PDA

View Full Version : Any fix for GTX 2XX cards downclocking??

iceman0124
14th Oct 2009, 16:00
Title sums it up, on certain scense, namely boss fights like Bane and Ivy, its also happend with Scarecrow, my GTX260FTW even at stock clocks will occasionally drop to abysmally slow clocks and I have to restart to get them back, any practical solutions?

TitusTroy
15th Oct 2009, 07:50
Title sums it up, on certain scense, namely boss fights like Bane and Ivy, its also happend with Scarecrow, my GTX260FTW even at stock clocks will occasionally drop to abysmally slow clocks and I have to restart to get them back, any practical solutions?

I also have the GTX260...how can you tell that your video card clocks are dropping?...which program do you use and does it need to be running at the same time as the game?

lawsie
15th Oct 2009, 13:01
is use evga precision (same card) but i have never seen the clocks drop on it though. In any game actually. Unless you are referring to getting lag at a certain point on scarecrow 2, the bit with the skeletons. It is the only place my computer suffers major slowdown but only when running high physx, the rest of the game runs like a dream. But tbh i wouldn't think it was the card downclocking itself.

deders
15th Oct 2009, 15:12
I don't think it's the same issue as Lawsie pointed out but he may be onto something, are you absolutely sure your clocks are downclocking? the scenes you mention have a high amount of physx work that your card might not have the right number of stream processors to handle smoothly. that is if you are running physx on high, your card should be able to handle it on medium.

If it is downclocking, make sure you take measurements just after you alt-tab from the game as these cards are designed to run at much lower speeds when in 2d mode. check the 'power managment mode' setting in the nvidia control panel and see if it's set to adaptive or maximum performance. With max performance it shouldn't downclock at all. the only reason I can think of that it might is if not enough power is being fed to the card, usually you will get a message saying this is what happened (unless you've disabled it, I've accidentally disabled mine in the past).

You may need to make sure that your PSU is powerful enough and if it uses different rails, that your gfx card gets its own rail and the rest of your system uses the other.

ashram
16th Oct 2009, 14:32
seems as if the card may be crashing... i had the same issues when overclocking my gtx 275... the game would run fine, then the screen would flash and then i'd have REALLY low framerates. lowering my overclocked settings slightly (by 10Mhz) and the game has played flawlessy... if your running your FTW edition at it's stock speeds and it's still doing this, i'd load up the evga precision app, drop the settings a little and try it out. if it runs fine, yhen i'd contact evga.