3rd Dec 2009, 03:47
If he didn't have the Batsuit then my guess is he would pull a Boss Tweed move and just control Gotham using his vast fortune. It seems the Batsuit keeps him from doing something as stupid as this, but I think the Boss Tweed thing would've been cooler.

Drazar
3rd Dec 2009, 03:57
Bruce pretty much made himself an ideal and a symbol. This is from DC: One Million where 31th century heroes came to modern era, this was written by Morrison by the way:
http://i48.tinypic.com/wbz9si.jpg

Judging from his latest runs tho. He's pretty much making Bruce = One True Batman, while others just follow his idea and symbol really, but noone of them have been as dedicated as he, but hey some are very close! :P

The_Hylden
3rd Dec 2009, 14:14
Back to the Year One and Dark Knight movie take on that: Bruce couldn't do anything with his money because of the corruption of the mob and the politicians already in Gotham. No amount of money could have stopped them from most likely assassinating him if he tried, so the only way for him to fight this all was to don the Batman persona, after first trying and failing without it as a street vigilante.

Now, you take this version that Gotham was just oo far corrupted, and you see that it was the only way in the beginning. Now that years have gone by, as stated above, Batman can't simply not be and Bruce try the ol' legislative way. Unless he gives over the suit to Grayson, or someone else, permanantly, and then does it. Batman does have to still be out there, or else people will put 2 and 2 together, eventually.

But, the real reason Batman is needed is because HE'S SO FRIGGIN' COOL! :) That is why we want to see him continue on, besides all of the "well, if this were real" or my justifications, etc. We want to see a cool crime fighter/superhero fight all manner of evil on the streets of Gotham :D

Rareless09
3rd Dec 2009, 16:15
Back to the Year One and Dark Knight movie take on that: Bruce couldn't do anything with his money because of the corruption of the mob and the politicians already in Gotham. No amount of money could have stopped them from most likely assassinating him if he tried, so the only way for him to fight this all was to don the Batman persona, after first trying and failing without it as a street vigilante.

Good point, I agree with this.

BatDood
3rd Dec 2009, 22:20

I'd agree with this statement as well.

If you equate it to real-life high profile figures, there are enough assassinations on individuals who've had tons of security literally surrounding them. No matter how much money Bruce has, it would be hard to avoid this outcome. As Batman, the anonymity that it creates more or less moves the target from Bruce and focuses it on his Batman persona. A persona that is usually quite well equipped to deal with most of those types of situations. From organized crime figures to crazed murderers.

thedarknight2016
3rd Dec 2009, 23:13
go read "batman:year one" and it will explain why he doesn't do it in street clothes anymore.

ive read it but just asking what u guys think

Sir Legendhead
4th Dec 2009, 05:19
Back to the Year One and Dark Knight movie take on that: Bruce couldn't do anything with his money because of the corruption of the mob and the politicians already in Gotham. No amount of money could have stopped them from most likely assassinating him if he tried, so the only way for him to fight this all was to don the Batman persona, after first trying and failing without it as a street vigilante.It's not so much a matter of personal security as it would be effectiveness. If he tried to achieve his goals through the world of politics, he'd eventually have to compromise his principles just like all the other politicians before him. Becoming an archetypal urban legend that motivates the city on a grassroots level would be the only "White Knight" solution to such a problem.