PDA

View Full Version : save system question

TitusTroy
26th Sep 2009, 06:23
when I first installed the game it stated that if I do not log into a GFWL account that I would not be able to save my games...does this mean that if I do not create a GFWL account that there would be no saves at all?...zero?...meaning each time I exit the game and re-start it the game would take me all the way back to the very beginning?

or does the game just save less frequently?...I find it hard to believe that without a GFWL account that you get zero save points...there has to be some...otherwise you are telling people to finish the entire game in one sitting without exiting...can anyone enlighten me on the save system if you don't register with GFWL...Thanks

Alan92RTTT
26th Sep 2009, 12:32
You have 6to either create a local or online GFWL.

If you do not you can not save.

If you do not create a online GFWL you can't download content.

If you make a local GFWL account play for a while and then upgrade it to an onoine account you will loose all progress to that point.

If you make and online account and you can't connect you can't play.

I'd suggest making 2 accounts. One local one online.

Play using the local account and switch to the online one just for downloaded content.

ann0x
26th Sep 2009, 13:40
so does that mean i can simply create a 2nd account?
the thing is, i currently have finished the game, but did it with an offline account (think thats "local" in your description? (i play normally with saves but it says im not logged into "Live")), so now i can't download content or whatever you could need live for in the future, maybe patches after 1.1.
is it now possible to create a second new account (on which i ofc dont have my savegame) for "Live", but still keep my old one with my progress, so i can maybe select one of them in the beginning of the game?
if so, could you please tell me how to do it? :)

/edit: because up to now i thought all "offline saves" get deleted or unusable once you make a live-account, read it somewhere here. or is that only if i "upgrade" an offline account, but to have 2 seperate accounts as asked for above is possible?

Alan92RTTT
26th Sep 2009, 13:50
creating the second account seems safe in my experiance.

just hit the [home] key and you can select signout then select create new account. Make the new one an online account and you can down load content. THen signout and go back to your local account.

IN theroy..... it should be fine but given my history with this game and its "save" system you never know. (I'm thinking about starting over for the 3rd time this morning)

ann0x
26th Sep 2009, 16:30
thank you very much, it did work!
having two seperate accounts for on/offline seems to me to be the prefect option :)

just hope they will make it easier to manage/understand in the games to come.

TitusTroy
26th Sep 2009, 22:58
You have 6to either create a local or online GFWL.

If you do not you can not save.

If you do not create a online GFWL you can't download content.

If you make a local GFWL account play for a while and then upgrade it to an onoine account you will loose all progress to that point.

If you make and online account and you can't connect you can't play.

I'd suggest making 2 accounts. One local one online.

Play using the local account and switch to the online one just for downloaded content.

thanks for the explanation...I created an Online account when I first installed the game as I was worried about Saving my progress...that's an excellent tip about creating 2 accounts...I think I'm now going to go and create a separate Offline account

when you refer to using the online account for downloaded content you are referring to the DLC and Online Leaderboard for the Challenge Maps correct?...those are the only 2 things I can think of that requires an online connection...the patches can be installed manually without GFWL

will my Offline account keep track of my Challenge Map scores and update my Leaderboard stats when I login to my GFWL account?

ann0x
27th Sep 2009, 13:53
yep, you basically need your online account for the DLC. Achievements and Leaderboard are things i don't really need at all, but for them you need GFWL too. But i dont think your accounts can interact in any way, so if you want to make your highscores public you will have to do them on your online account.

i got another question:
if i downloaded the 2 maps with my online account, is there now a way to play them on my offline account as well? i mean they must be somewhere on my pc now...

if not, i think i will have to play the game for a second time, now on my online account, to get the upgrades there too, so i can use them on the challenge maps.

i wanted to do that anyways, but rather on the offline one, since the connection to the GFWL server seems to be VERY unstable and i wouldnt like to lose saves if i get disconnected. but because it would be the 2nd playthrough it wouldnt be that bad, as long as my first account is offline and save ;)

TitusTroy
27th Sep 2009, 21:56
But i dont think your accounts can interact in any way, so if you want to make your highscores public you will have to do them on your online account.

thanks...I originally thought that both accounts were linked somehow (online/offline) but they are 2 totally separate/independent accounts...so you pretty much have to play the game once on each account to have all your progress etc saved to that account

I just created a second Offline account and everything works fine but when it was created it never asked me for a password...do Offline accounts not require one?

ann0x
27th Sep 2009, 22:38
no, offline accounts need no password, no nothing, no trouble :)
i guess there is no need for a pw since its only locally on your pc, noone else could access it, in contrast to an online accont on the internet.

i first played on an offline profile where im now done with everything except for challenges, this should be save.
now i play it a second time (ye i like the game, and 2nd time is with physx effects now^^) , but online. there i can experiment with everything, downloadable content, achievements, without having to worry because i have it already on the old one :)
but from what i read here its probably really better to do offline first,and i also experience quite some disconnects.

TitusTroy
28th Sep 2009, 00:53
i first played on an offline profile where im now done with everything except for challenges, this should be save.
now i play it a second time (ye i like the game, and 2nd time is with physx effects now^^) , but online. there i can experiment with everything, downloadable content, achievements, without having to worry because i have it already on the old one :)
but from what i read here its probably really better to do offline first,and i also experience quite some disconnects.

I did the opposite, I played with an Online account first and now I am going back and playing again with an Offline account...you're right that the game is so much fun that playing it over a few times doesn't matter...when you play in Offline Mode can you still play all the Challenge Maps or do you need an online account for that?...or can you play them but it will not save your scores?

so the first time you played the game you did not have the 1.1 PhysX patch installed?

coup
28th Sep 2009, 01:13
Well, this has helped me understand some of the weirdness - I was wondering why I could never get the DLC/leaderboard even though I seemingly had a profile; now I realise I only have an offline one that it's just somehow created.

But to confirm, if I now create a new online profile to get DLC/leaderboard access, is there any way that I can access that content with the progress of my offline account, or will it be completely new?

ann0x
28th Sep 2009, 09:26
@coup: those 2 profiles would be totally seperate, i don't known of a way you could have access to the progress of the other profile.
but its no big deal in my opinion, the only thing is that if you play the additional maps on your online profile you don't have any upgrades unlocked there.
so if you plan on playing the game a second time anyways i would do it on the other profile so you have all upgrades on both.
everything else you can - and i would - play on the offline one just fine (normal challenges that is)

@titustroy: on an offline profile you can play everything except for the "downloadable content" (2 challenge maps sofar). you can play challenges offline without a problem, you can get those bat-medals if you do what is required for them and your highscore gets saved, but only for you locally.
so the only difference is that your score doesnt get uploaded on the online "leaderboard", but you yourself can see it.
but of course, if you started a new game on the offline account you will have to unlock the challenges first by finding the riddler trophies (a lot easier the 2nd time :))
things you unlock like upgrades, gadgets or challenges only count for that single profile.

yea i played without the additional physx effects the 1st time, because it came from amazon with patch 1.0 and i didn't hear of the patch until i was nearly finished. at that point i decided to complete my game first before installing, to avoid any trouble.
reading this forum had made me very suspicious and also i had no access to the game settings because my game thought i hadnt installed it and that would be bad if i wanted to turn physx off (had to reinstall it before patching: "arkham asylum is not installed on your pc" really? -.-)
if i had played online it would have auto patched me, but fortunately i went for offline first which maybe saved me some nerves i think. at one point i tried to upgrade my account to online but it didn't work, probably because the game thought i hadn't installed it (as stated above) - thank god, all my saves would've been gone.

TitusTroy
28th Sep 2009, 10:19
thanks for the info...one more question I have is regarding my online profile...say I reformat my computer (erase my hard drive) and re-install the game again...if I log back into my Online Profile and start a new game will all the Challenges I completed under that profile be listed as complete or do I have to unlock everything again?...and will my high scores still be saved on the server as well?

ann0x
28th Sep 2009, 10:29
i don't know... and i doubt anyone has tried that yet, maybe some official will know.

i guess if you really have to format, the best you can do is to save your complete folder somewhere (external HD, big usb-stick) and most importantly the Eidos/Batman folder in "my documents" (the saves should be kept there). actuallyi don't think you need the game folder as long as you have the folder with the saves from "my documents".
what you could do is deinstall the game, because you do get asked if you want to keep your saves (i can at least confirm that this works with the offline profile, at that point i didn't have online yet). after deinstallation, everything that is still there should be exactely what the game needs to remember your progress. that's what you should store somewhere then.

coup
29th Sep 2009, 00:34
CONFIRMED: I actually created an online account last night, got the DLC, and yep, it's linked directly to that account, so when I went back to my offline account (the one with the progress on it), it wasn't there.

As ann0X said, you can still play the challenges with an offline profile and get the "bat-medal" thingis, but you don't have access to the leaderboard to prove how awesome/crap you are =]

@TitusTroy You'd think leaderboard scores would still be there, since it's uploaded, which *should* mean there'd be some way to connect challenges you've completed, but /shrug

Still feel that this online/offline thing is quite the meh way to do things, and not at all communicated clearly. You'd think they could at least start saving stuff online if you used an online profile.

ann0x
29th Sep 2009, 10:38
agree!

at least they could have told you beforehand what you should not do and make it clear how this system works. could have saved people a lot of trouble, especially those who lost saves.

LIGHTS
20th Oct 2009, 23:37
Can anyone provide me step-by-step instructions on how to make an offline profile so that I can save? I think I have an offline profile, but everytime I run Batman AA, it keeps saying "You have not signed into a profile" and therefore I can't save whatsoever. Help appreciated! "(