PDA

View Full Version : Flaw in story

Gamemaster
10th Oct 2009, 22:38
I just finished playing the game.I did however find one big flaw in the story.If the criminals are so dangerous how come none were executed?Some killed hundreds of people.Is the death penalty outlawed in Gotham or something?Theyll just find a way to break free again if they get locked back up.

I think the beginning should have been that Joker was strapped to that table to be executed.

Drazar
10th Oct 2009, 22:39
You can't kill a person whos insane in the law. Because they aren't responsible for their acts since they can't tell whats right or wrong. This is how it is in the real world.

JackieFiest
10th Oct 2009, 22:42
It's not a flaw, it's absolutely correct. People who go into asylums for the criminally insane are people who are found "not guilty" by means of insanity...but part of that means they fully admit they did what they are being accused of, but due to some mental dysfunction didn't understand their actions. These people are not executed, but sent to asylums for treatment. It's the law.

Gamemaster
10th Oct 2009, 22:43
I guess that would be a perfect defense for Joker.

But all serial killers are insane.Yet they get the death penalty anyway.

Also Asylums dont exist anymore in real life.Ronald Reagan shut them down.

Revenant36
10th Oct 2009, 22:54
Actually, you'll never find someone in an asylum diagnosed as insane. It's not a clinical diagnosis - it's a legal definition, and what insane actually means is that the defendant understood that their actions were wrong, but were, for some reason or other, unable to control them. I believe that somebody defined as insane is deemed not guilty on grounds of "diminished responsibility for one's actions"...

Gamemaster
10th Oct 2009, 23:04
Insane is when you do something or act crazy.Like killing someone.

Thats my definition anyway.

Drazar
10th Oct 2009, 23:12

Yet sadly there are people in both fiction and reality. Who know the cause of death and still kill people. They have moral issues but not sanity issues.

Gamemaster
10th Oct 2009, 23:18
I thought Zsas or however you spell his name was the most realistic of the villains.He saw his victims as zombies.There really are killers like that.

Old_BenKenobi
10th Oct 2009, 23:51

You're only deemed Insane by the courts and excluded if you're incapable of understanding what you did was wrong, or if you have clear delusions or something like that.

In real life the defense only works like, 1% of the time. Gary Heidnik, John Wayne Gacy, hell, even Ted Bundy got executed, and all three were nuts.

But of course, fiction and especially comic books exploit the Insanity defense because it lets them keep characters alive.

But it really is insane.

As Hannibal Lecter said: "We live in a primitive time, don't we, Will? Neither savage nor wise. Half measures of the curse of it; any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use."

Gamemaster
10th Oct 2009, 23:54
You forgot about Charles Manson.He was one of the few who wernt executed.I think hes still alive and locked up.

I dont know if he actually killed anyone though.He might have just sent his "family" to do it.I dont remember if he did or not.

He may of even used insanity as a defense.Im not sure.

Revenant36
11th Oct 2009, 00:08
Yeah, it's a form of narcissistic personality disorder, whereby he believes that everybody around him is inferior, and therefore not worthy to live in the same world as him. Unless you hold that Zsasz actually believes other people are truly reanimated corpses, in which case it would be a form of schizophrenia, but these are both separate from insanity. For instance, a patient suffering from paranoid schizophrenia may believe that everybody they see is actually an agent of some covert government organisation who are monitoring their every move in an effort to abduct or kill them. Now, if the patient were to go ahead and murder these people they would be deemed insane as they felt they had no choice but to kill these people in order to protect themselves. However, if the patient were to recognise that murder is wrong and so they can't do anything about these "agents" they would not be deemed insane, but they would be deemed psychotic as they were suffering from a recognised psychotic disorder. Psychosis and insanity are not the same.

On another note, I agree that Zsasz is one of the more realistic villains. I was really hoping to see more of him in TDK as he would work wonderfully well in Nolan's movies. Ah well, there's always Batman 3 (or Batman 7, depending how you look at it :p )

Gamemaster
11th Oct 2009, 00:19
I think the next movie will have Two Face.There were lots of hints with Harvey doing his coin flipping.And the fact his face was burned.But there could be more than one villain in it.I also think Zsasz would be a good choice.

Nolans movies are a complete reimagining of Batman.So it would be Batman 3.

I doubt Penguin will be in it however.I hope not anyway.

SolidSnake_123
11th Oct 2009, 00:34
I think the next movie will have Two Face.There were lots of hints with Harvey doing his coin flipping.But there could be more than one villain in it.I also think Zsasz would be a good choice.

Whats wrong with Penguin? Haha.

Old_BenKenobi
11th Oct 2009, 00:52
I think the next movie will have Two Face.There were lots of hints with Harvey doing his coin flipping.But there could be more than one villain in it.I also think Zsasz would be a good choice.

Nolan said Two-Face died.

JackieFiest
11th Oct 2009, 00:58
Nolan said Two-Face died.

I'm pretty sure it had something to do with him being knocked off an unfinished building from several stories up. :nut: :D

Gamemaster
11th Oct 2009, 01:01
He could still come back.They always do.Anyway Two Face was supposed to be a villain not a hero.Next one he could be the villain.I dont think the name Two Face was even used in the movie.If it was I dont remember.

JackieFiest
11th Oct 2009, 01:13
Well, the problem is, the person who wrote and directed the films has said he's dead. Considering that the Nolan films are "supposedly" based on reality, I don't think someone returning from the dead is going to happen.

I wouldn't spend too much time hoping to see a character when the director has said he's dead.

Gamemaster
11th Oct 2009, 01:17
But hes still alive in Batman:AS.Explain that.

JackieFiest
11th Oct 2009, 01:22
Batman:TAS and TDK are made by different people entirely. They are the same characters but they have nothing in common.

Not to mention B:TAS has been off the air since the '90's.

Old_BenKenobi
11th Oct 2009, 01:25
I'm pretty sure it had something to do with him being knocked off an unfinished building from several stories up. :nut: :D

That'll do it. :p

Drazar
11th Oct 2009, 01:26
But hes still alive in Batman:AS.Explain that.

It's a different universe, plain and simple. I mean Nolan movies don't effect the Batman comics at all unless they choose to adapt something from it. I mean BTAS isn't part of any movie or so, but lets say there was a "Dark Knight" cartoon that was based off Nolans' movies, then there Two-Face couldn't appear at all. ^^

Gamemaster
11th Oct 2009, 01:52
Batman:AS stands for Arkham Asylum FYI.I meant to type in AA I just wasnt paying attention.

In DK they just showed TF lying on the ground.He could have just been unconscious.Though I doubt it now.

IN AA they did keep Batmans Batvision that he had in DK.Aka Detective mode.

When I first got the game I was thinking it was a sequel to Dark Knight for some reason.

But how are they going to bring the Joker back?The guy who played him is dead.

JackieFiest
11th Oct 2009, 01:55
Since when does Asylum start with S, that AS stands for Arkham Asylum?

Either way, it's still the same. The Dark Knight and Batman: Arkham Asylum are not the same. Nolan has a license to make Batman films without WB suing him, but Arkham Asylum was made, in part, by DC Comics. These are the people who make the comics, such as Paul Dini. The two are not the same.

And, I doubt that he was just unconscious when Nolan said Two Face is dead.

Drazar
11th Oct 2009, 01:56
Batman has had the detective mode in the comics long ago before Nolan decided to use Sonar vision for his Batman and again: Batman Arkham Asylum =/= Nolan's universe.

Kevin =]
11th Oct 2009, 09:52
the only flaw i saw was that at the end when jack ryder or someone said that all super villians had been rounded up... that was odd. i mean bane, killer croc, and scarecrow were still on the loose... only ivy had been rounded up

JackieFiest
11th Oct 2009, 10:23
;1200917']the only flaw i saw was that at the end when jack ryder or someone said that all super villians had been rounded up... that was odd. i mean bane, killer croc, and scarecrow were still on the loose... only ivy had been rounded up

Yea, I noticed that, too. I saw them with Ivy on a stretcher and Joker being carried off in one of those...umm...thingys. But, when you go back to the penitentiary, Harley is still in there and obviously Bane, Croc and Crane are not in custody. So yea, that was weird.

Gamemaster
11th Oct 2009, 15:39
I thought Croc killed Crane?

I think they left Harley in her cell just as a trophy like thing.So when you go back to explore your still not the only one there.Plus Batman had locked her up so there would be no need to move her.

JackieFiest
11th Oct 2009, 19:27
I thought Croc killed Crane?

I think they left Harley in her cell just as a trophy like thing.So when you go back to explore your still not the only one there.Plus Batman had locked her up so there would be no need to move her.

:(

No, Croc did not kill Crane. And there was obviously a need to move her when the game was over and all the inmates were being put back in their cells. And I doubt Batman is so desperate for company that would leave Harley in there so Batman wouldn't be the only one in there. I doubt she is at the top of his conversation list.

This is why I'm not having kids.

Gamemaster
11th Oct 2009, 20:14
Does it really even matter?The exploration part is not part of the story so anything can happen.