PDA

View Full Version : Physx stops working

Tannedhide
17th Sep 2009, 22:46
Just got the game today and it's great so far but having a couple of technical issues.

First off I can't seem to download the new DLC challenge map. I can see it on the marketplace and select it, but it simply states it can't be downloaded.

More importantly i'm having some issues with physx. I've tried both Normal and High physx settings and it does the same on both. What happens is it'll start fine, I'll get the fog and leaves and paper and that. Then the screen will flicker (like when a resolution change occurs) and then the whole graphics will be a mess. I can see Bats but the geometry of the environment is pretty much destroyed into a triangular mess. If I restart from a checkpoint the environment returns, physx has gone but the physx leaves etcs are still there solidly floating in the air. No physics calcs are seeming to affect them.

I've got the latest Nvidia drivers on the system (190.62) and the SLI update profile 2.0. I've also got the following settings:

1920 by 1200
vsync
4 aa
everything on full
v1.1

This is on my i7 920, 6GB RAM and GTX295 with WIn7 64 RC

everything is running at stock speeds, no huge fan kicks in when the screen goes dodgy either so i don't think it's a heat issue.

Any thoughts?

mchart
17th Sep 2009, 22:58
Do you have odd crashes or graphical issues with other games? To be honest, it sounds like your 295 is having issues. Artifacts like you mention are usually caused by a failing power supply, or the GPU going bad.

Tannedhide
18th Sep 2009, 08:17
Do you have odd crashes or graphical issues with other games? To be honest, it sounds like your 295 is having issues. Artifacts like you mention are usually caused by a failing power supply, or the GPU going bad.

No, everything else is fine. Nothing else crashes (except Fallut 3 which is becuase of the amount of mods I have on it). I'm fairly confident it's not the card as I've had marathon sessions on full quality crysis at 1920 by 1200 and it's been perfectly fine. The issues only arise when I switch physx on. With it on (before it decides to clap out on me) it's a constant 60fps dropping to around 45 when about 5 enemies appear.

Plus like I mentioned, I'm able to go back to the menu, at which point the game is fine. When my old 9800 Pro started dying I couldn't recover the game without a reboot.

I'm gonna do a full reinstall of the graphics driver, see if that fixes it.

EDIT: When I had the demo, I had everything on and the game was fine.

jaywalker2309
18th Sep 2009, 08:24
Have you tried dropping detail down on your settings just to test if it is that causing the issue.

The physx engine will scale itself if it finds that the machine isnt rendering things in time..

Tannedhide
18th Sep 2009, 08:39
It never drops below 45fps but I'll give it a try, once I try a gfx reinstall (I'm at work now, so it'll be in about 10 hours).

To be honest though, if I have to drop the detail to get it work the engine needs further optmising. This computer is fairly lean process wise and is pretty much as top end as I should need to run any game out there.

EDIT: I've just thought of something else. I run multi monitor (2). Could that be a factor? I'll try disabling it too as a test. I can feel a Friday Night experiment coming on http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

jaywalker2309
18th Sep 2009, 09:07
hehe.. thanks for ya patience.. i have a monitor the size of my desk and a 2nd one (everyone mocks my monitor size as being too big for my desk)

Tannedhide
18th Sep 2009, 09:37
hehe.. thanks for ya patience.. i have a monitor the size of my desk and a 2nd one (everyone mocks my monitor size as being too big for my desk)

hehe yeah do you also get the why do you have a second monitor questions all the bloody time? I've got to the point where I have a post it note hanging off the second monitor that just says 'So I have a spare when I smash this one off your bonce for asking stupid questions'.

Alternatively there is too far. My boss has 6 (3 columns by 2 rows) monitors. All 24 inches @1920 by 1200 widescreen. It's impressive, if a bit OTT.

jaywalker2309
18th Sep 2009, 10:12
Hehe i wanted 3 of the one i running at 2560x1600.. then would be happy :)

Rockatansky
18th Sep 2009, 13:33
Just want to clarify if you have the latest NVIDIA PhysX System Software (http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0814.html) installed.

Lanarian
18th Sep 2009, 13:47
Rockatansky, How do you find out? I have whatever was installed with the newest Nvidia drivers... How do you verify the PhysX version?

Tannedhide
18th Sep 2009, 14:02
Just want to clarify if you have the latest NVIDIA PhysX System Software (http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0814.html) installed.

Got the one that installs with the game. SInce the latest one is over a month old (14th of August), I'm gonna assume that's the one that shipped with the game and is installed during the install process. I'll double check when I get home tho.

It's been a slow day so I've got about 6 graphics drivers to try (ranging from 186.82 to 191.00). I hope our lass has saved up her soaps on the old Sky +, cos she won't be seeing me much after dinner time.

Rockatansky
18th Sep 2009, 14:11
Rockatansky, How do you find out? I have whatever was installed with the newest Nvidia drivers... How do you verify the PhysX version?

Goto NVIDIA Control Panel, click on Help at the top and select System Information.
You'll see 2 tabs Display and Components.
Select components and under 3D Settings you should see PhysX 09.09.0814

Tannedhide
18th Sep 2009, 22:09
Fixed it. Turned out it was a dodgy install on the gfx side. Uninstalled all Nvidia drivers (GFX, physx and 3D), driver sweeped the system then installed the 186.91 driver and latest physx driver. Everything seems fine now.

chriskirza
20th Sep 2009, 07:49
Fixed it. Turned out it was a dodgy install on the gfx side. Uninstalled all Nvidia drivers (GFX, physx and 3D), driver sweeped the system then installed the 186.91 driver and latest physx driver. Everything seems fine now.

have the same problem. Also have a GTX 295 card and after playing a little, graphical corruptions came up. and physx stopped working. Unistalled all Nvidia Drivers, used driver cleaner.net to clean the remaining files and installed 186.18 vista 32 driver with the latest physx software. Everything is fine now! physx and everthing else ok after 2 hours of playing (couldn't play 20 min before!) maybe the 190.62 drivers were not properly installed or corrupted. could be the CLEAN install that fixed or drivers were buggy.don't wont to try 190.62 anytime soon.

Thanks for you solution!!!:D

LordBRUNO
27th Sep 2009, 01:01
Hi. I have got the same problem. Also own GTX 295 and exact the same behavior of the problem like you described. Tryed to clean and reinstall GFX drivers. Solve the problem with messy graphic, but PhysX still stops after some play-time. The game just freeze for a couple of seconds, then it works normally, except of thy PhysX dont work. Leafs dont move, smoke dont apear, ...
Tryed 186.18 drivers, also drivers from vendor of GFX. All with the same result. little freeze, then physx OFF.
GFX temeratures are normal. Dont go beyond 80°C.

So if someone have another solution I am listening. :mad2: