PDA

View Full Version : Voices are irrationally quiet

SimeSublime
28th Sep 2009, 14:39
Just installed the game, and I've noticed that although most voices work fine, some are incredibly quiet. At first I was rather confused when subtitles were appearing with no speech, but after turning sfx and music right down, voices right up and cranking my speakers to max, I could just make out the speech. What's odd is that it doesn't effect most voices, only a few. For example, Batman and Joker's conversation in the lift at the beginning. I hear a guard say something along the lines of "why is Batman allowed in here?" at regular volume, and then the rest of the ride is quiet. Subtitles and lip syncing both work perfectly, it's just the voice volume that is acting up. Additionally, I deleted my first game and ran the first section again. The same lines of dialog were quiet both times. I haven't had anything like this happen before in any other games/programs, and I can't find any other posts with the same problem. But if anybody has any suggestions. I'm running v1.1 on the PC(Australian version, if that means anything). I have no idea what my soundcard/driver is. I am running 5.1 speakers, and I've noticed that the game does utilize the rear speakers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm waiting on getting this sorted so I can start the game properly. Thanks.

Muggins
28th Sep 2009, 20:59
Seems like you're not hearing the centre channel where most the sound should be heard for the dialogue; i've seen this myself, but only when I had incorrectly configured my speaker system / PC settings.

You're not connected to your 5.1 kit via optical are you? (many people dont realise its actually impossible to get uncompressed PC game sound 5.1 sound via optical).

Maybe try setting your PC to stereo, then back to 5.1 speaker mode. Double check any settings on any amp etc. Make sure your centre speaker isnt somehow at 0 volume (it happens, cats or whatever :)).

Good luck!

lawsie
29th Sep 2009, 00:49
This tends to happen on a few games for me too, its to do with the number of channels you can run and how many the game is running. Also if your using hardware sound enabled in certain games and your card does not support it, the voices will be really quiet but the rest of the game normal.

Gimpymoo
29th Sep 2009, 12:33
You're not connected to your 5.1 kit via optical are you? (many people dont realise its actually impossible to get uncompressed PC game sound 5.1 sound via optical).

That is not true.

Any sound card with Dolby Live / DTS Connect will allow5.1/7.1 via Optical :)

Op, as allready mentioned, it could be your speaker configuration.

What speakers/soundcard are you using? What version of Windows?

Muggins
29th Sep 2009, 13:18
excellent, i like learning new things :)

I'll have to look out for this functionality in the future; it certaintly did not appear to be common a few years ago. The wiki article seems to have a few useful details for anyont interested (mainly the comment about this being intentionally disabled on many creative cards).

But alas! I shall hijack this thread no further!

SimeSublime
29th Sep 2009, 14:20
I'm running Windows XP, service pack 3 with latest patches. I have Logitech 5.1 speakers running through a usb 5.1 soundcard. I've checked that everything is plugged in correctly. I don't seem able to find any details on the drivers, only the term 'usbaudio'. Interestingly, when I go into control panel -> sounds and audio devices -> speaker settings -> advanced -> speakers it defaults my speaker setup to 7.1. If I change it to 5.1, and exit, then return 10 seconds later, it will return it to 7.1 again.

I gave the game another try from the start today, and found no problems for a couple of hours. Then it randomly reverted to missing voices *sigh*

Nemesis296
29th Sep 2009, 14:23
Interestingly, when I go into control panel -> sounds and audio devices -> speaker settings -> advanced -> speakers it defaults my speaker setup to 7.1. If I change it to 5.1, and exit, then return 10 seconds later, it will return it to 7.1 again.

I gave the game another try from the start today, and found no problems for a couple of hours. Then it randomly reverted to missing voices *sigh*

Lol your computer is possessed! Run!!!! Seriously, I am guessing you are missing voices because of your 5.1 setup on 7.1 configurations. 2 of the speakers aren't "playing" audio like your computer expects. Find a way to get the 5.1 to stick and I bet it will work great :)

orpheusrising
9th Oct 2009, 01:07
I had the exact same problem with my Creative card. For some reason, Windows high-jacked volume control for three of my speakers, and turned them all the way down. Turned up the volume for the speakers in windows----voila', problem solved.

Thanks!

SimeSublime
9th Oct 2009, 03:18
In the end, I uninstalled my soundcard driver. Windows still continues to change my speaker settings to 7.1, but I didn't notice any more problems in the game.