PDA

View Full Version : Patch for ATI users

Thunder50
1st Oct 2009, 10:48
Hey guys just want to say how much I was looking forward to this title and it was well worth the wait......at least that's what I thought until I saw what the game looks like on Nvidia hardware. Physx might not be a big thing for some users but when I shell out a big wad of cash on a rig that should whoop any game's ass and still fall short of a perfect running game all because I have an ATI card and not Nvidia is just plain wrong in my opinion. Us ATI users fork out just as much for this game and we get screwed over totally. Heaven forbid game developers such as yourselves would actually stop and think about the gaming public in general and not about filling your back pockets with Nvidia kickbacks. I can't believe that Nvidia can get away with doing something so drastic as this. Sure the game is still fantastic, but it could be so much better than that for ATI users if you guys could come up with some kind of physics enabled patch. We should not have to suffer just because we don't have Nvidia.

cyborg34572
1st Oct 2009, 11:33
dude a patch isnt gonna work

ati cards do not have the hardware to do physx.
they arent built to process physx effects.

nvidia cards are built to process physx.
thats why they get physx.

its a hardware thing.
not the game.

GuitarBat
1st Oct 2009, 11:42
PhysX adds very little to the game really, it just adds a few more features that make the game more immersing. Sadly there is no other way to use PhysX but to buy an Nvidia card and run the game exclusively on that.

BTW I have played through the game on a 4850 and I thought the game was stunning. My bro has an Nvidia card so tried the demo on that PC and really didn't pay attention to the differences really.

You really aren't missing out enought to warrant spending a load of money on a new card, that's just what Nvidia want you to think!

cyborg34572
1st Oct 2009, 11:48
PhysX adds very little to the game really, it just adds a few more features that make the game more immersing. Sadly there is no other way to use PhysX but to buy an Nvidia card and run the game exclusively on that.

BTW I have played through the game on a 4850 and I thought the game was stunning. My bro has an Nvidia card so tried the demo on that PC and really didn't pay attention to the differences really.

You really aren't missing out enought to warrant spending a load of money on a new card, that's just what Nvidia want you to think!

i think exactly the same.
i have a 4870x2 and im happy with the game.

and weird enough my bro has an nvidia card too and hes able to play the game with physx.
ive tried it but i dont really even notice the physx effects.
i think physx is kinda "gimmicky"
stuff u dont really notice that much

Cirap
1st Oct 2009, 11:52
NVIDIA owns PhysX so it ain't gonna happen

they offered AMD to port PhysX to their cards last yer, but AMD said no, they wanted to keep working on GPU accelerated Havoc instead.

Doodad
1st Oct 2009, 13:30
Yes, I have crossfire x 4650X2 on a gigabyte 2oz copper mboard 8gb memory.
I ran the game without a hitch on my ATI rig with the physx installed both 1.0 and then patched it and it was still great.
I did not have any of the stiff batman problems I see some people have.
I do use the ATI fusion tool every time I run a system hog game and it makes a huge difference. I also defrag my hd a lot to prevent hiccups.
It was an awesome game and fun. I only had 2 spots in the whole game where Batman got stuck in a corner, however, that can happen in any game.

Thunder50
1st Oct 2009, 15:33
Thanks for the replies guys. It's good to know I'm not missing out on much. It just kinda blows not being able to run a game at it's full potential when I have a rig that should ace it. Oh well, while I was kinda thinking about getting Nvidia next time that won't be for a long ways of yet. It's gonna take more than a few flappy banners and smoke effects to make me switch straight away.

lostsomething
1st Oct 2009, 15:35
Hey guys just want to say how much I was looking forward to this title and it was well worth the wait......at least that's what I thought until I saw what the game looks like on Nvidia hardware. Physx might not be a big thing for some users but when I shell out a big wad of cash on a rig that should whoop any game's ass and still fall short of a perfect running game all because I have an ATI card and not Nvidia is just plain wrong in my opinion. Us ATI users fork out just as much for this game and we get screwed over totally. Heaven forbid game developers such as yourselves would actually stop and think about the gaming public in general and not about filling your back pockets with Nvidia kickbacks. I can't believe that Nvidia can get away with doing something so drastic as this. Sure the game is still fantastic, but it could be so much better than that for ATI users if you guys could come up with some kind of physics enabled patch. We should not have to suffer just because we don't have Nvidia.

There's currently no way of running PhysX on Ati hardware. For that matter, there's currently no *alternative* to PhysX that's capable of running on Ati hardware. What are you supposed to do?

nvidia cards are built to process physx.
thats why they get physx.

No they aren't. nVidia's PhysX implementation is software based on top of their native CUDA programming language.

GuitarBat
1st Oct 2009, 15:44
NVIDIA owns PhysX so it ain't gonna happen

they offered AMD to port PhysX to their cards last yer, but AMD said no, they wanted to keep working on GPU accelerated Havoc instead.

I'm sure you can see that ATI said no due to PhysX being optimised for Nvidia hardware and therefore ATI would always end up with poorer performance on effected games. Nvidia will have to port PhysX to openCL soon anyway if they want it to stay relevant and then everyone will be able to use it!

ATI cards are just as capable of running physics on their GPU's but until there is a universal format that every card can use (directx11 with any luck!) then it's never going to be fully adopted by any game developer.

GuitarBat
1st Oct 2009, 15:57
Thanks for the replies guys. It's good to know I'm not missing out on much. It just kinda blows not being able to run a game at it's full potential when I have a rig that should ace it. Oh well, while I was kinda thinking about getting Nvidia next time that won't be for a long ways of yet. It's gonna take more than a few flappy banners and smoke effects to make me switch straight away.

Cool. Keep in mind that ATI are first off the mark with Directx11 and Nvidia seem to be dragging their heels a bit just as they did with 10.1, if your building your own you will probably want a HYDRA enabled motherboard soon too! You can have the best of both worlds, check it out:
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=785

lostsomething
1st Oct 2009, 16:08
nVidia's already dropping GT300 specs, it'll probably be available by the time DX11 titles actually start coming out.

TheOracle
1st Oct 2009, 17:14
Nvidia has announced that from now on they are locking other video card manafacturers out of Phys-x processing altogether. So if you want Phys-x you have to have an Nvidia card, no exceptions.

Posted by timothy on Wednesday September 30, @04:06PM
from the semi-open dept.
graphics
An anonymous reader writes "In a foot-meet-bullet type move, NVidia is going to disable PhysX engine if you are using a display adapter other than one that came from their company. This despite the fact that you may have an NVidia card on your system specifically to do this type of processing. 'For a variety of reasons some development expense, some quality assurance and some business reasons Nvidia will not support GPU accelerated PhysX with Nvidia GPUs while GPU rendering is happening on non-Nvidia GPUs.' Time to say hello to Microsoft dx physics or Intel's Havok engine."

lostsomething
1st Oct 2009, 17:41
I think that might've been more reflective that nVidia doesn't want people buying a cheap $70 9600 GT to get the same PhysX experience with their existing Ati card that people do with a single GTX 260 or something.

nVidia's talked about porting PhysX to OpenCL in the past, they just aren't likely to do it so long as they run the only show in town.

Inzane
1st Oct 2009, 19:04
Nvidia has announced that from now on they are locking other video card manafacturers out of Phys-x processing altogether. So if you want Phys-x you have to have an Nvidia card, no exceptions.

Posted by timothy on Wednesday September 30, @04:06PM
from the semi-open dept.
graphics
An anonymous reader writes "In a foot-meet-bullet type move, NVidia is going to disable PhysX engine if you are using a display adapter other than one that came from their company. This despite the fact that you may have an NVidia card on your system specifically to do this type of processing. 'For a variety of reasons some development expense, some quality assurance and some business reasons Nvidia will not support GPU accelerated PhysX with Nvidia GPUs while GPU rendering is happening on non-Nvidia GPUs.' Time to say hello to Microsoft dx physics or Intel's Havok engine."

Amen to that!

TheChosenOne
3rd Oct 2009, 03:36

You are missing out alot from the atmosphere ... ALOT. Looks way better with physix enabled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luSAnouAFJs

cyborg34572
3rd Oct 2009, 06:36
"ALOT. Looks way better with physix enabled"

i disagreee.
flying papers, falling bricks, breaking cobwebs, etc. Does not make my game alot different to how it is with physx off. ive played it with physx and with no physx, two monitors side by side, and there isnt alot of difference, u barely even notice physx most the time.

idk thats my opinion on things.