PDA

View Full Version : The Poll for who should be the new movie Lara Croft

AdobeArtist
21st Sep 2009, 03:08
Ever since the news of the next Tomb Raider movie being an origin story reboot broke on the interwebz, as well as the subsequent rumor (long since debunked) of Megan Fox taking the role, we here have had much discussion and debate of who should receive the honor of assuming the mantle of our beloved archaelogist and to have the famed dual pistols passed on to.

Quite a few names had been thrown about like Kate Beckinsale and Rhona Mitra. BUT, with the direction of the new movie being pretty much confirmed as an origin story reboot that will call for a younger Lara, that brought about many candidates for that criteria; Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman, Kristen Kruek, Kristin Stewart, Jessica Alba (remember she was brunette in Dark Angel?) and some others.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r242/adobeartist/celebrities/kristin001.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r242/adobeartist/celebrities/kristin008.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r242/adobeartist/celebrities/Scarlett005.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r242/adobeartist/celebrities/Scarlett011.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r242/adobeartist/celebrities/Alba016.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r242/adobeartist/celebrities/Alba017.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r242/adobeartist/celebrities/Alba018.jpg

And as some know, for a good time I was nominating and pulling for Summer Glau from the Sarah Conner Chronicles. She's a good actress, has shown herself in roles of strong kick ass chicks, developed marksmanship skills, and very much hot. She could look and act the part.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r242/adobeartist/celebrities/Summer002.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r242/adobeartist/celebrities/Summer005.jpg

But now, I am just kicking myself. HOW could I have not thought of her sooner I ask myself??? I mean I think THIS would now be the ideal choice. Why?

* she is a highly accomplished actress, has been oscar nominated, I just can't remember if she won, but still being nominated is something

* she is proven for very convincing british accents, has even played british roles that shows she could do the upper class aristocracy that was mostly missing in previous movies

* she is absolutely F***ING GORGEOUS, she is stunning in the most classy way, and would look great in the explorer gear, elegant dresses (something that should be incoprorated in the movies and not as a joke like at the end of TR1), diving suits, catsuits, and swimwear - come one people, it IS as much a trademark of Lara as the exploration outfits :o

So WHO am I talking about? Why ANNE HATHAWAY :) :D

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r242/adobeartist/celebrities/anne014.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r242/adobeartist/celebrities/anne023.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r242/adobeartist/celebrities/anne031.jpg

So why didn't I think of her before? Because like most others here, we were thinking of actresses we've seen in action roles, that could convincingly play the part of strong leading roles of kicking ass and gunplay. Same as why I was nominating Summer Glau. And we haven't seen that with Anne (unless you count Get Smart) who has mostly done sweet girl next door types.

But when you consider, as a part of acting is to become a person you normally aren't. And any actor worth their salt can apply their telents to aquire the traits the role calls for. And like I said, Anne is highly accomplished, her pedigree is more than proven as an actress, and I solidly believe she could do the research to exude the characteristics of Lara - to be strong, adventurous, take charge, ruthless, determined, unyeilding, capable to overcoming cany obstacle, all while adding what we do know her for to incorporate the other aspects of Lara, sexy, witty, charming, cheeky, intelligent, sophisticated, classy, cultured, and knowledgeable - all brought together to make the COMPLETE image of Lara as we gamers and the dedicated fans know to be her.

So what do you guys and gals think? Anne Hathaway as the ideal Lara? Or still maybe one of the other candidates perviously debated?

JRod108
21st Sep 2009, 03:26
I too love Anne Hathaway. She's a very good actress and one of my personal favorites. While I won't say she's ****ing hot, as I'm not a guy, I will say that she's undoubtably beautiful. I think if she researched the role, then she would be able to pull it off. Like you said adobeARTIST, she is a highly skilled actress. While I agree with you on all your points, I think we'll be in the minority here.

AdobeArtist
21st Sep 2009, 04:35
I too love Anne Hathaway. She's a very good actress and one of my personal favorites. While I won't say she's ****ing hot, as I'm not a guy, I will say that she's undoubtably beautiful. I think if she researched the role, then she would be able to pull it off. Like you said adobeARTIST, she is a highly skilled actress. While I agree with you on all your points, I think we'll be in the minority here.

isn't that pretty much saying the same thing? ;) :D

Dusk Knight
21st Sep 2009, 04:51
Well, I'm convinced.
Anne Hathaway gets my vote.

josh1122
21st Sep 2009, 04:55
none that were listed

Max 28
21st Sep 2009, 05:34
Oh wow, of course Anne is perfect! :D She is sooo amazing, beautiful and I could see her really giving Lara's character in the films what she needs.

Juliet
21st Sep 2009, 08:24
I don't want any of them to play Lara! I wish they'd find a new actor, one that looks more like Lara AND knows how to act.
And even though I like Anne I really don't think she's tough enough to pull off a role like this:p
Out of the listed actors I think Jessica Alba is the one who could do this best.

Bampire
21st Sep 2009, 10:03
none that were listed

I agree with you..

None of them look like Lara, and I doubt they could ever pull off her personality, let alone the athletics she can do. Though, that's my opinion.

d1n0_xD
21st Sep 2009, 10:47
I voted for Kristin Kruek...

jayjay119
21st Sep 2009, 11:51
I voted for Glau because she is the only one out of the actresses listed that I have extensively seen in roles so know her acting capabilities, I was a bit dissapointed that there was no 'Lara Croft herself in all her CGI glory' option though:rolleyes:

JRod108
21st Sep 2009, 20:37
isn't that pretty much saying the same thing? ;) :D

Nope. The first one means I would be interested in her. The second means that as a woman (well, a teenager but whatevs), going by a woman's standards in beauty, Anne Hathaway is beautiful. I don't get why some women pick out features in other women that they don't like, just to make themselves feel pretty. If I think a someone of the same sex as I am is pretty/beautiful, then I will say so and not put them down just because I may have inferior feelings of beauty compared to them. ;):D

_Love2Raid_
21st Sep 2009, 20:49
Anne Hathaway!?

LMAO

AdobeArtist
21st Sep 2009, 22:10
I agree with you..

None of them look like Lara, and I doubt they could ever pull off her personality, let alone the athletics she can do. Though, that's my opinion.

I think we'd been over this before in other casting topics. There's no such thing as a perfect replication of an animated character in real human flesh. Yet that doesn't stop us from accepting Halle Berry as Storm, Christian Bale as Batman, Toby Maguire as Spiderman, or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine (all being subjective by viewer of course).

The thing is, most fictional characters that have been around for a while will generally evolve in appearance, attitude, and other characteristics. Just as there's no such thing as "the one perfect person to represent an imaginary persona", also there's no such thing a single unified design for a character. They are often reinterpreted by the different creative teams that handle them at a given time. So there's really no "exact" framework to base a casting call on.

Even Lara has evolved over the years, mostly due to evolution of technology. Her body has remained mostly the same (just more refined and realistic over the years) but her face has seen several permutations. Just look at her features from Anniversary to Underworld.

Instead of trying to go after some immeasurable set of "specifics", you gotta go with someone who seems to match more of a "core foundation" for what has been common with all the iterations of a charcter. Superman is always bold, patriotic, and idealstic. Batman is always cunning, brooding, and a stalker of the shadows.

So where not going for someone to match an "exact" look of Lara (again where no standard for that look exists) we want someone who captures the basic essense of Lara we all recognize - beautiful, british, elegant, poised, athletic. Then when you add the personality traits to it (classy, sophisticated, witty, charming, ruthless, determined, courageous, etc...) the physical features just become accepted as yet another interpretation of Lara Croft.

And the personality itself (as your other point of contention) just comes down to acting. And when the actress is talented enough, that personality can be recreated through research and the raw ability to convey traits of the given character.

And that's the real issue, we shouldn't be too quick to preconceive what any actor can portray. The whole point of acting is to become an entirely different persona than what you are in everyday life. Remember when Tom Cruise was cast as L'estate for Interview with the Vampire? remember the outcry of protests at what a terrible casting call that was? I know I do, because I was one of them, lol. Having read the book and judging by Cruise's past work, I just couldn't picture him being the charming and aristocratic vampire. But then the movie came out and wow, did I ever realize how wrong I was. As everybody else had come to accept. Believe me, there's a lesson to be learned here :)

This is why I say, when it comes to casting for a fictional character, acting talent is far more important than matching to a "look". Because with a skilled enough actor, the personality can be successfully captured, and then all the rest falls into place. In fact its been said before by someone "you can teach an actor to handle a gun and train them in martials arts, but you can't teach a martial artist to act. talent is something you're just born with."

And I wholeheartedly believe that Anne is an actress of such calibur, that she could take on any kind of persona (not just what we're talking about here) and become that new identity completely, not unlike how Heath Ledger disappeared into the identity of the Joker. I would honestly rate her ability in the same league as Jodi Foster and Meryl Streep. So if anyone could accurately get the character work of Lara, it's her.

Guess I should also add, that the script and direction also plays a part in the accuracy of character recreations. Actors all have to read the lines they're given and are sometimes constrained by the directors instruction. I do believe Angeline could have been a more proper Lara if given a better script and directed by someone who knew the source material better.

I actually was going to seguay into why I think a live actor is better than CGI, but damn, this post has gone on for too long (as mine usually DO, lol :o:p ) and I need to get going. But that will be picked up again in my next post down the road :)

Pulse
21st Sep 2009, 22:19
Um..... there's no option for Lara Croft. CGI ftw!

but Anne Hathaway from those listed

nikkinickels
21st Sep 2009, 22:30
Um..... there's no option for Lara Croft. CGI ftw!

amen. just like the CGI clip on the XBOX360 legend video :D

angelus0901
21st Sep 2009, 22:52
Summer Glau definitely!! Other actresses would suck as Lara!!!

EyeShotFirst
22nd Sep 2009, 08:48
This is my first post ever. And I will say flat out. Megan Fox is really too *****y for the role. I would like them to go to England and find the actress the way they find the models. Audition hundreds of beautiful unknown women and find one. I don't want to see another movie like the Jolie ones. I would rather see one that has nothing to do with the first 2.
Hell even the models could play her. Especially the ever hot Karima Adebibe. But really I think it would be more believable if they actually got somebody who can traverse walls and do backflips. The models can do that. It is about time hollywood started preparing people for roles instead of sending in the stunt guy.

Bampire
22nd Sep 2009, 09:28
This is my first post ever. And I will say flat out. Megan Fox is really too *****y for the role. I would like them to go to England and find the actress the way they find the models. Audition hundreds of beautiful unknown women and find one. I don't want to see another movie like the Jolie ones. I would rather see one that has nothing to do with the first 2.
Hell even the models could play her. Especially the ever hot Karima Adebibe. But really I think it would be more believable if they actually got somebody who can traverse walls and do backflips. The models can do that. It is about time hollywood started preparing people for roles instead of sending in the stunt guy.

Welcome to the forum, and I agree with your statement.

dark7angel
22nd Sep 2009, 10:17
For me it's Summer Glau! She's AWESOME and very talented...

I like some of the other actresses listed but I don't think they would be a good match for Lara... like Kristen Kreuk, she's lovely but she has a somewhat asian look (I guess that was why she was picked to be Chun-Li...)
About Anne Hathaway, I'm sorry but I wouldn't take her serious as Lara... Sure, she is a good actress but as Lara... no, sorry!

Pulse
22nd Sep 2009, 22:31
I will burn down the movie studio if Summer Glau or Megan Fox are chosen to play Lara

just sayin

you've been warned

AdobeArtist
23rd Sep 2009, 05:09

Actually, I have to strongly disagree. A model might look the part, but they can't act the part. This goes back to what I said in my last post. You want a good actress (in any role, not just specifically to Lara) with the talent and ability to bring the character work to life with depth and genuine emotional and personality range. This can only be successfully achieved with someone both possessing the innate talent and the years of training to execute it.

I feel I need to emphasize this again; acting talent is the most important thing in making a movie/tv adaptation, far more than the looks. Looks are superficial, but being able to deliver a sincere scene and depict a believable person on screen is what enables the audience to get immersed in the reality being created before them.

And as stated before, you can teach an actor the skills particular to their character (marksmanship, archery, martial arts, horseback riding, etc...) but talent is something one can only be born with.

=====================================

So moving on, I said I was going to offer my take on CG animation to live performance. And before anybody gets the wrong idea; I LOVE CG animation productions. Yeah, I really do. I enjoyed Final Fantasy Advent Children, Resident Evil Degeneration, and Beowulf. I have the greatest appreciation of its uniqueness as an art form.

But what I have always loved about live action adaptations of comics and cartoons I grew up with, was that sense of those works of fiction being brought to life. To see them in a new light as being suddenly more “real” than when done in 4 color.

I'll agree too, that CG has made great strides in the last 10 years. It has approached new heights of realism, but lets be honest here. When it comes to CG, the use of the word “realism” is more a figure of speech than an actuality. It still isn't as real as... well a real person performing right before the camera.

But even more importantly than the visual look of CG's realism, is how it holds up to an actors performance. Again going back to what I said about the importance of the performance, while animation has come a long way, I can still say it doesn't fully match what an actor can do live. There's those subtle qualities and nuances in facial gestures and expressiveness that the truly talented actor can employ to easily convey the emotional context of the scene, which animation still doesn't fully emulate. Overall, everything still seems just too artificial then what you get with real people.

While it can be argued that an animated Lara would “look” accurate, it wouldn't necessarily be convincing of a real person, which is what any movie story should strive for. Batman is based on a comic book, and they could have gone the animated route for a movie. But would the Joker have been as compelling a character, as imposing a presence, if it was just Heath lending his voice to an artificial face? I think not.

I just strongly feel that its better for a movie to make Lara Croft and her world of legend and myth more real than what the games do. A CG animated movie, which is just taking the same medium, is really a port of a game to the big screen, whereas live action performance is taking the material beyond its original medium, to a new level of reality. Also, that going live action, and especially having a high profile name behind it, makes the movie more accessible to the general movie going audience in addition to the core gamers who are already fans. Lets face it, having a talent like Angelina did wonders for Lara's image and planting her as a household name to so many more people who didn't know of her before.

This all comes from my passion for the games and the character that I know we all share. So I want the best for Lara, the best possible representation in the best production, supported by the best talent (acting, directing, writing), so that she will be endeared to audiences world wide all over again, like when she first entered the scene 13 years ago.

And again, I feel that Anne is the superb choice for bringing Lara to life, who can portray her with a reality and give her characterization the depth, richness of contrast, and complexity that this lady deserves.

josh1122
23rd Sep 2009, 05:29
live action is a horrible idea for future TR movies. Try talking Square Enix into a CG movie like Advent Children, then you have a good idea

another live action film is a terrible idea

AdobeArtist
23rd Sep 2009, 11:27
But why, Josh?

jayjay119
23rd Sep 2009, 12:18
live action is a horrible idea for future TR movies. Try talking Square Enix into a CG movie like Advent Children, then you have a good idea

another live action film is a terrible idea

But why, Josh?

Because the first 2 were duds and nobody will be able to play Lara better than Lara herself, Imagine having a CGI movie, the quality of Resident Evil Degeneration and Lara being voiced by Keeley all the way through it would be brilliant.

Personally since Square Enix did a CGI Final Fantasy movie I hope they do it for TR too. Even if they do make a 3rd live action movie.

dark7angel
23rd Sep 2009, 14:21
Actually, I have to strongly disagree. A model might look the part, but they can't act the part. This goes back to what I said in my last post. You want a good actress (in any role, not just specifically to Lara) with the talent and ability to bring the character work to life with depth and genuine emotional and personality range. This can only be successfully achieved with someone both possessing the innate talent and the years of training to execute it.

I feel I need to emphasize this again; acting talent is the most important thing in making a movie/tv adaptation, far more than the looks. Looks are superficial, but being able to deliver a sincere scene and depict a believable person on screen is what enables the audience to get immersed in the reality being created before them.

And as stated before, you can teach an actor the skills particular to their character (marksmanship, archery, martial arts, horseback riding, etc...) but talent is something one can only be born with.

I agree with you! We need a good/talented actress not a look alike model! And surely not Ms. Fox and Ms. List because neither of them are very talented...
We need a GOOD actress not a pin-up/eye-candy!
So I still say Summer Glau, for me, is the best choice because she can act the part and she has the bonus of already having some action skills. She did all the fighting (or at least most of it) in Serenity and everyone from the crew says that she is just awesome, because she has an amazing flexibility and incredible phisical memory. Just check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1BMqNYOyFU
And most people think of Summer as an action actress but she is much more than just that! She really is a very talented actress. That I have no doubt! Just check her out on Firefly/Serenity and on CSI episode "What's Eating Gilbert Grissom?" (not to mention Terminator)!

jayjay119
23rd Sep 2009, 17:15
There is a really good episode of Terminator where Glau shows how great an actress she is also, its the episode where she no only plays 'Cameron' her terminator self but the emotional Alison Jung who's identity Cameron stole, the two characters were so vast and she plays them both beautifully.

AdobeArtist
23rd Sep 2009, 23:23
Because the first 2 were duds and nobody will be able to play Lara better than Lara herself, Imagine having a CGI movie, the quality of Resident Evil Degeneration and Lara being voiced by Keeley all the way through it would be brilliant.

Personally since Square Enix did a CGI Final Fantasy movie I hope they do it for TR too. Even if they do make a 3rd live action movie.

Joel Schumacker made two godawful Batman movies. Did that mean any endeavor to make a movie of the iconic fictional character was condemned to failure? Christopher Nolan and Heath Ledger getting an Oscar says otherwise.

Now it's like I said in my previous post, it's not that I'm against CG animated movies. But I do stand by my conviction that fully acted movies (not just voice acted, but fully performed on camera) are of a higher quality and calibur. And it's that level of production and performance that I feel Lara deserves.

And yeah, I remember well that Terminator episode where Summer played the human host that was the template for Cameron. She did a terrific job with it. I had myself supported her for the role before struck with the inspiration of Anne Hathaway. So if not Anne, Summer would get my vote of confidence as well :thumb:

josh1122
24th Sep 2009, 01:17
Joel Schumacker made two godawful Batman movies. Did that mean any endeavor to make a movie of the iconic fictional character was condemned to failure? Christopher Nolan and Heath Ledger getting an Oscar says otherwise.

Now it's like I said in my previous post, it's not that I'm against CG animated movies. But I do stand by my conviction that fully acted movies (not just voice acted, but fully performed on camera) are of a higher quality and calibur. And it's that level of production and performance that I feel Lara deserves.

And yeah, I remember well that Terminator episode where Summer played the human host that was the template for Cameron. She did a terrific job with it. I had myself supported her for the role before struck with the inspiration of Anne Hathaway. So if not Anne, Summer would get my vote of confidence as well :thumb:

Ok your opinion is noted. I still stand by mine.

I feel Lara doesn't deserve anymore Live Action films because they tarnished her name more than help, they are abominations of movies that makes Street Fighter the movie look oscar worthy.

So take that as my opinion lol, we will not see eye to eye ever on this subject

EyeShotFirst
28th Sep 2009, 20:56
I am all for seeing Tomb Raider made similar to the Indiana Jones movies. For crying out loud, I started playing Tomb Raider because all of the Indiana Jones games were horrible even the new one. I would like to see Lara Croft be an actual Tomb Raider this time around instead of a Floozy. Why is it that Keeley Hawes can suck you into the story better than Angelina and she is only a voice artist. It would be a whole lot better if we could see an unfamiliar face as Lara. Somebody who nobody knows. I always hate seeing a big hollywood actor play a character I have loved for ever. I am going to puke seeing Keanu Reeves in the Live Action Cowboy Bebop movie. There are thousands of actresses who are well trained and so fresh. It would be a breath of fresh air to get a new face on the big screen. I am getting sick of seeing Jason Statham and Brad Pitt in the Theater. Look at Star Wars, all of the leading actors had never been in much of anything and they were great actors (especially with the horrible dialogue George Lucas wrote). Harrison Ford was a carpenter who had only played minor roles. It is about time in hollywood that we stop with the name in the hat pulling of big time actors with our epic Michael Bay explosions and get back to what is real. And if they do make a Tomb Raider film it had better not be all monochromatic and CGI heavy. As a film editor I am sick to death of all these beautiful films covered in one colour filters.

Sorry to be off topic there but I really want to see a wonderful actress who hasn't been on the big screen play this part. An audience would give her a chance and won't be as biased towards it as if they had another big blockbuster actress. Because a director will do better work if he has someone who isn't pampered with success.

GIVE SOMEBODY NEW A CHANCE!!!!!!!!!

Tihocan
28th Sep 2009, 21:47
Where is the 'Other' option?
Of that selection it would have to be Peyton List, simply because all of the other actresses wither have an iconic image and it would be hard to see Lara in them (and Anne Hathaway just seems too comical for me... though she may do a real good interpretation, I don't know)
Saw Peyton in Flash Forward yesterday, she did a good job of it, despite the small screen time. But preferably someone new.

AdobeArtist
29th Sep 2009, 04:43
There's really little point in putting in an "other" option, as that's so vague. Anybody preferring someone not on the list can (and will :rasp: ) simply voice their opinions on that.

On a side note, I'm really surprised... make that astonished to see how many people voted for Megan Fox in the poll. When that rumor first popped up, she got so much hate, you'd think she was a suspect in a murder trial :rolleyes:

Pulse
30th Sep 2009, 03:22
Who the hell is voting for that untalented ****

EyeShotFirst
1st Oct 2009, 20:52
Actually the more I think about it. Keeley Hawes would be the best Lara Croft

http://img2.allposters.com/images/MMPH/276969.jpg

Seeing as she already does her voice. She is also very fine and I think with the right attire and hair style she could do it perfectly. And she does the voice so perfectly. When hear her voice on TV I stop and think Oh crap Lara Croft.

She is just perfect for the role. She doesn't have to study the character either. And at 33 she would do it better than those 24 year old hacks.

Look at that picture and tell me your face don't look like this :D

Max 28
2nd Oct 2009, 00:27
She does look the part there, with extra styling and the outfit it could look good. But at 33 is that not thinking of a younger Lara? Not meaning to be rude to dear Keeley. :o Actually when I first glanced at that picture I thought she was Zoey Deschanel.

Pulse
2nd Oct 2009, 20:03
Keeley could play Amelia in a flashback imo.........

But idk how young they're thinking for the next movie 24, 22, 19. 17?

Max 28
3rd Oct 2009, 10:21
I thought like 22 maybe. I think that'd be a good origins age.

MissJess
6th Oct 2009, 03:40
No one. No one should play Lara Croft. Then they won't make another movie bahahahahahahaha.

yeah... no I voted for Natalie Portman, though I could never see her as Lara, I just liked her in V for Vendetta.

josh1122
6th Oct 2009, 04:33
There isn't an option for ''none of the above'' :(

Studded*Belt
25th Oct 2009, 03:16
Please no origin movie i beg of you! :'(

surallan
17th Nov 2009, 23:35
I personally would love Rhona Mitra make a comeback. She kicked ass in Doomsday and remember watching it thinking she could still do it.

At 33, she's the same age as Keeley Hawes, so she'll bring some 'maturity' to the role - but she'd be sooo edgey!

MattFini
18th Nov 2009, 01:02
Rhona Mitra is the only actress I have any interest in seeing play Lara Croft.

She should've been Lara in 2001 and she certainly deserves her shot now. Look at Tomb Raider Anniversary and tell me that they weren't using Rhona's face for inspiration there.

surallan
18th Nov 2009, 02:20
Ah Matt, I am sooooo glad someone actually agrees with me about this! :thumb:

You're right, though Angelina Jolie didn't do a terrible job, I was never that keen on her, as I was always disappointed Rhona was completely robbed of the role. She should have had it, no question.

I do believe you could also have something with the Mitra/TR:A similarity. I wonder why she wasn't included on this threads poll?

AdobeArtist
18th Nov 2009, 03:20
I think you guys are missing the point. The next movie is going to be an origin story featuring a younger Lara Croft. And as much as I appreciate the acting talents of Angelina, Kate Beckinsale, and Rhona (Angelina is truly oscar calibur), we gotta face the facts they they're also too old for what this specific role calls for.

My poll is set up for the ideal casting of this origin Lara. Some at first might seem just a tad older than what the concept calls for (like Anne and Scarlett) but that's also the beauty of it. With the right application of makeup they can be made to look younger (I'm guessing the role will be for 17-22) and then later can transition into a more contemporary Lara.

And what's this? Megan Fox, who was practically demonized during the casting announcement almost a year back, that turned into a false rumor - just passed Anne Hathaway and taking the lead? Whouda thunk it? :nut::nut:

MattFini
18th Nov 2009, 13:29
This probably belongs in another thread, but I am completely against an origin story for the next TR movie, despite the fact that's what they're going for.

It's just a pathetic, knee jerk reaction to the Hollywood trend right now. Batman Begins was a critical and financial success, and the studios started to take note. So then we got Casino Royale showing us how Bond came to be. Now, it's out of hand with stuff like G.I. Joe showing Cobra's rise. How silly.

There's no need for us to see exactly how Lara came to be. Look at the James Bond franchise: we didn't need to see Bond's origin back in 1962 with Dr. No. We just got a straight up Bond adventure. There were 40 years of Bond flicks (20 movies) that didn't feel the need to tell his origin. The fact that Tomb Raider's producers feel like this is the only option with Lara is both unoriginal and tired.

And, no offense to the person who created the names on this list but every single name on that list is an absolutely terrible choice. If they're going to cast a young Lara, it's got to be a relative unknown.