PDA

View Full Version : Riddler's Riddles... aren't very good...

Zagadka
1st Oct 2009, 08:02
Potential minor spoiler (not to the main story, but riddle answers)

OK, about half of the Riddles make sense. Ones like "What does a Bird need in the rain" (paraphrased) are OK, but ones like, "What time is tea time in Wonderland"...

I'm not a big comic book fan, so I don't know the whole list of Batman's foes. But I spent a good amount of time scrounging for any clues to Wonderland, tea, time, etc. The answer wasn't thematic, and didn't even have anything to do with the map it is on. I finally got lucky randomly investigating areas until I found hte partial block and zoned in on... the tea set... in the plants... on the side... unlocking the Mad Hatter. WTF? That isn't a riddle. It doesn't have a logical solution to a puzzle.

bartekb8
1st Oct 2009, 08:54
The riddles in game are picture related. If You found in any location thing that looks strange and just doesn't fit that means it is one of the riddle(in 99%). You can solve most of the riddles that way(even not knowing them before).
The one with the tea is also that type. It could be sth with clock or a tea, and a cups of tea were chosen. It's simple and quite logical if you take picture-related point of view;)

thebatman226
1st Oct 2009, 09:12
Potential minor spoiler (not to the main story, but riddle answers)

OK, about half of the Riddles make sense. Ones like "What does a Bird need in the rain" (paraphrased) are OK, but ones like, "What time is tea time in Wonderland"...

I'm not a big comic book fan, so I don't know the whole list of Batman's foes. But I spent a good amount of time scrounging for any clues to Wonderland, tea, time, etc. The answer wasn't thematic, and didn't even have anything to do with the map it is on. I finally got lucky randomly investigating areas until I found hte partial block and zoned in on... the tea set... in the plants... on the side... unlocking the Mad Hatter. WTF? That isn't a riddle. It doesn't have a logical solution to a puzzle.

Yeah, that one was kinda horrible :/

ann0x
1st Oct 2009, 10:05
erm, wasn't this kinda easy?
tea-time, wonderland -> mad hatter
search for anything related to him... oh wait there is a tea set in plain view in the middle of some flowers, you wouldn't even have to think of the hatter, "tea" in the riddle - a tea set in a place where it clearly doesn't belong.
you're right, it's not the answer to any question, but then again most of the riddles are no "question", you rather have to think "what in this room does he mean by that".

Kevin =]
2nd Oct 2009, 03:35
erm, wasn't this kinda easy?
tea-time, wonderland -> mad hatter
search for anything related to him... oh wait there is a tea set in plain view in the middle of some flowers, you wouldn't even have to think of the hatter, "tea" in the riddle - a tea set in a place where it clearly doesn't belong.
you're right, it's not the answer to any question, but then again most of the riddles are no "question", you rather have to think "what in this room does he mean by that".

he says he doesnt know the whole list of batman's foes, meaning he doesnt know who the mad hatter was until he solved the riddle.

Zagadka
2nd Oct 2009, 04:11
Right, and even then, it isn't a riddle, it is just searching for an item.

ann0x
2nd Oct 2009, 09:48
;1195341']he says he doesnt know the whole list of batman's foes, meaning he doesnt know who the mad hatter was until he solved the riddle.

i noticed, that's why i wrote: "you wouldn't even have to think of the hatter, "tea" in the riddle - a tea set in a place where it clearly doesn't belong"

@zagadka: i agreed with you on that, if you read the 2nd half of my post^^
nearly all of this game's riddles are no riddles in the sense of "question and answer"

could have been made better, but i don't mind

NoobsDeSroobs
2nd Oct 2009, 15:11
Just use Detective Mode, and you will find them all anyways.

The_Hylden
2nd Oct 2009, 15:22
I agree they could have been made better, as in more brain teasers and not scan for something very remotely related to the words in the question/statement, or just scan the place in general:p They're not hard riddles, nor riddles mostly at all, but in a way I am glad, because it means that, besides still being time-consuming to find, you can have Batman find all of this stuff as the greatest detective would and complete that part of the story.

Perhaps they could have included riddles that were real riddles and brain teasers beyond what's needed for the story, for those that wish to actually test their minds, lol

That particular riddle, though, I did have a time with only because I seemed to have never gone back there on the middle section to search, and I was looking for clocks, or something to indicate time, rather than a tea set already laid out. I was trying to solve the riddle, "What time is tea time in Wonderland?"

And you don't have to know Mad Hatter is a part of Batman to even make a guess on the answer, btw. Wonderland isn't created by Batman's universe. It's from Alice and Wonderland:p So is The Mad Hatter, so is his tea party in Wonderland, with the White Rabbit, etc. Right? Read it / heard of it? I hope? lol, you'd be surprised that people in this day and age might not...

TheOracle
2nd Oct 2009, 15:57
I felt that the writing for some of the characters(Joker, Harley) was really good, and for others it was pretty bad. Chalk it up to the writers just not having as good a grasp on the Riddler as they did on Joker. Maybe they didn't have time to come up with some really good riddles, or maybe they just didn't have a really good grasp on exactly what makes the Riddler tick. Personally I never felt like I was 'intellectually challenged' when trying to solve the riddles. The Riddler is all about brain tearing word games and double meanings of people places and things.

In my opinion the best incarnation of the Riddler is still the one from the Animated Series. The Joker challenges Batman's mental and physical endurance, but the Riddler challenges his detective skills and his intelligence.

The_Hylden
2nd Oct 2009, 16:11
Well, Paul Dini is the major writer of The Animated Series. I just looked and he only co-wrote for one of the episodes Riddler was in, but I am kind of sure he was a major influence throughout the series even on episodes he wasn't listed as writer on. I don't think the characterization was off, simply that the riddles weren't the stuff of The Riddler. However, he's really only an added bonus to the story, not a full being that's challenging Batman, or else he doesn't progress. Perhaps in the next game, were there to be one, he'll be more of a threat. If you listen to the interview tapes, though, that's pretty much awesome stuff on The Riddler. The doctor treats him like this really, really annoying guy she is forced to listen to, who's just this posturing, sick braggart, and he really gets her by the end of the tapes. ;)

greenstuff_gav
2nd Oct 2009, 16:53
i didn't even know batman had a foe based off've the Mad Hatter ... i thought of Lewis Carrol's book when that riddle came up :)
(well, actually i thought of American McGee's Alice first.. but then the book :lol: )