PDA

View Full Version : Crash on Restart or Die

severon
18th Sep 2009, 21:27
Sorry, if this has been posted, but I looked and I didn't see it on these forums (although I have found people complaining about it elsewhere).

Whenever I Restart a Challenge / Restart from a checkpoint / Die it crashes to the desktop.

I know other people are experiencing this issue (and I'm sure it's posted by someone else here), but has anyone found a fix for the problem?

Vargre
19th Sep 2009, 02:34
Im having this same problem and its getting really effing annoying. I WANT TO PLAY THE BLOODY GAME! Im playing on hard, normal is just too easy. But i DO die more and i crash every single damn time I die. And it seems to have happened just after I installed the patch. Even though PhysX is turned off. Ive looked, but found no info on how to fix this, except maybe by turning the sound off? And i refuse to play a game without sound. I shouldnt have to make those kind of concessions. Come on Eidos, forget the GFWL ****e and get us some bug fixes already.

bbb
19th Sep 2009, 09:41
Do you get any dialogue boxes when it crashes?

Could you look in the Event Viewer (Administrative Tools in start menu) for any errors?

deders
19th Sep 2009, 10:07
I used to get this crash but I just uninstalled everything including savegames (after backing the savegame folder up) and after reinstalling it and restoring the backup everything is fine again.

Dr_Bob
19th Sep 2009, 13:50
I too have this problem.

When closing down the game a short crash log appears.

I will paste it here the next time I crash.

Vista Business 32bit
nVidia 8800GTS 512MB
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz

PhysX disabled

Used unofficial 1.0.1 patch instead of GFW Live update.

Muroz
19th Sep 2009, 16:04
Another one with the same issue here. The game doesn't crash every time I save/reload, but has happened often enough to make me concerned, annoyed and disappointed. The event log doesnt't give much details, and the exact error code varies. The most recent error code is 0x01156178.
PhysX is turned off. My graphics card is a 8800GT (512MB)

Rocksteady; please tell me that you are on top of this!

deders
20th Sep 2009, 17:17
Crashes started coming back, not at the game-over/retry any more like before but now when I return to menu or desktop, sometimes just before going to the loading screen. Have since updated DirectX and restarted my computer, and the problem seems to have gone for now.

cgt
20th Sep 2009, 19:06
I have the same problem. I only have recently started having the problem. It started at the Hospital level boss but now happens any time I die. If I didn't suck as much as I do this wouldn't be a problem.

I have included a capture of the exact error that appears once the game has crashed.
http://www.corrygt.com/batman_die_crash.JPG

It looks like my problem may be a *bit* different from everyone else here in that the game only crashes when I die, but not when I restart my saved game.

deders
20th Sep 2009, 19:44
I have the same problem. I only have recently started having the problem. It started at the Hospital level boss but now happens any time I die. If I didn't suck as much as I do this wouldn't be a problem.

I have included a capture of the exact error that appears once the game has crashed.

It looks like my problem may be a *bit* different from everyone else here in that the game only crashes when I die, but not when I restart my saved game.

I managed to solve the crash everytime I die by backing up my savegame folder and uninstalling/re-installing the game. your error message looks similar to the Physx errors people were getting when their D2D version of the game wasn't being patched properly and the game couldn't locate the parts of the files it needed. although their crashes happened much earlier in the game, just as you meet Gordon. and would continue throughout the game whenever it couldn't find a file.

hammer96
20th Sep 2009, 19:48
I am getting the same problem and it is very annoying. I am really pissed about this. When I installed the game it update live. I wonder if this has anything to do with it because it changed the version of the game from 1.0 to 1.1. It sounds to me like they need to fix the update to the game. They should not have released the update if it was going to cause so many problems for us pc users.

cgt
20th Sep 2009, 21:00
I managed to solve the crash everytime I die by backing up my savegame folder and uninstalling/re-installing the game. your error message looks similar to the Physx errors people were getting when their D2D version of the game wasn't being patched properly and the game couldn't locate the parts of the files it needed. although their crashes happened much earlier in the game, just as you meet Gordon. and would continue throughout the game whenever it couldn't find a file.

I actually had the physx crashes earlier on and I had to disable it, and I do have the direct2drive version. For the record the problem for me has completely gone away despite the fact I have not changed a thing - the game does not crash anymore when I die.

hammer96
20th Sep 2009, 22:30
I have uninstalled and reinstalled, but that did not help. I paid and downloaded mine from gamespot. I have written Eidos support. They have not responded yet. When they do I will post the reply that they give me.

To try and resolve the problem I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I downloaded the latest version of my sound drivers and this did not help. I have also changed the screen resolution on the game to 800x600, but all to no avail. My card is not capable of physx so it is not turned on. Do you have any other suggestions.

Muroz
20th Sep 2009, 23:01

Yep. I just took a screenshot of this exact same error message. To repeat, this doesn't happen every time I die/reload, but it happens too often. This last time is was after failing a challenge map.

One additional piece of information: I'm running WinXP with all the latest system updates.

deders
20th Sep 2009, 23:18
I have uninstalled and reinstalled, but that did not help. I paid and downloaded mine from gamespot. I have written Eidos support. They have not responded yet. When they do I will post the reply that they give me.

To try and resolve the problem I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I downloaded the latest version of my sound drivers and this did not help. I have also changed the screen resolution on the game to 800x600, but all to no avail. My card is not capable of physx so it is not turned on. Do you have any other suggestions.

might be worth trying the latest directX, solved a couple of crash issues for me after a restart

deders
20th Sep 2009, 23:51
Actually all my crashes, except for the physx ones are coming back to haunt me, the death/retry one and the return to menu/desktop one :(

hammer96
21st Sep 2009, 00:18
might be worth trying the latest directX, solved a couple of crash issues for me after a restart
I tried this and it did not work either. I have also downloaded the latest drivers for my video card and installed them, but I still get the same problem. It looks to me to be a software issue since so many people are having the same problems.

sb85
21st Sep 2009, 00:29
I am having this same annoying problem, everytime the character dies in the game, it crashes...ever so often a cutscene opens into a new section...crash...i dont even have physx enabled. but it is a patched d2d version of the game...this is so annoying

deders
21st Sep 2009, 00:40
Actually all my crashes, except for the physx ones are coming back to haunt me, the death/retry one and the return to menu/desktop one :(

just unin/reinstalled and everything is fine again, could there be a game file that is corrupting itself?

hammer96
21st Sep 2009, 01:01
I have a version that I paid for and would love to hear a response from Eidos for this problem. I believe that many more people are having this problem than being posted here. It is enough to make want my money back if a solution is not found soon.

deders
21st Sep 2009, 11:33
Just wondering, do we all have Nvidia Hardware here?

jaywalker2309
21st Sep 2009, 11:42
Guys, when you crash out can you upload the crash dump files located in the folder to us? zip up first tho.

Folder would be - Documents\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\BmGame\Logs folder.

upload to a file share somewhere and give us a link on here?

sb85
21st Sep 2009, 11:53
here are the log's

http://rapidshare.com/files/283002223/sb85-bmaaLogs.rar.html

cgt
21st Sep 2009, 12:10

Here is the link (http://www.corrygt.com/BMA_Logs2.zip) to the logs that were created just before I posted for the first time on this topic.

severon
21st Sep 2009, 19:39
Guys, when you crash out can you upload the crash dump files located in the folder to us? zip up first tho.

Folder would be - Documents\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\BmGame\Logs folder.

upload to a file share somewhere and give us a link on here?

LOGS FOLDER: http://www.severon.org/gfx/personal/batman-logs.zip

http://www.severon.org/gfx/personal/batman-crash-window.jpg

I should note: I'm on XP and I bought the game from a store. Not D2D. My Error msg is a windows crash failure, not the one that people are posting pictures of.

I can make it crash when doing a challenge as well, if I die or select to restart the challenge. Same goes for basic gameplay.

See the link at the top to the log folder, but this is the only thing in my log (various logs are pretty much the same thing, only the number of entries in the log varies):

Log: Log file open, 09/19/09 13:13:02
Log: Virtual memory allocation size: 0.00 MByte (0 Bytes)
Log: Physical memory allocation size: 0.00 MByte (0 Bytes)
Log: Closing by request
Log: Log file closed, 09/19/09 15:21:08

deders
21st Sep 2009, 20:16
Mine's pretty much the same

Log: Log file open, 09/21/09 11:50:01
Critical: appError called: Rendering thread exception:
General protection fault!

History: QA_APPROVED_BUILD_OCTOBER_2008 177051 19-08-2009 13:45.35 FMOD: 42200/42200 Game

Address = 0x392aa80 (filename not found)

Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)

And another:

Log: Log file open, 09/21/09 17:54:24
Log: Closing by request
Log: Log file closed, 09/21/09 17:55:00

the only other file is called launch and is blank

Muroz
21st Sep 2009, 21:51

Can do!

Here is my current logs folder, zipped down immediately after a crash during a challenge map: http://rapidshare.com/files/283203288/Logs_Muroz.zip.html

deders
21st Sep 2009, 22:41
It wasn't until I played the game all the way through that the crashes started, it was bugging me all the time, then i selected the normal batsuit as opposed to the armoured one that i'd been trying out and now I have no crash problems. I've not been able to make the game crash since (even after switching back to the armoured suit) and i'm not particularly keen to try as i've just got my joypad working with the game. It may be coincidence but like i said, the crashes only started once i'd finished the game.

UPDATE:
I can confirm that after loading the game up a couple of times with the armoured batsuit as the default selection for the challenge maps, the game started to crash again. After switching back to the default suit, no more crashes. having the armoured suit selected in the first slot seemed to affect the stability of the other three aswell.

severon
22nd Sep 2009, 01:35
Haven't beaten it yet. Only 19% in. Still crashing.

deders
22nd Sep 2009, 01:37
Haven't beaten it yet. Only 19% in. Still crashing.

Did you get the armoured batsuit unlock code?

Muroz
22nd Sep 2009, 07:14
In my case, no. I'm in Arkham Mansion, trying to rescue Dr. Young.

severon
22nd Sep 2009, 14:23

Nope. No code. No armor.

Vargre
22nd Sep 2009, 18:46
The only way I was able to fix mine was to uninstall/ re-install and then NOT apply the patch. Of course, im playing offline now but Im not crashing. So obviously it has something to do with the physX. Problem is, even when I had installed the patch and supposedly turned off the physX option, I was still getting the crash. I dont know if this had anything to do with it, but when I play on normal mode, it doesnt crash as often as when im playing on hard mode. Hard mode crashes EVERY time I restart or die. Normal is not nearly as frequently. I will post my files in the following email.

severon
22nd Sep 2009, 23:26
I wish Eidos would give reassurances that this is being looked at, considering it's a pretty serious bug which causes crashes on death/restart.

hammer96
23rd Sep 2009, 01:56
I am getting the same exact error as the one before. I wrote Eidos hoping that they would take a look at it, but I have not heard back from them yet. I am just frustrated. The game is good, but would be great if it could stay up and running.

hammer96
23rd Sep 2009, 01:59
I found on other sites that you should try playing without live, but whats the point in that? It defeats the point of Challenge Mode. The people I emailed gave me the standard email to shut off other programs, screensavers, anitivirus.etc. I tried all that they suggested and nothing. I still get the same error. If you ask me in my experience it has got to be the game. If so many people are having this same exact problem with different configurations, then there is something definately going on with the game.

severon
23rd Sep 2009, 12:59
Frustrating to put it mildly. I have been waiting for this game, including holding off on getting the PS3 version with Joker (I wanted the graphics boost), so it's a pity that it's here and it has such a major crash issue.

Dephrone
23rd Sep 2009, 14:04
Hi everybody

Just wanted to say Rocksteady did an amazing work with Batman , the game is really excellent, the storyboard, the music and atmosphere, the background really dives you in the immersive world of Batman. You really stay speechless with the combat's choreography and the amount of enemy. And for that I really wanted to thank you

But I must admit the experience is a little bit spoiled by the multiple crash, sometime it's when you're switching with the map/riddle and back in the game -> freeze

When you die and the pnj is supposed to laugh at you -> freeze and back on windows -> sending the error to Eidos.

Or the famous Nv4_disp which stayed stuck in a infinite loop ( Xp reinstalled, latest drivers installed, Bios flashed, even bought a power supply of 850W [I wanted to change anyway] , Phyx On or Off it's the same.

I'm really looking forward to get a new patch which will be able to fix all those kind of bugs/crash. It's a pity to play on PS3 to avoid those kind of problems.

But once again I still think we get there a wonderful game and so far It gave me one of the greatest video-games experience.

P/s forgive my English which isn't my mother-tongue and that I never learned it outside computer's world or games :D

Vargre
23rd Sep 2009, 14:57
Well, I thought I had it licked...I installed the patch and then went into my Nvidia control panel and turned off the PhysX, not the game option, but the actual vid card control panel, and it seemed to work...for a little while. Then when I downloaded the DLC for the challenge maps it crashed immediately and now its crashing about every other time I die. Plus, when I DO die, I get this weird ghosting on the graphics...like where Joker or Harley mocks you? That part? Its like im tripping and getting some wicked trails...anyroad, heres the link to my logfile that someone requested earlier.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=218e0134caaaa50ed9d5c56d04dfa8b0385041c9c7a320caa4648785df63f216

For the time being, until they get this issue resolved, im uninstalling it and then reinstalling without the patch. Thats the only sure fire way I know for a fact works. And id rather play the game offline, although it more than sorta pisses me off that I have to do it this way....I like, no...i LOVE the challenge maps and being able to download the new ones....but It IS an amazing game and id rather play it at least some as opposed to not at all.

deders
23rd Sep 2009, 15:00
I get this weird ghosting on the graphics...like where Joker or Harley mocks you? That part? Its like im tripping and getting some wicked trails...anyroad, heres the link to my logfile that someone requested earlier.

I used to get that from the D2D version, until I borrowed a friends dvd version, now it mostly works fine, mostly...

severon
23rd Sep 2009, 17:15
After this long, you would figure an Eidos rep would write a reply just stating that they are looking into the problem to let us know it is being addressed.

Once again, it's a WIDE SPREAD problem. Just do a search in Google and you can see the droves of people experiencing the same difficulties.

Sometimes I like to kill myself in the game, just so I can see what they're gonna say to taunt me or so that I can see what the kill animation looks like. Basically, in one scene, I let myself die, knowing full well it would crash after doing so and sure enough, it crashed right on queue. I got my screenshot though ;p (I use Fraps and make virtual scrapbooks from the pictures I take from games I love while I play).

I figure I can look back many years from now and enjoy the memories of all the awesome games I played.

Eldrac
23rd Sep 2009, 17:37
Getting this myself with the Steam version but it is pretty random, some days it's working all hunky dory and the next I am crashing as soon as I die or exit from the game!

Hopefully Eidos are all over this.

ltcolfury
23rd Sep 2009, 18:10
Severon is 100% correct. I found this post while searching for the same issue.

I don't know what else to do. Every time I die it crashes. Sometimes, it'll just crash for no reason. (General Protection Fault) I have Physx turned off even though I far surpass the maximum specifications. (Q4, 4GB RAM, GTX 260, etc.)

A great game but the bugs we have going on here is ruining the entire fun. I sure hope someone is looking into this problem. I purchased my game through Gamersgate.com. I reinstalled, etc, etc...same result.

Jho
23rd Sep 2009, 18:46
The thing that annoys me the most is that I always have to watch the logo screens in the beginning after the game crashes and i have to start it again.

severon
23rd Sep 2009, 19:28
... and the next I am crashing as soon as I die or exit from the game!

Yeah. I've just noticed today that sometimes I crash while exiting the game (I hit pause and select Quit to go back to the main menu, but it just crashes to desktop). Logs look the same as those I have submitted.

severon
23rd Sep 2009, 19:29
The thing that annoys me the most is that I always have to watch the logo screens in the beginning after the game crashes and i have to start it again.

Yeah :p I find myself wishing I could skip them everytime I crash.

hammer96
23rd Sep 2009, 22:27
I have written Eidos as well. I am awaiting there response. I sent them my directx txt file with all my information. I think it is a good game too, but it seems that this problem may be becoming epidemic if it already has not. I am planning on getting a PS3 later on, but I wanted to test it out first with the pc version I bought. I too hope that they come out with some kind of patch. I read in here that someone was mentioning trails in the "die/restart" movies. I am getting this as well. Logically it looks like the problem might be with the videos that come on when you die or when it has to switch to restart a challenge.

deders
23rd Sep 2009, 22:33
I read in here that someone was mentioning trails in the "die/restart" movies. I am getting this as well. Logically it looks like the problem might be with the videos that come on when you die or when it has to switch to restart a challenge.

I think the trails are more to do with the D2D patching issue as I had that before all this other crashing, which seems to happen at the actual transition between dying and the retry screen, or quiting to menu or desktop. in my case anyway.

Anyone experiencing physx crashes or trails and maybe any other problems should try using the patch from this thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=96538

packetdrop
23rd Sep 2009, 23:38
I have the exact same issue except I bought mine from steam, log dir: http://wikisend.com/download/442220/BmGame_Logs.zip

I should note: I'm on XP and I bought the game from a store. Not D2D. My Error msg is a windows crash failure, not the one that people are posting pictures of.

I can make it crash when doing a challenge as well, if I die or select to restart the challenge. Same goes for basic gameplay.

See the link at the top to the log folder, but this is the only thing in my log (various logs are pretty much the same thing, only the number of entries in the log varies):

-snip-

Vargre
24th Sep 2009, 12:58
Anyone experiencing physx crashes or trails and maybe any other problems should try using the patch from this thread:

As ive said earlier, Ive been experiencing the same crash at death/ restart as everyone else. Ive also been downloading the patch direct through GFWL. I followed the link above, installed it direct and so far ive had no issues with either trails or crashes at restarts. Go figure...GFWL ends up being the problem. What a shock.

Cruis.In
24th Sep 2009, 14:33
yeah same here crash all the time , i posted about it on many other posts.

jaywalker2309
24th Sep 2009, 14:44
Vargre - are you a digital download user by any chance?

Cruis.In - have you tried the newly hosted patch we're hosting?

jbscotchman
24th Sep 2009, 17:47
I got the STEAM version and I to have been getting crashes mainly after I die. It doesn't happen everytime though.

Jho
24th Sep 2009, 19:55

That fixed it for me, yay and thanks a lot!

Just played a good 45 mins. challenges and no crashes between them.

severon
24th Sep 2009, 21:43

Repatching using this seems to have 'fixed it'. Scared to say that in case it indeed hasn't but I did play a few challenge maps without a crash... sooooooo... so far so good.

I have crashed a couple times but unrelated to the previous issues (I just get a black screen and then I have to CTRL+ALT+DELETE to get out).

Thanks for the post!

P.S.
I had patched the game previously through GFWL. I simply downloaded that file and applied it right over top the already patched game.

severon
24th Sep 2009, 23:39
Repatching using this seems to have 'fixed it'. Scared to say that in case it indeed hasn't but I did play a few challenge maps without a crash... sooooooo... so far so good.

I have crashed a couple times but unrelated to the previous issues (I just get a black screen and then I have to CTRL+ALT+DELETE to get out).

Thanks for the post!

P.S.
I had patched the game previously through GFWL. I simply downloaded that file and applied it right over top the already patched game.

Nope. Still crashing. It did not fix my problem. I wish I could get an answer for this. Really annoying.

Vargre
24th Sep 2009, 23:46
Vargre - are you a digital download user by any chance?

Cruis.In - have you tried the newly hosted patch we're hosting?

I did JayCW...I downloaded through D2D. And your direct patch fixed the crashes. Much obliged to you lot. By the way, impressive resume on IMDB. Nicely done.

severon
25th Sep 2009, 02:29
As a reminder I'm on the DVD version of the game. Not D2D.

Glad the patch is working for D2D people. Now, how do I fix my woes? :P

jll544
26th Sep 2009, 04:54
I also have the DVD version and often experience the death crashes. I tried the patch here but saw no improvement. The crashes weren't much of a problem when I played the game on Normal, but now that I'm playing Hard difficulty, the crashes are really annoying. At the very least, I wish the opening splash screens were skippable, so it wouldn't take so freaking long to get back into the game. :mad2: Great game otherwise.

Draelith
26th Sep 2009, 13:00
I also have the DVD version and often experience the death crashes. I tried the patch here but saw no improvement. The crashes weren't much of a problem when I played the game on Normal, but now that I'm playing Hard difficulty, the crashes are really annoying. At the very least, I wish the opening splash screens were skippable, so it wouldn't take so freaking long to get back into the game. :mad2: Great game otherwise.

Same here. I've got the Australian version on DVD and it crashes when i get my butt whooped. But there was a period earlier today when it didn't crash at all when I was getting beaten.

I even tried installing the patch over the top of the one downloaded via GFWL and that didn't help.

I'm running an NVIDIA 8800GTX 768 have 2x AA on and Full Physics on.

Any solution to this yet?

Thanks.

Draelith
27th Sep 2009, 01:22
Anyone?

severon
27th Sep 2009, 16:33
And the wait for a response continues. I don't see why Eidos haven't responded with something like

"We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused with enjoying our product. We want to assure you that we are looking into the problems you and other gamers are having and hope to have it resolved as soon as possible. Please bare with us in this matter."

Then I know that my cries have been heard and that Eidos give a damn about what a paying Customer is going through and that I didn't just go and download their game somewhere. Seems like a small thing to ask for considering we're all people who forked over our dollars and supported their latest work.

kronowolf
28th Sep 2009, 04:48
For what it's worth, I had been experiencing chronic GetOutermost crashes and was able to resolve the problem permanently by doing the following:

1. Uninstall Batman: Arkham Asylum using the provided uninstaller (there's an option to preserve save game data so you won't lose your progress)
2. Navigate to the directory where you installed the game (usually C:\Program Files\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum)
3. DELETE the directory completely (this is very important) -- the v1.1 title update leaves behind some updated game files that the uninstaller does not remove so you must remove them manually by deleting the directory
4. Once you've verified that no trace of the installation directory remains, reinstall the game but DO NOT run the game when the installation completes
5. After installing, download the v1.1 patch hosted by Eidos here: http://eidos.http.internapcdn.net/eidos_vitalstream_com/batman/Batman_TU_v1.1_EFIGS.exe
6. Apply the v1.1 patch you just downloaded

At this point, your game should be crash-free. Mine is. The key here is updating a fresh install of the game using the manual v1.1 patch provided by Eidos and NOT the GFWL automatic title update process. I initially patched my game via GFWL and experienced intermittent GetOutermost crashes (among others) throughout my playthrough.

After using the process detailed above, I was able to play several hours of challenges (including countless deaths, retries, and exits to main menu) without a single crash. I also played a few hours of the singleplayer campaign without incident.

I hope this helps a few of the people following this thread. Sorry if it borders on tl;dr

Draelith
28th Sep 2009, 09:47
I did the exact thing, uninstall deleting all files etc but not luck. It still crashes most times when i die or when I restart a challenge. I'd say about 9 out of 10 times it fails. Then the one time it doesn't it works fine for a while until I quit. Then it starts over again with the crashing.

I'd say it's a testament to how good a game this is that I can put up with the constant crashing. But it would be nice to get some feedback on how this issue is being resolved.

If a dev wants more info, feel free to ask me, I'll give you every bit of system info your after if it helps.

Cheers.

Jarri
28th Sep 2009, 10:53
Really thanks for the help,kronowolf.I will try this,when I will come home from work...
btw,this game is awesome perfect!!

ann0x
28th Sep 2009, 11:54
i have the normal dvd version of this game, from amazon germany.
first i completed it using an offline profile and patch 1.0, no crashes.
then i installed the patch hosted on this forum and created a second profile, this time online/live.
playing on this profile with 1.1 now i have a crash everytime i die or "restart from checkpoint" - screen goes black, i return to desktop with the "BmShipping"-error.

D007
29th Sep 2009, 02:44

find the file bmengine in the my documents/eidos/batman/bmgame/config folder.
open it and look for this near the bottom.

[FullScreenMovie]
SkippableMovies=Attract
StartupMovies=baa_logo_run_v5_h264
StartupMovies=UTlogo
StartupMovies=Legal
StartupMovies=Install

remove them all and save the file.
no more splash screen load up movies.

for audio problems try changing these values in the same file near the bottom.

[FMODAudio.FMODAudioDevice]
MaxChannels=200
UseEffectsProcessing=True
EnableMIDIMixing=False

TO:

MaxChannels=20
UseEffectsProcessing=False
EnableMIDIMixing=False

good luck.
Crashes less for me but still far to often to be acceptable.

severon
29th Sep 2009, 12:51

[FullScreenMovie]
SkippableMovies=Attract
StartupMovies=baa_logo_run_v5_h264
StartupMovies=UTlogo
StartupMovies=Legal
StartupMovies=Install

remove them all and save the file.
no more splash screen load up movies.

Thanks. Definitely going to try this.

Jarri
29th Sep 2009, 18:39
In my case (Corei7, GTX280 OCX SLI, 191.03 Beta, SLI mode on NvCP, PhysX Hig,h). On windows XP x86 Batman runs better than on Windows 7 RC x64. 5-10 fps smoother. same graphics settings. But on Windows XP x86 game crash to desktop after dead, always. But on Windows 7 RC x64 don't crash. Is there someone who has Vista or 7 x64 and game crashes to desktop? Thanks

Draelith
29th Sep 2009, 23:45
Interesting to note that I'm running Windows XP SP3 x86 as well. Maybe there is a bug somewhere with WinXP?

D007
30th Sep 2009, 00:19
Make sure you install this game on a clean HD. Defrag it then install this game.
also try running physx at normal not off.

I uninstalled this game, ran a defrag then reinstalled..
I haven't had an issue since and I was having constant crashes on death or retry.
I set my physx from high to normal as well.
all my other settings are maxed. 16Q etc etc.
8800GTX Nvidia.

also try the audio solution. to many sounds cause lag and crashes, particularly on onboard sound.

CHANGE FROM:

MaxChannels=200
UseEffectsProcessing=True
EnableMIDIMixing=False

TO:

MaxChannels=20
UseEffectsProcessing=False
EnableMIDIMixing=False

severon
30th Sep 2009, 13:49
And still no Eidos response.

I'm also using XP Service Pack 3.

Jarri
30th Sep 2009, 15:56
I reinstalled game. Deleted all files Batman. Restart. Install GFWL update, that I was able to run GFWL on windows http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95980

Then I installed game, patch and run the game. sign to GFWL in game and I played it a hour to the Bane. 10x I was dead and no crash to desktop.
On Windows XP SP3 x86

deders
30th Sep 2009, 18:58
Yep crashes with XP x86 SP3 here too, have played it in Vista64 with no crashes, but performance is so much better in XP, can turn the AA up from 2x to 4x and its still smoother than Vista.

Jarri
30th Sep 2009, 20:41
yap.you're right. Performance in XP is much better. I have 5-10 fps more.daaaaamn,fix this stupid crashing bug!!

deders
30th Sep 2009, 21:34
have just seen somone post that their system is much more stable with medium physx settings over high and is much less likely to crash on game over, does this ring true with everyone?

Draelith
1st Oct 2009, 05:10
Well I've also got an NVIDIA 8800GTX and I'm running physics on high. Going to switch it to normal when I get home from work and give that a go.

I might try the audio thing first as when I was installing it, it did say that there were compatibility issues there.

Anyone know the difference between High Physx and Normal? I kinda like all the visuals and I've not had any problems with fps. I average 40fps with physx on High.

deders
1st Oct 2009, 06:11
Well I've also got an NVIDIA 8800GTX and I'm running physics on high. Going to switch it to normal when I get home from work and give that a go.

I might try the audio thing first as when I was installing it, it did say that there were compatibility issues there.

Anyone know the difference between High Physx and Normal? I kinda like all the visuals and I've not had any problems with fps. I average 40fps with physx on High.

It's going to be the amount of physx objects rendered, so you'll get some things but not others. the arkham banners are missing for one thing.
How far through the game have you got with a single 8800GTX on with physx on high? would have thought some sections would need 2 cards.

Draelith
1st Oct 2009, 08:25
I just exited the batcave for the second time. I have had no slow down issues at all. The game runs brilliantly except for the whole crashing on restart or die.

But the thing is, there are times when I will die and as long as it works once, the whole rest of the time (until i quit) it works perfectly too, like i can die 100 times (not that i do) and it will work every time. But if I quit, it will crash again the next time i die. I don't get it.

deders
1st Oct 2009, 09:11
I just exited the batcave for the second time. I have had no slow down issues at all. The game runs brilliantly except for the whole crashing on restart or die.

But the thing is, there are times when I will die and as long as it works once, the whole rest of the time (until i quit) it works perfectly too, like i can die 100 times (not that i do) and it will work every time. But if I quit, it will crash again the next time i die. I don't get it.

yeah i get the same with the crashes,
So you get no slowdown whatsoever with the scarecrow sequences with all that debris flying about? on 128 shader cores? with all that debris flying about and papers burning up?
I wonder why they recommend more than double that. I've got 2 9800gtx+'s I have one of them purely doing physx calculations and i'd say that was the minimum you'd need for a good experience with a couple of drops below 25fps here and there, I've not tried taking one out and seeing what happens there though.

ann0x
1st Oct 2009, 09:50
i could play the whole game perfectly well with physx "high" (gtx260)
only during one part in 2nd scarecrow (where the tower breaks down) it became unplayable :P

deders
1st Oct 2009, 09:52
i could play the whole game perfectly well with physx "high" (gtx260)
only during one part in 2nd scarecrow (where the tower breaks down) it became unplayable :P

Interesting... is that a 192 or 216 core 260?
which driver version?
in XP or Vista?

ann0x
1st Oct 2009, 10:08
XP, the newest driver which is not beta (the one that came out right before AA and is said to optimize for the game)

deders
1st Oct 2009, 10:09
XP, the newest driver which is not beta (the one that came out right before AA and is said to optimize for the game)

and number of shader cores?
which anti-aliasing level?
what cpu is that on?
Sorry for the interrogation

severon
1st Oct 2009, 14:37
I've had similar experiences with loading the game up and it seems to be crash free (as I reported a false positive about something fixing my problem earlier). Then you load it up next time and bam, back to Crash City.

Draelith
1st Oct 2009, 23:34
Yea, i forgot about the scarecrow experience... the one where you end up in the bell tower... it came to a crawl just at the end of that sequence. But I was assuming that was a bug somewhere. That's the only time I've had it do that. All other times have been smooth as. The paper and debri flying up didn't slow it down at all. Well, nothing noticeable anyway.

I've also noticed an occasional texture tear. It's happened twice now where all of a sudden its like one of the textures gets sent flying across the level so you'll have this massive streak of a texture going across the area. The only way to fix it is close the game and open up again.

As for the audio fix, I tried editing the bmengine.ini to change the audio from 200 to 20 and it would crash on load every time, so changed it back and its fine again... except the crashing on restart or die.

ann0x
2nd Oct 2009, 10:07
Yea, i forgot about the scarecrow experience... the one where you end up in the bell tower... it came to a crawl just at the end of that sequence. But I was assuming that was a bug somewhere. That's the only time I've had it do that. All other times have been smooth as. The paper and debri flying up didn't slow it down at all. Well, nothing noticeable anyway.

that's the part i mean, nearly at the end of that a tower breaks down and my guess is that all those flying bricks are just too much to handle for our systems ;P

@deders: my cpu is a q9300 and i had anti-aliasing "off" by default, although i only realized it later, i guess i could turn it higher^^ but i liked the graphics already that much that i don't see why i would need AA...

deders
2nd Oct 2009, 10:10
@deders: my cpu is a q9300 and i had anti-aliasing "off" by default, although i only realized it later, i guess i could turn it higher^^ but i liked the graphics already that much that i don't see why i would need AA...

you should easily be able to enable AA, but I still want to know how many shader cores your 260gtx has.:scratch:

Edit: you could probably change the default anisitropic filtering too from 4x to 16x in the BmEngine.ini in your documents/eidos/.... look for the MaxAnisotropy=4 setting. this has had virtualy no degredation in performance for me and i've only got 512mb video ram

ann0x
2nd Oct 2009, 10:19
well, i assume it's the 216 version, but i don't know where i can check that now?

deders
2nd Oct 2009, 10:53
well, i assume it's the 216 version, but i don't know where i can check that now?

you can download GPUz from here
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/
tells you all kinds of info about your graphics chip.
sorry to be a bother, just had a few people asking advice as to what card to get.

ann0x
2nd Oct 2009, 12:45
it's 216

deders
2nd Oct 2009, 12:48
it's 216

nice 1 cheers

Jarri
2nd Oct 2009, 19:09
Anybody have an idea how to fix that crashing problem??? thanks

severon
2nd Oct 2009, 21:13
If there is a fix, I don't know about it.

Draelith
2nd Oct 2009, 22:30
I got a response from jaycw2309 before who said:

---
The QA guys at Eidos are looking into it, trying to find a way to reproduce it etc.
---

So, they are working on it, just have to be patient. I have since turned my physx to normal instead of high and it hasn't crashed yet. But will test a few more times before I can confirm this works.

deders
3rd Oct 2009, 04:28
that's the part i mean, nearly at the end of that a tower breaks down and my guess is that all those flying bricks are just too much to handle for our systems ;P

Actually now i'm replaying that section i get the same problem at the same point, the bricks start to break away as soon as I attack the skeletons the framerate dromps to around 3fps this didn't happen before to me at all so it could still be a bug in the game or drivers. I'm going try quitting to desktop and restarting the game from the same point to see if that helps.

Jarri
3rd Oct 2009, 10:12
Pefect!!! Gracie

Jarri
3rd Oct 2009, 10:14
I had this problem,too. Droping FPS to 3 FPS when I attacked skeletons. On that part of game, I turn off physX and after skeletons I turned physX on. :((

DannyMeister
4th Oct 2009, 06:54
I'm getting a crash every time I die. I have never once seen the Joker taunting screen that others have mentioned.

I have the Steam version of the game, running XP Pro 32 bit, 2 8800 GTX 768MB running in SLI with physx on medium, ASUS Striker II Formula motherboard with onboard SoundMAX card. I have tried the 1.1 patch provided on these forums with no luck.

Launch.log is empty.

deders
4th Oct 2009, 06:56
I have the Steam version of the game, running XP Pro 32 bit, 2 8800 GTX 768MB running in SLI with physx on medium

If you switched SLI off for this game and let one of your cards handle physx on it's own you could most likely put physx on high. I know i can with 2x 9800gtx+s

DannyMeister
4th Oct 2009, 08:07
I'm getting a crash every time I die. I have never once seen the Joker taunting screen that others have mentioned.

I have the Steam version of the game, running XP Pro 32 bit, 2 8800 GTX 768MB running in SLI with physx on medium, ASUS Striker II Formula motherboard with onboard SoundMAX card. I have tried the 1.1 patch provided on these forums with no luck.

Launch.log is empty.

If you switched SLI off for this game and let one of your cards handle physx on it's own you could most likely put physx on high. I know i can with 2x 9800gtx+s

Oops, I actually did have the physx on high. When I turn physx off or put it on normal, my crashes are gone.

... before posting this I set physx back on high and the crashes are still gone :D
It makes me doubt it is related to physx at all. Maybe the patch I downloaded didn't really take effect the first time :confused:

Man, this is a great game. I went back in to test with physx turned back on and accidentally spend another hour playing.

deders
4th Oct 2009, 08:36
Oops, I actually did have the physx on high. When I turn physx off or put it on normal, my crashes are gone.

... before posting this I set physx back on high and the crashes are still gone :D
It makes me doubt it is related to physx at all. Maybe the patch I downloaded didn't really take effect the first time :confused:

Man, this is a great game. I went back in to test with physx turned back on and accidentally spend another hour playing.

are you using XP, Vista or 7?

DannyMeister
4th Oct 2009, 14:03
XP Pro

deders
4th Oct 2009, 14:07
XP Pro

I've put up a poll in this thread so we can corrolate what OS's people are having problems with. It seems that everyone with this particular problem seems to be running it on XP x86

Please take part so they can isolate the problem and get a patch to us quicker

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1196912#post1196912

jaybles
4th Oct 2009, 16:02
Just wanted to throw my two cents in that I get this too. All throughout ALL the downloadable content and challenge mode times when i want to quickly restart and go back to enjoying perfecting my freeflows, it goddamn crashes. General protection fault every. single. time.

I'm on XP Pro, 32bit, 8800GTX graphics.

Fix this Eidos/Rocksteady please :'( your game is so amazing I want it to work more..

Scarn
5th Oct 2009, 00:51
I'm useing windows 7 beta and it crashes when I either restart or die, anyone have a suggestion.

Draelith
5th Oct 2009, 06:48
Well since turning physx to normal I've had no problems at all. None. I'm going to try turning it back to High again tonight and see how that goes. But as all I have left is Shock and Awe Extreme and Rumble in the Jungle Extreme before I reach my 1000, there no real need to have physx on High anyway.

But I'll test anyway.

Jarri
5th Oct 2009, 15:09
:)))) but I want to play on High physX,because I have 2x GTX280. When physX is on normal, there is no flags and other things like flags. only papers on floor and floor destroy.

deders
5th Oct 2009, 15:14
:)))) but I want to play on High physX,because I have 2x GTX280. When physX is on normal, there is no flags and other things like flags. only papers on floor and floor destroy.

I think the suggestion was to play that small section of the game with normal physx or physx off and then turn it back on when you get to the next checkpoint. Not the most ideal solution I know, but a temporary one until it gets sorted out so you can carry on playing the game.

Jarri
5th Oct 2009, 17:12
**** **** ****,fix this,****

deders
6th Oct 2009, 11:48
I had this problem,too. Droping FPS to 3 FPS when I attacked skeletons. On that part of game, I turn off physX and after skeletons I turned physX on. :((

Yea, i forgot about the scarecrow experience... the one where you end up in the bell tower... it came to a crawl just at the end of that sequence. But I was assuming that was a bug somewhere.

Try the new 191.07 drivers, worked for me.

Jarri
6th Oct 2009, 18:21
WHOLE GAME IS FULL OF BUGS!!!!! with physx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! low fps-5 fps on scary parts of game with that scary man (Cant remember his name). crashing to desktop. bad graphic sometimes

my confg: corei7, 2x GTX280 SLI, 6GB DDR3
191.07 WHQL 1.1 patch

deders
6th Oct 2009, 18:44
WHOLE GAME IS FULL OF BUGS!!!!! with physx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! low fps-5 fps on scary part of game. crashing to desktop. bad graphic sometimes

my confg: corei7, 2x GTX280 SLI, 6GB DDR3
191.07 WHQL 1.1 patch

Is your SLI on or off?

Jarri
6th Oct 2009, 19:12
my SLI is ON. Is it better to set on Control Panel on Batman single GPU? for me,little worked to set normal physx. but I want high,because there is not flags and other things in normal.

deders
6th Oct 2009, 19:16
my SLI is ON. Is it better to set on Control Panel on Batman single GPU? for me,little worked to set normal physx.

Switching Batman to Single GPU isn't as effective as turning SLI off,
Best to switch SLI off completely so it uses one of your cards just for the physx.

Jarri
7th Oct 2009, 16:26
thanks,I will try this!

Shonksta
13th Oct 2009, 04:35
Hi everyone something that fixed this issue for me while also having Physx on high was this:

Originally Posted by Abyss12321
Hi guys,
i have the solution at your problem:
just go to :
-Documents\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Bmgame\Config\

localize a file name "BmEngine.ini"
make sure that this file is on "read only"
ans find the command :

bPhysXuseGRB=True and set this command in bPhysXuseGRB=False

Don't forget to set "file read only" for the file save and don't change your BmEngine.ini
Make sure the file as save it !

This was originally a fix for extreme performance loss ( 60fps down to 3ps etc ) in the scarecrow scenes and it worked, it also for me fixed the restart/die crashes. If this works for you as well please give credit to Abyss12321 who posted the fix. Hope this works for you guys to, Cheers.

jaybles
24th Oct 2009, 14:01
Hi everyone something that fixed this issue for me while also having Physx on high was this:

Originally Posted by Abyss12321
Hi guys,
i have the solution at your problem:
just go to :
-Documents\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Bmgame\Config\

localize a file name "BmEngine.ini"
make sure that this file is on "read only"
ans find the command :

bPhysXuseGRB=True and set this command in bPhysXuseGRB=False

Don't forget to set "file read only" for the file save and don't change your BmEngine.ini
Make sure the file as save it !

This was originally a fix for extreme performance loss ( 60fps down to 3ps etc ) in the scarecrow scenes and it worked, it also for me fixed the restart/die crashes. If this works for you as well please give credit to Abyss12321 who posted the fix. Hope this works for you guys to, Cheers.

Didn't fix it for me.

I don't use PhysX, and as stated I only get it when I'm restarting or dieing in a challenge mode/dlc mode.

sigh.

deders
24th Oct 2009, 14:02
Didn't fix it for me.

I don't use PhysX, and as stated I only get it when I'm restarting or dieing in a challenge mode/dlc mode.

sigh.

me neither, the bug is more random than that.