PDA

View Full Version : I smell another brutal flaming

RebeL_fARmeR
9th Oct 2009, 10:38
It's time for another law-suit

I was in PC world yesterday, trying to impress the young blonde sales assistant by showing her how many hard-drives I could fit in my mouth at any one time... Oh wait... that didn't happen.
My mistake.

Whatever

I walked past the graphics cards and noticed this very curious character...

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2008/09/sapphire-ati-radeon-hd-4870-x2/1.jpg

http://www.elsysadmin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sapphire-ati-radeon-4870.jpg

I dunno what to make of her! It kinda IS Lara... and just isn't!
She's got Legend's official belt, with the grapple device and frag grenades
She's got Legend's top... only weirdly coloured
She's got AoD's holsters
But that's not Lara's head... The face is completely different
Those aren't Lara's sunglasses or dual revolvers, or her necklace

So it's kinda like a hybrid! Lara's long lost sister of something? It looks like she's half official Lara and half brand new character.

What do you think? She's kinda fascinating... It's like a box featuring the real Lara and a complete stranger all at the same time.

<<<<<NOT SERIOUS COMMENT. INERT, FAUX, SPURIOUS, NOT GENUINE>>>>>
SUE SUE SUE!!!
<<<<<NOT SERIOUS COMMENT. INERT, FAUX, SPURIOUS, NOT GENUINE>>>>>

AND HEY!!! I searched the forum before posting this, so it HAS NOT been done to death... So flamethrowers down, everybody! you can't touch meeeeeee :lmao:

Randy 54
9th Oct 2009, 12:14
It sure looks like her to me, regardless of whatever accessories they put on her. In picture #2, those are definitely Lara's thighs.

jayjay119
9th Oct 2009, 12:21
Maybe they planned to use Lara as the spokes persona and a deal fell through, on the other hand enough about her is different to no infringe upon Tomb Raider or Lara so maybe the idea was to make her look enough like Lara to attract attention, and hey, it works!

RebeL_fARmeR
9th Oct 2009, 12:32
It sure looks like her to me, regardless of whatever accessories they put on her. In picture #2, those are definitely Lara's thighs.

See, that's one of the things that made me wonder. I couldn't quite work it out, was the middle-body ACTUALLY Lara's exact 3D frame? If not then it just happens to look very very very close. You look at her hands and you can see they're NOT official Lara hands, they're custom. But her waist, I can't call it. Fair point about the thighs though, they're very distinct, as thick as tree trunks!

Reminds me of one thing I noticed about AoD Lara. Her thighs are LITERALLY the same width as her waist... The old gal's always been a bit physically bizarre!
how you can have such an attribue and still look healthy sounds unlikely... but there she is!

RuumTaedor
9th Oct 2009, 13:51
Lol I can't help but be amused at your threads sometimes, Rebel Farmer. Interesting find. This is turning into your quest. I can't wait to see what else you come up with. BTW, I seem to have misplaced my flamethrower, so no worries from me.

RebeL_fARmeR
9th Oct 2009, 14:06
Well, not so much a quest, more just a case of I'm walking around and keep thinking "Umm... Is that Lara???"
At first I just thought it was just a mental illness, but here we are.

tombraidergal
9th Oct 2009, 15:08
that makes me mad those pics. is it a game? SUE SUE SUE! that is terrible! it's basically lara! how dare they? :( Lara is much better... stop trying to create a new lara people! Don't give her a new name and that reminds me of a sim character also.

EDIT: i don't think that is a game... mistakeness to the max! That's just a box for GB things... i think that is lara but just a different version. :p

RebeL_fARmeR
9th Oct 2009, 15:14
Wowee, this is going amazingly better than last time!!! :D

lilhanhan
9th Oct 2009, 15:38
Ah, I've seen a similar thread to this before (not on this forum though so you're safe). ;) I'm guessing they've used a similar render model to Lara because well, it a graphics card for gaming and also check out it's name it's says "Radeon"...

I think that they're playing with the word there and attempting to make a pun; because (if I've pronounced/read it right) the name sounds like "Raid on". Obviously, they don't have the rights to use Lara so what's the next best thing? Use a stereotypical videogame character who has some similarities but not enough to get in trouble for using Lara's image.

It's a bit like when you see a toy in the pound shop which uses similar character designs and artwork of Action Man, Power Rangers or what ever the latest cartoon/anime is popular with kids lately on the packaging. :)

Nice find though.

John Akam
9th Oct 2009, 16:48
For those who are familiar with the Sims custom contents, i call this as a 'recolour' of Legend Lara. Wohohoh!

Rexie
9th Oct 2009, 17:23
looks like something made in DAZ3D.

tombraidergal
9th Oct 2009, 17:36
@John akam... i did say about sims too. :p

oraclebop
9th Oct 2009, 17:38
For once, SUE SUE SUE is actually appropriate. :whistle:

If you can't have Lara, make a similar character.

John Akam
9th Oct 2009, 18:00
@John akam... i did say about sims too. :p

Yes, I was aware. :whistle: But there's nothing wrong with me mentioning the Sims again, is there? :lmao:

tombraidergal
9th Oct 2009, 18:16
nawww. there wasn't anything wrong. :p

JRod108
9th Oct 2009, 20:37
Ah! Now that's a better example. I can actually see where you're coming from. Yes, this person really does look like Lara. Almost to the point of ridiculousness. :lol:

RebeL_fARmeR
9th Oct 2009, 21:47
Yes, I was aware. :whistle: But there's nothing wrong with me mentioning the Sims again, is there? :lmao:

THE SIMS!!!
Aaah, feels good.

I think I might know what you mean there. I saw on the front of a Sims box this one character, face looked quite like Lara. Wouldn't have said it was a rip off as such, but kinda did look like her.

But I was in a toyshop a few months ago, looked at a Barbie doll, she looked like Lara (face only)!

Sorry Lara, but I saw what I...
What?
Divorce?
LARA PLEEEEEEASE!!!
Aww........

Looks like I'm sleeping on the sofa tonight... :(

nikkinickels
10th Oct 2009, 03:09
oh man, if they wanted to use lara why don't they just have lara advertise for them or something instead of take pieces of her body making it look noticeable, i see where they're trying to get at but still, it's kinda stupid. damn companies

AdobeArtist
10th Oct 2009, 03:50
Ah! Now that's a better example. I can actually see where you're coming from. Yes, this person really does look like Lara. Almost to the point of ridiculousness. :lol:

This is as blatant as it gets. No way you can't tell me ATI didn't get that image from Legend Lara. Bring on the lawyers!!!!

*blows into horn to sound the charge*

Dusk Knight
10th Oct 2009, 07:48
Might have something to do with one of Sapphire's competitors, MSI, getting to use official Tomb Raider artwork on some of their Radeon 4870s.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f215/Dusk-Knight/prod_r4870.jpg
Apparently MSI bundles TRU (http://www.msi.com/html/popup/VGA/tru/tru.html) with the card... in certain regions. Not sure where exactly, since I found it on their global site (it's not on the US site). Might not be current anymore.

The Sapphire art really does look like a modified or copied Legend Lara. The face and hands look like they might come from ATI's Ruby mascot.

RebeL_fARmeR
10th Oct 2009, 10:14
Might have something to do with one of Sapphire's competitors, MSI, getting to use official Tomb Raider artwork on some of their Radeon 4870s.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f215/Dusk-Knight/prod_r4870.jpg
Apparently MSI bundles TRU (http://www.msi.com/html/popup/VGA/tru/tru.html) with the card... in certain regions. Not sure where exactly, since I found it on their global site (it's not on the US site). Might not be current anymore.

The Sapphire art really does look like a modified or copied Legend Lara. The face and hands look like they might come from ATI's Ruby mascot.

WOAH! Lara's arms in that pic you just posted... They look BIG and muscle-bound!
I'm scared!

Hmm, I remember Rubi... Let's Googleize this..............
Rubi's face is kinda similar to out mystery Sapphire character, but her lips are bolder, not sure if it's meant to be Rubi re-cycled, but... ooh, this is a tough one.

If I did Video forensics for a living I'd be able to tell you!
but I'm an AutoCAD technician!!! heh

Bampire
10th Oct 2009, 10:33
Nice find. We have something else to pick on.

The people who pretty much re-colored and added on some crap to make this woman not look like "Lara" is a failed attempt. It's rather pathetic. I feel as through poor Lara was raped in this.

Oh, let's put the goggles in, the necklace.. Make her shirt a bit longer from the Legend model.. Oh, don't forget hideous designs on the top, and the lazy re-coloring in each area.. Oh, and we gotta give her a 9mm pistol in one hand while she has gun holsters on her thighs alike of Lara. We'll just say that we were inspired, but technically we stole the character and added pointless crap to make it 'seem' like we didn't 'steal' it. What a great plan, yes? Ah, yes.. A fantastic plan indeed. They wont know what hit them!

_Love2Raid_
10th Oct 2009, 14:43
Lol, that´s Legend Lara! :D

RebeL_fARmeR
10th Oct 2009, 16:54
you can't see it on my 2nd picture because it says "Sapphire" over her rear, but she has Legend Lara's MK2 pineapple grenades as well...

RebeL_fARmeR
10th Oct 2009, 16:55
Oh Radeon, what have you done?

I'M ASHAMED TO HAVE ONE OF YOUR GRAPHICS CARDS!

(Pulls out card and stamps on it madly)

What the?
Hey, my computer's busted!

tombraidergal
10th Oct 2009, 17:08
Lol. Rebel_fARmeR you're funny... :p

Maybe they thought, hey, since nobody liked Legend (wrong!) it'll be ok for us to steal her (wrong) and swap her head with a sims character, and oooh. what's that? A lara croft modding kit? we'll use that and mod her legend outfit! Now this is bliss.

:p

Tihocan
11th Oct 2009, 00:42
Oh gee fARmeR, why do you have do go screaming SUE when anyone has something that looks even remotely like Lara?!

Sorry, couldn't help myself :P

Yeah, that model is dodgy as hell. Maybe they made a deal with Eidos to model Lara's technogeek sister...

You should make a page on your site dedicated to conspiratorial Lara references.

JRod108
11th Oct 2009, 02:57
Look out Lara! It's your long lost sister! She's come to take the Croft name!! :eek: Lol, ever time I look at this it looks more and more like Lara. :lol:

RebeL_fARmeR
11th Oct 2009, 10:20
Oh gee fARmeR, why do you have do go screaming SUE when anyone has something that looks even remotely like Lara?!

Sorry, couldn't help myself :P

Yeah, that model is dodgy as hell. Maybe they made a deal with Eidos to model Lara's technogeek sister...

You should make a page on your site dedicated to conspiratorial Lara references.

See, I was wondering. I figured that it looked SO MUCH like Lara (and even appears to use original Lara "parts" in places) maybe they paid royalties and are authorised to use this hybrid model? This new character looks so very much like Lara I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that she's licensed.

But I won't be creating a conspiracy web page on my website because in... (check)... About 14 days my website and the WHOLE of geocities is getting erased by Yahoo
WHY we don't know, but there we are!
I really should look into backing up and preserving my site... but.......... meh!

Arctic
11th Oct 2009, 12:53
Um, lol, that's Lara :D Except it isn't, but omg, that's such a copy!

Randy 54
11th Oct 2009, 13:33
After looking at it again, I would say absolutely they used Lara Croft as a model to fashion out that version. I have to agree with Mr. Farmer on this one.

tombraidergal
11th Oct 2009, 16:14
maybe they combined lara, amanda and the 'evil coat rack empire room' in bolivia legend.

RebeL_fARmeR
11th Oct 2009, 19:02
I have to agree with Mr. Farmer on this one.

Go fARmeR :nut:

(Does little dance)

nikkinickels
12th Oct 2009, 03:57
maybe they combined lara, amanda and the 'evil coat rack empire room' in bolivia legend.

LMFAO, makes sense, i like that idea

phoenixflames
12th Oct 2009, 06:49
who the hell did they hire to design this? a cheap rip-off of lara croft would not interest me in buying this product...

Ants_27_
12th Oct 2009, 07:10
who the hell did they hire to design this? a cheap rip-off of lara croft would not interest me in buying this product...

Even if it 'was' Lara on the package of a product it still wouldn't persuade me to buy it. Shouldn't everyone be happy that a company still wants a 'form' of Lara to advertise their products? I mean when does a company ever want a 'piece' of Lara.

Arctic
12th Oct 2009, 09:49

Haha :D You're right!

RebeL_fARmeR
12th Oct 2009, 13:16
I'm immune to box-art. I mean, writing "TURBO" in huge letters on your old rusty Peugeot 106 DOES NOT make it faster! It'd be seriously cool to have a graphics card in your computer with a picture of Lara on it, but if the card itself is rubbish then... well... don't buy it!!!
Who knows, card could be good, could be bad, I'm not saying it's either.

My Radeon card is the size of a VCR tape...... WHY????????
Randomness.

If only it had a picture of Lara on it... oh to dream.........

nikkinickels
12th Oct 2009, 19:02
maybe it's lara's younger cousin :D

RebeL_fARmeR
12th Oct 2009, 19:13
I think it's her long lost sister, Roxanne!

MissJess
12th Oct 2009, 21:55
Thats funny. They didnt even take off the grapple or binoculars. As soon as I saw those I knew it was Legend Lara lol.

oraclebop
18th Oct 2009, 01:12
What worries me is that they put "Ruby" on the cover too... :whistle:

IvanaKC
18th Oct 2009, 12:47
I suppose they have a premission because I read somewhere that all those character on graphics card boxes are not from any game and they shouldn't be from any game. For example Gigabyte company has the same picture for ATI and NVidia if they have the same performances.

tombraidergal
18th Oct 2009, 12:48
yeah. they've had permission. i agree. they wouldn't go and do that, these things have to be approved of before they are put on stock.

IvanaKC
18th Oct 2009, 12:51
And characters show what is the card capable for. So why should be worried? Buy ATI Radeon 4870 and play! XD :D

_Love2Raid_
18th Oct 2009, 12:57
Thats funny. They didnt even take off the grapple or binoculars. As soon as I saw those I knew it was Legend Lara lol.

Same here. :D