PDA

View Full Version : Crc Errors during install followed by Catastrophic Failure

kruuth
26th Sep 2009, 19:44
I've tried installing from both of my DVD drives but the result is the same. I get a bunch of crc errors, followed by a Catastrophic error. My PC is well within spec and my drives are both defragmented. Is there something that I need to do?

Specs:

XP
Quad Core
2GB Ram
896mb GeForce GTX 275
500gb HD

Smashman
26th Sep 2009, 19:47
You could have a faulty disc?
Perhaps take it back and request a replacement.

kruuth
26th Sep 2009, 19:57
It's not the disk. I checked it and most assuredly that's not the problem. Oh, FWIW, the first error I get is with Textures.tfc.

Tarquin
27th Sep 2009, 02:32
I installed it on my XP System and my Vista Laptop. had to reinstall windows last night on my PC (Which I had 100% progression!!!!) and now it refuses to load. Ive stripped all running software while trying to install, used different drives...

Eidos you need to pickup ur game... literally. You have been entrusted with an epic game.. now make it work.

kruuth
28th Sep 2009, 05:08
I agree. The demo works fine. Why doesn't the install? This is totally unfair, after all the cr*p that we as pc owners had to deal with.

cyborg34572
28th Sep 2009, 07:06
it seems like ur Dvd-rom cannot read the game properly.

yeah you did get 100 percent install.
but it probably only said 100 percent but the truth is . while it was installling it got stuck on 1 file and the progress bar just kept going.
so with files missing u cant play the game.

idk thats my theory on whats going on.

jaywalker2309
28th Sep 2009, 07:38
If you are getting crc errors that means your disc is not installing properly. If the install doesnt successfully install 100% the game will not function. Faulty discs are rare BUT do happen.

Simple way to test a faulty disc (since a human eye cannot see data errors - we can see scratches, but amazingly discs will still work if lightly scratched) - put the disc into your drive.. create a folder on your hard disc, select all the files in the disc from explorer and copy into that folder. Installing and copying, whilst the same function to us ie putting data from point A to B, get treated differently by Windows. Copying the files off successfully means you can install from that folder, if however you do get an error whilst copying he files this will show that it is disc problem and you'll need to get a replacement from the store you bought from.

The installation process is quite a long one and not exactly speedy off of a disc and there a lot of other software that must be installed during it, Live, Physx, DirectX etc.. if these dont get installed then the game may not work.

If you think it DID install 100% okay, try this.. go to the program files\eidos folder. Right click on the batman folder and select properties, and report back the number of files and size of the folder. :)

kruuth
30th Sep 2009, 03:13
I can copy it all over. It's not a problem to do that, it's during the install.

I'm starting to think Eidos dropped the ball here.

TheChosenOne
30th Sep 2009, 03:14
Its not the DVD, sounds you have bad faulty ram. Replace ram problem solved.

kruuth
30th Sep 2009, 03:26
Somehow I doubt it's the ram....

I've managed to install Prototype and Bionic Commando without issue.

TheChosenOne
30th Sep 2009, 03:55
Somehow I doubt it's the ram....

I've managed to install Prototype and Bionic Commando without issue.

Every game is different, but whatever, its your game that doesnt work, not mine.

cyborg34572
30th Sep 2009, 04:23
maybe the disc is indeed faulty and missing some files.
get a replacement and see if that works.

Gimpymoo
30th Sep 2009, 10:24
Can you update your original post so we know what you have done so far to diagnose the issue?

It at least stops us giving advice for you to say "Its not that" or "I know thats not the problem".

CRC errors indicate a problem transfering the data from point A to point B whether you like it or not.

It is either:

Disc Error - How you can say it is not this I will never know unless your omitting something from your original post.
HDD Error
RAM Error
Optical Drive Error

Is your system overclocked?

I cannot think of anything else which would cause a CRC error.

Copy all the files (Inluding any hidden ones) to your HDD then run the installer if you have not allready tried this.

Sagaroth
30th Sep 2009, 16:21
Same for me here, first I downloaded the game to see if it was something I would like, and it was. So about 30 minutes ago I went to the store to buy it legally. But both the downloaded version and my legal bought version give me CRC Errors during install. Ironically I recently bought new RAM and I also tested installing it with my old RAM, but that doesn't solve the problem. So RAM is not the problem. My DVD-drive is quite new too, but I do run an overclocked pc. So I downclocked every component to stock settings and still get the same CRC Errors. I also tried installing on both my system HDD and my data HDD and both give errors.

So here you go, no RAM/overclocking/dvd/hdd/wrong disc faults. I double checked everything and this problem must be related to Eidos. All systems are very different, so that would explain one having problems with it and another not.

Atm I am copying everything to my HDD to see if I can install from there without error's, if that doesn't work I am going to sit back and wait for Eidos to fix it. I will let you know if it worked.

Sagaroth
30th Sep 2009, 17:26
Nope, even when I fully copied the game to my HDD and install from there I am getting the CRC errors. Eidos, please help? I wanna play this awesome game :p

Gimpymoo
1st Oct 2009, 04:09
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=96749

Mmm... Coincidence perhaps?

Sagaroth
1st Oct 2009, 14:52
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=96749

Mmm... Coincidence perhaps?

Whatever it is, I want it fixed. I don't want to brag but I am a bit more professional with personal computers then the average user and I can't fix it which sux.

After this post I am going to my vendor to change to DVD to make sure that is not the problem, if that doesn't work then I am going for a refund and the story of the Dark Knight ends (to) early for me...

Marcus
1st Oct 2009, 15:22
Maybe by downloading pirated versions of this and/or other games, you accidentally infected your computer with something nasty? Have you tried installing the game on a newly formatted/installed system?

Gimpymoo
1st Oct 2009, 15:25
Can you try it on a different computer?

I think there has been a disc duplication issue somewhere.

Nothing to in a flap about. These things happen.

You can allways buy off STEAM. Worked great for me.

Sagaroth
1st Oct 2009, 18:09
I do have Norton 360 which I always thought worked very good, but here's the deal:

I just went to the store and got a new copy which gives the same errors. But when I try to install it on my dad's pc it works like a charm. No errors or any other abnormal behaviour (accept the game won't start because he got a vga card from the stone-age :p). But it installs normally, so back to my pc again and it gives CRC errors..

By now I realise it is something specific on my pc. More tips are very welcome!

Btw, i ran diagnostic tools on my hdd's and they are fine it seems. Also did defragment on both disks and checked for errors (even bad sectors). Nothing bad found. Other dvd's and games install perfectly and got no strange behaviour in windows with any other program. Just seems like my pc doesn't want Batman flapping around on his hard disks.

cyborg34572
1st Oct 2009, 19:12
I do have Norton 360 which I always thought worked very good, but here's the deal:

I just went to the store and got a new copy which gives the same errors. But when I try to install it on my dad's pc it works like a charm. No errors or any other abnormal behaviour (accept the game won't start because he got a vga card from the stone-age :p). But it installs normally, so back to my pc again and it gives CRC errors..

By now I realise it is something specific on my pc. More tips are very welcome!

Btw, i ran diagnostic tools on my hdd's and they are fine it seems. Also did defragment on both disks and checked for errors (even bad sectors). Nothing bad found. Other dvd's and games install perfectly and got no strange behaviour in windows with any other program. Just seems like my pc doesn't want Batman flapping around on his hard disks.

u say it installs in ur dads pc fine?
how about install it in his pc and completly copy the whole batman folder into your computer

u can burn the files into dvd's

u can store it in a usb stick and tranfser it to your pc

or ur can connect ur dads pc and ur pc via lan and transfer the whole folder.

idk if it would work that way
cause the registry files would not be in ur pc.
but i really dont think those things are even needed.notsure.

but its worth a try.

Sagaroth
1st Oct 2009, 19:53
u say it installs in ur dads pc fine?
how about install it in his pc and completly copy the whole batman folder into your computer

u can burn the files into dvd's

u can store it in a usb stick and tranfser it to your pc

or ur can connect ur dads pc and ur pc via lan and transfer the whole folder.

idk if it would work that way
cause the registry files would not be in ur pc.
but i really dont think those things are even needed.notsure.

but its worth a try.

Good idea mate, but I've tried that already. It makes no difference, install works perfectly on my dad's pc and give errors on mine. Doesn't matter if I copy the dvd to my hdd directly, or use an usb stick and copy the dvd to usb on my dad's pc; and indeed transferring the folder via lan is something i didnt try and also dont think will work, cause batman installs some applications with it. Even if I would download them seperatly I still have my doubts if Batman will run when the register is not updated.

I have totally ran out of ideas.

And to make it worse, 5 days ago I played batman with my downloaded version and it worked. Untill I started getting runtime errors (which also seems common for more people with batman pc) after that I couldnt even reinstall anymore due to crc errors.

Kinda frustrating that my dad's wooden box is able to install and my high-end gaming system is not...

Edit: Check this picture for a look at the error: http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/517/crcerror.jpg

Sagaroth
1st Oct 2009, 20:33
I fixed the problem!!

Gonna make a new topic for people that have same problems for easy lookup, my solution:

Step 1: Copy all the contents of your batman DVD to the map you want to install it in.

Step 2: Start installation from DVD and install in the map where you copied the entire DVD data into.

POOF no more CRC Errors or Catastrophic stops!

Damn im good ;)

cyborg34572
1st Oct 2009, 20:45
thats good news man.
good job on fixing that crc error :thumb:

Gimpymoo
2nd Oct 2009, 02:45
Good stuff.

What is the model of your optical drive?

Sagaroth
2nd Oct 2009, 14:59
Good stuff.

What is the model of your optical drive?

LG with "supermulti" "securdisc" "lightscribe" technologies :)

Btw, gotta luv batman ^^

kruuth
4th Oct 2009, 02:24
Can you elaborate a little more? I am still getting the textures error.

Sagaroth
10th Oct 2009, 13:37
Well, maybe it was a lucky install, haven't tried a second time now it is finally working. But all I did is copy the dvd to the install map then install the game in the same map with the copied content, in my case:

-open dvd drive folder, select all files on your Batman dvd and copy them to your folder (for me it is: D:\Games\Batman Arkham Asylum)

Once that is done,

-use the autorun function of your Batman dvd and install the game like you would install any other game to the map in which you previously copied the entire dvd (for me it is: D:\Games\Batman Arkham Asylum)
In my case the installation gave no more errors once I copied the entire Batman dvd to the folder I use for the normal installation.

Good luck with it mate, hope you get it working cause the game is great!

Beren
21st Oct 2009, 04:15
Well, maybe it was a lucky install, haven't tried a second time now it is finally working. But all I did is copy the dvd to the install map then install the game in the same map with the copied content, in my case:

-open dvd drive folder, select all files on your Batman dvd and copy them to your folder (for me it is: D:\Games\Batman Arkham Asylum)

Once that is done,

-use the autorun function of your Batman dvd and install the game like you would install any other game to the map in which you previously copied the entire dvd (for me it is: D:\Games\Batman Arkham Asylum)
In my case the installation gave no more errors once I copied the entire Batman dvd to the folder I use for the normal installation.

Good luck with it mate, hope you get it working cause the game is great!

I have had the exact same problem, CRC errors. Then finally on the 4th attempt (I also noticed that it was different files that were mentioned on each install) I hit the ignore button. Hit ignore 4 times during the install. Then had to figure out STUPID Windows LIVE. Finally start the game, crashes. Install patch 1.1. Now the intro is finally working! Yay! But the game still crashes, after the first fight and entering the hallways towards the next 2 thugs, before Zsasz. So I thought I'd try the advice mentioned above.

Uninstall the Batman game but it didn't delete the folder. So I manually deleted the folder. Copy the DVD over to the HDD but I created the same name folder in the same spot.

After that, I go to autorun but the launcher doesn't give me the option to install (not selectable), only to play the game. And of course it can't find the file. Help?

Beren
21st Oct 2009, 05:03
So with some further browsing I figured out I have to delete manually the registries. Done.

So now the DVD has been manually copied to the HDD. Then I was able to use autorun and install from the DVD. However, STILL got CRCs. Noticed that like the previous install, there were 4 error msgs in total. Also saw, that the first two were of maps, the third was PACKAGE. All 3 different files from the previous install. The 4th was in both cases a MOVIE and it was the same one, Joker and Harly Quinn start a riot.bik.

Installed patch 1.1 and will now attempt to start the game. But again have CRCs. MAN!!!!

Also, now the folder is 15 GB instead of 8... ?? The autorun installed all files next to the manually copied files?

Beren
21st Oct 2009, 05:22
What a frustrating experience this has been... game crashes now regularly at the beginning of the second auto-save, after the first thug-fight. Uggghhhhh. It's 1.20am and I have to get up at 8am.

$#@%CKKKK!!

And why does it take forever to sign into STUPID Windows Live in the game??!!

Beren
21st Oct 2009, 06:14
So it's 2.10am now... unistalled the game, this time it also wiped the registry on its own. Deleted the copied files from the DVD. Copied again all files from DVD manually to folder on HDD. This time used the autorun from the folder, not the DVD. Started installing, then at around 10% Catastophic Failure.

Good f#$%king grief.

May just wait to install Win7 and see if that works. Did I mention Windows Live seems so utterly unnecessary?

Marcus
21st Oct 2009, 09:42
Is probably better to copy the DVD contents to a folder with a completely different name - eg C:\TemporaryBatmanDvdBackupCopyFolderThing\

Then double click the autorun file in that folder. Make sure that you don't have any other processes running while you're installing, especially stuff that might suddenly start accessing the hard drive (for instance office software, or an antivirus).

Also, before you start, make sure that the Games\BatmanBlahBlah folder (or wherever you plan to install to) is completely empty - you don't want pre-existing files preventing newer files being copied over.

Try this:
1. Uninstall Batman
2. Use a registry cleaner to make sure there's no trace of Batman on the system
3. Delete the Batman game directory from your hard drive
4. Reboot
5. Deactivate any unnecessary programs (antivirus etc)
6. Make sure you have lots of space on your drive
7. Create a temporary directory on your hard drive and copy the entire contents of the DVD to that folder
8. Double click the autrorun file in that temp folder

roppFTW
8th Mar 2010, 22:44
Has anyone else got his solution to work? None of the tips offered have worked so far. Got a new disk, copied to a directory on the HDD and tried to install to that same directory, copied to hdd and installed to another directory... Nothing has worked. The weirdest part is that it's different files each time it goes through.

wolverine8849
18th Aug 2010, 15:25
I fixed the problem!!

Gonna make a new topic for people that have same problems for easy lookup, my solution:

Step 1: Copy all the contents of your batman DVD to the map you want to install it in.

Step 2: Start installation from DVD and install in the map where you copied the entire DVD data into.

POOF no more CRC Errors or Catastrophic stops!

Damn im good ;)

Hey tried the above instructions but no luck. Could anyone help me on this issue ?

wolverine8849
6th Sep 2010, 07:43
CRC error means Cyclic Redundance Check error. The term CRC is associated with your system harddrive. You get this error message because the issue is associated with the system harddrive. The only solution to fix it is to copy the contents of the cd-rom into your friends, dad's system or on a new harddrive, extract it. Now copy the extracted file to you're system and the run the autorun file.

This should fix the problem.

If you guys find a solution, please let me know.

Abram730
19th Jan 2011, 03:45
Can you update your original post so we know what you have done so far to diagnose the issue?

It at least stops us giving advice for you to say "Its not that" or "I know thats not the problem".

CRC errors indicate a problem transfering the data from point A to point B whether you like it or not.

It is either:

Disc Error - How you can say it is not this I will never know unless your omitting something from your original post.
HDD Error
RAM Error
Optical Drive Error

Is your system overclocked?

I cannot think of anything else which would cause a CRC error.

Copy all the files (Inluding any hidden ones) to your HDD then run the installer if you have not allready tried this.

It can also be poor grounding(outlet or having those red washer on mobo grounding points), short circuit, dying capacitors, high ripple, unstable power levels.... ext

It can be the CPU too.
I had a similar issue on my p5n-d after installing a q9650... Vdrop + Vdroop brought me well below my CPU's VID(1.2875) and I had instability.. I had to raise my voltage to 1.3175 to get a 1.28 vcore after drop. It still droops to 1.25V but it's stable. I also needed to raise NB and HT a tad to get stable and that's with no overclock. The chipset doesn't like 45nm quads(4 phase power + max drop and droop), but I got it for SLI not OC.

@kruuth
what's the chipset and mobo on the offending pc? What is your VID and current voltages idle/load... Is it or has it been OCed before? Do you have crashes on your system? Any freezes, BSOD's or restarts? Any other oddities? If you have zero other problems it is probable the optical drive.

My issue first showed itself with an inability to install a printer driver(spooler crash). Some games and apps would not start. Followed with DEP issues causing games to freeze. corrupt game install issues(crc) and Steam games were downloading with errors, steam can fix that but games off disk can't do that, unless they have a repair feature in the uninstaller. My memory passed testing and temps were good.

Now I have zero crashes. I still need to get a better PSU.. mine is almost 5 years old and about as stable as a schizophrenic at a surveillance conference(my 12V occt graph looks like the stock market).

!!!Warning!!!
Before changing voltages in bios you need to ensure that your -->temps are good<-- and that you know what your chips can handle temps and volts...
check temps after and if it doesn't solve your problem put them back. Generally absolute max for core 2 65nm is 1.5V 45nm 1.36V T-case 60-70C T-junction 70-100c.. check for Intel's numbers for your specific chip, not what some random person says. Intel only gives a max voltage, Tcase and TJ target... TJ target is the lower of TJ-max or max safe transistor temp from what I understand..
For example The 65nm e6600 is quite the overclocker, but also tempature fragile with a T-case of 60.1c and a TJ target of 70c so a Tcase of 40c and TJ of 50 is running Hot.
My q9650 is 71.4C TCase 100c TJMax

If your temps are high, check for dirt.
Repairing computers the number one causes of such problems was dirt and I mean you could literally peel dirt mats out of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOieSV_Vz2k
A cold lonely vacuum = a hot computer.
A computer is a vacuum if you think about it and even in an immaculate house they need to be cleaned about once a year.

Even a formally stable never over clocked system may need some over volts if it's been cooked or is aging.