PDA

View Full Version : BSOD on ATI- AMD and Graphic problem

sprach
1st Nov 2009, 11:18
Hi there!
Got some strange graphics glitch. It happens first time I start the game - when I close and restart the game/restart CPU it goes away. Starting the game after booting I get a flashing screen with lots of yellow which can only be described as psychedelic! Closing the game and re-starting it solves the problem thereafter until next time the PC is booted and its there again. BUT i wouldn't mind if it were only for this minor glitch.
The big issue is that after re-entering the game i can play about 30mins-1 hour after which i get a BSOD. I keep getting it EVERY SINGLE TIMEi run the game without exception, with the message of the BSOD of physical dump memory. All other games like nfs shift , wolfenstein, dreamkiller work perfectly giving me no BSOD, so this is a Batman issue in my opinion. This BSOD even managed to disable my pc from booting into win7 x 64 ultimate i.e. messing up my windows installation, which is EVEN WORSE. The Raid was still intact, but on POST screen it would not get to load the OS, so i had to format and re-install.
My config is Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P Phenom II 965 8gb DDR3 1600 kingston HyperX, 2xwd velociraptor 300 in RAID 0, 1.5 TB Seagate 7200rpm, X-fi Titanium, with Real Power 1000W. Graphics card the sapphire 4870x2. No OC at all. All drivers are up-to-date.The same issue happened in vista 64 ultimate as well.

Patch 1.1 is installed.

Any help? Thank you in advance.

deders
1st Nov 2009, 13:12
If your game is freezing/crashing after a certain period of playing then it is most likely something is getting too hot.

Check your Graphics temperature (download gpuz) and cpu temperatures (download coretemp or check the bios) before and after a few mins of gameplay.

You may have to click on gpuz and bring it to the fore to get an accurate updated temperature as it doesn't update unless it is the active window.

sprach
1st Nov 2009, 21:55
Ok, did install gpu-z
Load temps show 65C at a manual fan speed of 60% in CCC.
CPU temps 53C. Forgot to mention i have a Scythe Zipang 2 installed on my Phenom II 965. Being top-down cpu cooler it also blows some air over the ram sticks.
I also installed a Palit 9600 GT Sonic Edition with 1024DDR3 for physx processing. No conflicts with the geforce card whatsoever; just the usual lock-ups coming from nowhere. I can even live with the pc locking up, but my primary concern is the fact that it might and already did mess up my windows install, regardless whether it was vista or win7.
I disabled the hdmi audio from the 4870x2 card, read here on the forum it might help, but to no avail :(.
Any other ideas?
Thank you for a swift reply.

Quick follow-up... 4870x2 temps after 15 mins of gameplay at 72C with fan at 60% in CCC.

deders
1st Nov 2009, 22:03
Temps look fine, did you install the nvidia card before or after the lockup's occurred?
whet were the nvidia's temps?

sprach
1st Nov 2009, 22:16
Nvidia card was installed after the lock-ups. i already finished Batman Arkham Asylum once without the 9600gt but bugged by these random crashes. The Geforce was installed on Friday because i wanted to enrich my batman experience due to the lack of physx in my 4870x2's. Nvidia temps are at 55C according to gpu-z. might climb up to max 60C, but i think it's within acceptable limits.

Temps after 30 mins of gameplay at 65C on the 4870x2.

Short notice: Although it seems quite improbable to track it as a source of my bsod, it could be my 1.5 TB Seagate HDD, with the famous firmware bug. I got the HDD updated, but from time to time it vanishes from Win and Bios, although i'm in doubt as to it being the source of BSOD, because it happens only in ... physx accelerated games, darkest of days as well, but not so often like B-man.

deders
1st Nov 2009, 22:38
you and el capitan both have a 4870x2, may be worthwhile seeing what else you have in common. It's probably worth removing the ATI and trying the game on your 9600 to see if it clears up. (may have to update the drivers if you are using old ones for physx, then re-install the old ones when you're finished)

sprach
1st Nov 2009, 22:45
ati drivers are catalyst 9.10
nvidia drivers are 191.07
physx drivers - 9.09.0814.

Those are the latest drivers downloaded from ati/nvidia.

Will have to try running the game with the nvidia card alone.

deders
1st Nov 2009, 22:46
Quick follow-up... 4870x2 temps after 15 mins of gameplay at 72C with fan at 60% in CCC.

a quick google shows that 4870x2's should operate up to 115-120C (although i'd still be worried if they were above 100)

deders
1st Nov 2009, 22:47
ati drivers are catalyst 9.10
nvidia drivers are 191.07
physx drivers - 9.09.0814.

Those are the latest drivers downloaded from ati/nvidia.

Will have to try running the game with the nvidia card alone.

I thought you had to run the nvidia card on 186.something to get it to play nice with the ATI. may not apply to windows 7, 191.07 should be fine to test the game with.

sprach
1st Nov 2009, 23:23
I thought you had to run the nvidia card on 186.something to get it to play nice with the ATI. may not apply to windows 7, 191.07 should be fine to test the game with.
You're right, 186 was the last working version to get along with ati cards as gpu render until nividia decided to disable physx if NV Control panel detected another card as main gpu, but then GenL posted a patch re-enabling physx for 191.07.

Ok, I played for about 1 1/2 hours an no bsod. Truth is it wasn't a sustained gaming session, 'cause of the in between forum posts.

Off-topic: Personally i think it's a bad call for nvidia to disable ati+nv physx, because i, as a consumer, bought the 9600gt just because of physx a couple of days ago... If it hadn't been for this new patch, i wouldn't have bought the Nvidia card at all, resulting in no money for them.

sprach
1st Nov 2009, 23:26
a quick google shows that 4870x2's should operate up to 115-120C (although i'd still be worried if they were above 100)

I was thinkin' of getting one of those accelero extreme 4870x2 coolers for my card, unfortunately they're pretty scarce where i live and the 5870x2 is nearing its debut so i don't really know if its an advisable move to purchase this gpu cooler even if i managed to find one.

deders
1st Nov 2009, 23:26
so we have the culprit?

off-topic: I agree, i think they have needlessly shot themselves in the foot here, but tbh i can't see Physx going much further once there is an api that runs on both kinds.

deders
1st Nov 2009, 23:27
I was thinkin' of getting one of those accelero extreme 4870x2 coolers for my card, unfortunately they're pretty scarce where i live and the 5870x2 is nearing its debut so i don't really know if its an advisable move to purchase this gpu cooler even if i managed to find one.

I wouldn't bother if you're not even hitting 80

sprach
1st Nov 2009, 23:35
so we have the culprit?

off-topic: I agree, i think they have needlessly shot themselves in the foot here, but tbh i can't see Physx going much further once there is an api that runs on both kinds.

I'm not so sure whether i've isolated the problem or not. I'd have to run a couple of more tests to get some , let's say more relevant results. The only thing i changed, but not drastically, were the rpms in CCC from 40-50% up to 60% when the noise threshold is really becoming annoying, but i think i can live with that provided my pc stops from delivering these random crashes.

sprach
6th Nov 2009, 21:55
I've been running the game for 3-4 days since my last post without crash. The only issue left is the initial graphical corruption and flickering which can be corrected by exiting the game and relaunching it right away.
Guess I'm gonna have to live with a little bit of noise (constant 60% of the GPU stock cooler) and that minor initial glitch, but as long as those nasty BSODs keep away I'll declare myself satisfied.

deders
7th Nov 2009, 02:07
if your case supports it you could probably get a quiet side fan to draw hot air away from your graphics cards so their fans don't need to work as hard.

sprach
8th Nov 2009, 21:25
My case, Aplus El Diablo, already has a 360 mm side fan installed, so at least theoretically airflow shouldn't be a problem.

deders
8th Nov 2009, 22:07
Is it the one making the noise? drawing air off or blowing it on?

Sir Kenny the Dead
10th Nov 2009, 19:12
Hi there!
Got some strange graphics glitch. It happens first time I start the game - when I close and restart the game/restart CPU it goes away. Starting the game after booting I get a flashing screen with lots of yellow which can only be described as psychedelic! Closing the game and re-starting it solves the problem thereafter until next time the PC is booted and its there again. BUT i wouldn't mind if it were only for this minor glitch.
The big issue is that after re-entering the game i can play about 30mins-1 hour after which i get a BSOD. I keep getting it EVERY SINGLE TIMEi run the game without exception, with the message of the BSOD of physical dump memory. All other games like nfs shift , wolfenstein, dreamkiller work perfectly giving me no BSOD, so this is a Batman issue in my opinion. This BSOD even managed to disable my pc from booting into win7 x 64 ultimate i.e. messing up my windows installation, which is EVEN WORSE. The Raid was still intact, but on POST screen it would not get to load the OS, so i had to format and re-install.
My config is Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P Phenom II 965 8gb DDR3 1600 kingston HyperX, 2xwd velociraptor 300 in RAID 0, 1.5 TB Seagate 7200rpm, X-fi Titanium, with Real Power 1000W. Graphics card the sapphire 4870x2. No OC at all. All drivers are up-to-date.The same issue happened in vista 64 ultimate as well.

Patch 1.1 is installed.

Any help? Thank you in advance.
My config is ASUS mxn2 se plus, AMD Athalon 64x2 duel (overclocked to @ 2.65GHz), 4 GB kingston DDR2 1066 ram, 500 GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA, corsair 640w PSU, realtek HD audio, ATI radeon HD 4890 with 9.10 catalyst drivers and windows XP home edition

Before you ignore the rest of this post, please note that I am NOT seeking any support for world of warcraft (aka WoW). With that said, I play WoW a LOT. I was experiencing the random BSOD and got error 134's quite frequently if I tried to run two WoW clients at the same time, even on the lowest settings. If WoW crashed a few times and then I tried playing starcraft, I couldn't without rebooting my computer, because starcraft would think I don't have the resources required.

When playing batman I also experienced very choppy game play whenever joker or someone else said something. This made combat very difficult.

I recently discovered ATI has a memory leak, and this can cause batman to have very choppy game play. I also discovered a solution to the problem and the solution should only be put into place by someone who knows what they are doing, because of how easy it is to break something by accident by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. Anyways, here it is: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=93502

1) Go to:

Start\
Run\
"regedit"
Press Enter.

2) Go to:

File\
Export\
Create a file name to save your registry ie: C:\documents\"032108reg"

3) Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
SYSTEM\
CURRENTCONTROLSET\
CONTROL\
SESSON MANAGER\
MEMORY MANAGEMENT\

In the "MEMEORY MANAGEMENT" foler look for "PAGEDPOOLSIZE".

Right click "PAGEPOOLSIZE", and click MODIFY.

In the VALUEDATA box type ffffffff

(The system calculates the maximum paged pool allowed for the system in this configuration. For 32-bit systems, this is typically less than 500 MB. You must restart the computer before a change to this value takes effect).

NOTE: Do not put more than 8, or less than 8 as a value!!! There must be eight f's in that valuedata line.

4) NEXT Right Click in the DATA Window and click on "REG_WORD" to create a new REG_WORD value.

5) Name the new REG_WORD value to "PoolusageMaximum" (if you clicked enter before naming it, right click the value, and click rename).

6) After naming it, or renaming it "PoolusageMaximum", right click it, and click "MODIFY".

7) In the VALUEDATA box type "00000028" (that is 6 zero's and a 28, type no more or no less).

Now EXIT the REGISTRY, you are now done.

Make sure you have a clean install of the most current ATI Catalyst Drivers, or CCC for your ATI Video card, and re-boot.

Oh, by the way, did you try cleaning your computer? It might be dusty or have crap in it if you smoke near your computer.