PDA

View Full Version : Should Lara tackle Multiplayer?

Ants_27_
19th Oct 2009, 17:27
My reason for asking is that nowadays it is all people care about within a game; alas Call of Duty. Gamers overlook the phenomenal stories that games tell and disregard it as a bad game if the multi-player side of it is lacking or ceases to be seen.

On with the question. Would Lara be able to tackle the challenge of making successful competitive and co-op modes, or would she fail?

During the early information of Uncharted 2, Naughty Dog said that Uncharted would go online and allow gamers (fans) to battle each other in a range of the typical online modes. To me the idea was stupid (I prefer a good old story to online anyday) but Naughty Dog really have made it work, and work well.

I'm using Uncharted because I can't compare the likes of Tomb Raider with games like COD, warhawk or Halo.

If CD did consider it then I think the following would apply:

get rid of auto-aim, thus making the game(s) fair.
Make the multiplayer maps different to the main game

Finally, people say they want old TR characters to return then that is where the use of hero and villain skins comes in to play. People could play as Lara, Kurtis, Amanda, Natla... You get the general idea. Then fans of those characters don't have to be too disappointed that their favourite characters aren't in the game. Besides, if done well it would add some replay value to the game.

What do you lot think? Personally, I'm more of a single player person but playing Uncharted online is actually very, very fun.

Flintmelody
19th Oct 2009, 18:11
A story co-op with one player playing Lara and another a related character like Kurtis could be okay. Would rather have it as two controllers than online. A race to complete levels where you could shoot your rival and send them back to checkpoints may be an easier option to fit in to the game. Shootout arenas could be possible too.

I think multiplayer for TR might be too much work to produce something good so maybe not that important.

Ants_27_
19th Oct 2009, 18:30
A story co-op with one player playing Lara and another a related character like Kurtis could be okay. Would rather have it as two controllers than online. A race to complete levels where you could shoot your rival and send them back to checkpoints may be an easier option to fit in to the game. Shootout arenas could be possible too.

I think multiplayer for TR might be too much work to produce something good so maybe not that important.

I like the idea of arena's and what not:cool:

Anyway, I'll take a swing and say that creating a solid online is hard thing to do. They'd need to make sure people couldn't glitch: make them selves invisible or imposable to kill.

IvanaKC
19th Oct 2009, 19:49
yes and why not?

Tihocan
19th Oct 2009, 22:00
It'd be interesting to see how they would create a co-op mode, which requires simultaneous actions by two players. I recall that for fun I had started designing a Tomb Raider/Flashback crossover game that did just that, and I think it could work.

I'm not sure about the whole 'deathmatch' type thing. It seems like a tacked on 'for the hell of it' gameplay that would be very out of place in Tomb Raider.

Katie_Fleming
20th Oct 2009, 04:08
I've got to vote no on this one. Tomb Raider has never been about multi-player, it has always been about exploration...alone. Having a multi player aspect, to me, would ruin what the games are all about.

Bampire
20th Oct 2009, 07:03
I've got to vote no on this one. Tomb Raider has never been about multi-player, it has always been about exploration...alone. Having a multi player aspect, to me, would ruin what the games are all about.

Agreed.

jayjay119
20th Oct 2009, 14:48
As long as it was a separate option from the main game, like the time trials or capture the artifact type levels to play i don't see why it wouldn't work

IvanaKC
20th Oct 2009, 16:42

Well, you don't have to play multiplayer....:D

Katie_Fleming
20th Oct 2009, 16:49
Haha that's true, but with that being said, I think CD really needs to focus on the actual game play itself first. Master that, then move on. Otherwise they'll be trying to do too many things at once...

Ants_27_
20th Oct 2009, 17:25
Haha that's true, but with that being said, I think CD really needs to focus on the actual game play itself first. Master that, then move on. Otherwise they'll be trying to do too many things at once...

True, they still have to master the actual single player mode:lol: But it really wouldn't bother me if they added muti-player or not because (Like I said before) I prefer a solid single player as opposed to online. But if it has a fun online then my thoughts change and they change quickly. It does add some form of replay value to the game at least.

The only problem with the Uncharted 2 online is that a lot of people will buy into the crap that is modern warfare 2 (well it's obviously not crap to some). So it will probably get overlooked:(

Anywho, multiplayer doesn't always end up being good, look at bioshock 2's multiplayer. That is pretty terrible, well the last time I saw it anyway it could have changed now though.

LC is Me
20th Oct 2009, 19:11
It'd seem like the developer's were trying too hard if they tossed in multiplayer.

Besides, how would they do it effectively when the game is mainly a focus on single player? Unless they ripped of something like L4D, I don't think it'd work.
But that's just me.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
22nd Oct 2009, 10:46
Think working on the single player would be better for now.

MissJess
22nd Oct 2009, 23:35
No, let's keep it single player and spend time on some other aspects of the game that need work.

Ants_27_
23rd Oct 2009, 07:05
No, let's keep it single player and spend time on some other aspects of the game that need work.

Which is quite a lot of work to be completely fair.

To be honest I've only just taken notice of how little employee's Crystal have, well from what I was told. Do they really only have around 30? I find that hard to believe but making a game with 30 staff doesn't look like it will be easy, I mean didn't assassins creed have something like 150, Fallout 3 about 100? And those games weren't perfect?

Unless what I was told was a complete lie, which I think it is really, I mean 30 employee's is less than some PSP development teams isn't it?:scratch:

If it is the case the I think they shouldn't bother looking at multiplayer:lol:

LARALOVERnr1
23rd Oct 2009, 14:28
Nah, multiplayer just isnt a TombRaider-like thing...

Katie_Fleming
23rd Oct 2009, 17:58
To be honest I've only just taken notice of how little employee's Crystal have, well from what I was told.

True, but remember Core's days? They were a tiny studio and look what they produced ;) If anything, having a smaller team should be better.

Ants_27_
23rd Oct 2009, 18:17
True, but remember Core's days? They were a tiny studio and look what they produced ;) If anything, having a smaller team should be better.

True, a smaller team can make for better games, though sometimes they may take on too much work. Then again I think that's the publishers that rush them and not the size of the development team.

I guess a smaller team will allow for developers to communicate with artists, artists with the script writers or whatever better. That, I think is what some companies don't have.

Katie_Fleming
23rd Oct 2009, 18:35
Absolutely. I think better communication is key - and with a smaller team you're really able to delve into the story and pick apart things easier. Who knows, they may still outsource for bits too.

AdobeArtist
23rd Oct 2009, 20:46
My initial reaction was, no way. Multiplayer just doesn't work within the context of the games. When you look at other titles that incorporate players playing against other players, you see how the single player experience adapts itself to tournament gaming. Halo, Killzone 2, RainbowSix - all titles who's campaign game revolves around shoot out conflicts will naturally lend itself well to the combat in a team vs team matchup, which mirrors the stories war scenarios.

So of course with TR being focused on exploration adventuring, multiplayer hardly seems workable within the structure of the gameplay here. And then it hit me;

NOT team VS team multiplayer, but CO-OP multiplayer. Gears of War 2 and Halo ODST really struck gold with a marvelous idea. 4-5 players working together against an endless stream of AI bad guys, where it's surviving the overwhelming numbers that grows in each wave is the challenge.

This I can see working for future Tomb Raider games, where the 5 players have to defend different temples (each temple being the unique arena map) from an onslaught of mercenaries trying to breach it. The idea being that not only do the players have to survive to make to each next wave/round, but also protect key structures of the temples. All players dying or all key structures being destroyed results in the game over and then having to start over from a certain check point.

The bag guys would come in a variety of mercs, with different armaments (rifles, pistols, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, etc...) and maybe even a handful of mythical creatures in the higher waves to mix things up a bit. And since this is a Tomb Raider game we're talking about, incorporating mechanism and environmental traps to help protect the temple and as an added means of squashing enemies would really help set this apart from Horde Mode and ODST's Fire Fight.

The only detail I haven't quite worked out yet, is the players character selection. GeoW and ODST have main story characters to choose from. I suppose Lara and Doppelganger would make up two of the 5, but I just can't picture Amanda or Natla working together with Lara to fill out the character selection options.

But then again, since in GeoW there's nothing to stop the game from having 3 Marcus' as each player can choose which ever character model they want to play with, we could keep this to just multiple Lara's where the players can customize their own Lara avatar from her established selection of outfits, and even maybe having some color palettes to choose from, so the 5 Lara's would still be distinguished on the playing field from the choices of;

* Classic outfit
* Legend outfit
* Underworld outfit
* Wet suit
* Dry suit
* Sola Diving suit
* Catsuit
* That fashion contest winner
* Military outfit from past games
* Denim outfit
* Biker outfit
* Japan Dress
* Opera House dress
* Bikinis

(why not those last three, just for fun? :) )

4evertatombraiderfan
23rd Oct 2009, 22:47
yah! yah! that way, you could be lara, and your friend could be.... natla, or amanda, or doppleganger, and then you could fight eachother! oh the fun!!!

Tihocan
24th Oct 2009, 04:26
What about entire areas of the game that can only be accessed by two players? A 'side story' - or even a whole other story!

Or if Squeidos and Naughty Dog got together, imagine the game they could make! Lara and Nathan's rivalry explodes in a race for the artifact that will control the ancient armies of Xerxes...

Or something.

Ants_27_
24th Oct 2009, 09:05
The only detail I haven't quite worked out yet, is the players character selection. GeoW and ODST have main story characters to choose from. I suppose Lara and Doppelganger would make up two of the 5, but I just can't picture Amanda or Natla working together with Lara to fill out the character selection options.

Bold - Hmmm, I'm stuck at that as well. The character selection on uncharted 2 is split between heroes and villains.
The heroes are Drake, Sully, Chloe, Elena and the Tibetan Guy. The villains are the mercs and the other people you fight.

I guess Villains would be quite easy, you could play as Natla, Amanda, Larson, Pierre e.c.t. As for the hero's then they could be people that don't play a big part, like the guy that gives you the pass to the lift in legend (Japan).

They'd need a system behind it really I suppose (ranking), allow you to earn in game money to upgrade weapons, buy new costumes (or skins) and what not.

4evertatombraiderfan
24th Oct 2009, 13:20
oh, i just remembered another "hero", who was that guy in aod? im thinking of him, but the name escapes me, but what ever, back to multiplayer. wouldn't it be SWEET to play as amanda or natla and have all the sweet powers!!! natla, not so much, cuz all she does iz fly around, throw fire, and kakle like a witch, but amamda has numerious powers with that wrath stone.

Ants_27_
24th Oct 2009, 16:38
oh, i just remembered another "hero", who was that guy in aod? im thinking of him, but the name escapes me, but what ever, back to multiplayer. wouldn't it be SWEET to play as amanda or natla and have all the sweet powers!!! natla, not so much, cuz all she does iz fly around, throw fire, and kakle like a witch, but amamda has numerious powers with that wrath stone.

That Kurtis guy?

This might be slightly random but here goes;

Each character has a special ability, namely Amanda, each time a certain goal is achieved, they can use the wraith stoney thingy. But I guess that would make the game unfair.:lol:

kalle90
24th Oct 2009, 19:01
Well if CD can't manage to make over 10 hour game you want to play more than once or twice (looks very likely), multiplayer is probably the thing they have to do. "Bad" sales almost forces it.

Co-op like Splinter Cell, Army of Two...
Competitive kill others, collect artifacts, race through challenging and dangerous environments... mode. Imagine St. Francis Folly-style matches - outrun, outsmart, outgun your rivals.

I'd still rather have CD focus on making really long and replayable Oblivion-scale singleplayergame with Arkham Asylum-like plot and "I'm Lara Croft"-feel.

4evertatombraiderfan
24th Oct 2009, 20:09
yup, thats him, his named slipped me, but i remembered it after i posted. anyway, i was thinking along the lines of..... you can use the wrath stone the way lara uses the pistols, you know, pull it out anytime and use it, and then it would recharge, and you could use it again!!!! i love that wrath stone !!!

Ants_27_
24th Oct 2009, 20:18
yup, thats him, his named slipped me, but i remembered it after i posted. anyway, i was thinking along the lines of..... you can use the wrath stone the way lara uses the pistols, you know, pull it out anytime and use it, and then it would recharge, and you could use it again!!!! i love that wrath stone !!!

I guess it could also allow CD to tell us where the hell the damn thing came from.:lol: Unless they already did?

Still, a great idea!

4evertatombraiderfan
24th Oct 2009, 20:22
it came from amandas and laras 1st dig in paraesal. hahahahahah, go figure, i'd know.

Tihocan
24th Oct 2009, 21:23
Maybe they could do climbing race minigames. Blecch.

Studded*Belt
25th Oct 2009, 03:05
Yea, you know multiplayer could be fun. Finally, me and my best buddys raiding tombs together. *day dreams* Any way, doing the whole manual-targeting like in uncharted would be awesome. Think, we could get Kurtis, Zip, maybe Amanda in it. Aw, man, i think it would be a blast! ^^

Ants_27_
25th Oct 2009, 14:07
Yea, you know multiplayer could be fun. Finally, me and my best buddys raiding tombs together. *day dreams* Any way, doing the whole manual-targeting like in uncharted would be awesome. Think, we could get Kurtis, Zip, maybe Amanda in it. Aw, man, i think it would be a blast! ^^

The likelyhood of CD ever making TR online is probably pretty slim, but still, it's fun to come up with ways of how it would work.

One thing I don't thin they should so is add splitscreen that forces you to walk around with a A.I. partner if you don't have a real 'partner' during the course of the entire game. I'm not one to say "that's not TR" but I'll say it to an A.I. Partner. I like the concept of having say 4 real players, the rest A.I. bots to complete a goal.

One thing that I find col about Uncharted's online is the 'machinima' mode, I know other games have used it but this is actually pretty cool. Allows you to go to green screen mode too.

If you have no idea what machinima is then:

Machinima ( or ) is the use of real-time three-dimensional (3-D) graphics rendering engines to generate computer animation

You basically just create your own movies using the engine of said game. Well, people please correct me if I am wrong!:D

Jason Miller
25th Oct 2009, 14:37
What is wrong with you people?! It's not like its' going to affect story mode or anything. The game will still stay the same. Besides, Uncharted 2 (Which is a million times better than TRU) added it and it worked out wonderfully.

pinpal
25th Oct 2009, 15:44
I think that 2 or 3 player coop would be very impressive. Just think of it Lara teaming with Amanda and her doppleganger to find some ancient artifact in a tomb. Deathmatches and alot of killing just isn't what tomb raider is about. Oh yeah lock on aiming needs to go, Manual aiming is so much better. Tomb Raider can be a phenomenal game, it just needs as (Lara Croft once said) Patience and persistance.

Ants_27_
25th Oct 2009, 16:42
@ pinpal I agree with your post and:

I know TR isn't popular as much now because there are other frnachises but I think if CD really put everything they've got into the next game then TR might stand a achance at becoming popular once more. They could do with creating a less 'pedictable' story too.

They should also take thri time too, even develop it for around four years. I know fans will probably moan, "we want TR now!!!!" but patience is a vertue:p

I can't help but agree with Jason Miller either.

A lot of you will kill me (maybe) but tell me you can't see Lara, Amanda, Natla and whoever else representing real people for a change:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4oeFIwd5Yo&feature=PlayList&p=BE337D36F4B8DCE0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

Fair enough, the online side of things with uncharted 2 doesn't look as nice to the eye as the single player does.

digifan
28th Oct 2009, 13:58
Well no. For one thing the game is called Tomb Raider - not tomb raiders. :scratch: Second, Lara is a loner and not a team player. The writers did tried to make her part of a team via Legend but it didn't turn out so well, did it?

Ants_27_
29th Oct 2009, 09:00
Well no. For one thing the game is called Tomb Raider - not tomb raiders. :scratch: Second, Lara is a loner and not a team player. The writers did tried to make her part of a team via Legend but it didn't turn out so well, did it?

But it wouldn't effect the single player, just like Uncharted 2. It's got it's perfect single player and then some pretty cool online modes that you don't need to even touch.:cool:

BlackThor
31st Oct 2009, 16:59
i would love to see lara tackling tombs with a partner, but i wouldn't want it in every level though. it would be more like you get to a level and a message appears saying 2 players and you just go "yay excitement"

Tombgeek
7th Nov 2009, 17:04
I would actually like a Tomb Raider multiplayer componant. But in order for it to be a good multiplayer game, CD would have to bring in the following:

1. More weapons
2. A cover system
3. Regenerating health
4. Armor

If CD did bring in a multiplayer componant, this is what I would like to see:

1. Singleplayer Co-op: Yes, yes, you guys say Lara Croft is a loner, but having a buddy with you, either A.I. or human, would be awesome. It could bring in a new world of puzzle solving potential.

2. Deathmatch: Uncharted was awesome, and so was it's multiplayer. Some people will argue that Tomb Raider is not a multiplayer game. I don't care. I think it would be cool if each player created their own character/avatar instead of just using characters from the game like other games do. (just now needs a cover system)

3. Various game modes: This is potential to create awesome and original game modes. What about one where 5 players have to navigate through a series of traps and puzzles to get to a artifact, and the person who gets to it the fastest is the winner.

Now imagine if the game was played professionally. Would it not be awesome. I'm pretty tired of only seeing DotA, Call of Duty, and Counter-Stike being the games played professionally.

Note to Crystal Dynamics: If you do make a multiplayer component, please add a feature for A.I. bots.

Pulse
16th Nov 2009, 09:11
I'd like there to be Amanda or some new guy as a second player. It'd be great to run through tombs with another person and together figure out how to pass a puzzle or kick monster butt. just kinda thinkin out loud but there could also be an online feature too where it's like who can get to the artifact first and it places people (Lara, New Guy, Amanda, Doppelganger, Bad Guy, Other Bad Guy, Mercenary A, Mercenary B) at different corners of the map then they can race and fight each other until the time runs out :D and of course more online games like that but with different objectives and scenarios. Like motorcycle racing :) yes, i would definately like that

josh1122
16th Nov 2009, 21:07
I'm getting tired of the motion that EVERYTHING needs to have multiplayer...its becoming extremely dull and gives the developers excuses to half ass their single player to tact on multiplayer.

You know its getting bad when are now adding multiplayer to freakin Dead Space 2, I mean come on lol

Devs seem to think its a MUST, when its not

I hope TR never gets multiplayer unless in the form of co-op somehow

tombraidergal
16th Nov 2009, 21:20
i couldn't care less whether lara had multi player.

Trasavon
16th Nov 2009, 22:14
I think they should try... hard. Tomb Raider is definitely my favorite single player game, but stuff like Halo 3's multiplayer is what makes me always go back to H3 in the end. If CD manages to make a successful multiplayer mode for the next Tomb Raider game, then I would actually be able to say that it was my favorite game. They wouldn't have to do any work to the campaign, it's already phenomenal. Plus, it would more than likely make Tomb Raider one of the number one games again. But if CD tries to implant multiplayer but makes it really crappy, the Tomb Raider series will always be shunned by the gaming community, no matter how great its campaign is.