PDA

View Full Version : Gamepads

limawhiskey
20th Sep 2009, 09:51
I have a Saitek gamepad (P3600 - cyborg rumble) that doesn't seem to be recognised. I can only see settings for keyboard controls in the launcher.

I know it's not a brand new gamepad but it's fairly recent.

In the gamepad's driver settings all the buttons and rumble work fine.

Any thoughts?

lawsie
20th Sep 2009, 12:59
all i know is that an x-box 360 pad works.

Stuntie
20th Sep 2009, 13:59
So we MUST buy XBOX gampads even if we own perfectly fine gamepads from other companies?

Jayronathon
20th Sep 2009, 16:11
So we MUST buy XBOX gampads even if we own perfectly fine gamepads from other companies?

if its not recognized by the game, then it doesn't constitute as "perfectly fine," because Batman Arkham Asylum is a perfectly fine game

limawhiskey
20th Sep 2009, 23:18
if its not recognized by the game, then it doesn't constitute as "perfectly fine," because Batman Arkham Asylum is a perfectly fine game A "perfectly fine" gamepad is one that works in Windows. It has the same number of perfectly fine, perfectly functional buttons as an xbox pad. It works perfectly fine with other games. Is that perfectly fine enough?

deders
21st Sep 2009, 01:20
A "perfectly fine" gamepad is one that works in Windows. It has the same number of perfectly fine, perfectly functional buttons as an xbox pad. It works perfectly fine with other games. Is that perfectly fine enough?

I agree, any game pad with enough buttons should be perfectly fine, I have a PS2 pad which most older games recognise no problem, why developers insist on only recognising Xbox360 pads i don't know, maybe Microsoft is paying them to do it?

Zagadka
21st Sep 2009, 01:27
The 360 controller works very well.

Remember that controllers have proprietary designs - signals, number and order of buttons, etc.

deders
21st Sep 2009, 01:31

Remember that controllers have proprietary designs - signals, number and order of buttons, etc.

I'm sure it does work well, but then so do many others, windows should be able to translate all the signals into a standard or customised configuration that the game can use, that's how it worked in the past

lawsie
21st Sep 2009, 01:35
might have something to do with all the popup commands that appear, they appear on keyboard and xbox pad but not on others i would guess.

deders
21st Sep 2009, 01:39
might have something to do with all the popup commands that appear, they appear on keyboard and xbox pad but not on others i would guess.

It can be a bit confusing knowing which button is which but it's something that microsoft could easily sort out if they weren't more interested in selling their gamepads by allowing you to change which button is button 1 etc and then just displaying button 1 in game.

carrionghoul
21st Sep 2009, 09:34
I would be happy using my logitech dual action if the damn invert forwards/backwards function worked, which it doesnt. So I am very not happy atm. :mad2:

zaodrze244
21st Sep 2009, 20:33
i have the same problem, my logitech game pad wont work fine so i wont bay this crapy game, this is why i always try a "pirate" version of game before i bay orginal...

Stuntie
21st Sep 2009, 20:42

That kind of rubbish should have gone out with DirectX.

There are now standards for Joysticks and Game Pads.
I have Joystick HOTAS systems from 3 different companies for my flight simming.
Saitek, Thrustmaster and CH Products all working together.
I have used other joysticks, gamepads and even a custom built controller - a doddle given the standardised nature of Joysticks and USB devices.
All use the standard input methods as defined by Direct X input system in use in masses of games, and all work fine.

But Microsoft in their infinite wisdom have created a none compatible second format in XInput for the XBox 360. Which Einstein thought that one up should be sent back to Programming 101.
Was he incapable of coding basic compatability with the existing standard? Or is the XBox system deliberately made incompatible, so you are forced to buy MS XBox branded controllers? (Esp suspicious given the Axis inversions and switches that are evident...)

And even given all that - why is the XBox controller format the one used, rather than the PC orientated DirectX format.
Or why can't both formats be used - Hardware detection is a piece of cake nowadays.

But all this would be irrelevant if they only adopted the PC games general system of assignable controls. Fixed controls are only relevant for consoles where you can't change control setups, or use keyboard and mouse.
If we could assign the controlls we wouldnt care - we would just need to remap the axis.

It all smacks of a shoddy port by developers who failed to capitalise on the benefits of having a PC system over a console.

deders
21st Sep 2009, 20:46
Very well put stuntie

pha
21st Sep 2009, 20:49
I don't have the full version of the game, but the demo was playable with my Logitech Cordless Rumblepad II except for the reverted forward/back thing, and I recall seeing somewhere that it's fixed in the full version.

What's next Rocksteady? Will our Razer/Saitek/Logitech keyboards and mice will be incompatible and you'll make us buy Microsoft?

Sad.

Deva
21st Sep 2009, 20:54
Download 360gamepad Emulator

pha
21st Sep 2009, 20:56
We shouldn't have to.

deders
21st Sep 2009, 20:56
Download 360gamepad Emulator

tried it, just makes the game crash, won't even load.

Deva
21st Sep 2009, 21:07
tried it, just makes the game crash, won't even load.
Iam using one and works perfectly with every game that doesn't recognize gamepads or needs xbox gamepad

try this http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1181969#post1181969

deders
21st Sep 2009, 21:21
Nice 1, this works great, now i can actually block all the time instead of having to hope for the best. Only problem now is that I need to sort out the axis for right analoge stick. I'm using a PS2 controller through usb and for some reason left and right camera goes up and down and vice verse. any ideas?

Deva
21st Sep 2009, 21:26
Nice 1, this works great, now i can actually block all the time instead of having to hope for the best. Only problem now is that I need to sort out the axis for right analoge stick. I'm using a PS2 controller through usb and for some reason left and right camera goes up and down and vice verse. any ideas?

iam using ps2 controller as well but the file is configured perfectly (I had the same prob so i remaped the keys) So try to remap them cause for me it works just fine ;/

Here take this just uploaded it check the buttons and remap them as you desire
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1TXS9TOM
Run the XInputTest.exe remap the keys via xbox360cemu.ini file

deders
21st Sep 2009, 21:34
iam using ps2 controller as well but the file is configured perfectly (I had the same prob so i remaped the keys) So try to remap them cause for me it works just fine ;/

Here take this just uploaded it check the buttons and remap them as you desire
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1TXS9TOM
Run the XInputTest.exe remap the keys via xbox360cemu.ini file

Thank you for that, you've made a gamer very happy, and there was me thinking i'd actually get some sleep tonight.

Deva
21st Sep 2009, 21:45
Thank you for that, you've made a gamer very happy, and there was me thinking i'd actually get some sleep tonight.

Np ^^ ask anytime btw when you edit the xbox360cemu.in file remember to Paste the Ini inside your batman binaries so the changes are recognized by the game. Have fun