PDA

View Full Version : Games that stand next to Lara?

Ants_27_
29th Sep 2009, 19:40
Do you have a franchise that stands along side the Tomb Raider franchise? Do you have a character or characters that you love as dearly as Lady Lara herself?

Considering this is a TR forum, then I can probably guess the average answer but surely TR isn't the only franchise, nor is Lara the only character you love (well, it could be I suppose:thumb:).

I don't just mean this generation, nor the 3D one for that matter (just because it is 3D doesn't mean it is better:rolleyes:)

Anyway, here goes:

Mine will have to be Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - released 30th September 1996

Plus they remade it:eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89mNfITo-DA (Good old point and click)

I know it's not strictly TR related but I just wanted to see what other franchises you loved dearly.I'm not sure if it's been asked before (probably has) but the search thing isn't working properly!:mad2:

tombraidergal
29th Sep 2009, 20:01
i used to play spyro... i loed that... i used to play crash bandicute too... i don't know what else... oh yeah. rachet and clank. there'll have been others but i can't remember, man... i have a killer head ache. :(

Ants_27_
29th Sep 2009, 20:08
i used to play spyro... i loed that... i used to play crash bandicute too... i don't know what else... oh yeah. rachet and clank. there'll have been others but i can't remember, man... i have a killer head ache. :(

Because your thinking of old games:p

I remember Spyro too:cool:

lilhanhan
29th Sep 2009, 20:14
Oh, I've got quite a lot to list but here goes nothing. I also love Resident Evil, Pandemonium, Kingdom Hearts, Gauntlet Legends, Spyro, Crash, Soul Calibur, Mirror's Edge, Bubble Bobble, Sonic...

Actually, I think I should stop it there. My point is that even though I love Lara, I've grown up playing a lot of videogames which also share a great place in my heart. I'm guessing that someone may say that I'm not a "true fan" of TR (I've noticed that someone said something along those lines when a few of us said that we actually like Uncharted) but I don't care, I just like variety. :D

Also this thread is quite similar to the new Top 5 videogames list in the community chat section; but to be honest it's quite different at the same time.

Finally, I've only ever played the demo of Broken Sword mostly due to the fact that I could never find the full game anywhere. I may actually buy the DS version, well if I can find it. ^.^;

Bampire
29th Sep 2009, 20:35
Bloodrayne is one other character I love, but nothing near as much as Lara herself. Guild Wars is a game I adore playing and there isn't 1 character that I prefer over all, since it's an MMO and there's multiple characters including my own.

Ants_27_
29th Sep 2009, 20:40
Finally, I've only ever played the demo of Broken Sword mostly due to the fact that I could never find the full game anywhere. I may actually buy the DS version, well if I can find it. ^.^;

You should, it's the same story-line as the original but there's a new storyline that doesn't alter the original, make sense?:scratch::cool:

But their are more games I love besides Broken Sword (just didn't wanna list 'em all either:p):
things like MGS, Resident Evil being the major two (I just remember the PS1 versions). But I do love Uncharted too (I just love the cinematic side of games, that is what MGS pulls off brilliantly and so does uncharted)

Didn't realise there was another thread, but I doubt people will mind:p

lilhanhan
29th Sep 2009, 20:49
So the "new" Broken Sword is just like a director's cut, correct? So I'm guessing it's like how DVD's include extra scenes which don't really effect the main story?

I adore the original 3 Resident Evil's just because of the overall plot...and everybody loves the B-movie style acting from the first game. ^.~

I too love games which pull off great stories; they seem to make you more involved and allow you to really care about the characters. Personally think this is missing from the latest TRs but I guess this opinion is more suitable for another thread. ^.^;

nikkinickels
29th Sep 2009, 20:57
omg, spyro, i love him, i got eternal night, that game was pretty cool but i missed the old classic spyro with the big fat gems, and money bags, but the new one has pretty bada** moves and powers :} i had the old games till they got stolen :[ except for the few i have left. same with crash bandicoot, leon s kennedy of course :D brings back so many good memories, i can't think of any other games but i know there's one more D:

pinpal
29th Sep 2009, 22:57
Bloodrayne, were's bloodrayne3.
Resident Evil (Ada Wong, Jill Valentine;))
And now WET( Rubi Malone)

jayjay119
29th Sep 2009, 23:38
Hmm good thread.

I dunno I sorta feel other for characters and franchises as much as Lara, Largely the ones I grew up with such as;

Solid Snake: MGS
Sonic
Sonya Blade: Mortal Kombat
Nina Williams: Tekken

I really like Resident Evil as much as TR too but as there are always different protagonists its hard to pick a favourite! I think i'd have to go for Leon S. Kennedy or Jill Valentine though!

Max 28
30th Sep 2009, 00:49
Hmm, I have grown up enjoying my fair share of games, but no other franchise has ever caught me like TR did. Kingdom Hearts would have to come as my next favourite series, with a main hero. But Lara Croft I think is the biggest character of a game that I love. I could have something to do with the series being around for so long, but TR is the only one that has held my interest through the years.

Crash Bandicoot was my first game series, but that hasn't kept it's charm with the new games. I think they lost it when the left the PS1. Spyro is the same as Crash.

The only other game I've really continued to buy in the series is the GB and DS Pokemon games and The Sims PC games. They don't have a leading character and aren't a franchise with a story like TR so there isn't really any other franchise than TR that I hold so close.

Pulse
30th Sep 2009, 03:38
Mirror's Edge, mario, Metroid, Zelda, Numerous other Nintendo franchises............

Crash from his old days brings me so much joy, but these more recent games are terrible. That's the kind of series that needs to go back to its roots.

LOSpyro hasbetter stories than the old spyro games and i did enjoy Dawn of the Dragon.

hmm...... what else.....

Left 4 Dead, Portal (OMG bought last weekend and I love it :D)

I'm sure Halo and stuff, but haven't played those.... and though i hate to say it.... Uncharted (which I did not like at all, but it looks like everyone thinks it can stand up to TR)

FFXIII looks like it will be able to make me fall in love with it... :D I hate long waits for games :( and since there is going to be so much spoilers before the US release I'm probably not going to be on the comp. so much....

Ants_27_
30th Sep 2009, 06:57
So the "new" Broken Sword is just like a director's cut, correct? So I'm guessing it's like how DVD's include extra scenes which don't really effect the main story?

Well, the whole George and Nico story is the same as the original but instead of it starting with the Cafe blowing up it starts the day before. But it does add a new storyline that Nico follows up on but doesn't tell George. :cool: So it's basically a remake (is that what you'd call it?) that keeps the original story exactly the same, but it adds a new one to the game:scratch:

It felt the same but new at the same time.

FFXIII looks like it will be able to make me fall in love with it...

I've never played a FF game properly (am I the devil?) though I've got Crisis Core for PSP.

Tihocan
30th Sep 2009, 10:23
The Metal Gear series comes close, but there is no gaming phenomenon I love more than Lara Croft

LARALOVERnr1
30th Sep 2009, 13:53
Resident Evil series. once i played it, i couldnt stop! :D

Kameo. Amazing game! :eek:

Halo series(including ODST). Awesome game serie!

Left 4 Dead(i'll sure buy part 2!)

Favorite characters: Chris, Jill, Ada Wong, Masterchief, Kameo, Pummel Weed, Rookie and Dutch. Don't worry Lara, your on the top of my list! :D

http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/76783_pummelweed.jpg
Pummel Weed! :D

Jason Miller
30th Sep 2009, 15:23
I love Heavenly Sword (a pity actually since there wont be any sequel), Uncharted (which in my opinion, is one of the best games visually), God of War, Assassin's Creed, the entire Mario series, and WET.

Ants_27_
30th Sep 2009, 16:27
I love Heavenly Sword (a pity actually since there wont be any sequel), Uncharted (which in my opinion, is one of the best games visually), God of War, Assassin's Creed, the entire Mario series, and WET.

I forgot about Heavenly Sword, the game was short but sweet:cool: As for wet I'm yet to buy (can't decide), though I did play the demo.

d1n0_xD
30th Sep 2009, 21:55
Besides Lara and Tomb Raider, my fav games and characters are: Prince of Persia, Mirror's Edge, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty... :D

JRod108
30th Sep 2009, 22:12
Well, IMO Lara doesn't stand a chance against the awesomeness that was Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. Greatest game ever IMO. Fantastic story line, gameplay was great, combat was fun. It had everything I could have asked for. KotOR is easily my favorite game of all time. Sorry Lara.

I loved Spyro too. I sometimes pop the first one (the best one) in and play for eight hours straight because I can't find my memory cards. It wasn't the first game I ever played (that would be either Scooby Doo, or RoboCop 3... I'm not sure...) but it was the game that made me fall in love with all games. Because of that, the little purple dragon will forever hold a place in my heart. :flowers:

Pulse
30th Sep 2009, 22:47
I've never played a FF game properly (am I the devil?) though I've got Crisis Core for PSP.

I've never been interested in FF. Then there was stuff online about XIII coming to 360 and I looked into that game and was hooked :D but I have to wait til march :mad2:

Ants_27_
1st Oct 2009, 06:21
I've never been interested in FF. Then there was stuff online about XIII coming to 360 and I looked into that game and was hooked :D but I have to wait til march :mad2:

Ah, so I'm not the only one:lol:

MattFini
4th Nov 2009, 23:02
The four Metal Gear Solid games are fantastic.

I'm also a big fan of Castlevania and Resident Evil.

I've loved all the Final Fantasy games with the exception of X and X-2.

And I hate to say it, but Lara has a genuine rival with Nathan Drake these days. Uncharted 2 was better than any Tomb Raider game. But that's okay because that will make Crystal Dynamics really step up their game for the next one.

SLAYER7
4th Nov 2009, 23:47
Wow, am i the only one old enough to still remember ZELDA!

trjunepearl
5th Nov 2009, 00:59
umm well...honestly the only one I can think of is.........

Tomb Raider.

Seriously, that's really it!! I've played SO many other games, but still, none of them have stood up to Tomb Raider for me. Sure, I've definitely enjoyed playing the games, like Mirror's Edge, Assasin's Creed (which I probably would like the most if TR wasn't around) and Portal for example, but at the end of the day I'm a Tomb Raider fan. That's the way it's always been, and that's the way it always will be. :D It's just that Lara is seriously the icon of video games; she's been in everything from old commercials and ads from way back when to the modern day pop culture television sitcoms!

And as far as the rivalry goes, I honestly do not like Uncharted at all....I'm one of those who actually gave it a shot and, after trying it, have the right and reason to call it a Tomb Raider rip off, but worse. This is just my opinion, no offense to any of you who like and/or fully enjoy the game. I guess I'm just a 100% dedicated Lara fan, no matter how much the success is decreasing in the newer games....as I agree with MattFini, CD really needs to step up their game, or else by the time TR9 comes out, they'll be out of business. :hmm: And we DO NOT want that to happen!!!!!!!

And P.S. welcome to the forum, Slayer7 & MattFini. :D

MattFini
5th Nov 2009, 02:33
And P.S. welcome to the forum, Slayer7 & MattFini. :D

Thanks! It's nice to be here. :wave:

As for Uncharted, I really liked the first one, but the second one was just amazing. Probably the most cinematic adventure game I've ever played.

That game is really wowing people, getting great reviews and selling very well.

Whether or not the next Tomb Raider game takes a page from it or not, I don't care. I just want the next TR to really WOW people like Uncharted 2 has been doing.

Ants_27_
5th Nov 2009, 08:14
The four Metal Gear Solid games are fantastic.

I've loved all the Final Fantasy games with the exception of X and X-2.

And I hate to say it, but Lara has a genuine rival with Nathan Drake these days. Uncharted 2 was better than any Tomb Raider game. But that's okay because that will make Crystal Dynamics really step up their game for the next one.

Wow, I forgot about the MGS series that's probably my most favourite franchise, Lara falling in at about 4th or 5th place.

Never really like the FF franchise that must then I've never really played it properly, I'm sure I'll try it one day.

Uncharted 2 was brilliant just like Indiana Jones was, shame about crystal skull:lol:

Anyway, like trjunepearl said, welcome MattFini & Slayer7:cool:

josh1122
5th Nov 2009, 08:50
Wow, I forgot about the MGS series that's probably my most favourite franchise, Lara falling in at about 4th or 5th place.

Never really like the FF franchise that must then I've never really played it properly, I'm sure I'll try it one day.

Uncharted 2 was brilliant just like Indiana Jones was, shame about crystal skull:lol:

Anyway, like trjunepearl said, welcome MattFini & Slayer7:cool:

I disagree that Uncharted 2 was brilliant as Indiana Jones. I feel however neither Lara or Drake can hold a candle to Indy,my personal view.

The games or people I have over Lara are

FF franchise, I just enjoy it more. Whether its the older NES/SNES carnations or FF7-FF11(hated 12). 13 needs to come and 14 Online needs to hurry and get here all ready!

Metal Gear series,while the story telling is some of the most confusing you'll ever come across, I think its done well, personally. My personal favorite is Metal Gear Solid for PS1

Mario, enough said,Mario 2(U.S. version not the real JPN version) and Mario 3

Zelda,again enough said, favorite Zelda games range from, 1. Ocarina Of Time and 2. Link To The Past

those are just the top 4 I have over Lara/TR at the moment. There is more but the others are just cause of merely nostalgia factor

Black_Alchemist
5th Nov 2009, 11:22
don't get me wrong Tomb Raider is a good game, however it isn' the top of my favourites list
my list as follows;

1) Jak and Daxter (first one in the series)
2) Final Fantasy IX
3) Resident Evil (just whole series in general can't wait for the Darkside Chronicles)
4) Tomb Raider
5) Bioshock
6) Rez
7) Zone of the Enders

Ants_27_
5th Nov 2009, 18:13
I disagree that Uncharted 2 was brilliant as Indiana Jones. I feel however neither Lara or Drake can hold a candle to Indy,my personal view.

True, Indy is the best yet I Uncharted reminds me more of Indy than TR does.

josh1122
5th Nov 2009, 18:56
True, Indy is the best yet I Uncharted reminds me more of Indy than TR does.

I'm not sure how that should really matter? Uncharted reminds me of just a cliche hollywood knock off, never once did I think of Indy while playing either game lol

I'd never even put Indy and Drake in the same category with each other

Ants_27_
6th Nov 2009, 07:24
I'm not sure how that should really matter? Uncharted reminds me of just a cliche hollywood knock off, never once did I think of Indy while playing either game lol

I'd never even put Indy and Drake in the same category with each other

True but there were some points in Uncharted 2 that reminded me of the Indy films, well at least gave me the feel of the whole cinematic side of it.:cool:

josh1122
6th Nov 2009, 08:06
True but there were some points in Uncharted 2 that reminded me of the Indy films, well at least gave me the feel of the whole cinematic side of it.:cool:

That's cool, each their own :)

I lost the cinematic feel after they kept using the same action scenes over and over, it just got old to me :(

MattFini
6th Nov 2009, 20:31
I forgot about Agent 47! Hitman Blood Money is easily one of the five best games I've ever played.

donnabright
16th Nov 2009, 02:39
I would have to say Prince of Persia, Primal and FF XI...Primal was a hard puzzle game and it was huge to play in...I loved scree, such a cute little critter. Also POP because of the gymnastic moves, and puzzle solving. FF XI because that is a game that never seems to end. :D..

Ants_27_
16th Nov 2009, 08:48
I've just been playing littleBigPlanet, yes I would marry that level editor but I don't think that is legally allowed.:rasp:

I'm learning how the whole switch things work as I plan to buy the PSP version too.;)

Arthur Pendragon
26th Nov 2009, 22:21
Super sonic racing!!!!! Yeah woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IvanaKC
27th Nov 2009, 12:57
I love Ezio and Altair from Assassin's creed as much as Lara.

They have the same abilities Lara and I suppose I just love 3rd person games.

pinpal
27th Nov 2009, 15:06
Super sonic racing!!!!! Yeah woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lmao: your jokin right. Anyway the new game Bayonetta looks so good, i'm begining to question my loyalty to the tomb raider series. I mean LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqgtpTkCQ3Q Did you see those moves!!! Good Lord I need this game. :eek: Oh yeah Bayonetta looks hot as well. If this game don't get game of the year the world has gone mad.:lol: It comes out on January 5 2010 CAN''T WAIT.!!!!!:thumb:

Jason-Voorhees
27th Nov 2009, 16:35
Chacators

-Jill Valentine
-Claire Redfield
-Ada Wong
-Sun Shang Xiang (dynasty warriors 5)
-Nathan Drake
-Altier (Assassins Creed)
-Ezio (Assassins Creed II)

IvanaKC
27th Nov 2009, 18:04
:lol::lmao: your jokin right. Anyway the new game Bayonetta looks so good, i'm begining to question my loyalty to the tomb raider series. I mean LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqgtpTkCQ3Q Did you see those moves!!! Good Lord I need this game. :eek: Oh yeah Bayonetta looks hot as well. If this game don't get game of the year the world has gone mad.:lol: It comes out on January 5 2010 CAN''T WAIT.!!!!!:thumb:

Yeah..the same is happening to me. I think that I am slightly becoming bigger fan of Ubisoft than Eidos. I mean, I like Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia as much as Tomb Raider. :eek:

Ants_27_
27th Nov 2009, 18:33
Yeah..the same is happening to me. I think that I am slightly becoming bigger fan of Ubisoft than Eidos. I mean, I like Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia as much as Tomb Raider. :eek:

There's nothing wrong with that is there?:D

pinpal
27th Nov 2009, 20:56
There's nothing wrong with that is there?:D

I hope not.:o

IvanaKC
27th Nov 2009, 21:18
I really like TR Underworld, but when I saw AC2, I couldn't help myself. I was sooo drooling when looking at this game.

tombraidergal
27th Nov 2009, 21:40
i think DEAD OR ALIVE are a pretty good game series. as are tekken. :P i dunno about other games really. basically, mysims and wiisports type games are great! LOL.

IvanaKC
28th Nov 2009, 12:07
I think we all agreed: TR is fading, other games are throwing it in shadow. Come on CD, we know you had to conclude that mother story. Now is time for something else. We need more action and more realism.

angelus0901
28th Nov 2009, 13:40
My favorite games:

1) Tomb Raider
2) Batman Arkham Asylum
3) Assassin's Creed (can't wait for II to come on PC)
4) The Chronicles of Ridd-ick : Escape from Butcher Bay (haven't played Dark Athena yet)
5) The Sims 3

MaloneCroft09
28th Nov 2009, 19:48
My favorite game franchises:

1-Tomb Raider:worship:
2-Kingdom Hearts(great memories...:o)
3-WET-(plz let there be a sequel:nut:)
4-Assassins Creed(2 is amazing):eek:
5-Call of Duty
6-Left 4 Dead
7-Bioshock

Ants_27_
29th Nov 2009, 11:17
I don't suppose that anyone bough Assassins Creed 2 yet? I want to but I dunno if it will be as repetative as the first:(

angelus0901
29th Nov 2009, 12:09
Apparently, Assassin's Creed II for PC will be released next year... in February or March I think... can' wait!! ;)

pinpal
29th Nov 2009, 12:42
I don't suppose that anyone bough Assassins Creed 2 yet? I want to but I dunno if it will be as repetative as the first:(

i'll wait till its like 30 bucks then pick it up. Right now the only game i'm interested in is BAYONETTA!.:D

angelus0901
29th Nov 2009, 15:12
I don't know how you can say it is run good or bad. If you have the infrastructure- the stadiums- the passion- the power to organise- I don't understand a lot of all the rest.

I thought for sure it was Lynch who killed his own wife in one of his psychotic moments? (http://wedding.blogofoto.com/all-types-of-wedding-speeches.php)

Please don't spam!!

AdobeArtist
29th Nov 2009, 19:56
Do I even need to mention my fandom of the Tomb Raider series, considering the forum we're on? :p:gamer::worship:

So aside from the obvious, the other series I'm a huge fan of;

* Knights of the Old Republic
* Mass Effect
* Dragon Age Origins (you've seen a pattern here, Bioware makes THE best RPGs ever)
* Prince of Persia (more the SoT trilogy than this new one, upcoming movie looks promising)
* Mirror's Edge
* I've been a long time Batman fan, so Arkham Asylum is a godsend to me
* Forza Motorsport
* Splinter Cell
* RainbowSix
* Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
* Street Fighter (Cammy my favorite fighter)
* Mortal Kombat
* SoulCalibur
* Dead or Alive (Christie, Kasumi, and Ryu being my favorite characters)
* Gears of War
* Halo
* Castlevania (and let me tell you, I can NOT wait for Lords of Shadow)
* TMNT
* Contra
* Ninja Gaiden

Ants_27_
29th Nov 2009, 20:01
Apparently, Assassin's Creed II for PC will be released next year... in February or March I think... can' wait!! ;)

Ah, I thought they'd released it at the same time as they did for the consoles, but I guess developers do it quite a lot: GTA IV, Resi 5. I guess PC does beat anything that the consoles can churn out reall, where modding is concerned.

Anywho, I don't think I'll buy it just yet anyway as I'm tight with money especially when it comes to games... maybe that a good thing!?

I dare say that TR 9 may not be a day one buy... just cause they always come down in price pretty fast now.:lmao: