PDA

View Full Version : Controls - What the hell?

phildog
19th Sep 2009, 00:17
What idiot came up with the idea combining run, jump, and use all into one key? It's absolutely absurd!

Shift is for run, E is for use, Space is for jump. How can you screw up something so simple?

jrwhopper
19th Sep 2009, 00:24
ohhhh does the little itsy teensy baby have a problem playing a videogame well smart one you hold to run and you cant even jump in this game im pretty sure and if you use a item enter???wait as im typing this what game are you talking about cuz that dosnt describe this game at all

Zagadka
19th Sep 2009, 00:33
Well, the controls are obviously a holdover from console commands.

However, I agree. I had problems in a certain part of the game where I had to jump up and grab a ledge to get to safety, but on running up, half the time when I hit space I did a useless forward dive.

And as I said in another post, dodges should be double-tap of direction, not spacebar. It's just awkward.

jrwhopper, you're not contributing anything valuable.

lawsie
19th Sep 2009, 00:49
isn't the jumping automatic?

Zagadka
19th Sep 2009, 01:22
Well, you have to run and hope that the game autojumps.

I think what we're talking about here is jumping up to grab a ledge.

ballsguy
19th Sep 2009, 06:20
Go get an xbox 360 controller for windows!!!!

Mousr and keyboard sucks for 3rd person action games with mutliple movements.

Mouse and keyboard is only good for first person shooters where to just aim, click, and wasd.

I have absoluetely no idea why anyone is runing this game, or Dead Space, or RE5, etc., 3rd person action games, by playing with a mouse.

Its absurd.

The camera controls don't even work properly in 3rd person games...dual analog works.

WASD movement is restricted to 8 directions...analog has 360 degree full movement.

WASD works in first person shooters becuase you aim with the mouse where you want to walk and the others just strafe.

GO get a 360 controller...it will help you with so many games in the future...

You will understand why this game uses the A button for everything...it FLOWS, and lets you keep moving and jumping and fighting without thinking about it. It...works.

oseven
19th Sep 2009, 06:35

Mouse and keyboard is only good for first person shooters where to just aim, click, and wasd.

I have absoluetely no idea why anyone is runing this game, or Dead Space, or RE5, etc., 3rd person action games, by playing with a mouse.

Its absurd.

The camera controls don't even work properly in 3rd person games...dual analog works.

WASD movement is restricted to 8 directions...analog has 360 degree full movement.

WASD works in first person shooters becuase you aim with the mouse where you want to walk and the others just strafe.

You will understand why this game uses the A button for everything...it FLOWS, and lets you keep moving and jumping and fighting without thinking about it. It...works.

I am going to have to agree with this guy. The PC controls for this game are completely whack. Normally, I like a game to not be a 1-2 button game like Gears of War, but there are just MUCH to many control/button patterns going on in this game. I recently made a post about how difficult it is to defeat encounters where it is imperative that you are using all of your combat and evade controls simply because the human hand does not have the endurance nor fingers to be flipping between 12 different button combination's.

This difficulty is amplified when the encounter removes the ability to turn with the mouse. I lose my mind when I'm forced to keyboard turn WHILE in extremely heavy combat with 6+ goons and environmental hazards....

GermanJoe
20th Sep 2009, 02:43
Got a 360 controller today and agree: Fluid motion combat is so much easier this way. I am still getting used to the camera control, but using gadgets and running / attacking / reflex action is so much smoother now.

The use of force feedback in the hacking sequences alones makes the purchase worthwhile.

Cheers,
Joe

serenity44
20th Sep 2009, 03:19
ya know i figured i'd have to go hook up my 360 controller to play this game, but idk about you guys i felt the keyboard was perfect. Only time it was awkward was when i had to blow up a gadget because it was the middle button on the mouse, but i changed it.

The movement controls seemed perfect to me. But idk thats just me.

YANG197
20th Sep 2009, 03:40
I totally agree that this type of game works way better with a joystick, however I don't agree with having to pay 40 dollars for x-box controller when i can get a logitech that does the same thing for twenty. Also, is anyone having a problem with the y axis being in reverse. The readme file states it happens but there solution to the problem doesn't works. If anyone have way to fix this problem please tell.

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
20th Sep 2009, 10:29

Its absurd.

:mad2:
How old are you? Started playing when xbox appeared? This "k&m sucks for 3rd person titles" mentality is a stupid myth.
Seriously, play these games - third person action games, I might add:

Die by the Sword
Max Payne
Severance Blade of Darkness
Rune
MDK

What do they have in common? THEY ARE PC GAMES, DESIGNED WITH KEYBOARD AND MOUSE IN MIND. Guess what? They work PERFECTLY and need no gamepad to enjoy them. Quite the contrary, some of them work WORSE when you use a controller.

Conclusion:

3rd person action games work great with keyboard and mouse if they are DESIGNED around this control scheme. So stop talking bullcrap about said all "3rd person games" being best when played with a controller, you're being ignorant.
Batman was created for a controller and it shows - the controls aren't as responsive as they should be and they didn't even bother to re-design the control scheme for the keyboard. So many actions on one button sucks.

Badmagic
20th Sep 2009, 19:48
Unfortunately I get the impression PC users are suffering these controls so the dev's could implement joypad support, just need to live with it until they realise key+mouse have been the top dog for a very long time for a very good reason.

si4174
20th Sep 2009, 20:08
I don't have problems with KB and mouse controls. I actually prefer it to fail-box joypads.

Deva
20th Sep 2009, 20:20
I totally agree that this type of game works way better with a joystick, however I don't agree with having to pay 40 dollars for x-box controller when i can get a logitech that does the same thing for twenty. Also, is anyone having a problem with the y axis being in reverse. The readme file states it happens but there solution to the problem doesn't works. If anyone have way to fix this problem please tell.

I use a PS2 Joystic with 360Joystic emulator and works like a miracle i've posted my configured files here
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95907

ballsguy
20th Sep 2009, 20:43
:mad2:
How old are you? Started playing when xbox appeared? This "k&m sucks for 3rd person titles" mentality is a stupid myth.
Seriously, play these games - third person action games, I might add:

Die by the Sword
Max Payne
Severance Blade of Darkness
Rune
MDK

What do they have in common? THEY ARE PC GAMES, DESIGNED WITH KEYBOARD AND MOUSE IN MIND. Guess what? They work PERFECTLY and need no gamepad to enjoy them. Quite the contrary, some of them work WORSE when you use a controller.

Conclusion:

3rd person action games work great with keyboard and mouse if they are DESIGNED around this control scheme. So stop talking bullcrap about said all "3rd person games" being best when played with a controller, you're being ignorant.
Batman was created for a controller and it shows - the controls aren't as responsive as they should be and they didn't even bother to re-design the control scheme for the keyboard. So many actions on one button sucks.

Clearly I came off as rude, because that was a rant that I wrote.

First off, I am 21.

Secondly, I am primarily a PC gamer, I do not own a Xbox 360, or PS3.

I have been building my own gaming PC's now for over 6 years, so, all my gaming time.

Yes, I'll agree with you, games designed for mouse and keyboard (The Witcher) are better with mouse and keyboard.

And clearly, games designed for 360 controller, are better for 360 controller. I should have mentioned that.

This game is designed for a 360 controller, the entire gameplay is built around it, thats why it works better.

I will defend my inital position however, mouse and keyboard is certainly more suited to fps's, and dual anaolog is certainly more suited to 3rd person action games with multiple complex movements, like this game.

The reason for this is simple, when you have multiple complex actions, you need multiple keys to hit (which are separated by distance on a keyboard, and there is chance of hitting the wrong keys occasionly).

Conversely on a controller, you have button states, like holding down left trigger and hitting either right button or right trigger or right stick button, etc etc.

You can do this on keyboard too but it isn't near as fuctional bcause of the spacing and random position of keys.

thetonyg
20th Sep 2009, 20:44
The controls were a little awkward at first for me, but only because they don't follow what I'm used to in other games. My biggest gripe would be the lack of a control/keyboard remap inside the game, that's fairly elementary imho.

Nonetheless, k&m here all the way, about to finish the game (would be done if I didn't pause every 30 minutes to come here for some entertaining drama ;) ), and have survived all combat first time through almost every time. Maybe I will get schooled when I go try the game on hard and agree with you but on regular difficulty combat is very easy imho... and the biggest thing I love about k&m is that during the scenes where you *have* to be stealthy, I can rapidly look around and assess my situation, scanning left, right, up, and down rapidly.

PS, excellent follow up post... the original post did come across a bit rude but your follow up makes your point quite well without sounding rude. I still love my k&m tho ;)

Paulley
20th Sep 2009, 22:48
the only keyboard problem i have is with the pressing L Ctrl to do a ground takedown.. when i move finger down there to press that button i lose placing on the WASD keys and it messes up my combos... everything else is fine.

jbscotchman
20th Sep 2009, 23:12
The mouse/keyboard controls are perfect for this game. I couldn't imagine playing it with a controller.

YANG197
23rd Sep 2009, 02:53
Thanks for the reply DEVA. I going to try the emulator out now. :)

ZippyDSMlee
23rd Sep 2009, 06:21
Controls are a bit.....meh I feel they are half worked out, there needs to be a jump button combining use/run is great but use run and jump not so much.

So jump/crouch is one button tap to jump hold to crouch.
bat stun and quick batarang should be toggle buttons hold use/run or a special button where you press it and attack you get stun and gadet button for quick rang. this frees up a button for block, so you put block where counter is and counter with heavy attack is on that button so if you don;t counter you either do a heavy attack that can be worked into combos or you can have block there so if a counter fails you can at least block.

But they are not the worst I have ever had to deal with frankly if I could button map and reset what dose what as far as what keys to use I could at least make it feel more intuitive and use my extra mouse buttons.....