PDA

View Full Version : Which city is Gotham based on?

Gamemaster
11th Oct 2009, 16:00
I was wondering.Which city do you think Gotham is based on the most?The most likely candidates would be Chicago,Baltimore,and NYC.Chicago and Baltimore seem more likely since they are two of the citys with some of the highest crime rates in the country.

Im excluding L.A because Metropolis seems to be based on that city.Since its also in California.

Drazar
11th Oct 2009, 16:09
Gotham = New York at Night
Metropolis = New York at Day.

Ofcourse Gotham has become more of a "best city in the world" since the earthquake. Wayne enterprise rebuild the city and mad eit with some steel that can withstand earthquakes or so. ^^

iamtombombadil
11th Oct 2009, 16:10
Both Metropolis and Gotham are traditionally going to be tailored after NYC. However, I don't think that is a good way to look at Gotham. Gotham is Gotham in much the same was as NYC is NYC. You wouldn't ask which city NYC is based on would you? Same logic applies here apart from the difference that Gotham is fictional while NYC is real.

Gamemaster
11th Oct 2009, 16:26
Metropolis is in California so thats not based off of NYC.Remember in one of the Superman movies how Luthor wanted to blow up California for some reason?

To me Gotham seems to be more based on Chicago.NYC doesnt have that much crime anymore.

Drazar
11th Oct 2009, 16:32
"seems more based off now" isn't a proper argument. I mean Batman was created in 30s and Chicago was FULL of crime back then, and yet they still made it based off New York city. Just because times have changed doesn't make it any less true.

Also the Superman movies have no effect on what was based off anything. The writers have stated that:
Gotham = New York at Night
Metropolis = New York at Day.

I mean Gotham even comes from a nickname to New York city. Theres no question about it.

Gamemaster
11th Oct 2009, 16:35
Really?I thought the nickname for New York was the big apple.Howd it get that nickname.Does it mean anything?

JackWinz
11th Oct 2009, 17:00
It's based on NY, though it's located in new jersy.

Gamemaster
11th Oct 2009, 18:08
Heres a better way to look at it.
Jersey City=Gotham
Metropolis=NYC

Drazar
11th Oct 2009, 18:12
Why are you so persistant on this? Bill Finger outright said that Gotham is based off New York city. Theres no denying or changing that. It doesn't really matter where the fictional city is located on the map at all.

Gamemaster
11th Oct 2009, 18:15
Im not being persistent.It was more of a joke to pick on NewJersey.

But I think we can all agree now that Gotham is NYC.

JackieFiest
11th Oct 2009, 19:22
Why are you so persistant on this?

Because he thinks TDK and The Superman Movie are canonical.

I don't think he's aware of how things work.