PDA

View Full Version : What will happen to NIGHTWING?

xxhanzyxx
25th Oct 2009, 16:18
Hey all...

Ok so I'm really worried about one of my favorite comic book characters of all time, Richard Grayson. Sure, I'm loving him as the current Dark Knight Detective and, even Damien is growing on me (slowly), but I'm worried about what's nex?

Millions of people in the world know that Batman is Bruce Wayne. They don't understand he was killed in a comic book story, they don't understand comic book continuity, they just know Batman is Bruce Wayne. So, when DC does the inevitable and Bruce Wayne makes his miraculous resurrection as the Batman, what's going to happen to Richard Grayson?

I know Grayson wore the mantle of the bat shortly after Ban broke Bruce's back in Knightfall, but that was just a short term thing (even though he did a super job lol).

I'm worried because I think Grayson has had a target on his back for several years now at DC Comics. Although Dan DiDio recently wrote in his August DC Nation column, which ran in the back of many DC comic books that month, that he "can't think of a more worthy successor" to be Batman; I find it tough to believe. Because he originally wanted to have Richard be a victim of the Crisis!!!

After all I cant think of anyother DC character so well connected to each and every character in DC's universe, I can understand as to why they might want to kill him as it would be a huge impact on everyone, especailly now that he has even been Batman.... but please....

If you had a strong desire to see a comic character bite the dust, even if the fans rallied and thought this character deserved to live, would that notion still leave you?

I'm sure every Bruce Wayne fan never wanted to see him "die," but it sold a lot of comic books, got a lot of mainstream press attention, and has led to all these new titles, so the "death" happened. And thats the 'goddam batman' (frank miller)

But we know it won't be forever.

Comic books are notorious, like soap operas, for having characters make miraculous resurrections or returns from death-defying situations. There are several more Batman movies in the works. There is a cartoon series. There are books and specials and all kinds of things. And the Batman in ALL of those is Bruce Wayne, so we know he's going to return.

I'm just worried now that letting all of us see how fantastic Richars Grayson fits into the cape and cowl, how well he's working it out as the new Dark Knight, is just wetting our appetites for disappointment (and major upset). I have a feeling that target that has been on the boy wonder's back for longer than I can remember, is still there.

Even though DiDio finished his column with "**** Grayson, Batman. Happy to have him around," I still am apprehensive.

I love what's happened so far in the new Batman's universe. I think it's the start of something really special. Yet the jaded comic book fan in me, though, is wondering if all these new stories, all this excitement and wonder, is just setting things up for the supreme sacrifice of Richard Grayson (and possibly Damien Wayne) that leads to Bruce Wayne's return as Batman.

I hope it isn't so ….

And even if he does survive the harsness of the writers, will he be able to return to Nightwing, after all Chris Kent has adopted the name for now?

Tell me its going to be alright :(

Sorry if it was a long and boring opening to a thread but those who have read my post before know I feel very strongly about this character :nut:

xxhanzyxx out....

xxhanzyxx
25th Oct 2009, 16:25
Ok I did the first vote :)

Drazar
25th Oct 2009, 17:35
I'm worried because I think Grayson has had a target on his back for several years now at DC Comics. Although Dan DiDio recently wrote in his August DC Nation column, which ran in the back of many DC comic books that month, that he "can't think of a more worthy successor" to be Batman; I find it tough to believe. Because he originally wanted to have Richard be a victim of the Crisis!!!

I think people are way too worried what Didio said years ago. The reason he had this quick thought of "hey lets kill off Nightwing" was because his comic book serie was going stale for the moment. No interesting stories, just girlfriends swapping and whatnot whatnot. So yeah he had this quick thought of "hey lets kill him off!" but even writers opposed of his quick thought and its one of those comments that seem to haunt Didio forever because he slip it to the public.

I've had some discussions from 2 Batmen in Gotham to Batman Beyond esque options. So yeah when Bruce returns DC might do a one-shot comic labeled "Who will wield the Mantle" or something like that where we will see who becomes the Batman. Maybe Richard will help out Bruce as 2 Batmen patrolling the city but the problem here is that writers would absolutely make Richard seem like the weaker Batman, so whats the point? Or Maybe Bruce will train his body to perfection as i doubt he can keep a good shape in the distant past where he's stuck...

So yeah i guess Richard will just return as Nightwing, or i'll burn my comics and rip my hair off if they kill off Richard Grayson. *shakes his fist*

@Hanzy: You seem to refer Bruce is dead, so just incase i'll post this little info tibbit: Yes Bruce left a corpse behind in Final Crisis #5 but there is a huge debate whenever that is his corpse or not. Final Crisis #6 ends with the readers seeing Bruce being stuck in caveman times. So yeah while the DC characters believe Bruce is completely dead (besides Tim Drake) the readers already know he's not dead thus his return is already established far better than Captain America's if you ask me. :) Hope this helps! :thumb:

batfan08
25th Oct 2009, 17:37
I'm thinking:
a)He and Damian could be Blûdhaven's Batman and Robin
B)Tim retires,Grayson becomes Red Robin
C)Tim dies,Grayson becomes Red Robin
D)Grayson dies
E)Grayson goes back to NightWing
F)Some severely impaired editor decides to kill Bruce for good.
F2)Dead Bruce=Bad,Grayson Batman=Good

batfan08
25th Oct 2009, 17:40
Ooh,ohh,I've got it!Are you ready?Here it is:

scroll

Battle for the cowl 2!

Sir Legendhead
25th Oct 2009, 19:28
It would suck if he died and going back to being Nightwing would be a pretty big step down from being Batman. The best option I can think of is for him to marry Barbara Gordon and retire from superhero-dom.

Drazar
25th Oct 2009, 20:12
Battle for the cowl 2!

Actually i was making fun of the corny title "Who will wield the shield" coming in December from Marvel. =p It's about Steve Rogers comeback and will he or Bucky stay as Captain America or will they both.

Also do you like the Red Robin costume? I dunno man, but for me the lack of batears really show what a gimp suit it is haha. =p I kinda like how Tim is wielding the Red Robin mantle because he feels ashamed and carries it as a "sign of failure" sort of thing. Trying to get redemption for "letting Bruce die" stuff. >_>

It would suck if he died and going back to being Nightwing would be a pretty big step down from being Batman. The best option I can think of is for him to marry Barbara Gordon and retire from superhero-dom.

I don't know is it such a drastic thing for him to return as Nightwing? He's not that used to being Batman and he pretty much is acting as Batman instead of being Batman, which just further shows that Bruce Wayne is the act and there can only be 1 real Batman. I mean sure Morrison has written plenty of future stories where Batman has become a sense of justice and a "rank" that people take, but still he has made Bruce Wayne into what fans refer to as "Batgod".

I also bleh@Richard + Barbara relationship. :p Thats ancient history! I guess i'm just too biased on Richard + Starfire romance.:rasp:

xxhanzyxx
25th Oct 2009, 20:56
So yeah i guess Richard will just return as Nightwing, or i'll burn my comics and rip my hair off if they kill off Richard Grayson. *shakes his fist*

Lol me too (actually maybe not the hair.... I am a hairdresser :o)

@Hanzy: You seem to refer Bruce is dead, so just incase i'll post this little info tibbit: Yes Bruce left a corpse behind in Final Crisis #5 but there is a huge debate whenever that is his corpse or not. Final Crisis #6 ends with the readers seeing Bruce being stuck in caveman times. So yeah while the DC characters believe Bruce is completely dead (besides Tim Drake) the readers already know he's not dead thus his return is already established far better than Captain America's if you ask me. :) Hope this helps! :thumb:

Aww I didnt read the final crisis (ooops) Always think these final crisis/ justice league storylines just get too ott and end up thinking what the....
Probably just me :)

xxhanzyxx
25th Oct 2009, 20:59
I dont think it would bother Grayson much if he did go back to nightwing, although he has changed his identity so many times before maybe they will make up a new one for him (hmmm Batboy?) only joking!!!

batfan08
25th Oct 2009, 21:05
I vote that both lay off and let Damian be Batman.:p

xxhanzyxx
25th Oct 2009, 21:06
@Batfan01:- Never considered Tim getting killed off! would make for an interesting story maybe?

He has been so desperate to be with his parents and his lost friends plus he hasnt really got much going for him as Red Robin at the moment has he, bless him.... (cant see Red Robin becoming a permanent fixture in comic land... and I love the side kicks)

Well I guess unless Joker makes an apperance with a crow bar anytime soon all the Robin's are safe... for now.

xxhanzyxx
25th Oct 2009, 21:09

NO WAY!!!! I would be on the first plane to DC's Watch Tower (lol) and give them a piece of my mind!

Ok maybe I wouldnt, but I would be seriously pi$... oops, I mean seriously not happy:)

xxhanzyxx
25th Oct 2009, 21:12
@Batfan01 Clearly I meant Batfan08

Drazar
25th Oct 2009, 21:22

God i love Batman #666 so much. So yeah Damian did dedicate 3 years for the sole purpose of: Prep time. >: ) (http://i35.tinypic.com/24pcrnq.jpg)

Clearly I meant Batfan08

Well there is an edit feature for a reason. ;)

xxhanzyxx
25th Oct 2009, 21:51
Well there is an edit feature for a reason. ;)

So there is Drazar, you are such a clever one :) But clearly I just like wasting my time and enjoy the quote feature much more instead lol ;)

batfan08
25th Oct 2009, 22:20
Maybe,Jason kills Bruce,Tim kills Jason,Tim kills Richard,and Damian kills Tim.It all works out.Also,I call insta-PWNGE as I single handedly took down the entire Batman-family in one sentence.

xxhanzyxx
25th Oct 2009, 22:28
And then what happens lol

KillerCroc
25th Oct 2009, 22:47
I'm hoping that he dies actually. >_> I think he's far too old to even be Nightwing anymore. Just something I'd like to see happen, though it won't, it's still something that I'd like to see before I die.

batfan08
25th Oct 2009, 23:50
Then Damian becomes Batman

KillerCroc
26th Oct 2009, 00:47
Then Damian becomes Batman Why not make Frank Castle Spider-Man? :rolleyes:

batfan08
26th Oct 2009, 03:02
You can,if you find another Radioactive Spider.

Sir Legendhead
26th Oct 2009, 03:16
Why not make Frank Castle Spider-Man? :rolleyes:This is off-topic, but they kinda did once -

http://powet.tv/powetblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/3864_4_044.jpg

Also...

I'm hoping that he dies actually. >_> I think he's far too old to even be Nightwing anymore. Just something I'd like to see happen, though it won't, it's still something that I'd like to see before I die. If he's too old to be Nightwing, where does that leave Bruce?

Drazar
26th Oct 2009, 05:48
I'm hoping that he dies actually. >_> I think he's far too old to even be Nightwing anymore. Just something I'd like to see happen, though it won't, it's still something that I'd like to see before I die.

How is Nightwing determined by age? It's a alternative identity created by Superman that effected Richard Grayson when he made his new superhero identity. =p Bruce Wayne is like 35 years old in the comic book world. You wanna tell him he needs to become Bat-mid-aged-Man now? :p

xxhanzyxx
26th Oct 2009, 11:03

well why dont we kill them all off then as they are all within the same age range, give or take a few years and then we can make up out own DC universe....

I dont think so......

batfan08
26th Oct 2009, 14:40
@Drazar

I just read my copy of Adventure Comics last night and Conner Kent and Tim have the following conversation:

Conner:"Can you take that cowl off while we're down here?"

Tim:"Take my cowl off?Why?

Conner:"Because you're not a cowl kinda guy.You never have been.Maybe I'll get used to it someday,but right now it's freaking me out.You're wearing Jason Todd's uniform.The "Bad" Robin.That uniform is all leather.It looks like it weighs a ton.What happened to plain old "classic" Robin?"

Tim:"Not until Bruce is back."

Conner:"Wait a second.This is all a punishment isn't it?"

Tim:"What are you talking about?"

Conner:"Taking on the identity of the Red Robin--The "failed" Robin.Isolating yourself.I know what guilt can do to you Tim.

So,either your observation was spot on,or you already read the issue.

Drazar
26th Oct 2009, 18:59
So,either your observation was spot on,or you already read the issue.

Isn't it obvious? I'm Batman.

Oh and yes i read the issue. Good Bromance on it!

batfan08
26th Oct 2009, 19:31
You are not Batman,I'm batman.Introducing Battle for the cowl 2:batfan vs. Drazar

xxhanzyxx
26th Oct 2009, 23:22
Huh adventure comic? whats that?

And why is Drazar Batman? When did he say about Tim punishing himself? (LOL look at me go with the questions)

batfan08
27th Oct 2009, 00:08
Adventure Comics are the awesomest comics ever!!!!IMO

KillerCroc
27th Oct 2009, 00:29
Geez, one second I'm offering my opinion the next I'm being overrun by Nightfans...

lukeob94
27th Oct 2009, 02:46
@Drazar

Conner:"Taking on the identity of the Red Robin--The "failed" Robin.Isolating yourself.I know what guilt can do to you Tim.

no it's because the red robin suit is way cooler........

batfan08
27th Oct 2009, 03:14
No,it isn't,as Drazar said,it looks like a gimp suit.Now that I think about it,maybe all that leather represents "pain" :p

Drazar
27th Oct 2009, 05:40
Geez, one second I'm offering my opinion the next I'm being overrun by Nightfans...

Thats what you get for having different opinions! Free will is a dillusion! Join the hivemind!

No,it isn't,as Drazar said,it looks like a gimp suit.Now that I think about it,maybe all that leather represents "pain" :p

Well each for their own, i guess? Personally i've never been a fan of Red Robin name (since theres a restaraunt with the same name) or design. =p Oh well atleast the comic story itself has been fun so far. :thumb:

xxhanzyxx
27th Oct 2009, 22:57

As Drazar said 'Join the hivemind' :lmao:

Unless you agree with me that Nightwing is the best then you are sorely mistaken.... Sorry but thats just the way it is x

xxhanzyxx
27th Oct 2009, 23:01
Adventure Comics are the awesomest comics ever!!!!IMO

Hmmm will have to look into those one day ;) But have just bought the complete run of nightwing comics on ebay!!! So im going to be reading those for quite some time lol (so excited)