PDA

View Full Version : Superman: Secret Origin DISCUSSION TOPIC

angleslam99
23rd Sep 2009, 22:39
Issue 1 is here, let's discuss!

http://dccomics.com/media/_dccomics/home/12855_700x250.jpg

Information: http://dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=13205

http://i4.endoftheinter.net/i/n/7f0d387b27b184986184f8c8f52a59e4/smso1.gif

Okay so I just finished reading it. So far, so good. I'd have to backtrack a bit to kind of get used to a new comic series featuring the Man of Steel's origins. The pros, it makes Superman feel more human, so if you are doubting the Man of Steel and doubt his ability to relate to any human should start reading this. It just started and it's starting off great.

Pros: Introducing Luthor as someone who comes from a broken family (this is coming from a panel where his father chases him off) and he stumbles upon a piece of krypton. Clark's school life and how he can't really touch or be around people afraid of what his powers can do (setting the school on fire by accident via his laser eyes, breaking a friends arm during football, etc.) And I like how they're starting out with a love story between Clark and Lana, plus we got to see how his suit was made and a brief history of Krypton (from Lara and Jor-El) when Martha shows Clark the rocket he came in from Krypton. Overall it's very simple for new fans to get into.

Cons: Overly simple. I don't have too much to complain about, but it is catering to a new breed of fans definitely.

Next issue will be available October 28, get started with Superman: Secret Origins today!

Old_BenKenobi
23rd Sep 2009, 23:43
Wow, that version of Supes really looks like Chris Reeve. Great looking artwork.

I might actually pick this up. I actually have some money to spend.

angleslam99
23rd Sep 2009, 23:45
Wow, that version of Supes really looks like Chris Reeve. Great looking artwork.

I might actually pick this up. I actually have some money to spend.

He doesn't look like that yet, he's still in his high school days so he's pretty scrawny. But the last panel has him in the suit, it really is an awesome comic. Worth buying.

batfan08
23rd Sep 2009, 23:47
I picked up both the variant and standard covers.Loved every minute of it.Definitely the top book on my pull this week and I can't wait for #2

Drazar
24th Sep 2009, 04:18
How much are they retelling Superman's origin? DC just payed the Superman owners the money so we don't have any worry about losing anything that defines Superman but yeah, im interested what the comic is about. :)

angleslam99
24th Sep 2009, 05:11
How much are they retelling Superman's origin? DC just payed the Superman owners the money so we don't have any worry about losing anything that defines Superman but yeah, im interested what the comic is about. :)

His origins are just glazed over. Basically the comic starts off in Clark's teen years and when he has problems at school (coping with his powers) his "parents" decide to show him who he is by showing him the rocket he landed on earth in. Clark touches it and out pops an image of his father and mother, Jor-El and Lara who tell him that he is their son and that while he is on Earth he will have extraordinary powers because of the yellow sun rays and that he failed to save his people when Krypton was destroyed but wants to live through Clark. Pretty straightforward, nothing has changed.

Drazar
24th Sep 2009, 09:04
Ah sweet! I was worried they would do drastic changes or something. :S Glad to hear Superman is still Super! :thumb:

angleslam99
2nd Oct 2009, 19:57
26 days away until Issue 2!

Sir Legendhead
2nd Oct 2009, 20:29
I liked the last page. "Enjoy it while you can, Mom, because you'll never get me to wear this again". LOL

angleslam99
7th Oct 2009, 22:42
Just a mere 3 weeks away from Issue 2!

X69if5C3i9o

Drazar
7th Oct 2009, 22:50
How important is this secret origin now? It's not trying to change anything majorly or? More like filling in the missing gaps betweens tuff? Also Morrison will be writing Superman next year. <3

butterskenny
7th Oct 2009, 23:01
Superman has a sweet theme song.

Though Superman returns was a horrible movie

angleslam99
7th Oct 2009, 23:01
How important is this secret origin now? It's not trying to change anything majorly or? More like filling in the missing gaps betweens tuff? Also Morrison will be writing Superman next year. <3

I wouldnt say its super important, it just focuses a lot on Clark's teen years and his childhood friendship with Lana, and Lex Luthor

angleslam99
22nd Oct 2009, 18:48
Less than a week away from issue 2!

batfan08
22nd Oct 2009, 21:51
I hope he uses his Superman:The Movie timewarp power and spins the Earth forward to next Wednesday.

The_Hylden
23rd Oct 2009, 18:03
lmao

Sounds like a bit of delving into that Smallville new fan market to me. And that theme is great, made great by John Williams in 1978, way before the crapfest of Superman Returns :p Back when that image up there that looks like Christopher Reeve WAS Superman :thumb:

batfan08
26th Oct 2009, 16:07
Only 2 more days!!!

Drazar
27th Oct 2009, 13:38
Be sure to post details here. :p My budget can't afford this serie, maybe when the GN hits. ;)

http://movies.ign.com/articles/103/1039272p1.html

Abraham might wanna do a Superman movie btw guys. :thumb:

angleslam99
27th Oct 2009, 17:44
For you Drazar, I'll be sure to post details. Also, interesting about Abrams and Superman.

Drazar
27th Oct 2009, 19:14
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2009/10/27/the-modern-re-telling-of-supermans-beginnings-continues-with-secret-origin-2/

Preview is up gentlemen. ;)

batfan08
27th Oct 2009, 20:30
1 day left,then I pick up my variant and regular covers

angleslam99
28th Oct 2009, 07:24
Apparently WB has been talking to Mark Millar about Superman...perhaps a movie deal?

Drazar
28th Oct 2009, 07:33
Apparently WB has been talking to Mark Millar about Superman...perhaps a movie deal?

Source? He was talked like couple of years ago but thats rather older news now. If it's something more up to date i'd love to hear about it really.

angleslam99
28th Oct 2009, 07:53
Source? He was talked like couple of years ago but thats rather older news now. If it's something more up to date i'd love to hear about it really.

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/portals/news/?a=11325

Nothing concrete, but there's something going on.

Drazar
28th Oct 2009, 08:04
This is great news! Millar has done alot for Iron Man already (helping John Favreu with tips and ideas) and him on Superman would be awesomne!

I actually borrowed my Superman: Red Son to a friend and he called it "one of the best comic books ever just like Watchmen". :)

Sir Legendhead
28th Oct 2009, 09:21
I really don't want the guy responsible for Kick-Ass anywhere near Superman. Not fact, just opinion.

Anybody else wonder what Warren Ellis could do with the next Superman film? I could see it working somehow.

Abeja
28th Oct 2009, 18:55
Wasnt Millar rumored to have had a scirpt awhile back about a Superman movie that ends with Superman in the future by himself or something?

I really don't want the guy responsible for Kick-Ass anywhere near Superman. Not fact, just opinion.

Anybody else wonder what Warren Ellis could do with the next Superman film? I could see it working somehow.

I would like to see Superman and the Legion in the future and I think Ellis imagination would definitely fit that.Other movies Id like to see Ellis on are Ghost Rider, Constantine, or Spawn movie.

I like Millar tho over Ellis cause I think he fits Superman more.

angleslam99
28th Oct 2009, 22:33
It's here Super-fans!

https://i2.endoftheinter.net/i/n/d6289f0d3c92bd81664c9af5c686d65a/smso2.gif

So I picked up Superman: Secret Origin Issue 2...

Overall it's a good read. Clark is introduced to the Legion of Superheroes (Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, etc.) and he's also introduced to Brainiac 5. What I liked about this issue was that it sets up the entire Superman universe within one panel. The Legion speak amongst themselves about keeping the future a secret from Kal-El which includes General Zod's return, the death of Lex Luthor, etc. It also explains why Clark wears his suit under his clothes, which is wanting to be ready to fly with his friends at a moments notice. Good issue overall.

Pros: The artwork is fantastic, the storytelling is still simple and gets the point across for any new fans. The entire Superman universe is set up nicely for the next four issues.

Cons: Ends too soon. It definitely has the reader craving more.

I'll get into more detail at a later time.

batfan08
29th Oct 2009, 22:00
I picked up my 2 issues of Secret Origin expecting the same kind of story,Geoff tells so well.My diagnosis:I wasn't disappointed.If someone said this is the Superman origin to end all Superman origins,they wouldn't be lying.Geoff intricately weaves a tale that seems to take elements of Superman's 71 years of history,and turns them all into a vast story that tells,as I said before,the Superman origin to end all Superman origins.Spanning from the comics to Frank's Clark Kent and his stunning resemblance to Christopher Reeve to the influences of TV shows like Smallville.This is what I believe,may be one of DC's premiere titles,along with Geoff's other event Blackest Night,but we'll get to that at another time.

Until then...

Writing:10/10,Johns uses his trademark Character Development to create an interesting,fun story about the world's greatest superhero.

Art:10/10,Gary Frank delivers with his amazingly detailed characters and environments.

Color:10/10,Gary Frank's work comes to life with vibrant colors.

batfan08
2nd Nov 2009, 17:43
Variant cover for #3

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2009/10/smso-cv3-var-copy.jpg

angleslam99
2nd Nov 2009, 19:38
Variant cover for #3

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2009/10/smso-cv3-var-copy.jpg

I love it!

I also love how quickly things are moving along with the story without rushing through storylines and glazing over characters.

Drazar
5th Nov 2009, 09:03
Glad you guys are loving this stuff. :)

Sir Legendhead
5th Nov 2009, 12:18
^ That's issue 3? Huh. Not that I'm complaining, but I'm a little surprised to see them skip that far ahead. I was under the impression that they were going to spend more time on his younger years.

Also, and this might seem a little strange, my favorite scene in issue two is Lex's reference to the guy who invented paper. Most people would think of genius as something grandiose, like the work of Tesla or Einstein. Luthor can look at something mundane like paper and see one of the greatest technological leaps that mankind has ever made. Reminds me of his line in the first Superman movie: "Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe".

I'm really enjoying this title. The only nitpicking I could do would be with the way Lex is illustrated. Looks a little too maniacal, almost like the Joker in some panels. I'd like the art a lot more if his facial expressions were exaggerated a little less. But I can forgive the artist for that seeing as how he draws Superman to look exactly like Christopher Reeve. :)

The_Hylden
5th Nov 2009, 12:50
I actually think that image there is a tab bit creepy. Not the intent, but the final outcome... Just purely from a visual standpoint:p

angleslam99
8th Nov 2009, 06:47
I actually think that image there is a tab bit creepy. Not the intent, but the final outcome... Just purely from a visual standpoint:p

Well yeah, the look on Lois' face doesn't exactly scream "romance" it's screams "I'm gonna get raped"

batfan08
8th Nov 2009, 13:00
It's most likely the first time she has flown.

Old_BenKenobi
8th Nov 2009, 13:32
Well yeah, the look on Lois' face doesn't exactly scream "romance" it's screams "I'm gonna get raped"

Thanks for ruining that picture forever for me. Now it's all I can see. :p

angleslam99
8th Nov 2009, 19:20
It's most likely the first time she has flown.

Yeah I know, but I love poking fun at things

The_Hylden
9th Nov 2009, 07:55
I actually meant the likeness of Christopher Reeve for Superman in the pic, as it's a bit overdone, and cartoony to the point his expression makes the pic look creepy -- to me, anyway. And it's a bit too brightly-colored for evening.

angleslam99
17th Nov 2009, 07:24
So the V for Vendetta director is rumored to be on the shortlist on helming the next Superman flick?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BrentSprecher/news/?a=11939

Old_BenKenobi
17th Nov 2009, 17:58
I wonder if my shop will have the existing issues in stock... The artwork really appeals to me and I've never read a Superman origin story.

angleslam99
18th Nov 2009, 09:49
I wonder if my shop will have the existing issues in stock... The artwork really appeals to me and I've never read a Superman origin story.

Well if you do decide to get into Secret Origin, I would also recommend Birthright.

angleslam99
23rd Nov 2009, 22:53
The day after tomorrow is Issue #3!!!

Drazar
23rd Nov 2009, 22:56
Preview for #3 is up. (http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2009/11/23/secret-origin-3-welcome-to-metropolis-clark/)

angleslam99
24th Nov 2009, 07:43
Preview for #3 is up. (http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2009/11/23/secret-origin-3-welcome-to-metropolis-clark/)

You rock Drazar!

batfan08
24th Nov 2009, 20:47
I cannot wait,Turkey,Black Friday,Blackest Night,and Superman.This is gonna be one helluva weekend.

Old_BenKenobi
24th Nov 2009, 21:30
When I go to the shop tomorrow or Thursday I think I'm gonna look for this as well.

Old_BenKenobi
26th Nov 2009, 02:05
Aw hell. My shop didn't have any back issues. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait for the trade. :(

angleslam99
27th Nov 2009, 02:21
SUPERMAN SECRET ORIGIN ISSUE 3 IS HERE SUPERFANS!

https://i1.endoftheinter.net/i/n/8696623dfcbc304bcbddea255232c190/smso3.gif

Now, this is arguably my favorite issue so far and could be the best issue so far. There are a lot areas and storylines that were opened up. The Daily Planet is in financial trouble, Lex Luthor is the #1 guy in America, Clark just oozes Christopher Reeves' performance from Donner's Superman 1. I like how impromptu it ended with Superman asking himself if it was a mistake to reveal his identity to the people.

Pros: We're introduced to Metallo (indirectly), Luthor, Lois Lane who is awesome as usual, Clark and finally revealing himself to be Superman for the first time in front of everyone. Plus I loved how they paid homage to Superman 1 where Clark catches Lois falling off the building and then catches the falling helicopter afterwards. Very nice. Takes you back when you watched the movie for the first time. Plus the artwork is amazing.

Cons: My main complaint is getting you sucked into the story and then it suddenly ends. I wish it would go on longer, but there's only 3 issues left so I hope they make the next issues count.

Drazar
27th Nov 2009, 07:57
I saw the preview. Is Luthor like helping people out randomly? Is this a new way of making Luthor jealous of Superman who comes and people embrace him over Luthor? Ah heck, i guess i'll order the GN of this story. :D

angleslam99
27th Nov 2009, 09:33
I saw the preview. Is Luthor like helping people out randomly? Is this a new way of making Luthor jealous of Superman who comes and people embrace him over Luthor? Ah heck, i guess i'll order the GN of this story. :D

The thing about Luthor is, is that he only has one line in the entire issue and thats explaining the Metallo and he hands the floor to Professor Vale who demonstrates the suit.

Also conveniently someone was blocking Luthor's face so he's a bit mysterious as of this point in time. The only thing we know right now is that every day he offers to help one person at random, as stated in the preview: the Luthor Lottery.

I'm getting kinda nervous that Luthor won't get enough character development considering there's only 3 issues left. Yeah we knew about him as a kid, and his dreams to become America's top guy, but it just doesn't seem like enough. But it's definitely worth picking up. Issue 4 is so, so far away.

batfan08
27th Nov 2009, 11:51
There's like 3 months til 4 comes out.

angleslam99
6th Jan 2010, 05:34
Isn't issue 4 coming out this month?

batfan08
6th Jan 2010, 22:00
No,it got delayed :(

Drazar
25th Jan 2010, 21:15
Preview is up! Get the comic this week! ;) (http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/01/25/continue-to-explore-supermans-early-days-with-secret-origin-4/)

There you go fellas. I noticed that the preview is added "upside" down so to speak. So can someone explain me this Luthor thing? He's helping out 1 person every day? What is his ultimate motivation? To be loved and cherished? Nicely done i suppose from Johns. :)

angleslam99
25th Jan 2010, 22:27
Preview is up! Get the comic this week! ;) (http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/01/25/continue-to-explore-supermans-early-days-with-secret-origin-4/)

There you go fellas. I noticed that the preview is added "upside" down so to speak. So can someone explain me this Luthor thing? He's helping out 1 person every day? What is his ultimate motivation? To be loved and cherished? Nicely done i suppose from Johns. :)

In issue 3 it's revealed that Lex does that "help 1 person out a day" thing just for the hell of it. A police officer tells Clark it's like the lottery, but other than that there is no clear motivation behind it because it hasn't been revealed yet.

angleslam99
30th Jan 2010, 19:44
After a long wait (and even longer for me since I wasn't able to make it to my local comic shop) it's finally here!

http://i4.fdc1.endoftheinter.net/i/n/3b0773050e2476f1f4536dbf74c50f28/smso4.gif

Okay, it's finally revealed why Lex is doing the whole "charity" thing. The crowd is scanned by Lex Corp scientists and they tell Lex who is a "suitable candidate" and Lex goes with it. It's also brought up from Lois that several of the people Lex "helped out" have gone missing. Interesting so far. Also in a bit of dialog we are introduced to Lois' father, etc.

Anyways, Superman is caught off guard by Lex and is barraged with questions about his humanity. Superman flies off leaving everyone around him curious. He meets with Jimmy who is down on his luck and wants to leave, Superman convinces him to stay and lets Jimmy take a photo of Superman. This sets up the A-team of Lois and Jimmy.

The comic ends with Lex smiling like a mad man as he reads several newspaper headlines question the trust of Superman until he comes across the Daily Planet's "Meet the City's New Savior - SUPERMAN!"

Overall a good comic. Nice references to the Donner movies, and fantastic artwork. The only thing I'm questioning is how it'll end? I mean it's only 6 issues long and we're 2/3 done. Oh well, I'm enjoying it thus far.