PDA

View Full Version : Shadows on Models Shimmer?

Hurin
25th Sep 2009, 18:05
Hi,

Is anyone else noticing glitchy (fuzzy/shimmering) dynamic shadows on models such as the shadow under people's chins or the shadows cast by the guns onto the uniforms of the guards during the opening intro scene?

I just installed Windows 7, forceware 190.62, Batman Arkham, and am running it on GTX 280.

Just wanna know if this is normal before I run around in circles trying to eliminate it. :)

lostsomething
25th Sep 2009, 18:34
It's quite normal, seems to happen with a lot of console ports. I suppose it looks better with a bit of distance to the screen or upscale blur or whatever but when you can see it perfectly it does look kind of cobwebby.

And for some reason my Firefox spellchecker does consider "cobwebby" to be a real word.

Hurin
25th Sep 2009, 18:41
And for some reason my Firefox spellchecker does consider "cobwebby" to be a real word.
LOL!

Thanks!

H

deders
25th Sep 2009, 19:02
Hi,

Is anyone else noticing glitchy (fuzzy/shimmering) dynamic shadows on models such as the shadow under people's chins or the shadows cast by the guns onto the uniforms of the guards during the opening intro scene?

I just installed Windows 7, forceware 190.62, Batman Arkham, and am running it on GTX 280.

Just wanna know if this is normal before I run around in circles trying to eliminate it. :)

Are you talking about ambient occlusion?

capable heart
25th Sep 2009, 19:05
Are you talking about ambient occlusion?

Probably, although Unreal Engine games are known for having gritty looking shadows anyway.

To Hurin: Use your settings launcher and turn off the "Ambient Occlusion" effect. That will probably reduce the "shimmering shadows" effect some.

Hurin
25th Sep 2009, 19:13
I'll give that a try when I get home.

To be clear, these are fuzzy, wobbly (always sorta "moving") shadows formed on character models themselves by their chins, items they're holding, etc. They look like they'd be perfect if they weren't sorta "humming" or otherwise blobbing around slightly (moving when they should not be).

I wish I could describe it better than that. But I'll try the ambient occlusion setting when I'm home form work.

Thanks!

H

deders
25th Sep 2009, 19:17
I'll give that a try when I get home.

To be clear, these are fuzzy, wobbly (always sorta "moving") shadows formed on character models themselves by their chins, items they're holding, etc. They look like they'd be perfect if they weren't sorta "humming" or otherwise blobbing around slightly (moving when they should not be).

I wish I could describe it better than that. But I'll try the ambient occlusion setting when I'm home form work.

Thanks!

H

yeah sounds like Ambient occlusion, good from a distance, slightly suspect close up

lawsie
25th Sep 2009, 22:24
mass effect has the worst 'shimmering shadow effect' that i have seen.

pleomax
26th Sep 2009, 17:36
It's normal, a lot of games have these sort of dynamic shadows that move around a lot.

Also the shimmering that you get on anything that's shiny can look a bit rubbish, sometimes.

I suppose it's all heading towards photo realistic graphics, but just looks a bit rubbish at the moment.