PDA

View Full Version : Half-installed, crashed and can now neither play or install

WithoutLife
4th Oct 2009, 19:33
Hi all, I have a serious problem:
I was trying to install Arkham Asylum and got to the point where it was installing Microsoft .NET Framework. At that point it seemed that the whole installer froze and after having waited a great deal (maybe not enough) of time, I pulled the plug on the PC.

Now, however, I can't play the game (it's not installed according to Windows XP) but at the same time I can't install (the launcher greys out 'Install game', and only allows 'Play game' - which doesn't work as I obviously get a 'File not found' error :mad2: )

As I suspected that it would have something to do with the registry, I tried looking with regedit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eidos Interactive Limited\Batman: Arkham Asylum where I find one entry: Name is "(Standard)" Type is "REG_SZ" and the value is 'not defined' - I tried to delete it, but regedit will not allow it.

So, my question: How can I get to install Arkham Asylum without having to reformat the entire goddamn harddrive? Please help!

cyborg34572
4th Oct 2009, 20:12
just search everywhere in the registry. Im sure there are more batman stuff in there that you havent deleted.

GuitarBat
4th Oct 2009, 20:26
You could try ccleaner or revouninstaller to see if that will get rid of the registry entries.

WithoutLife
4th Oct 2009, 21:44
You could try ccleaner or revouninstaller to see if that will get rid of the registry entries.
I have already tried CCleaner, and it finds one key in the registry. However, when I fix it, and then rescan for problems it pops up again! I have no idea wth is going on.
And can Revouninstaller help even though no actual files are present on the PC?

@cyborg34572: The registry is huge! Any idea where to start? Also, what should I do with the entry I can't delete? I considered booting in safe mode and trying deleting it then. Could that work?

deders
5th Oct 2009, 07:17
So, my question: How can I get to install Arkham Asylum without having to reformat the entire goddamn harddrive? Please help!

Use the find tool to search for all references to arkham and delete them, worked for me. I don't see why regedit won't allow you to delete any entries, can you explain what happened when you tried?

cyborg34572
5th Oct 2009, 08:21
As I suspected that it would have something to do with the registry, I tried looking with regedit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eidos Interactive Limited\Batman: Arkham Asylum where I find one entry: Name is "(Standard)" Type is "REG_SZ" and the value is 'not defined' - I tried to delete it, but regedit will not allow it.
"

u cant really delete that string in any registry entry.
but ur doing it wrong, ur trying to delete that one string, u need to delete the whole "Eidos Interactive Limited " folder, thats if only the batman folder is in it.If there are any other Eidos games in it then u only delete the "Batman Arkham Asylum" folder.After that reboot ur system.

If that stil doesnt work theres another directory u need to delete
find the folder "RocksteadyLtd" in the registry and delete the batman folder in it

http://i34.tinypic.com/jr8rqp.jpg

I think thats what u need to delete because that string specifies where the application is installed. So its telling ur system that the game is already installed.

edit:
found more

http://i38.tinypic.com/2z7k4yg.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/i512m9.jpg

but idk where those ones are located, i just used the find command and it found those deeply hidden batman registry strings.But yeah u need to get rid of all of those.

deders
5th Oct 2009, 08:24
yeah you probably tried to delete a the value data instead of the whole value

WithoutLife
5th Oct 2009, 09:29
"

u cant really delete that string in any registry entry.
but ur doing it wrong, ur trying to delete that one string, u need to delete the whole "Eidos Interactive Limited " folder, thats if only the batman folder is in it.If there are any other Eidos games in it then u only delete the "Batman Arkham Asylum" folder.After that reboot ur system.

If that stil doesnt work theres another directory u need to delete
find the folder "RocksteadyLtd" in the registry and delete the batman folder in it

http://i34.tinypic.com/jr8rqp.jpg

I think thats what u need to delete because that string specifies where the application is installed. So its telling ur system that the game is already installed.

Thanks a lot cyborg! When I removed that, it all worked again, and I now have the game installed. Thanks for all the help :thumb:

cyborg34572
5th Oct 2009, 10:41
Im glad that workd :thumb:
Happy gaming :D