PDA

View Full Version : I am almost cirtian this crash is due to my GPU being broken, but just to check...

=ColdFire=
4th Oct 2009, 10:36
I am almost cirtian this crash is due to my GPU being broken, but just to check...

Does anyone have crashed where the screen goes black, and then your monitor displays a no-single message?

But you may be able to hear sound. I just want to be sure this is just my GPU (which it should be), than the game.

deders
4th Oct 2009, 10:57
It may not be your GPU

Is this with all games?
does it happen as soon as you start playing or only after a while?

I have occasionally had this issue with Arkham Asylum and sometimes with other games but it is a rare occurence, in my case there is a message box but it's hidden behind the black screen. sometimes just pressing enter will send me back to desktop, other times I have to Alt-Tab to get the error message up or even Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the taskmanager up so I can close the progam manually.

Sometimes the black screen gets in the way of this and I have to guess where the error buttons or task manager are and bring it over to my second monitor which doesn't go black. Only on extremly rare situations do I have to switch the computer off.
One way of determining how badly your computer has crashed is by trying the caps lock key, if the light still comes on and off for it then the operating system is still ticking along behind the app and you can usually switch to it and resolve the error
I also have a button that is specific to my keyboard, (you may have one too) which toggles advanced functions on the function keys (F1 etc) so a light comes on when it's on. This is independent of the OS and works on a much lower hardware level so if this light doesn't work then I know something has really messed up and the only option is to switch the computer at the psu.

ReVolut1on
4th Oct 2009, 11:39
Download Furmark (google), run the stability test and see if the same thing happens.

=ColdFire=
4th Oct 2009, 16:05
I am reasonably sure that it is my graphics card, but it seem Batman is very good at overheating it :(

deders
4th Oct 2009, 16:11
I am reasonably sure that it is my graphics card, but it seem Batman is very good at overheating it :(

in that case try ReVolut1on's suggestion fur mark is an excellent stress test for your graphics. see how long you can run the stress test. if your card is overheating you may need to look into how your cases airflow is working, or not as the case (no pun intended) may be.

(I actually run my computer with the side off and a small-medium deskfan poised for when it might get hot. why spend 150 on watercooling when 5 will get you something that will do almost as good)

lawsie
4th Oct 2009, 20:14
it is overheating yes.

lostsomething
4th Oct 2009, 20:26
It certainly sounds like the video card, you might want to try sweeping then installing a different set of drivers though - just to rule out the software element as best you can.