PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP to Windows 7 Game Save Transfer

yobro03
27th Oct 2009, 00:00
Does anyone know how to move my game saves from XP to Windows 7. Just upgraded my OS and have all my XP stuff backed. Any help would be great.

deders
27th Oct 2009, 00:10
Does anyone know how to move my game saves from XP to Windows 7. Just upgraded my OS and have all my XP stuff backed. Any help would be great.

check out the instructions near the end of this thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=97644

yobro03
27th Oct 2009, 00:12
Cheers mate i had seen this thread but this is a way of transferring saves from Vista to Windows 7. I cant locate the GFWLive or the XLive folders he mentions in XP

deders
27th Oct 2009, 00:17
try looking in Documents and Settings\(your login)\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft

yobro03
27th Oct 2009, 00:37
I cant find them looks like i ma have to start again

deders
27th Oct 2009, 00:39
I cant find them looks like i ma have to start again

should be on your xp drive. you will probably have to show hidden folders in order to see it. (in folder options)

yobro03
27th Oct 2009, 00:49
I found the files im just gonna copy them over now see how i get on

deders
27th Oct 2009, 00:49
Let us know, would be good to confirm if it works.

yobro03
27th Oct 2009, 00:53
Im just downloading the insane night map pack so the game is identical to how i had it previously, i'll report back when its done

yobro03
27th Oct 2009, 01:14
Unfortunately it didnt work, but i should point out that i didnt have the Crime Alley map pack reinstalled as i couldnt re-use my code from when i had it last time. Pity would have liked to see if this worked.

InnervateD
27th Oct 2009, 22:19
Copying where the XP folders are to where they should be on a Win7 installation might work, I haven't tried it because I don't run XP.

If you copy the XP folders exactly to where it is on the XP to to exactly where it was on the XP on the Windows 7 drive will not work. ie. copying the same files to the same location on the different OS won't work.

It might working by doing this:
If the following folders on the XP drive: GFWLive and XLIVE folders are found in:
C:\Documents and Settings\YourProfile\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft

Then you'll need to copy those folders from there on the XP drive to here on your Windows 7 drive:
C:\Users\YourProfile\AppData\Local\Microsoft
That's because those folders are now found here in the Windows 7 installation of BAA.

You'll need to do the same for the Edios folder, if it's located in the My Documents folder.

My method works on the Vista 64 to Windows 7 because they share the same paths, I've tested it and it worked for me. Whether or not the XP installation hard codes the files with some sort of path as to where certain files are located I wouldn't know, but if they do, then there's no way of converting your XP saved files to Windows 7. But try it, it might work if you move it to how it should be installed on the Windows 7 paths.

Gefilte
27th Oct 2009, 22:23
I found out by strating a new game, some sort of "hexadimal" folder appears, i moved my save game renaming it to "save1.sgd" and it works fine.

InnervateD
27th Oct 2009, 23:02
I found out by strating a new game, some sort of "hexadimal" folder appears, i moved my save game renaming it to "save1.sgd" and it works fine.

I did that before with my 3 saved games, the first 2 saved game files are game files that I've completed the game and done some challenges, but game 3 was a 1% saved game file. Only the 1% saved game file worked, but not the completed saved game files.

Saved game files 1 and 2 didn't load, it came up as corrupted saved files. I tried copying just the Hex Folder and it wouldn't work, gave me the same error from the Vista 64 to Windows 7. I had to copy the other 2 folders the GFWL and XLIVE folders and the Edios folder from Vista 64 to Windows 7.

I had 2 different drives, my old Drive which was my Vista 64 drive, and my new drive which had Windows 7 installed from a clean install. I just copied the files/folders to where they were found in Win7 and it worked with my instructions on the other thread.

yobro03
29th Oct 2009, 00:36
yer i tried to copy the GWLive and XLive folders over and my Eidos folder to the new directories on Windows 7, but they just dont work on the new OS, they dont even appear when i load the game, but i still think its becase idont have the crime alley maps installed and i cant get them again coz my code has been used on my old XP system

yobro03
29th Oct 2009, 00:41
i tried it again still says NEW GAME under the four profiles arrggghhh what a nightmare. oh well will have to play through this awesome game again lol

peebee
2nd Nov 2009, 19:57
It might working by doing this:
If the following folders on the XP drive: GFWLive and XLIVE folders are found in:
C:\Documents and Settings\YourProfile\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft

Then you'll need to copy those folders from there on the XP drive to here on your Windows 7 drive:
C:\Users\YourProfile\AppData\Local\Microsoft
That's because those folders are now found here in the Windows 7 installation of BAA.

You'll need to do the same for the Edios folder, if it's located in the My Documents folder.

Thanks Mate!!! You made my day! I have barely no time for playing games and I was at 42%. I thought I must start from 0 again.:mad2:

Just tried the save files from the eidos folder. And it did not work.:eek:

But after your procedure I have back the 42% at Killer Croc. :thumb::flowers:

InnervateD
2nd Nov 2009, 23:01
Thanks Mate!!! You made my day! I have barely no time for playing games and I was at 42%. I thought I must start from 0 again.:mad2:

Just tried the save files from the eidos folder. And it did not work.:eek:

But after your procedure I have back the 42% at Killer Croc. :thumb::flowers:

Glad to hear it works, which means they don't hard code the saved files to location paths on the drive, the game just pulls the files from it's default location of how the game is installed, which means it just pulls files from the GFWL, XLIVE and Edios folders where their installed based on the OS.

speed86
11th Mar 2010, 11:45
thanks InnervateD... i wasn't sure it would work, going from 32-bit xp to 64-bit win7... but worked like a charm cheers

Laughin9M4N
9th Aug 2010, 01:30
Just updated to Win 7 x64 from XP x32 and I tried the steps mentioned above but I am still getting a corrupt save. Anyone know if it works between 32 and 64 bits? Also a weird problem I have is that the voice overs will go in and out and will not work at all in the cinematic scenes. DAMM GFWL!!!!