PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite characterization of batman in a novel

MACGRUBER
12th Oct 2009, 22:50
mine would have to be a tie bettween the long halloween and arkham asylum. I loved that they both delved into batmans twisted phyche and made him a grey character but still a hero.

Old_BenKenobi
13th Oct 2009, 07:51
The Dark Knight Returns comes to mind. It's the only one that really stands out as being unique in my memory out of the books I've read. The rest just seem like regular Batman.

Sir Legendhead
13th Oct 2009, 08:25
Anybody else remember these? They weren't graphic novels, but short story anthologies like you'd see by Stephen King.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CIsx75kG_PM/SVRpltVy4FI/AAAAAAAAA-A/piGWN9oiPDw/s320/Batman.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/db/J-FAOTJ.jpg/200px-J-FAOTJ.jpg

Those two books had some of the best Batman stories I've ever read. The Batman one even had writing by Joe Lansdale and Isaac Asimov.

Seriously. Asimov wrote a Batman story. Kind of. His entry was...weird. Even weirder than Morrison, believe it or not.

I'd like to dig these up out of storage and read them again, now that I think about it. If you haven't read these yet, you should definitely check them out.

Old_BenKenobi
13th Oct 2009, 09:07
I have that first one! I bought it when I was a kid used for like, 50 cents!

But... I never finished reading the first story. I even dug it out again to read it recently and I only got halfway through.

But for ages I thought in the ucrrent comics the Joker was dead, since in the very first scene it shows him getting crushed in two huge stone wheels.

Sir Legendhead
14th Oct 2009, 06:27
The second book has what's probably my favorite Joker story of all time. I don't remember the details very well, but it went like this (major spoilers, obviously) -

Remember Leslie Thompkins, the lady who helped take care of Bruce Wayne after his parents died? He has this necklace that she gave him when he was a little boy, but it's one of those two-halves-of-a-heart lockets and she never has talked about who has the other half.

The day comes when Batman decides to deal with the Joker once and for all. He realizes he can't go on as a killer, so he blows up the Batcave with both of them inside of it.

They both survive. And while they're laying there in the wreckage, he notices that Joker is wearing the other half of his locket.

Turns out the lady who adopted Batman is Joker's mom. She's spent her entire life helping orphan kids because she felt bad about how things went between her and her psychotic son.

I don't remember exactly how the story ends, but most of it is just dialogue with Batman and Joker, while they're laying together in the rubble, realizing that they're brothers.

I think the name of it was "Best of All".