PDA

View Full Version : Games other than TR

Ants_27_
17th Oct 2009, 19:38
The title is random, so please ignore that I couldn't think of what else to put.

I know it's a TR forum but surely even the most die-hard TR fan doesn't play TR, shut off their console(s) and never touch it till the next TR do they/you?

So, my question is what games have you bought recently and what do you plan to buy in the run up to Christmas? What do you think about them? I know it has probably been asked before but...

Anywho, only two:

Infamous (Story was surprisingly good, very assassins creed like. Also the whole karma system worked really well.)
Uncharted 2 (seems to be one of the more longer games I own and it's extremely colourful. which makes a change from the usual grey's and browns games seem to use.)

I know it doesn't really fit in with "Tomb Raider - General discussion" but...

zipi.91
17th Oct 2009, 19:44
I haven't PS3:(:(

zipi.91
17th Oct 2009, 19:45
But I think, Uncharted 2 - very well game.!!! Isn't it?

brandibuck
25th Oct 2009, 16:38
Games i played and enjoyed

Uncharted 2- The second best game of all time for me

The sims 3- I like it

Wet- Tomb raider moves look a like...but still ok

Waiting for assassin's creed 2

Batman- Arkhum Asylum

other games

Ants_27_
25th Oct 2009, 16:48
Is Arkham Asylum really as good as I've heard, I've been considering it for a while now but can't decide:lol:

AdobeArtist
25th Oct 2009, 16:56
The other games I've played recently and still actively play:

Halo ODST
Halo 3
Batman Arkham Asylum (my personal pick for 2009 GOTY)
Gears of War 2
Shadow Complex

Upcoming games on my radar:

Forza 3
Dragon Age Origins
Splinter Cell Conviction
Assassin's Creed 2
Mass Effect 2
Alan Wake

jayjay119
25th Oct 2009, 17:15
I haven't bought a new game in so long, just haven't had the money or the time. The next game i'm going to buy in the run up to christmas, if at all will be either WET or Assassin's Creed 2, although probably the latter.

I would have been buying Splinter Cell conviction but unfortunately its (quote) 360 exclusive (unquote) well for the next six months at least anyway!

GamemasterJJ
25th Oct 2009, 17:38
My most recent games (which I love), are:

Batman: Arkham Asylum, best game other than TRs that I've got for my PS3,
Mini Ninjas, quite decent, lots of trophies (or for you 'XBoxers' achievements)
& I'm going to buy Tekken 6 when it comes out.

Everyone says that their are too many tekkens, which I find ironic, because the last tekken was released some time around 2003.

AdobeArtist
25th Oct 2009, 17:57
Everyone says that their are too many tekkens, which I find ironic, because the last tekken was released some time around 2003.

Even more ironic in light of how many iterations there have been of Final Fantasy, Madden, Tony Hawk, and Dynasty Warriors :lmao:

GamemasterJJ
25th Oct 2009, 20:05
Even more ironic in light of how many iterations there have been of Final Fantasy, Madden, Tony Hawk, and Dynasty Warriors :lmao:

Don't forget Mortal Kombat ( spelt with a K for some reason :S )

jayjay119
25th Oct 2009, 20:09

Don't forget Mortal Kombat ( spelt with a K for some reason :S )

And, metal gear 'insert word', street fighter, sonic, mario etc... multiple itterations just means its a success otherwise they wouldn't make it.

GamemasterJJ
25th Oct 2009, 20:19
And, metal gear 'insert word', street fighter, sonic, mario etc... multiple itterations just means its a success otherwise they wouldn't make it.

I never get bored of sequals being the same. Otherwise I'd have loved Legend and Underworld (which would be a lie).

However I do get bored of a game that has no variation within itself.

jayjay119
25th Oct 2009, 20:39
I never get bored of sequals being the same. Otherwise I'd have loved Legend and Underworld (which would be a lie).

However I do get bored of a game that has no variation within itself.

Agreed, the general theme and base of the gameplay must stay the same, but other things shouldn't be changed to much or not enough, the key is balance really.

Samara
25th Oct 2009, 21:35
I tried Silent Hill: Homecoming, and believe me, this is scary!
I am so used to games where the character aims automaticly, but now with a gun I have to aim by myself to shoot a monster and this is really not cool! :eek:
They always come close to me and I freak out! :hmm:

There is this nice game too if you like tomb raiding: Indiana Jones and the emperor's tomb. I like Indy so much that even if this is an old game with not so good graphics, I play it again and again!

jayjay119
25th Oct 2009, 22:16
The aiming system didn't really bother me in Silent Hill:H to be honest, it was quite fluid, it was the auto aim with melee weapons that annoyed me, Alex reacted too slow, couldn't move fast enough to get away from enemies and couldn't fight more than on enemy at a time which would have been fine in the older games but in SH:H when there is often 5 enemies on you at once it becomes impossible and annoying. It is this that made me more open to the fact that all combat will be removed for SH:shattered memories.

The story of SH;S was good but gameplay and ambience wise 'The collective' didn't get it quite right where as clover did with origins, i think future SH games should be left with them.

Samara
25th Oct 2009, 23:27
the auto aim with melee weapons that annoyed me, Alex reacted too slow, couldn't move fast enough to get away from enemies and couldn't fight more than on enemy at a time which would have been fine in the older games but in SH:H when there is often 5 enemies on you at once it becomes impossible and annoying.

Absolutely, Alex is way too slow and this is difficult to kill without losing life... :poke:
And I think there is never enough medpacks and life drinks, but this is the 1st Silent Hill game I play, so I can't be as good as I am at Tomb Raider! :hmm:

Ants_27_
26th Oct 2009, 08:49
Absolutely, Alex is way too slow and this is difficult to kill without losing life... :poke:
And I think there is never enough medpacks and life drinks, but this is the 1st Silent Hill game I play, so I can't be as good as I am at Tomb Raider! :hmm:

Isn't that what makes the game Silent Hill, I mean without that how can you possibly feel scared.:D

Besides, I wish a lot more other franchises would borrow that: never enough ammo and medi-packs idea. That's survival horror for ya, shame resident evil 4 & 5 weren't the same:( Then again I think resi 4 had one of the best reboots, if you look at the old resi games.

If TR 9 does plan on leaning towards more of the survival horror then maybe they will borrow a lot from past resi games and silent hill games:cool:

angelus0901
26th Oct 2009, 09:29
Right now I'm playing Batman Arkham Asylum, I recommend it to anyone!!! ;)
I'm planning to buy Assassin's Creed II and Diablo III... Does anyone know when D3 is coming out? No news yet...

naraku
26th Oct 2009, 10:25
Isn't that what makes the game Silent Hill, I mean without that how can you possibly feel scared.:D

Besides, I wish a lot more other franchises would borrow that: never enough ammo and medi-packs idea. That's survival horror for ya, shame resident evil 4 & 5 weren't the same:( Then again I think resi 4 had one of the best reboots, if you look at the old resi games.

If TR 9 does plan on leaning towards more of the survival horror then maybe they will borrow a lot from past resi games and silent hill games:cool:

Unfortunately for us in the process, I might add. :whistle:

Me. I'm finishing up Batman A.A. right know. I'm playing it on hard, and boy is it ever. :cool: So much so that I had to put it down, otherwise I'll end up with aching hands, and played/finished Uncharted 2 as a in between-er.

Also Unfortunate for me, I'm not looking forward to any current Christmas tittles. I'm more or less looking futher ahead to next summer. That'll be the time I get my Hands on God of War 3,:thumb: hopefully it won't get pushed back. By then we'll hear more "Official news" of TR9, hopefully and maybe pre-order it.

Assassins Creed was for me at least, my least entertaining gaming experience, and I dare say I won't be getting Assassins Creed 2. If the new PoP(PS3) is any indication, it will be more of the same.

Now that I think about it, I'll probably grab Sims 3, just to brighten my boring days leading up to GOW3.

tombraidergal
26th Oct 2009, 11:40
recently? I haven't bought a single game recently... i want to try uncharted but it just seems to much of a lara croft rip off to me. isn't it only available on ps3 though? I have xbox 360. i'd like guitar hero 5 for x-mas!

Ants_27_
26th Oct 2009, 11:53
Also Unfortunate for me, I'm not looking forward to any current Christmas tittles. I'm more or less looking futher ahead to next summer. That'll be the time I get my Hands on God of War 3,:thumb: hopefully it won't get pushed back. By then we'll hear more "Official news" of TR9, hopefully and maybe pre-order it.

Assassins Creed for was for me at least, my least entertaining gaming experience, and I dare say I won't be getting Assassins Creed 2. If the new PoP(PS3) is any indication, it will be more of the same.

Now that I think about it, I'll probably grab Sims 3, just to brighten my boring days leading up to GOW3.

My computer cries when I think about the sims 3, yeah, my PC is a load of crap:lol:

I'm like you, I'm more looking towards heavy rain God of war 3 (so more of the games next year)

As for assassins creed 2 then I will buy it once it has come down in price, after the first one I think that is the best option. I am also not buying call of duty because I only like world war FPS games, more interesting.

P.S. Bought GTA IV again today and for me Rockstar really are the kings of open world, with all the level of detail (granted it's not the best GTA, that's vice city):whistle:

BlueSkiesXXV
26th Oct 2009, 20:34
I have been playing a lot of Uncharted 2 recently. It is a seriously amazing game & I think that any Tomb Raider fan will really enjoy it!!! It has raised the bar for gaming in general (not just in the adventure genre).

jayjay119
26th Oct 2009, 20:46

No, don't worry, I have played every Silent hill game and I found this game impossibly hard and irritating to either survive or have decent life. You are right there was not enough health around for the amount it took off you.

There was more than enough ammo round, but not enough health. You could find shotgun bullets in their hundreds but you save them for the boss fights, unfortunately they just didn't do anything! And the melee weapons were too slow for most ordinary monsters... apparently there was a trick/weakness to each on but it was very rarely true!

LC is Me
26th Oct 2009, 22:06
The only games that are on my radar for now are Tekken 6 and BioShock 2.

I've been playing Bomberman LIVE, L4D, Gears 2 [even though its making me want to kick babies now], and DDR...
e___e

I've been bored with my games...
So I have started playing my older TR games and stuff like Gex.
And I get a kick out of watching my mom fail at Wii Sports and SSBB.

Samara
27th Oct 2009, 20:29

Of course! But this is cool sometimes to be scared. We always need something different,I mean TR games are not really scary, exept for my friend, who could not play the older games because he was scared (sounds, atmosphere and controls he was not used to).

JRod108
27th Oct 2009, 20:31
I got Halo ODST this past week. I beat it, and now I needs some friends to play firefight...

Black_Alchemist
27th Oct 2009, 20:37
im currently playing Red Faction Guerrilla, to be honest its just like Grand Theft Auto but on Mars, its still fun but once you've got every mission done and are just trying to get fast times for delivering vehicles it gets a bit boring, trying to find the last 4 ores in a vast open world is horrible

am also playing Ghostbusters at the moment

donnabright
28th Oct 2009, 10:03
Favorite ps2 games: I gave my xbox 360 away because it broke. I am now playing PS2 games. My favorite PS2 games are:

1. TRL
2. TRA
3. TRU..I have played about 300 times. I am very good at TRU.
4. AOD, Angle of Darkness, great game, except for the controls. Man I am trying to jump. LOL.
5. Primal. I wish they would have made a part 2. I really love this game.

6. Need for speed series
7. Nascar games, 6, 7, 8, 9
8. Carbon
9. Gran Trismo series
10. Blood Omen
11. Spryo series
12. FF games
13. Devil may cry series
14. Castlvaina
15. Pop series
16. Ghost hunter
17. FF XI for PC

Ants_27_
1st Nov 2009, 09:24
im currently playing Red Faction Guerrilla, to be honest its just like Grand Theft Auto but on Mars, its still fun but once you've got every mission done and are just trying to get fast times for delivering vehicles it gets a bit boring, trying to find the last 4 ores in a vast open world is horrible

am also playing Ghostbusters at the moment

I know what you mean about looking for the final few collectables in an open-world. Same with inFamous, you had to collect something like 300 blast shards, maybe it was 200:scratch: Anyway, I've still not done it yet.

Ghostbusters was a fun game that I think people overlooked how good it actually was, but I suppose it is down to opinion.

I bought GTA ChinaTown Wars for PSP and I love the old top down view that the originals have... ah, memories:lol:

Sophiafan
14th Nov 2009, 03:10
PoP's two thrones game is best at moment for me. Think it's quite similar to TR but I actually the variety in gameplay and fast pace of it made it every bit as good as Underworld.