PDA

View Full Version : Rate and Review: Superman|Batman: Public Enemies!

Ensanguined Walls
29th Sep 2009, 16:54
http://theflickcast.com/wp-content/uploads//SupermanBatmanPublicEnemies_SE.jpg

1 = Lame.
5 = Mediocre.
8 = Great.
10 = OUTRAGEOUS!

My review would be a solid 8/10 for this movie. It had consistently fantastic animation, but I felt that they could have done more to flesh out the storyline. In fact, DC needs to extend the average length of their animated features for more action, characterization, etc. As always, Clancy Brown turned in a stellar vocal performance as the conniving Lex, and Conroy hasn't aged one bit in animation. Disappointingly, they decided to omit the Batman/Superman childhood intro.

angleslam99
29th Sep 2009, 17:11
Great voice work, solid action, not so much of a solid narrative. It was more along the lines of an action scene strung together with a very thin plot. Not to say it was bad by any means but it just felt a bit underwhelming at the end. It definitely revolved around Clark and Bruce's friendship but I felt it could've been more than one big bromantic animated feature starring 2 of DC's biggest heroes.

As stated by Walls, I think DC also needs to extend their animated features to at least a solid hour and a half to flesh out more of the plot, give everyone proper screen time. I mean I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was upset we didn't get to see the Lois/Luthor interview or when Huntress, Nightwing, Supergirl, etc broke into the White House.

Overall it wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything fantastic. A solid 8 works for me too.

Old_BenKenobi
29th Sep 2009, 19:27
Pros:
- Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly, Clancy Brown and Andrea Romano. The first three provide the spectacular voices, but Romano is what brings out the spectacular performances. Props to her and the cast.
- The dialog. The dialog really captured the spirits and characters of Batman, Superman and Lex. Greatly enhanced by the voice acting and direction.
- The huge amount of characters. There are so many appearances here, its insane. I only wish Bane got some more screentime. And was that Hush I saw?

Cons:
- The artwork. I'm probably gonna get flack for this, but whatever. I know they copied the original artist's style for the designs of this to an extent, but I think it just falls flat. They're too muscly, there's too much surface detail. It's distracting when there's so much movement and not every line moves right. I hate the designing of the torsos in particular. I also thought that the lines were flat and didn't seem to flow. Looked overly digital. I definitely prefer the Timm style.
- The length. It's just really short, making it feel like a TV special instead of a movie, which is what I was looking for.

Overall, its great to hear Daly, Brown and Conroy again under Romano's direction, but between the bland art and the short story, I don't really have much incentive to watch it again. I'd rather watch the World's Finest, with better animation music and some Hamill and Sorkin to boot.

vicsage
29th Sep 2009, 20:06
Great voice work, solid action, not so much of a solid narrative. It was more along the lines of an action scene strung together with a very thin plot. Not to say it was bad by any means but it just felt a bit underwhelming at the end. It definitely revolved around Clark and Bruce's friendship but I felt it could've been more than one big bromantic animated feature starring 2 of DC's biggest heroes.

As stated by Walls, I think DC also needs to extend their animated features to at least a solid hour and a half to flesh out more of the plot, give everyone proper screen time. I mean I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was upset we didn't get to see the Lois/Luthor interview or when Huntress, Nightwing, Supergirl, etc broke into the White House.

Overall it wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything fantastic. A solid 8 works for me too.

Agreed.

Solid voice acting. A lot of character appearances (perhaps too many).

This one is slightly better than previous feature attempts (less stupid dialogue, more action) but it still suffers from a flimsy story and unnecessary attempts to be more "adult" (what's with the TV guy at the beginning? That whole scene could have been avoided).

Also, I didn't like Amanda Waller's portrayal. In the JLU show, she was reasonably evil and her own entity. Here, she's just a lackey to Lex Luthor...and a lackey with a conscience.

The story is called Public Enemies, but that hardly seems what the film is all about. The contract on Superman's head seems to be forgetten by the conclusion. And there's only one part where Batman and Superman fight all these notorious villains? It would have been better if they had fought them a few at a time throughout the film (like they were being constantly hunted).

My favorite scene is Superman's fight with Metallo. Though Corbin's line ("Shouldn't have done that. He's the President") was kind of dumb.

I'm very critical of all these new animated films, particularly from DC. The company has some great characters, but sadly, their cartoon movies fail to do them true justice.

They need longer movies with more substance...not little kitschy, action-packed flicks like this that end up being too immature for their own good.

Here's a recommendation, Detective Comics/Warner Bros: Start working on animated movies that tell the origin stories of characters like The Flash, Green Arrow, Dr. Fate, or heck, even Lobo.

Go all out! Don't make it "kiddy" on purpose.

You have the unique opportunity to establish these characters to mainstream audiences and gain some new fans!

Don't squander it!

Drazar
29th Sep 2009, 20:20
7/10

The movie is based off Jeph Loeb's 6 issue comic story that carries the same name. Compared to Long Halloween and Hush, the 6 issues really fall shortly when compared to his previous action stories.

The only good redeeming factors from this movie really is the top notch voice acting and animation. The plot is ridicilously silly. Bruce Timm keeps fanwanking Batman too much and some of the redeeming factors from the comic itself we're removed from the movie.

Sure the movie atleast bothered to explain some of the otherwise plot holes in the comic, but still the 67 minutes just really fall short. I mean even Superman: Doomsday had deeper characters and development then this one.

It's a decent flick but they really need to base off their stories from more praised comics to be honest.

vicsage
29th Sep 2009, 20:31
7/10

The movie is based off Jeph Loeb's 6 issue comic story that carries the same name. Compared to Long Halloween and Hush, the 6 issues really fall shortly when compared to his previous action stories.

The only good redeeming factors from this movie really is the top notch voice acting and animation. The plot is ridicilously silly. Bruce Timm keeps fanwanking Batman too much and some of the redeeming factors from the comic itself we're removed from the movie.

Sure the movie atleast bothered to explain some of the otherwise plot holes in the comic, but still the 67 minutes just really fall short. I mean even Superman: Doomsday had deeper characters and development then this one.

It's a decent flick but they really need to base off their stories from more praised comics to be honest.

Perhaps Knightfall?

Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut.

Wouldn't want them to tarnish that story as well.

Even if they take their stories from more praised comics, they still have to make an effort to actually make it good.

Drazar
29th Sep 2009, 20:35
Check the sneak peak for Justice League: Crisis on 2 Earths. ;) There's a thread for it.

Really i hope DC also makes these films longer. 67 minutes just doesn't cut it outside origin stories. I love Green Lantern: First Flight. It's such an amazing movie in my opinion.

EliteF50
30th Sep 2009, 01:48
Pros:

-Great Animation
-Amazing voice work: Conroy, Daly, and Brown did an amazing job.
-Great storyline
-Batman's bad-assery. Seriously, they made Batman look like the most bad-ass person in the comic world (which he is... besides Spiderman).

Cons:

-Too short
-Waaaaaay too short
-Bane and Freeze should have had bigger parts

Overall: Despite its flaws, I still give it a 10/10.

Old_BenKenobi
30th Sep 2009, 02:17
Perhaps Knightfall?

Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut.

Wouldn't want them to tarnish that story as well.

Even if they take their stories from more praised comics, they still have to make an effort to actually make it good.

I want The Dark Knight Returns.

Basically, a full length version of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZLPwRCjcQ

JackieFiest
30th Sep 2009, 04:13
I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. Apologies to those who had to read it twice.

Okay, I just finished the movie.

A few points...

First of all, I've only been a fan of Batman for a few months, I have never been a Superman fan and this is my first Batman/Superman movie...so if I seem to miss an "obvious" point, forgive it as a newbie mistake. This is just meant to be a few random thoughts.

My first thought is I really enjoyed the banter between Batman and Superman. While I will always prefer the darker Batman, Superman's lighter sense of humor gave Bruce some good material to bounce around. "Now I really do look like a criminal." "It's worked wonders for me."

Initially, I was going to complain about Supergirls boobs. I mean, come on, seriously. Who has 0% body fat and DDD boobs? But, I decided to let it go because I really appreciate the character of Amanda.

Despite the fact that I'm a female media major, I am not the kind to go off on long feminists rants about the way women are portrayed in the media...because I know that men like big boobs and in the comic business, males are 99% of the ones laying money down. I know better than to waste my breath fighting the inevitable. I'm a bit more bothered by the way women who are heavier are portrayed. They are either evil or comic relief. This woman was just very overweight to the point you could even see the umm..."roll" at the back of her neck, and she was good. A hero even who seemed to be desired by Lex Luthor. She wasn't evil or stupid. I don't mind that blond hair, blue eyed perfectly figured women being portrayed they way they always are...as long as the rest of us are not degraded for not being that. I very much appreciated that about this movie.

At 90 years old, I understand why Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. isn't around anymore. But, I sure do miss him. : (

I feel like those who make the point that the story was a bit choppy have a valid argument. I felt there was something lacking.

I recognized Bane and Victor Fries going after Superman, but who was that girl with Fries?

No offense to anyone who may be a fan, but I thought Captain Marvel was kind of a douche bag.

I will close by saying another awesome job by Kevin Conroy. He made me have a crush on Bruce Wayne in the early 90's when B:TAS started airing. Now, it's 2009, I'm 29 and I still have a crush on him.

Drazar
30th Sep 2009, 04:23
Supergirl? No she's Power Girl! :P Basicly a distant cousin of Superman in a really far fetched way if you will. She has always had big D-cups but the fun fact is she was voiced by the Smallville actor Allison Mack.

Power Girl was pretty much a cameo in the comic, but in this movie they gave her a bigger role, probably to make the movie have a female than making it a pure sausage party. Which "fries" lady are you referring? The ninja Batman pretty much one-shotted? She was Lady Sheva.

The thing is the movie didn't really explain why Captain Marvel and Hawkman we're there to stop Batman and Superman, which is really silly because it does make them seem jerks. The Justice Society was getting worried about the two ruining the whole Hero image so they had Hawkman and Marvel stop them. Infact this is the silly thing about the whole comic/movie is that it seems Batman and Superman we're the only ones going after the meteorite and everyone else in the whole wide world was minding their own business. =p

JackieFiest
30th Sep 2009, 04:34
Supergirl? No she's Power Girl! :P Basicly a distant cousin of Superman in a really far fetched way if you will. She has always had big D-cups but the fun fact is she was voiced by the Smallville actor Allison Mack.

Power Girl was pretty much a cameo in the comic, but in this movie they gave her a bigger role, probably to make the movie have a female than making it a pure sausage party.

See, rookie mistake. LOL Sorry.

Which "fries" lady are you referring? The ninja Batman pretty much one-shotted? She was Lady Sheva.

She had two lines in the film. "Yea, that one that's worth a billion bucks." and "You want to play it that way? Okay." She had a snowflake on the front of her outfit.

Batman and Superman we're the only ones going after the meteorite and everyone else in the whole wide world was minding their own business. =p

Yea, I noticed that, too. :confused:

Drazar
30th Sep 2009, 04:56
Ah her! That would be Killer Frost.

ThatGuyHarris
30th Sep 2009, 22:57
I went back and read the six issue storyline this is based off of again before watching the movie and I have to say they did a pretty decent job putting it on screen.

What I missed the most was the inner monologue each hero had in the comics that helped flesh out the complexities of the World's Finest relationship. I loved the fact that they actually fleshed out the brawl after Gorilla Grodd was taken down, as it was only a scant few panels in the comics. I also enjoyed that several key pieces of dialogue were taken right from the pages of Batman/Superman and the voiceover work from the veteran Batman/Superman: TAS actors was fantastic. I didn't miss any of the plot points they decided to omit, like the future Superman brawl in the Batcave or the absence of Green Lantern from Captain Atom's team.

Solid outing, though I wonder why they chose this particular storyline? I'm in agreement that they should attempt to tackle more iconic stories. 8/10 for me. Look forward to more.