PDA

View Full Version : ATI Radeon 4800 series issue.

witchbutter
30th Oct 2009, 18:57
I am posting this as a potential solution for new PC users. I have several PCs in my house all with ATI cards and I'm discovering there are major issues with Mini Ninjas and different versions of the Catalyst driver set (not really new but I will be specific):

On a machine with a Core 2 Quad, one Radeon 4850, XP 32 bit and X38 Chipset with 9.10 Catalyst driver set, Mini Ninjas will crash with a "Fault Bucket" error before fully loading.
On the same machine with Catalyst 9.8 the game will crash after trying to play the intro movie. The Event Management system will also report this as a fault bucket.
On the same machine with Catalyst 8.12 the game runs smooth with very rare audio errors (totally playable).

Note that when you get a fault bucket crash when you test your Catalyst driver set it corrupts the game files and after rolling back your Catalyst driver you must also uninstall and reinstall Mini Ninjas. You can uninstall only the game and not the save game progress and the save games get restored.

I will try to test a few Catalyst versions with my main machine running Windows 7 and post them here when I get time. It is obvious this game is in dire need of a patch, but this troubleshooting process can work around that.

dark_angel_7
31st Oct 2009, 11:42
witchbutter, thank you for your information. :) If you do find a solution let us know and I will add it to the main PC Tech. Support Thread which can be found here:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=97318

witchbutter
3rd Nov 2009, 06:57
I decided to try a few driver sets for my main computer.

Stats:
2 4870x2s in CrossfireX, Core i7 920, 12GB DDR3 1600, i7 920, eVGA 3SLI Classified e760, Win 7 x64 Ultimate.
I also have a cordless XBox 360 controller for Windows which eliminates, or so it would seem, the usb bug that everyone else is having.
For purpose of testing I set all settings to stock, as this machine is typically overclocked.

I list the Catalyst driver set, the compatibility mode I ran the exe file in, and the results:

Catalyst 9.10
I did not bother with these because of the horrible strobe effect for objects at a distance in Crysis Wars 1.5 the first time I loaded it. I should point out that officially this Catalyst release is the only "stable" set for ATI in Windows 7. However it is horrible and seizure inducing.

Catalyst 9.9
1) Win 7 mode - Painfully bad framerate ~20fps. Have to hold the A button down a few seconds to get it to respond. Dandelions disappear from grass.
2) Vista mode - Painfully bad framerate ~10fps. Have to hold the A button down a few seconds to get it to respond. Dandelions disappear from grass.
3) Win XP mode - Painfully bad framerate ~20fps. Have to hold the A button down a few seconds to get it to respond. Save games from 7/Vista don't work.

Catalyst 9.8
1) Win 7 Mode - Painfully bad framerate 10-15 fps.
2) Vista Mode - Painfully bad framerate 10-15 fps.
3) XP SP3 mode - Painfully bad framerate ~20fps. Save games from 7/Vista don't work.

Catalyst 9.7
Installing caused BSOD, atimkdiag.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA. Did not bother to troubleshoot this as these are technically beta Win 7 RC drivers.

Catalyst 9.6
1) Win 7 mode - Bad framerate 20-25 fps. Have to hold the A button down a few seconds to get it to respond.
2) Vista mode - Bad framerate 20-25 fps. Have to hold the A button down a few seconds to get it to respond.
3) XP SP3 mode - Almost playable framerate. Game chunks up in combat. Save games from 7/Vista don't work.
4) XP SP3 mode, with CrossfireX disabled (Meaning Crossfire is active on only one 4870x2) -GAME PLAYS PERFECTLY. Note that with this driver set it is imperative that you restart every time you enable or disable CrossfireX.:D

Please also note that save games when the program is played in XP mode are saved in a different location than save games played in Vista/7 mode and are therefore not interchangeable. This makes sense as in XP user specific application files are stored in docs and settings > current user > application settings versus in Vista and 7 Users > current user > AppData

Catalyst drivers are released monthly, so expect 9.11 in the middle of November.