PDA

View Full Version : 'Analysis on Lara Croft & 'Relatable' Heroes' - Gamasutra article

Angry Dog
24th Sep 2009, 10:14
Linky:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25341

Great read.

I would like to see Lara struggle, or even fail, at some stage (like mid-game) and then come back from that (but not too easily). Kind of like how in some RPGs your character loses either some of their powers, or equipment, and you have to get those back. Or, I can think of a few examples of RPGs where the protagonist has an identity crisis mid-way through.

I'm not saying Lara needs to have an in-game identity crisis (enough identity issues from game to game as is), but some sort of emotional crisis (other than a tantrum) could have interesting results.

Flintmelody
24th Sep 2009, 11:16
Linky:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25341

Great read.

I would like to see Lara struggle, or even fail, at some stage (like mid-game) and then come back from that (but not too easily). Kind of like how in some RPGs your character loses either some of their powers, or equipment, and you have to get those back. Or, I can think of a few examples of RPGs where the protagonist has an identity crisis mid-way through.

I'm not saying Lara needs to have an in-game identity crisis (enough identity issues from game to game as is), but some sort of emotional crisis (other than a tantrum) could have interesting results.

Lara failing and coming back from it already has happened - many times.

TR 1/A. Natla's team takes the scion and Lara''s guns. Lara finds them again and gets Natla. TR2 similar thing in Offshore rig and the stunt gone wrong in Nevada in TR3. The whole AOD story is based on Lara being knocked out and so not being able to save Von Croy. I know many will scream control issues but the angry determined Lara of AOD was the most deep and best written character for Lara of any TR by a long way. We need more of that Lara. All the emotion in TRA/TRU was just tantrums as you can it.

As for other things in the article. Lara is supposed to be superhuman. That's part of the fun of playing TR. The article says Lara cares little for her friends which I agree with as the emotion of Lara to Alister's death was poorly written. Compare it with Von Croy's death and you see the difference. I saw Lara really cared in AOD but not TRU. Suppose it may be that I thought the Mother story was really boring and never cared of it's outcome.

Lara is still an incredible character and still really looking forward to going back in her life and seeing a very new side to her.

Tihocan
24th Sep 2009, 11:51
That's a really good article, well thought through. Lara does lack an emotive connection to the player, she's more a 'tool'. And as for superhuman, it does feel that way - particularly due to the lack of real adversary.

I agree, despite the awfulness of the game mechanics, whoever wrote the content for AOD was really bringing us a character. She needs to be strong, but belie an interior that shows at least some compassion for the people she keeps in company. She needs to show happiness when encountering the worlds greatest ancient inventions. She needs to show me, as I play, that she straight up gives a damn about what's going on.

nikkinickels
24th Sep 2009, 20:34
yeah the closest we saw lara show happiness for a tomb was in the begining of legend in Bolivia.

"and she can face off against villainous winged ladies," i laughed when i read that hahaha

Bampire
24th Sep 2009, 22:27
Fantastic article, I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing that. I do hope that the creators will read this person's article and take it into perspective. He's spoken the the truth about what is good and bad about TR:U and about our Lara.

AdobeArtist
26th Sep 2009, 04:31
It's what I've been pushing for all this time. To fully flesh out Lara and humanize her as much as possible - to breath and feel, to possess fallacies, ambitions, desires, inner fears, personal insecurities, hopes and dreams. To have flaws that counter balance her many strengths.

To have the complexity of a full emotional range and depth - anger, hate, love, sorrow, lonliness, joy, frustrations, elation, fear, loathing, pride, satisfaction, contempt, despair, nervousness, anticipation, excitement, disappointment, contentment, wanting, passion... and yes, with that passion, also lust and desire.

To be a well rounded person, who (believe it or not) could actually have interests and other pursuits outside of archaelogy. And I don't care what anybody says, no matter how dedicated one is to their vocation, nobody is that absorbed in it that they can't take a break away from it, or wouldn't want to, every once in a while. That just isn't realistic. No matter how much you love something, it does not literally take up your every waking moment. And no, doing something leisurely and reacreational does not diminish one's dedication to their true craft.

When you mix in all these intricasies, all the positives and negatives, all the facets of the human condition, what you get is a genuinely interesting person that people can actually relate to because she now seems authentic and believable.

Max 28
26th Sep 2009, 08:38
Wow, that was really good. And yeah, it really does hit the issues Lara's character is currently suffering from on the head. The bit about Lara no longer being amazed by the tombs stands out to me as something I've noticed. On top of what adobeARTIST said about Lara being able to enjoy more than raiding, in Underworld she didn't even seem to enjoy it anymore. Alongside the point they make about Lara being too good she just seems to cruise through the game, everything so easy it's a bore. And possibly this emanates through to us the player boringly cruising though the game.