View Full Version : Tomb Raider 9 Combat

nikkinickels
28th Oct 2009, 21:19
What if the combat was like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj0PrxZ-ABo&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

LOL i approve

Flintmelody
28th Oct 2009, 21:47
I like some of the moves in that alot. Maybe a bit too much melee which dosn't feel very TR. Some melee moves would be nice to see but still have mainly shooting.

I do still like the Core style manoverablilty of Lara. Freedom of movement and high damage enemy attacks is good. Anniversary was closest to the mark for me in recent combat. In TRL Lara wasn't very agile. In TRU ended up on the floor all the time with the tigers, the combat was repetitive and the hammer far too strong.

TRA got it right but a few more TR1-3 style suprise attacks and more big battles like the Lost Valley raptures would be great to see. Then would be incredible.

nikkinickels
28th Oct 2009, 22:17
yeah if they added some headshots on it, it would have been better, i just loove the move she does in the beginning :D but imagine any part where her guns go missing, like when they get taken away in TRA :]

pinpal
28th Oct 2009, 23:18
Ok what they need is cover system and manuel aim. Keep acrobatic combat to. More melee. and a whole lot of goodness.

BlackThor
28th Oct 2009, 23:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj0PrxZ-ABo&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

LOL i approve

i love those combos but it would like to see them look a bit less powerful and more believable

Flintmelody
28th Oct 2009, 23:37
Ok what they need is cover system and manuel aim. Keep acrobatic combat to. More melee. and a whole lot of goodness.

Don't really like that idea particually the manual aim.

pinpal
29th Oct 2009, 02:13

So you still want lockon aim? I'm not talking about tomb raider the last revelation's manual aim, I mean the aiming method that uncharted uses.:)

JRod108
29th Oct 2009, 02:29
I would personally love manual aim. I would think that adding the potential for human error would make the game that much harder. I mean, how challenging and fun is a game in which the combat is done for you? Which is essentially what TR does IMO. I'm not asking for a 3PS, merely a moveable reticule.

I don't really like the combat in the video. It just seems too mortal combat-ish. I would rather have more gunplay and like I said, manual aim.

nikkinickels
29th Oct 2009, 03:05
i could live with manual aim.
i'd laugh if we got to see something like ( 0:30 seconds in the video) like that, just the knee up that stop there. she doesn't have to climb all over and stuff. i like the combat in legend, it'd be nice to have that on the next game

Max 28
29th Oct 2009, 05:01
Combat was one of the lowest points in Underworld for me. It was just kinda boring, like generic and a darg, you didn't enjoy it. Some of the wild enemies were fun but the mercs, they were terrible.

Just large ammounts of waves thrown at you to try an compensate them being so dumb. It wasn't exciting like it should be, we need flighting that takes a bit of strategy. Like us being a bit more stealthy around the shipping containers to take them out one by one, it's what you'd do. Instead of by yourself just running with guns blazing into the firing range of all of them.

But the mercs should then also be clever an stealthy. As Lara tries to creep up on a merc we have to make sure they're not creeping up on her. I guess it's like also using a cover system, like we see in the movies.

And then with the wild enemies they should have like special ways of taking them down effectively. Maybe they only fight in groups, or we stumble upon a breeding ground, they only attack in dark places that kinda thing. We've found out a weakness, but as the game progresses we notice they they've evolved to overcome this and thus the enemies will be harder later on in the game.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
29th Oct 2009, 09:52
Combat was one of the lowest points in Underworld for me. It was just kinda boring, like generic and a darg, you didn't enjoy it. Some of the wild enemies were fun but the mercs, they were terrible.

Just large ammounts of waves thrown at you to try an compensate them being so dumb. It wasn't exciting like it should be, we need flighting that takes a bit of strategy. Like us being a bit more stealthy around the shipping containers to take them out one by one, it's what you'd do. Instead of by yourself just running with guns blazing into the firing range of all of them.

But the mercs should then also be clever an stealthy. As Lara tries to creep up on a merc we have to make sure they're not creeping up on her. I guess it's like also using a cover system, like we see in the movies.

And then with the wild enemies they should have like special ways of taking them down effectively. Maybe they only fight in groups, or we stumble upon a breeding ground, they only attack in dark places that kinda thing. We've found out a weakness, but as the game progresses we notice they they've evolved to overcome this and thus the enemies will be harder later on in the game.

I agree. The TRU enemies attacking in groups were in way obvious positions and often being quite useless wasn't much fun. There was no surprise in when the enemies attacked you like there was in Core games. Many mercinaries just stood out in the open and missed you all the time. They need either more aggression like in Core games or more intelligence. TRU though is more fun if you do the boats with pistols only though so that's something to try if you havn't already.

Think the legend boss battles and non-boss TRA combat were better though and hope we see more of that.

Tihocan
29th Oct 2009, 10:05

No, not really. Loved the handstand in the beginning, though.

The part where she puts the knee into that cowboy was cool, but the flip over kick was a bit much. Everything else was like a Tekken/StreetFighter game.

Now, if she had flipped over and put a round in the top of his head (like the TRA raptors video)...

IvanaKC
29th Oct 2009, 16:49
That looks great, just part when she fights vs that monster looks like she is a superhero.
Otherwise, it's really good, awesome.
Is this made with XNA Lara?

nikkinickels
30th Oct 2009, 00:36
nah it's made with anime studio 6... i think i saw it somewhere in the comments.

Ants_27_
30th Oct 2009, 07:57

Without it the games are less challenging and lock on requires no 'skill' what so ever. I've said this before but CD should give you a chose, though we all know CD won't do that:(

As for a cover system then if Lara can 'do anything' why can't she hide behind a wall or debris? We also need smarter A.I. cause the A.I. in underworld was pathetic.

josh1122
30th Oct 2009, 12:22
Without it the games are less challenging and lock on requires no 'skill' what so ever. I've said this before but CD should give you a chose, though we all know CD won't do that:(

As for a cover system then if Lara can 'do anything' why can't she hide behind a wall or debris? We also need smarter A.I. cause the A.I. in underworld was pathetic.

A.I. is pathetic in 99% of all games made today

tombraidergal
30th Oct 2009, 14:11
I've sen the before. Isn't there already a thread on this?

nikkinickels
30th Oct 2009, 18:47
no idea, i didn't see that anywhere, i only know that there's the amazing trailer one but it's of Tempus Fugit

Ants_27_
30th Oct 2009, 20:12
A.I. is pathetic in 99% of all games made today

In my eyes, if a enemy can take cover when being shot at or try to flank you as the player then that is enough for me, but Underworld's A.I. didn't do any of those did it.:scratch:

That looks great, just part when she fights vs that monster looks like she is a superhero.
Otherwise, it's really good, awesome.
Is this made with XNA Lara?

Don't forget that the guy who created this worked on the animations for Lara's shadow.:cool:

josh1122
30th Oct 2009, 22:31
In my eyes, if a enemy can take cover when being shot at or try to flank you as the player then that is enough for me, but Underworld's A.I. didn't do any of those did it.:scratch:

:

Yeah I see where your coming from :nut:

Underworld A.I. reminded me of Uncharted 2 A.I.

On Uncharted 2 they would just stand out in the open, just stand there and shoot,not take over, so I would just run up to them all and just mash square and melee them lol

A.I. does need to get better, not just in TR but in games in general

Tihocan
31st Oct 2009, 04:20
AI is often the hardest part of a game to get 'right'. Considering all the variables - environment, patrolling, response to player behaviour - I can see why so many developers fail to bring an engaging enemy to the world.
That being said, just because it's difficult does not mean poor AI should be accepted, or expected.

Ants_27_
31st Oct 2009, 08:53
Yeah I see where your coming from :nut:

Underworld A.I. reminded me of Uncharted 2 A.I.

On Uncharted 2 they would just stand out in the open, just stand there and shoot,not take over, so I would just run up to them all and just mash square and melee them lol

A.I. does need to get better, not just in TR but in games in general

I agree that A.I. in general does need some upgrading but as for Uncharted 2 they never did that for me, in fact I rarely got close enough to hit them:lol:

Then again I rarely tend to play games now (non keep my interest anymore) so perhaps I am just crap but they always took cover when I played through it. I suppose that may play some part if I think the A.I. is good or not?

Like I bought GTA ChinaTown wars for the PSP yesturday and I was told that the A.I. was crap but so far I don't see any problem... I guess it might be down to how well the player plays?:nut:

JRod108
31st Oct 2009, 18:57
Perhaps CD needs to take some notes from Bungie... The best thing the Halo games had was their A.I. I know many people don't consider Halo being a great game, but I think credit should be given where credit is due. In this case, credit should be given for Halo having some pretty great A.I. and I think CD would benefit by looking at what Bungie did.

MattFini
2nd Nov 2009, 17:41
That combat is very cool ... I really hope CD has taken note.

Combat is the one thing TR needs to fix and it'll be back on top.

josh1122
2nd Nov 2009, 19:10
Perhaps CD needs to take some notes from Bungie... The best thing the Halo games had was their A.I. I know many people don't consider Halo being a great game, but I think credit should be given where credit is due. In this case, credit should be given for Halo having some pretty great A.I. and I think CD would benefit by looking at what Bungie did.

I gotta disagree, while I'm not a Halo fan(I have played them though). I never saw anything in Halo that stood out from any other FPS,even A.I. wise

CD shouldn't take notes from anyone honestly lol. They should try to come up with something on their own,if possible

AdobeArtist
2nd Nov 2009, 22:06
I would love to see Equilibrium's Gun Kata (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTCE6fiuItY) combat in a TR game :D :D