PDA

View Full Version : Cillian Murphy Keeping Fingers Crossed For 'Dark Knight' Sequel

lt_skittles
23rd Oct 2009, 07:01
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/10/21/cillian-murphy-keeping-fingers-crossed-for-dark-knight-sequel/

Cillian Murphy returned for "The Dark Knight" after helping relaunch the Batman movie franchise as The Scarecrow in "Batman Begins." Murphy re-teams with director Christopher Nolan for his new film "Inception," so there is little doubt that Nolan would want him back if there's a Jonathan Crane role to be filled in "Batman 3"—and Murphy remains hopeful that a third installment is in the works.

"I hope they make a third one," he told MTV News. "I think 'The Dark Knight' was one of the greatest films."

Just because he's hopeful, however, doesn't mean that Nolan has shared his intentions on the "Inception" set.

"We don’t talk about those things," Murphy explained "It's out of my control."

Murphy spoke highly of Nolan's accomplishments with his Batman films thus far, though, and sounded optimistic that "The Dark Knight" may not turn out to be the series' peak.

"['The Dark Knight' is] one of the greatest blockbuster mainstream movies," the actor stated. "If anyone can match that or top that it’s Chris. Fingers crossed."

Drazar
23rd Oct 2009, 10:12
Can we make a thread for me also being hopeful for a 3rd movie? ^^;

iamtombombadil
23rd Oct 2009, 13:59
well, then we would have to make one about me being hopeful as well. Then, more would come and before you know it, Nolan would look on here and want to be added too.

Revenant36
23rd Oct 2009, 15:41
I already posted this elsewhere but here's why I think Batman 3 is almost definate...

Remember that after Batman Begins Nolan kept saying "Oh, I don't know if I'm doing a sequel," but he did know, he was contractually obliged. It's a marketing gimmick. After a hugely successful movie, what better way to keep people looking for news about a sequel than to say it might not happen? But there are a few reasons I'm utterly convinced that Nolan will return.

When, after taking on Batman Begins, he was asked why he chose to do this (remember it's not his usual kind of film) his response was that when he heard WB were rebooting the franchise he felt that the only way to do a new series properly was to go back to the beginning and start from there, so franchise has been on his mind since day one.
They've already thought about villains. Nolan's remarks about the Penguin not being realistic enough, Goyer talking about wanting to use villains that haven't been seen on screen yet.
There was a scene shot with Joker in Arkham, that was gonna be used at the end of TDK, but apparently Nolan decided to keep it for the intro to the 3rd film. Besides, look at the ending that we did get for TDK. Nolan has been very careful to keep Batfans happy. There's no way he'd leave it with Batman on the run. And really, does that ending seem like the work of someone who doesn't know exactly what he wants to do next?
The evolution of the Batcave. In Batman Begins we find the natural caverns underneath Wayne Manor. Then Wayne Manor is destroyed, giving Bruce an excuse to do some "renovation". In TDK the "Batcave" was under the cargo container as Wayne Manor is rebuilt. This introduced the bat-computer, and the concept of a hi-tech hidden base of operations. I think it's safe to assume that the proper Batcave will appear in Batman 3.
This one's more of a hunch than anything but to me TDK feels exactly like the middle of a trilogy. It gives off the same vibe as "The Empire Strikes Back". They both set up a spectacularly forboding sense of things to come.
If you do a search for Christopher Nolan on IMDB.com it has "untitled batman project: details only on IMDBpro". Now remember that IMDBpro is primarily a contact service for people in the industry. It's also a paid service. So it's not simply unfounded fanciful rumour that gets posted there. Now a little bit of searching also shows that BB and TDK producers Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Michael E Uslan are all listed as being involved in the "untitled Batman project". Now you may argue that these are simply assumptions that these people would logically be involved, but if you search for Nathan Crowley (production designer for BB and TDK), Wally Pfister (cinematographer for both Nolans Bat-flicks) or composers Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard these people do not have this listing, which would make sense as they wouldn't be involved this early in the project.

As for the Joker's role in a third movie, some rumours suggest that they'll use archive footage of Ledger, but I doubt it. Check this out. Not identical, but close enough. And he's working with Nolan on Inception. And we know that Nolan's not averse to recasting.

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure there will be a 3rd Nolan directed Batman movie...

EnragedSith
23rd Oct 2009, 16:04
Though I'd like to see another Batman movie..

Thinking about it, I'd say that "The Dark Knight" would be a fitting way to end the modern Batman era that started with Tim Burton's '89 film, which featured the Joker

Old_BenKenobi
23rd Oct 2009, 18:34
There will definitely be another one. The only question is whether Nolan will do it or not.

Personally, I see the Batman movies like the James Bond movies, a real long running series of stories.

Batman The Trailer Hunter
23rd Oct 2009, 18:44
I think ScareCrow Joker and The Riddle would make a devistating team

Prince Daka
24th Oct 2009, 00:18
I think ScareCrow Joker and The Riddle would make a devistating team

those 3 teamed up would make Batman wanna quit & move to a nicer city

Abeja
24th Oct 2009, 00:37
It is definite that there is gonna be a third one cause WB/DC wouldnt miss out on this cashcow, but like someone said it depends whether Nolan will do it. Im sure he will, but I hope he doesnt feel forced to make another one.

JackWinz
24th Oct 2009, 13:54
I still want a Dalip Bane...

JD_Method
24th Oct 2009, 14:18
What Abeja said.

There's gonna be another one - whether Nolan does it or not.

CaptainMcMulla
24th Oct 2009, 16:50
its more than likely that he will do a sequel.

lukeob94
26th Oct 2009, 01:31
i hope there is a batman 3.i ahve no idea what direction nolan would go in though.......

Kai Rei
26th Oct 2009, 10:51
Agreed with... all. I actually think Scarecrow has a good chance to be in the 3rd one, as despite getting beat by Batman in TDK, we never directly saw the cops come and take him away.

Scarecrow and Two-Face = WIN. I know the script says Two-Face died, but they could change that easily.

Batman The Trailer Hunter
26th Oct 2009, 16:59
Agreed with... all. I actually think Scarecrow has a good chance to be in the 3rd one, as despite getting beat by Batman in TDK, we never directly saw the cops come and take him away.

Scarecrow and Two-Face = WIN. I know the script says Two-Face died, but they could change that easily.

Joker, Two-face, Scarecrow & Riddler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Revenant36
26th Oct 2009, 17:33
Joker, Two-face, Scarecrow & Riddler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And to think one of the biggest criticisms of Batman and Robin was "too many villains"! Don't get me wrong, those four are my favourite Bat-villains (probably in that order as well) and I'd love to see them all in one movie if it could be done well, but I just feel it would be too convoluted...

Drazar
26th Oct 2009, 18:54
And to think one of the biggest criticisms of Batman and Robin was "too many villains"! Don't get me wrong, those four are my favourite Bat-villains (probably in that order as well) and I'd love to see them all in one movie if it could be done well, but I just feel it would be too convoluted...

Batman Begins: Mob, Ras' al ghul and his forces, Scarecrow.
The Dark Knight: Mob, Joker, Two-Face.

Really all you need is a story that works and its no problem. :p

Prince Daka
26th Oct 2009, 20:19
Batman Begins: Mob, Ras' al ghul and his forces, Scarecrow.
The Dark Knight: Mob, Joker, Two-Face.

Really all you need is a story that works and its no problem. :p

not to be picky but there are even more for batman begins. ya forgot to mention Zsasz, & Joe Chill. you also forgot to mention Scarecrow for TDK. & as you say the mob was in it & they utilized mobsters from batman comics (falcone, maroni), so i agree those count too.

i hate how people think batman forever & batman and robin were bad because they fit in too many villains. batman forever only had 2 (not including the cameos of maroni & jack napier), & i believe that is 1 less than Batman Returns who made up a villain in Max Schreck. i think the "too many villains" argument is only valid in the case of BANE in B&R. obviously bane didn't need to be in the movie as some plot device strongman who is uncharacteristic in personality.

i agree with you that its more about the storytelling aspect. you can have 15 popular villains and if its a well produced movie (script, and all) itll be a success. just look at the new batman/superman public enemies animated movie. there is a bunch of villains that appear but it only makes the movie more exciting. proper execution is all that is needed