PDA

View Full Version : 'Gordon Crash' - Information Request

Muggins
17th Sep 2009, 17:18
Hi everyone,

Many thanks so far for all the constructive feedback and responses from the community regarding this important issue. We are working hard to try to resolve this for you.

In this thread, I would like to ask those that have the time provide a little more information regarding their specific setup.

Which case most accurately describes your problem?

**Case A** - Game crashes when reaching the FMV where Batman meets Gordon. This particular crash in this location can currently be bypassed if PhysX is turned off.

**Case B** - Game crashes when reaching FMV where Batman meets Gordon. Crash CANNOT be bypassed with PhysX turned off.

General Questions

- What operating system are you using
- What version did you purchase (i.e. disc, Steam, other online source)
- How did you install the 1.1 patch (i.e. G4WL or some other source - please list where)
- Did you have the demo installed, is it still installed?

G4WL account questions

Is your G4WL account...
-- Brand new for Batman (i.e. no previous game assiciations, probably created recently
-- Associated to a previously existing Microsoft account (PLEASE DO NOT PASTE INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNT DETAILS) (i.e. is it linked to a Xbox Live 360 account, has this account been used sucessfully on other G4WL titles)

---------------------------------------------

Case A specific questions

- Please check the size & date of your 'Max' Files in your folder found at "\Batman Arkham Asylum\BmGame\CookedPC\Maps\PhysX\Maps\max"

[I](listed in name order, when browsing the folder)
Max_A1_C.....umap - 1,155 KB - 19/08
Max_A1_PhysX.umap - 642 KB - 19/08
Max_B1_C....umap - 61 KB - 07/08
Max_B1_PhysX.umap - 1,157 KB - 19/08
Max_B3_PhysX.umap - 2,989 KB - 07/08
Max_B4_PhysX.umap - 8,504 KB - 19/08
Max_B5_PhysX.umap - 2,151 KB - 07/08
Max_B6_PhysX.umap - 938 KB - 19/08
Max_C1_PhysX.umap - 1,127 KB - 07/08
Max_C5_PhysX.umap - 1,636 KB - 19/08
Max_C6_PhysX.umap - 1,140 KB - 07/08
Max_C8_PhysX.umap - 1,031 KB - 19/08
Max_C9_PhysX.umap - 779 KB - 19/08
Max_S3_PhysX.umap - 8,933 KB - 19/08

If your files differ from listed above, please list the differences.

Does the crash still occur when not logged into a profile with PhysX enabled?

----------------------------------------------

Case B specific questions

Does the game still crash when you do not sign in to any account (i.e. saving is disabled).
- Is your 'My Documents' folder in the default location?
- Do you have administrator rights on the account you are attempting to run the game?

------------------------------------------------------

We would appreciate it if this thread can be kept civil and as close to the original topic as possible, and again, a big thankyou for your time.

edit - please check dates of files that do not match size of those listed.
edit2 - fixed typo in filesize

Dronuk
17th Sep 2009, 18:50
Hello, i'll go first then.

Your cases sort of describe my issue....my game crashes in the cut scene just as batman says "something isn't right, i'm going with him" right at the start, second cut scene.

Now i have done some turning on and off of Physx and other things....it is only when GFWL is signed in to a live account or an offline account that that it crashes. Physx has nothing to do with my issue.

I'm using Windows Vista.
My Game was delievered by the retail shop "Game" this morning.
Patch was installed when i logged in first time by GFWL.
Demo was uninstalled a few weeks ago.

Yes i had a GFWL account already and it's linked to an xbox360 one. I use GFWL on another game or two and they work fine, infact i've been playing a game recently that uses it and it's been fine.

In short my issue is GFWL here...with that turned off and Physx turned on it works fine..

oh and i am an admin.

I use vista so my documents doesn't really exist but it should be in the right place.

GrimyGhost
17th Sep 2009, 18:57
Case A for me, does not mater if im signed into live or not, My version is Direct 2 Drive, my spec:

Vista 32bit
Core 2 Duo E8400
9800gx2
4GB Ram
Direct X10

kakarotto
17th Sep 2009, 19:29
I was having the Case B

Does the game still crash when you do not sign in to any account (i.e. saving is disabled).
- NO

Is your 'My Documents' folder in the default location?
- Nope

Do you have administrator rights on the account you are attempting to run the game?
- Yes

I just resolved this problem changin my documents folder to the default location.
But its just boring to change everytime i play it =[

mchart
17th Sep 2009, 19:37
I have Case A.

Vista 32-bit.
D2D
Obtained patch the proper way.
Did not have demo installed

My G4WL account is used for many other games besides this one.

My Max_A1_PhysX file is 666Kb instead of 642Kb.
Max_C8 is 1039Kb instead of 1031
Max_c9 is 804 instead of 779

Muggins
17th Sep 2009, 19:40
Thanks for the feedback so far.

Kakarotto - glad the method mentioned in other forums worked for you, I'm unsure as to why you would need to change it every time though (i would hope its just a 'set it once' kind of thing).

GrimyGhost - would it be possible to check the filesizes in your physX/map folder?

Dronuk - thanks for the detail, i'm hoping this will be useful.

Rockatansky
17th Sep 2009, 19:45
If you have a date for the files that are different, this will help track where they are from.

Muggins
17th Sep 2009, 19:57
Mchart - The file sizes seem to match those from the original disc (when view by browsing the disc). As you were not installing from a disc version we'll need to look into this a little more to be sure.

As Rockatansky suggests, the dates would help confim a suspision that somehow these files may not have been updated.

Are you definately on version 1.1?
thinking out loud, I wonder if we can find a way for you to be able to reinstall the patch.

ballsguy
17th Sep 2009, 20:09
Hi,

-Case A

-Vista 64-bit
-direct2drive
-GFWL patch 1.1
-uninstalled demo before installing full game

-GFWL account was new for Fallout 3, used same account for Batman
-no association with other accounts

These are quite different:

Max A1 C...1155 KB
Max A1 Physx....666
Max C8 Physx...1039
Max C9 Physx...804

-YES the crash still occurs when completely signed out of GFWL.

Muggins
17th Sep 2009, 20:18
Hi Ballsguy, can you confirm the dates of these files please?

mchart
17th Sep 2009, 20:31
Mchart - The file sizes seem to match those from the original disc (when view by browsing the disc). As you were not installing from a disc version we'll need to look into this a little more to be sure.

As Rockatansky suggests, the dates would help confim a suspision that somehow these files may not have been updated.

Are you definately on version 1.1?
thinking out loud, I wonder if we can find a way for you to be able to reinstall the patch.

I'm definatly on version 1.1. It says it in the menu. I watched the installer install. I also re-download the installer off of rapidshare and ran it again. No change. Obviously, I would be on version 1.1 if i'm able to change which level of 'PhysX' the game uses in the launcher settings window.

All the dates on my files show 9/15 which co-incides with the fact that thats when they were released for direct2drive.

I would suggest that you package all the correct 1.1 files in something simple like a .rar and let me install them manually. This way we can be sure that its not the patcher causing the issues.

And yes, FYI, the patcher was granted appropriate admin rights before it began installing.

Rockatansky
17th Sep 2009, 20:46
All the dates on my files show 9/15 which co-incides with the fact that thats when they were released for direct2drive.

Just to clarify,are you talking about the folders or the files?

Folders I can understand being dated 9/15 but the actual files should have the original creation dates.

mchart
17th Sep 2009, 20:52
Just to clarify,are you talking about the folders or the files?

Folders I can understand being dated 9/15 but the actual files should have the original creation dates.

Files definatly show 9/15.

http://www.whaleslayer.com/date.jpg

Muggins
17th Sep 2009, 20:58
please check your Private Messages mchart.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and please keep it coming. Signing off for the day here.

mchart
17th Sep 2009, 20:59
I've also looked at the files provided by Direct2Drive and the 'Max' folder files which we are talking about are an exact match to those with my Batman install w/ 1.1 'applied'. As Muggins suggested, i'm going to delete one of these files and try installing the patch again to see what happens.

mchart
17th Sep 2009, 21:03
I've just applied the patch and it appears the 'wrong' file I deleted has been replaced with the 'right' 1.1 file.

Looks like we found our issue. Can I get a complete list of the files updated with the 1.1 patch?

Rockatansky
17th Sep 2009, 21:08
I can only say that these files need to be changed at the moment, I'll try and get the complete list tomorrow from Jay when he's back in.

Max_A1_C.....umap - 1,115 KB - 19/08

Rockatansky
17th Sep 2009, 21:09
All the patch maps should be dated 19/08/2009

mchart
17th Sep 2009, 21:16
The issue has been solved. My game works with Physx on 'High' now.

Since I have Vista, I just went in a deleted everything in the Batman folder. I then applied the patch. I then chose 'Restore All' in my Trashbin and didn't overwrite any files.

Yep. The patcher wasn't patching right - Like I suspected, and thanks to Muggins and Rockatansky the issue has been solved

Thanks for the help guys. Now roll out a patcher that works!

I'm guessing the patcher your using didn't overwrite the old files with the new files since the creation date on the old files was newer. All of the patched files are in the PhysX folder, and there are some like the Shader cache in the BMEngine folder that didn't patch right either.

Well.. Now it's off to finally play the game.

Kundalor
17th Sep 2009, 21:42
Now it works for me too. Superb work Muggins, Rockatansky, Mchart
& co. :flowers:

I was subject to case A: game would freeze at the Gordon cut scene
when physx enabled, no matter whether I was logged in to Live or not.
I bought my game as a download on EB games website.

I did as mchart suggested:
I went into the batman folder, cut all the files, and pasted them into
a temporary directory. I then ran the 1.1 patch (which I found on
the bittorrent tracker mininova.org). Then I pasted all the original
files back into the batman folder, but did not overwrite any files.

Now the game works on physx set to high, and does not crash
at the Gordon cut scene, and also does not crash at the Szazs
hostage scene. Oh Yeah :cool:

Im off spending the night in front of my PC now :wave:

GrimyGhost
17th Sep 2009, 21:52
YES!!1
it works! thank god..

Muggins
17th Sep 2009, 21:54
good news! Glad to be of help for this case, we'll keep looking into other similar issues as i dont think we will have nailed this for everyone (and imho this fix is not really ideal :)).

MforMoniker
17th Sep 2009, 21:59
I am Case A;
if I turn PhysX off, I can bypass the scene

- What operating system are you using: Windows Vista 64x
- What version did you purchase (i.e. disc, Steam, other online source): Direct2Drive
- How did you install the 1.1 patch (i.e. G4WL or some other source - please list where) I used the Games Four Windows Live to apply the patch
- Did you have the demo installed, is it still installed?: I installed the demo and the pirated version. Both are uninstalled; reinstalled full game with activation key. I had a few issues with reinstallation (due to Windows Installer believing the game was still installed http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95893), but both are uninstalled and I have the live version now activated.

greenstuff_gav
17th Sep 2009, 22:06
holy dooley! Muggins, you are Das UberMensch!

now i gotta move all my documents to the C drive <_<

boogie70
17th Sep 2009, 22:37
Worked for me also...Great work all!!! I found the update on rapidshare....(search rapidshare on the forum here and you'll find the links)

Repeated same process as described, made "TEMP" directory, dumped all contents of the Batman Arkam Asylum directory into it...then ran the patch. Once complete, cut and pasted all goodies from the temp directory back without allowing overwrites...

PhysX on high setting works.....

Afro Samurai
17th Sep 2009, 22:50
When you say you moved all of your docs to a temp dir. and then ran patch.. does the patch go the original dir or the new? I assume old and then you copy the files back into original file and do not overwrite.

My game usually freezes/crashes before Gordon in the long cutscene with the joker before Gordon... anyone else had this issue and used this fix yet?

MforMoniker
17th Sep 2009, 23:18
Are you guys deleted all of the files in the Batman folder, or just the PhysX stuff in the /max folder? Please let me know.

Cheers~

mchart
17th Sep 2009, 23:27
Are you guys deleted all of the files in the Batman folder, or just the PhysX stuff in the /max folder? Please let me know.

Cheers~

It doesn't matter. Just move all the files and run the patcher. The patcher doesn't care if nothing is there as it will just write the new files. Once the new files are written move everything back and don't overwrite anything. If you overwrite anything then you would just be overwriting the new 1.1 files with the old 1.0 files. You'd end up in the same position as you started.

wekwek
18th Sep 2009, 01:27
wow thanks for this tip! btw, you guys may want to try what i did:

1. rename "Batman Arkham Asylum" folder to "Batman Arkham Asylum 2"
2. run the 1.1 patch (get it here http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95819)
3. copy every thing in the newly created "Batman Arkham Asylum" folder into "Batman Arkham Asylum 2". Overwrite EVERYTHING.
4. delete "Batman Arkham Asylum" folder
5. rename "Batman Arkham Asylum 2" back to "Batman Arkham Asylum"
6. run game and play!

badboy64
18th Sep 2009, 03:33

2. run the 1.1 patch (get it here http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95819)
3. copy every thing in the newly created "Batman Arkham Asylum" folder into "Batman Arkham Asylum 2". Overwrite EVERYTHING.
6. run game and play!
Well that worked just fine.:):):thumb: Game isn't crashing now. PhysX is working like it should now.

Afro Samurai
18th Sep 2009, 03:58
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/aaron5241/batman.png

is what mine looks like, seems like the top line is larger then normal

LightningZERO
18th Sep 2009, 04:40
It seems that most of the issue comes fron Physicx. My PC is unable to run nor do my country support LIVE, so is it ok for me not to install the patch?

Afro Samurai
18th Sep 2009, 04:50

6. run game and play!

I just did everything here and I still crash everytime I am about to meet killer croc and the first cutscene. Here is my file after i followed the instructions for the patch. Please note that not all the dates are what you posted and the top file is 40 kbs larger then yours.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/aaron5241/batman2.jpg

jaywalker2309
18th Sep 2009, 07:37
Morning guys, made a sticky.

Thanks Muggins/Rocksteady for sorting this out.. I've checked the original files from D2D master, and the dates are all correct in there, so can only guess that because the files are downloaded that somewhere along the line the dates of the files get updated as `saved` to the users HD (whereas from a disc they cant as disc is readonly) and thats the possible root of the problem.

Was it only D2D versions that had this issue? or was steam also affected?

Kundalor
18th Sep 2009, 09:42
Was it only D2D versions that had this issue? or was steam also affected?

I bought my game at EB games (GameStop). Not sure if they use
the same version as D2D. It uses Live to connect.

I had the crash issue too, but solved it using the instructions here.

Keir
18th Sep 2009, 10:28
Muggins - you sir, rock.

Dronuk
18th Sep 2009, 10:50
Nope, i still crash before i meet Gordon.

Followed your instructions to the word as well.

I'm really getting annoyed now, not been able to play since 1.30pm yesterday.

fe-man
18th Sep 2009, 14:11
will this fix the crash if you have an ATI card? or is it only for nvidia cards with physix?

Muggins
18th Sep 2009, 14:14
Just to round this thread off.

Users may experience a crash BEFORE the Batman is controllable. In these cases, the most common cause is the 'documents' folder being set to point to a physically* different location than either windows or the installation of the game (im not sure which yet).

To resolve this issue for now, you'll need to redirect your 'my document' folder to your default C drive location where the game is installed.

*i.e. partitions of the same physical drive seem to handle this just fine.

Muggins
18th Sep 2009, 14:15
will this fix the crash if you have an ATI card? or is it only for nvidia cards with physix?

The problems listed here are not specific to any particular hardware, other than your ability to turn on physx effects with a non-nvidia card may be affected.

Where is your particuar problem, or are you asking 'just in case'?

mchart
18th Sep 2009, 14:29
The easiest way to see if you need to force the patcher to update files is by looking at the Max/PhysX_A1 file or whatver it is. Pre-Patch it is 666KB in size. After patch it's smaller. So if you've applied the patch and the file still shows 666KB - Follow the fix action.

Or what for a patcher to come out that doesn't fail at life.

Afro Samurai
18th Sep 2009, 15:51
Eidos, I am on day 3 of not being able to play this game so far, getting a little pissed that I can not play at this point. As stated above I have done all the actions you have suggested, except checking on where my documents folder is at (ill try once i get home). But I can usually get killer croc and then my game freezes up. I have posted my files sizes and dates and no one has responded with any suggestions. PLEASE HELP

fe-man
18th Sep 2009, 17:20
The problems listed here are not specific to any particular hardware, other than your ability to turn on physx effects with a non-nvidia card may be affected.

Where is your particuar problem, or are you asking 'just in case'?

well im still crashing at the gorden cut scene everytime and im also crashing during the eidos logo before the main menu so half the time, i cant even get to the main menu so im not sure if the patch will fix it or not

Clum-Z-Boy
18th Sep 2009, 17:24
Hm, am I doing something wrong? I've followed the instructions as far as I could, but when I launch "setup.exe" the patcher's installer tells me that I've either not installed BAA or it cannot be found.

Muggins
18th Sep 2009, 17:37
Afro-samurai - you're crashing in a different location as the others, which is interesting. Have you been able to control batman at this point?

Longshot - when you say you followed the steps laid out by other forum members, did you swap out *all* files or only those files in the max folder? It sounds like some of your data from the rest of the installation may be faulty. I focussed on the Max folder as its small and easy to look at compared to the whole installation.

1155KB for Max_A1_CH2567_PhysX.umap is actually correct, somehow that typo slipped through. I'll edit my original text.

Can you confirm if this crash does not occur when physx is turned off?

Muggins
18th Sep 2009, 17:42
well im still crashing at the gorden cut scene everytime and im also crashing during the eidos logo before the main menu so half the time, i cant even get to the main menu so im not sure if the patch will fix it or not

I'm not entirely sure whats gone wrong here. If you cant get to the main menu it sounds like something else broke. Was it always like this, or a result of moving files about etc? What is the error you're getting at the Eidos Logo?

If you could list the details I asked for in my original post in this thread that would be useful.

Muggins
18th Sep 2009, 17:44
Hm, am I doing something wrong? I've followed the instructions as far as I could, but when I launch "setup.exe" the patcher's installer tells me that I've either not installed BAA or it cannot be found.

This sounds a bit like something that Jaycw2309 has been looking at - any luck in the other threads? Sounds like a registry problem with the installation.

fe-man
18th Sep 2009, 17:46
I'm not entirely sure whats gone wrong here. If you cant get to the main menu it sounds like something else broke. Was it always like this, or a result of moving files about etc? What is the error you're getting at the Eidos Logo?

If you could list the details I asked for in my original post in this thread that would be useful.

i just found out that if i delete the eidos logo movie file from the game's folder then i can get to the main menu no problem. i also deleted the gorden vid and i can get past that too now.

Clum-Z-Boy
18th Sep 2009, 17:53

I've figured it out. The problem was that I have several HDDs, and I had installed BAA on one I dedicate to games. I uninstalled, then re-installed it on the C drive, and everything's going smoothly now.

Afro Samurai
18th Sep 2009, 18:18
Afro-samurai - you're crashing in a different location as the others, which is interesting. Have you been able to control batman at this point?

Longshot - when you say you followed the steps laid out by other forum members, did you swap out *all* files or only those files in the max folder? It sounds like some of your data from the rest of the installation may be faulty. I focused on the Max folder as its small and easy to look at compared to the whole installation.

1155KB for Max_A1_CH2567_PhysX.umap is actually correct, somehow that typo slipped through. I'll edit my original text.

Can you confirm if this crash does not occur when physx is turned off? I tried last night with it on and I still crash when I see killer croc or around that part of the first cutscene. Is there a way to skip the whole intro and go to the first fighting scene?

I have tried with Physx off and on, I can control batman as he walks Joker to gordon. I usually get to Croc and my game crashes. What do you think about the dates of the files?

My current specs are: 680I sli, 1 9800 gt (2nd coming monday) 2.75 gbs of ddr2 ram, razor ac-1 audio card ( i have disabled card with no success), today I got my new 790i sli mobo and 4 gbs of ddr3 ram, i dont think it will change anything but who knows. I have read other people have similar specs as mine or lower able to play this game. But it could be that graphics are to much for my 9800 gt, ill try to lower the graphics to the lowest amount and report back to you.

Any other suggestions? Be nice if eidos had someone to respond to me.

mchart
18th Sep 2009, 19:32

Longshot - when you say you followed the steps laid out by other forum members, did you swap out *all* files or only those files in the max folder? It sounds like some of your data from the rest of the installation may be faulty. I focussed on the Max folder as its small and easy to look at compared to the whole installation.

Can you confirm if this crash does not occur when physx is turned off?

From what I saw the A1_CH PhysX file doesn't get patched. You have to look at the other A1 file.

Isellsigals
19th Sep 2009, 02:14
Case B:

Q. Does the game still crash when you do not sign in to any account (i.e. saving is disabled).
A. NO

Q. Is your 'My Documents' folder in the default location?
A. No, It is on a separate drive

Q. Do you have administrator rights on the account you are attempting to run the game?
A. Hell yes

my OS is Windows 7 x64, this is very annoying bug... do you guys just not beta test your games at all?

Muggins
19th Sep 2009, 03:14
temporary fix for this is to move your 'my docs' folder back to default C location, i appreciate its not ideal but it should get you past this problem.

thetonyg
19th Sep 2009, 03:18
Was having problem A since getting the game and this thread solved my issues! Thanks Muggins et. al!

Isellsigals
19th Sep 2009, 03:39
temporary fix for this is to move your 'my docs' folder back to default C location, i appreciate its not ideal but it should get you past this problem.

Unfortunatly due to the fact that the "My Documents" folder is an entire drive and I am using Windows 7 this "solution" is simply not viable.. this is a big let down as I have not been able to play the game since I bought it on release, what is taking so long for a patch?? Surely it would be very small and easy to fix......

thetonyg
19th Sep 2009, 04:49
Unfortunatly due to the fact that the "My Documents" folder is an entire drive and I am using Windows 7 this "solution" is simply not viable.. this is a big let down as I have not been able to play the game since I bought it on release, what is taking so long for a patch?? Surely it would be very small and easy to fix......

Since you're on Windows 7, you're almost certainly using an NTFS file system... if so, have you ever created a symbolic link before? If not, give it a shot -- that might get you were you need to be (although I'm not sure I entirely understand your problem or why it's a problem, so please take this with a grain or two of salt). Using a symlink, your files/directories stay where they are, but the symbolic link makes it appear that they are also in whatever location you want them to be. Symlinks can also traverse drives and even UNC paths (e.g., I could link \\myserver\videos to C:\Videos)... Check out this Wikipedia article for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

Sample syntax to create a "Batman" folder on the root of C: that really points to C:\Windows\Temp:

mklink /d c:\Batman c:\Windows\Temp

If your temp directory has any subfolders you'll note that the file system and other applications "believe" that C:\Batman is its own entity and all relative paths underneath C:\Windows\Temp also appear under C:\Batman. Hope this helps.

Isellsigals
19th Sep 2009, 05:47
Tried creating the symlink but still got the same error :/

works fine when not signed in to a profile... this need a patch.

thetonyg
19th Sep 2009, 06:14
Ugh... sorry to hear that, I was eagerly monitoring the forum to see if I had indeed accomplished my good deed for the year.

I can only speculate based on how easy the fix was to so many other problems a patch should be forthcoming soon. Good luck mate.

onikrulz
19th Sep 2009, 08:25
I'm facing a huge problem, as the solution suggested I cut and pasted entire Batman Arkham Asylum directory to another drive's temp folder, installed the title update and pasted them back (without overwriting). It made double copies of many files and now when I try to start game it gives an error. What was I supposed to keep in the temp folder and not overwrite?

betelgeus
19th Sep 2009, 09:52
how about a skip intro patch?

Muggins
19th Sep 2009, 10:50

Rather than move all your old files, you should be able to move the path for the my docs folder without moving all existing files (i've tried this with XP and Vista so far, i believe this is the same for W7 but i haven't seen for myself yet and don't have it in front of me right now). From the start menu, right click documents, properties, location. The knock on effect of this is that any new files you want to save in 'my documents' would then be in 2 possible locations and again, this is not ideal at all.

This problem seems to come up if the drive is physically different from your windows installation (or possibly the game installation, i'm not 100% sure which yet). Different partitions of the same physical drive do not seem to exhibit this problem so far.

Muggins
19th Sep 2009, 10:53
I'm facing a huge problem, as the solution suggested I cut and pasted entire Batman Arkham Asylum directory to another drive's temp folder, installed the title update and pasted them back (without overwriting). It made double copies of many files and now when I try to start game it gives an error. What was I supposed to keep in the temp folder and not overwrite?

i've not heard of this one so far, and am not sure what in windows would cause it. It would be a pretty daunting task to manually delete all 'wrong' copies. If you could post a little more information about your windows version someone reading this with more knowledge on the operating systems might be able to help.

Isellsigals
19th Sep 2009, 12:36
Any word from the devs? Are they working on a fix for this... this is GAME BREAKING for me and can't play my ******* game I purchased legitimately.

Ravenger
19th Sep 2009, 12:44
I had this problem - the game seemed hang at the Gordon cutscene, but I managed to get it going again by alt-tabbing back to the desktop and back. The cutscene then stuttered, but continued, with the audio slightly out of sync.

Isellsigals
19th Sep 2009, 15:38
Well this will be the last Eidos game that I buy. Very disappointed, haven't been able to play for 5 days now... wtf is up with that... this is a simple error to fix and I have never had an error like this in any other game before, get your heads out of your assess and fix the ******* error.

mchart
19th Sep 2009, 15:39
So when in the heck is a proper patch going to be released? THE PATCHER IS BROKEN. Hence the problems many people in this thread are/were having until a TEMPORARY fix was found.

onikrulz
19th Sep 2009, 15:52
It was nothing basically. Your solution worked muggins. My problem was that I didn't overwrite but copied both sets into the folder that's why most files had 2 copies instead of just cancelling the overwrite and selecting "Don't Copy". Now I'm past the Gordon crash, and for Eidos to know that I'm using an 8800GT 512mb and playing with Physx on High just Anti aliasing reduced to 4x to make the game smoother.

thetonyg
19th Sep 2009, 22:09
how about a skip intro patch?

From Muggins' work and what I can tell, the problem is not the intro itself... this is simple Bink video and it plays fine even after the game has crashed. The problem is related to loading the next level/map, which happens in the background during the intro/cutscene.

Mike89
20th Sep 2009, 04:48
I am also have this General Protection Fault issue.

GImage:GImage() Address=0xa11367 (filename not found)
GImage:GImage() Address=0xa00e9a (filename not found)

This whole business of moving all folders/files and installing the patch and moving files/folders back in. How about just installing the patch? Wouldn't it overwrite all necessary files?

Btw, about this patch that is posted. Is that patch for D2D versions too?

Mike89
20th Sep 2009, 07:46
OK, I'll answer my own questions. The patch posted in this forum does work for the D2D version. Just installing this patch doesn't help. Dunno why, evidently something doesn't get overwritten. Tried the other way. Renamed Batman folder, ran patch (which created the original folder again). Copied the folders/files in the patched Batman folder over to the renamed Batman folder, overwriting everything. Deleted patched Batman folder, renamed the renamed folder back over to the original Batman folder name. Worked like a charm, now I can run physx without the General Protection Fault issues. I don't know how you guys figured this out but Kudos to all of you involved in this fix.

Isellsigals
20th Sep 2009, 12:35
There better be a ******* patch for this error with the "Documents" folder tomorrow.. **** you eidos I haven't been able to play for a week now and no word on a patch?? ye? **** you

BitsOfSkin
20th Sep 2009, 12:48
Thought i'd chime in with my specific info, hopefully it'll help the devs/techs to fix some of the issues

**Case A**
Further problem is that the game crashes when i want to quit to menu, and sometimes the game hangs during random cutscenes, even with Physx disabled.
I did finish the game on easy before i patched, so i'm not in a particular hurry, but it would be nice to be able to replay on other difficulties.
WITH Physx.

Operating system is Vista x64, fully patched, newest version of GFWL, latest Nvidia drivers (190.65) and all the latest Creative sound drivers (2.18.13)

Bought the game through Direct2Drive.
Patch installed via G4WL.
Had the demo installed, via Steam, but i uninstalled prior to installing, and i thoroughly cleaned all traces of it from my disc and registry.

My G4WL account is not new, it has 2 other games (Gears of War, Fallout 3), both run fine with this account.

Differing files :

Max_A1_PhysX.umap - 666 KB - 18/09

Max_C8_PhysX.umap - 1,039 KB - 18/09
Max_C9_PhysX.umap - 804 KB - 18/09

Haven't tried to play without logging in to live yet with Physx on, i will try that later today and amend my post with that info
Further system info :

Running software :
No 3rd party firewall, only Vista's built in one
Eset Nod 32 antivirus
EVGA Precision
Logitech setpoint
Logitech G-series key profiler
Logitech LCD Manager

Hardware :

EVGA 780i Sli motherboard
Intel E8400 cpu
Kingston HyperX RAM, 2 GB
EVGA GTX275 896 MB version
EVGA 9800GT for Physx
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
Corsair 750TX PSU (750 watts)
Seagate 465 GB 16B cache SATA II HD

Haven't tried the "workaround" since i don't feel like uninstalling the game and then reinstalling and adding the patch since it would have to come from an unofficial source.
If you folks want/need any other info like dxdiag or similar diagnostics, feel free to pm me.

*Keeps fingers crossed and hopes that a fix will be found before the end of the month*

Tried the game while not signed into G4WL, with Physx on, still crashes @ the Gordon cutscene

Zoran
20th Sep 2009, 14:04
Case A.
It does not matter if I'm signed into GFWL or not or have PhysX enabled/ disabled. If PhysX is disabled then the whole "Batman walking Joker through the asylum" is slowed to a crawl until you get to the Gordan cutscene.

I had the GFWL account prior to BAA on PC with Xbox360 and used it with 007 Quantum of Solace without issue.

My version is Direct 2 Drive, my spec:

Game patched to 1.1.
Win7 Ultimate 64-Bit
DirectX 11
Core 2 Extreme X6700
GeForce GTX 280 (tried driver version 190.38 and 190.62)
4GB Ram
Intel D975BX2
Default Win7 Firewall only
PhysX Files are of correct file size.
AVG Anti-Virus

thetonyg
20th Sep 2009, 15:10
One thing that I don't think is clear (at least it was not clear to me) is that PhysX changes need to be made through the Batman Launcher, not through Nvidia Control Panel. I was making changes in Nvidia Control Panel and not seeing any benefit (in fact, seeing the slowness/crawling other people describe) until I remembered that the launcher also offered PhysX settings.

For whatever reason, if you disable PhysX for the entire system through Nvidia, but leave PhysX on for Batman, the game just crawls. Probably one of those things that the game should be able to detect and disable itself, but it doesn't.

Zoran
20th Sep 2009, 16:00
i just found out that if i delete the eidos logo movie file from the game's folder then i can get to the main menu no problem. i also deleted the gorden vid and i can get past that too now.

I found the videos (movies) folder. What is the name of the Gordon video file?
Thanks.

thetonyg
20th Sep 2009, 16:12
Zoran, if that works could you please post back?

A suggestion, if it is the videos that prevent you from playing, why not rename or move the entire folder? Once you get a savegame past the Gordon intro you can put the files back since your savegame won't try to open the Gordon file, right?

It seems counter intuitive that skipping cutscenes would make the game work for you, but who knows.

SPOOKS
20th Sep 2009, 18:10
Hi guys i have the case B problem get to gordon and then i get the crash message i got the game via Steam not any of the other retailers so how would i go about applying a patch when steam downloads the game at the current version.....basicly this game needs a serious patch and soon.

Im currently re-downloading the game and i have moved "my documents" to there default location hopefuly i should not have any further problems but i gurantee you i will be back on this forum if i do lol.

Mike89
20th Sep 2009, 19:10
I also have the "My Documents" folder in a different location. With the fix I did, it's playing now without the crashes and I did not move the "My Documents" folder back to the default location. That's just plain stupid for a game to get hung up if one moved that folder. Windows has the option to move that folder and everything that would go into that folder should get there with no problems. That's just plain bad coding if a game isn't allowing for that. Never had that issue with any of my games and I've had the "My Documents" folder moved from the day I installed the OS. Hard to believe in this day and age that game makers still think everyone installs everything in C:\Program Files or no one has moved "My Documents". Seems they still think everyone only has this one size fits all hard drive and one partition and everyone puts everything in the same place. An amazingly stupid oversight.

Isellsigals
20th Sep 2009, 21:51
Renaming the movies did not really help me, yes it managed to get past the gordon cutscene but the exact same error happens in the next cutscene so this is not a viable solution. Get your ******* heads in gear eidos and fix these ******* game breaking bugs!!! I agree totally with the poster above, just plain ******* lazy coding.

Just_An_Effigy
21st Sep 2009, 05:13
I can't even get to Gordon. Mine crashes within the first 5 seconds of the very first cutscene >_>

Windows Vista 32bit
Steam Version
Steam patched it auto for me
Never tried the demo

I've had a G4WL account for a while, works fine with all other games..

edhmelus
21st Sep 2009, 09:01
Okay so.. I crashed at the very beginning of the game, I think that is what you mean with the Gordon Crash..

I have the Same. I go past everything and am about to see how joker breaks out. Just before that you talk to Commisioner Gordon. In mid first few sentences, it breaks..

Windows Xp Media Center Edition
I bought it from the store
From a source on this server
No, the demo aint installed anymore

This is total crap.. I want to play it and cant, I ahve everything on high setting and WANT TO PLAY with PhysX because my computer is 100% more than suited for it, total crap. Eidos better bring out a howfix for this or this game really aint worth the money.

Edit: My Games for Windows Live account is brandnew just for this game (I hate games for windows live for the very reason that these games ALWAYS suck. Why? They got a Microsoft stamp, that explains all. Microsoft rather slaughter the game till it doesnt work anymore than making users happy :) )

And yeah, what we have too is a broad error massage that I am missing two files at 0xA something -_- totally stupid....

g0nzo
21st Sep 2009, 12:03
I am using Windows 7 (32 Bit) and the game crashes, when they bring Joker into the elevator and the doors close (right after the moment the "zoom" is introduced).

The game also crashes when I run the Benchmark (guy searching ssomething on the floor), but with a different error (overworld_physx).

It makes no difference if I am logged in or not or physx turned on or off.

I bought a download-version at www.gamesload.de (german shop).

edit: and the GFWL-acc is new...

maximuskain
21st Sep 2009, 15:16
Hi Guys,

I just bought the game out of Datablitz (the DVD version) and my game just keeps on crashing to desktop randomly but I can still continue the game when I click the box in Windows then it conitnues. Is there any way to fix this? I've ran update through the Windows Live update to patch 1.1. I am afraid of having corrupted save game files again because I've played this through a hacked version and my saved game stucked at 44% and the crash keeps on looping when I am in Intensive treatment and Ivy is speaking. I don't want it to happen again when I've played through my Original Copy and I'll be stucked at an area later on with the game keeps on crashing since it is a legit copy!!!!

I checked the log files on the my documents section and it seems that it keeps on crashing because of Physical and Virtual memory errors, I'm not sure if this helps. Has anybody experienced this and do you have any ideas how to resolve this? Thanks!

Isellsigals
21st Sep 2009, 16:01
What is with the terrible support here? They have known of this issue for like a week and still no word from the devs or any type of moderator.... **** you eidos this is definatly the last game of your I will buy, in future I will download your games so I don't waste my money.

Zoran
21st Sep 2009, 19:31
Zoran, if that works could you please post back?

A suggestion, if it is the videos that prevent you from playing, why not rename or move the entire folder? Once you get a savegame past the Gordon intro you can put the files back since your savegame won't try to open the Gordon file, right?

It seems counter intuitive that skipping cutscenes would make the game work for you, but who knows.

Ok. I followed these steps posted by wekwek and it solved the Gordon crash for me. It appears it is an issue with auto patch installer.

Here's the post from wekwek that worked for me.

6. run game and play!

Malcom
21st Sep 2009, 20:49
Hi guys, here is what I did so far when the game crashed an what solved the problem for me after all:

I bought the game online at Direct2Drive. I logged into my Games for Windows Live account and applied the patch to version 1.1.

Then I experienced the following error as many of you already described: In the scene when Batman talks to Gordon (after the

elevator, when it gets dark for a few secs) the game crashed back to the Windows desktop. I was not able to do anything (ie.

move as Batman).

Then I deinstalled the whole game. Installed it anew. Then I changed the "My Documents" folder from C:\ to F:\ (I have all my

games on a physically different harddisk, F:\). You change the "My Documents" folder by right clicking on My

Documents/Properties/Path. I then I did not log on to G4WL and started the game.

Now I was able to play the game in version 1.0. I played for a while till I was sure, the game made some auto saves (to bring

some content in my "new" "My Documents" folder).

Then I started the game again and applied the patch via G4WL. I hoped that after the patch I would be able to play the save game

I made - but sadly, this was not the solution: I got the same old crash to the desktop like at the beginning.

I then downloaded the file "Batman Arkham Asylum Patch 1,1" from the bittorrent site mininova. Did the procedure like it is

described earlier on (rename original batman folder, apply the bittorrent patch, recopy the original folder but leaving the

newer patch files alone).

This worked, even with the earlier save games. I also changed the "My Documents" folder to the original Windows setting (C:\).

I must say, such a nasty bug is an acomplishment in itself...

My system:

Windows Vista, 32 Bit, SP2, Swiss German version.
Batman installed as US version
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600
2 Nvidias Geforce 8800 SLIs
4 GB RAM

g0nzo
21st Sep 2009, 21:02
does not work for me :(

mclmns
21st Sep 2009, 21:08
Hey guys I'm having problem A. My files are different from the ones other people are posted. I patched with live and tryed the one from bittorrent after I was having trouble . Not really sure...

Max_A1_C...._PhysX.umap- 1,155kb
Max_A1_PhysX.umap- 666kb
Max_B1_CH...._PhysX.umap- 61kb
Max_B1_PhysX.umap- 1,157kb
Max_B3_PhysX.umap- 2,989kb
Max_B5_PhysX.umap- 2,151kb
Max_B6_PhysX.umap- 938kb
Max_C1_PhysX.umap- 1,127kb
Max_C5_PhysX.umap- 1,636kb
Max_C6_PhysX.umap- 1,140kb
Max_C8_PhysX.umap- 1,039kb
Max_C9_PhysX.umap- 804kb

(I dled from D2D)

Malcom
21st Sep 2009, 21:10
Made a little mistake in my description: I did logon to Windows for Live Games (W4LG) the first time, but I refused to apply the patch to v1.1 at the beginning.

Isellsigals
21st Sep 2009, 22:34
Eidos how about a patch for the people who can't change the "Documents" folder location like in Windows 7 where you can have multiple paths set up for the documents folder... I do not have a "documents" folder in C:\user\username because it is on a seperate disk...

Isellsigals
22nd Sep 2009, 00:29
Eidos you suck why no word on a patch?

Sagan01
22nd Sep 2009, 01:04
Hi

I am neither case A or B. Crash only occurs in initial FMV before Bats says something isnt right. Just goes balck and then to desktop.

- What operating system are you using XP32bit
- What version did you purchase (i.e. disc, Steam, other online source) Disc
- How did you install the 1.1 patch (i.e. G4WL or some other source - please list where) G4WL
- Did you have the demo installed, is it still installed?Yes, no longer installed

G4WL account questions

Is your G4WL account...
-- Brand new for Batman (i.e. no previous game assiciations, probably created recently
-- Associated to a previously existing Microsoft account (PLEASE DO NOT PASTE INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNT DETAILS) (i.e. is it linked to a Xbox Live 360 account, has this account been used sucessfully on other G4WL titles)

Associated to an existing acc

Case A specific questions

- Please check the size & date of your 'Max' Files in your folder found at "\Batman Arkham Asylum\BmGame\CookedPC\Maps\PhysX\Maps\max"

[I](listed in name order, when browsing the folder)
Max_A1_C.....umap - 1,155 KB - 19/08
Max_B1_C....umap - 61 KB - 07/08
Max_B3_PhysX.umap - 2,989 KB - 07/08
Max_B5_PhysX.umap - 2,151 KB - 07/08
Max_C1_PhysX.umap - 1,127 KB - 07/08
Max_C6_PhysX.umap - 1,140 KB - 07/08

If your files differ from listed above, please list the differences.

Does the crash still occur when not logged into a profile with PhysX enabled?

Files match above and crash only seems to happen when logged to G4WL

----------------------------------------------

Case B specific questions

Does the game still crash when you do not sign in to any account (i.e. saving is disabled). no
- Is your 'My Documents' folder in the default location? yes
- Do you have administrator rights on the account you are attempting to run the game?
yes

Its starting to get annoying that you cant save and cant skip the entrance to Arkham. Anyone got any other ideas?:mad2::mad2::mad2:

jaywalker2309
22nd Sep 2009, 07:44
Eidos how about a patch for the people who can't change the "Documents" folder location like in Windows 7 where you can have multiple paths set up for the documents folder... I do not have a "documents" folder in C:\user\username because it is on a seperate disk...

You referring to the `libraries` system Win7 uses.. There is still a documents folder if you look however.. and it still can be moved exactly the same way.

c:\users\yourname\documents is the default location for the ACTUAL documents folder, the library system can look anywhere you tell it.

I just checked all my win7 installations and they all have a folder in the user folder called documents.

This new system WILL cause confusion for a few things as some games will be coded to look for the user based folder for documents, whilst some may use the api call for documents which could lead to the library based system. Either way BOTH are configurable by the user.

As for the fix we're working on it. As soon as have any news guarenteed you'll be the first to hear about it

Isellsigals
22nd Sep 2009, 14:09
You referring to the `libraries` system Win7 uses.. There is still a documents folder if you look however.. and it still can be moved exactly the same way.

c:\users\yourname\documents is the default location for the ACTUAL documents folder, the library system can look anywhere you tell it.

I just checked all my win7 installations and they all have a folder in the user folder called documents.

This new system WILL cause confusion for a few things as some games will be coded to look for the user based folder for documents, whilst some may use the api call for documents which could lead to the library based system. Either way BOTH are configurable by the user.

As for the fix we're working on it. As soon as have any news guarenteed you'll be the first to hear about it

I appreciate your response and news that a fix is being worked on, thank you.

ksoon
22nd Sep 2009, 15:33
I got a different crash point - Game crashes after the cut-scene where Batman says ""Warden, something isn't right..."

Windows XP SP3
Purchased from Steam
1.1 patch is already the default from Steam
Demo is still installed (also from Steam)

G4WL is brand new for Batman.

The Crash goes away if I do not login to G4WL, but that means I cannot save.

UPDATE: After reading the other posts & findings, I found the solution but it really doesn't make any sense.
The solution is to restore "My Documents" to it's default location! Originally it was set to E: (a separate dedicated physical HDD)

Right-click on "My Documents" (assuming the icon is on your desktop), select Properties, click Restore Default
Voila! The crash problem is gone!

I tried again by moving "My Documents" back to my original settings which is E: as a test. Remarkable, no crash!

yongkykun
22nd Sep 2009, 20:03
Ok. I followed these steps posted by wekwek and it solved the Gordon crash for me. It appears it is an issue with auto patch installer.

6. run game and play!

I agree, I joined up just to say thanks to wekwek for the step-by-step guide. Now I can cut cloths and watch PhysX calculate those cloth simulation in real-time! Great job. Even the fogs, mists, and smokes are dynamics. Incredible game! But I watched a youtube video where Batman is shown throwing batarangs to ceramics on the floor and wall, and they are shattered in real-time, but it doesn't do that with my BAA? Anyone knows why?

jaywalker2309
23rd Sep 2009, 09:00
Hey all, those experiencing the Gordon Crash can you read/try this..

We're now hosting the patch on our site. The 1.1 patch we are hosting has exactly the same game contents as the 1.1 patch approved and available via GFWL (as well as other sources), however we believe that this patch could help digital users specifically. Steam users get updated by Steam automatically, but all other digital downloaders who have had issues should give this patch a try.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1187823&postcount=1

The Gracchan
24th Sep 2009, 02:00
I got a different crash point - Game crashes after the cut-scene where Batman says ""Warden, something isn't right..."

Windows XP SP3
Purchased from Steam
1.1 patch is already the default from Steam
Demo is still installed (also from Steam)

G4WL is brand new for Batman.

The Crash goes away if I do not login to G4WL, but that means I cannot save.

UPDATE: After reading the other posts & findings, I found the solution but it really doesn't make any sense.
The solution is to restore "My Documents" to it's default location! Originally it was set to E: (a separate dedicated physical HDD)

Right-click on "My Documents" (assuming the icon is on your desktop), select Properties, click Restore Default
Voila! The crash problem is gone!

I tried again by moving "My Documents" back to my original settings which is E: as a test. Remarkable, no crash!

I have this exact problem, with the exception that when I move My Documents back to it's original setting, it still doesn't work.
I've tried moving it to the same drive as Steam, I've even made a copy of Steam with Batman and moved it to my C drive, but still, it doesn't work.
I have Windows 7, and everything I've read seems to indicate all I need to do is restore My Documents to its default location, but that hasn't worked.

I've uninstalled the demo, and have determined that it is not PhysX that is causing the trouble, it is GFWL.

I really, really want to play this game.
Can anyone help me, please?

maximuskain
24th Sep 2009, 16:26
Dear support,

today I tried playing Batman Arkham Asylum again and I keept on crashing to desktop frequently. I am using a legit copy and I hope somebody can help me out of this mess. I've done all the driver upgrades and I was playing the game smoothly the last time, but when I tried playing tonight my game crashed. What gives? I hope somebody has an answer to this soon because its ticking me off!!!!

I bought the game so why am I experiencing this and why is it nobody answered my post for support from Eidos? I thought the main idea of spending for an orginal game is to make sure that we are given support for buying their product?

Mike89
24th Sep 2009, 18:29
I tried to contact Eidos on this issue. When they found out I bought this game from D2D, they completely divorced themselves of even hearing of any issues. They referred me to where I got the game. So then I wrote D2D on this issue (and the details I used from the fix posted here to fix it) and their first response was an automated "check this and check that" deal. I replied I'd like to talk to a real person and then got a response asking for a link to this forum about threads to this issue and links to the patch posted here. So now I'm waiting to see how much they actually research this. I'm getting the impression that this issue is way up in the clouds somewhere and I don't expect anything is going to be done about it (at least in the short term). For those waiting for a patch to fix this, I wouldn't spend much time holding your breath.

I would really suggest these problems be forwarded to where ever you got the game so they can get a record of complaints about this. They can't fix what they don't know about (or think only 1 or 2 people have the problem).

thetonyg
25th Sep 2009, 06:39

6. run game and play!

Zoran, thanks. That's what fixed the game for me as well. I credit Muggins & his thread as that was where I got my original info and seems to be the true source of the fix.

I'm playing through a second time on 'hard' difficulty now, which is really not that hard yet, as long as you can master the art of not spamming your attack button and consistently land those criticals. Gunshots sure do hurt now though, I guess Batman didn't wear his kevlar today :)

Mike89
25th Sep 2009, 18:16
D2D said they couldn't reproduce the problem. They released the 1.1 patch for D2D version of Batman.

http://www.direct2drive.com/patches/

I think this verifies that nothing is being done and those having this General Protection Fault problem are going to be stuck with it and have to rely on user created solutions as posted in this thread.

BitsOfSkin
25th Sep 2009, 19:26
@ Mike89 : http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=96538
Using that version of the 1.1 patch solved a lot of people's problems.

The Gracchan
25th Sep 2009, 22:53
@BitsOfSkin : That did not work for me, I'm afraid.

Cylux
27th Sep 2009, 11:35
I'm having the crash that others here have mentioned, where it crashes when GFWL is active at the end of the second start-up cut scene. It proceeds without GFWL active, but of course cannot save. And yes my My Documents is drive D: basically. From the error message it generates - C:/Documents and Settings/user name/~ - I'm guessing its trying to follow a VERY specific path to get to the My Documents folder in order to create the very first save file, which is causing the crash. Any fixes likely for this in the near future given that moving my My Documents folder back to default is not an option on my rig?

Edit:- Nevermind figured out a way.
For those with the same problem the way to fix it is:
1 Right click Mydocuments and enter properties, set location to default. When prompted to move files select no
2 Run batman. it SHOULD get past the cut scene and create an autosave file. at this point exit batman
3 Restore Mydocuments to your preferred location, when prompted to move files select yes.
4 In your mydocuments folder there should now be 2 folders an 'eidos' folder and a 'copy of eidos' folder, your save files are in the copy. Either transfer them over into the eidos folder or rename it and delete the original eidos folder.
5 start up batman and marvel at how your save file is brought up from your original MyDocuments. And how it autosaves from then on into the correct location.

Needless to say this process must be redone for every new profile you start. until a patch is released anyway.

Mike89
27th Sep 2009, 18:42
This problem is really a trip. I also had My Documents in a different drive. When I would turn off Physx in the game menu, the game would save fine in My Documents so that's at odds with the above post. It was only with Physx on did the crash occur. I moved My Documents back to the default location and un-installed/re-installed the game, did the Windows Live patch and still had the exact same problem. There is more to this problem that having My Documents in a different location. Only doing that fix that involved the renaming of the Batman folder, installing patch, copying Batman folder back solved the problem for me regardless of where the My Documents folder was.

Also, this problem seems to be specific to the D2D version as that version is the one the posts are referring to. I'm going to have to think twice in the future now about getting another one from there. I sure don't want to go through this again.

Cylux
28th Sep 2009, 17:22
Not sure whats going on with physx, since i've got an ATI card so enabling physx is pretty much out the window for me. My problem seems to have been just the initial save file being generated for a profile. After it had been generated in the default My Docs location I could move the my docs folder wherever and it would still find the savefile to load from, and save to, thus bypassing the problem so to speak. Needless to say I did all this AFTER farting about with the various physx patches on the off chance I was still being affected despite not enabling it.

jaywalker2309
28th Sep 2009, 18:21
This thread is just about the issues related to users having the game crash at a specific point in the game which is fixed now we believe.. The other issue related to initial save and my docs location is not related to this issue.. there is another thread about that..

The Gracchan
29th Sep 2009, 00:29
Where is that thread, please?

Is it GFWL Crash on profile and patch update Windows XP FIXED!? Because that thread seems to be about a problem installing the patch update, which I have not had a problem with.

And the solutions I've seen about setting My Documents to it's default location have not worked for me.

Isellsigals
1st Oct 2009, 00:06
I think we will never see a patch for the My Documents error.

Isellsigals
7th Oct 2009, 14:22
I think we will never see a patch for the My Documents error.

I knew we would never see this patch... yes Eidos your support sucks

bebkow
7th Oct 2009, 21:18
Zoran, Your dir rename and patch reinstall worked for me too!! I tried the other fixes but this one has me running 2-GTX275's in SLI and a GTX9800 for physx beautifully!! no lockups whatsoever, now I can play the way my hardware is supposed to play. thanks again

ibe6yoube9
8th Nov 2009, 23:14
I've had this game for well over a month and I am just now able to get it running on my Intel and nvidia PC (had to install it in the default directory). I never had a problem on my AMD and ATI PC.

I'm sorry but we shouldn't have to spend so much time troubleshooting a product we spent $50 on. This game has been out for nearly 2 months and the MAJOR bugs still exist. Unacceptable, and I will note this the next time Eidos releases another PC game.

nadnerb811
27th Nov 2009, 04:21
I'm dealing with Case B
I am using Windows XP, I bought the game through Steam, originally the patch was automatically installed when I first downloaded the game then I installed it through the Eidos website to see if it might help with my situation, I had the demo installed and it worked fine and now the demo is uninstalled and was uninstalled before I purchased the full game.
My G4WL account is brand new just for Batman.
I have not yet tried to see if the game works if I am not logged in to G4WL, because now the game freezes right at the very beginning with the Eidos logo, my My Documents folder is in the default location, and I have administrator rights.

deders
27th Nov 2009, 12:19
Remind me which one is case B?

kfsone
18th Jan 2010, 02:21
Which case most accurately describes your problem?

A crash occurs in the background when Batman meets Gordon; the FMV continues with a Windows "activity" mouse cursor showing. Alt-tabbing reveals a General Protection Fault dialog.

Operating System: Win 7 64
Game Version: D2D
Patch Install: Automatic from Windows Live
Demo Installed: No

Case B Questions

My Documents: Default location, never changed. I do have a second drive.
Game Install: Default location.
Administrator Rights: Yes.

turbojelly
27th Jan 2010, 17:59
W7 Pro 64.
Intel Core 2 Duo. 3GHz
4Gig RAM
Nvidia Gforce 9800GT 1Gig
Version: Disk
No Demo
Admin rights
Installed on "Program" drive
My Documents set to "File" drive (W7 on 100Gig partition, My Documents is 250/350Gig)

**Case B** - Game crashes when reaching FMV where Batman meets Gordon. Crash CANNOT be bypassed with PhysX turned off.

I have tried:
PhysX: Off
Graphics: Low
Sound Card (Creative): Off
Can't move "My Documents" not enough space
Logged out of GFWL
Repatch technique here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1186162#post1186162

All attempts have failed. Is there a way of moving the target of where the game saves?

Added note. I had W7 Ulitmate 32-bit beta and had no problems playing and 100%ing Batman. I just wanted to do it again.

Can anyone offer any advice?

deders
27th Jan 2010, 18:17
@turbojelly
If you had it working before I can only suggest thinking what might be different about your system now. If no one else is having problems with 7-64 then you can probably rule that out.

What things did you have installed on your old system that might be a different version now, gfx, sound, physx drivers etc.

I have my drives set up in a similar way to your's and it's caused me no issues, but i'm using Vista64 and XP32.

Are you using the patch from this forum?

turbojelly
27th Jan 2010, 19:17
@turbojelly
If you had it working before I can only suggest thinking what might be different about your system now. If no one else is having problems with 7-64 then you can probably rule that out.

What things did you have installed on your old system that might be a different version now, gfx, sound, physx drivers etc.

I have my drives set up in a similar way to your's and it's caused me no issues, but i'm using Vista64 and XP32.

Are you using the patch from this forum?

Only difference is that my drivers are 64-bit and recent. I did check all my drivers (graph, sound, chipset, etc) ad they're all up to date.

I am using the patchfrom the forum. I used the patching technique as linked in my above post.

Gonna try another fresh reinstall and patching it straight away.

Also, my GFWL account has DoW2 on it.

deders
27th Jan 2010, 19:26
same driver version numbers as your last setup?

turbojelly
27th Jan 2010, 19:54
Used: "185.81_geforce_win7_32bit_international_beta" before

Using: "196.21_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql" atm

turbojelly
27th Jan 2010, 20:36
update. Freshly installed game and still same problems.

Game freezes just after Batman says: "Something's not right. I'm going with him."

It no longer crashes if I sign out of GFWL but then I can't save.

deders
27th Jan 2010, 20:53
try the beta's, make sure you properly uninstall the current ones

turbojelly
28th Jan 2010, 17:37
Frig.

Can't remeber how to uninstall the old drivers.

I installed the beta one over the current one. Bah. Being dumb here :(

deders
28th Jan 2010, 18:59
same as you'd uninstall any other program from the control panel, you can also use driversweeper after the process to clean up any leftover files but in my recent experience the uninstaller does a decent enough job, only leaving the uninstaller files, which shouldn't interfere with other drivers.

turbojelly
29th Jan 2010, 01:03
Done it. Removed drivers. Installed the latest beta ones. Still same thing. Will only work if I'm signed out of GFWL.

I've played and completed this game on this PC withthe same setup, just the beta 32 bit w7 and now I'm running the 64 bit vers and it wont work :(

Any more suggestions?

deders
29th Jan 2010, 07:22
Interesting about g4wl, is yours updated? if so you could try complaining to microsoft's g4wl dept. If it works when you're not signed in there's a large chance it's the culprit.

turbojelly
30th Jan 2010, 14:30

Tried to do this but "c:\users\yourname" is there but the "\documents" part doesn;t exist. Tried creating a "Documents" fodler i nthere but it didn;t work.

But yes it does look like GFWL is the culprit. I even tried a trick from another game I was having problems with. About GOMplayer having issues with the audio and crashing the game but it didn;t work.

Another thing. After reading through this thread again I've reaslised that my problem isn;t like the rest.

For me, the game crashes whe nthe gameplay is supposed to start. After the 2nd cut scene you can skip (1st is driving to Arkham, 2nd is entergin Arkham) The bit where the gameplay starts and you can start controling Batman.

turbojelly
30th Jan 2010, 14:36
Foudn another thread about GFWL: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=100398

Tried reinstalling GFWL but still same problem.

turbojelly
30th Jan 2010, 22:55
Well I found another solution. Renaming the movie folder skips the movies.

I finaly got a bit of gameplay before it crashed. Now I'm crashing just after the bit where the lights go off in the lift.

I've also tried reinstalling the game on my C drive. Same thing. Changing graphic settings doesn't change a thing.

turbojelly
1st Feb 2010, 16:32
Found the fix at last.

Batman is not compatible with a 64-bit OS. End of.

deders
2nd Feb 2010, 00:05
I've played it fine all the way through on Vista64 with no crashes, It's when I play it on XP32 that it starts to crash, but the performance is better overall so i stick to XP when playing this and just hope it's not having an off day.

daredevil313
16th May 2010, 04:53
my crash is little bit different, i finished on Quinn and take the sequencer and head back to "the medical wing" to finish all the riddles there but on my way back i stucked on these

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2898/16052010055.jpg

and instead of the circle of the grapple on the edge i had these

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5964/16052010056.jpg

when i press it batman goes into the wall LITERALLY and keep flowing to nowhere AND DON'T TURNED OFF

now i have a win7 64bit and i7 1.6 GHz and 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
i got the game on disk, the patch from Gamespot and it always happens even when i turned everything off on the configuration and the files date & size are the same as you post

PS: these images is by my camera phone cause printscreen give a black pic in paint or paint shop or any program

thanks for your help

cs11
6th Jun 2010, 22:31
ok I'm having the issues listed in Case B

Yes

Is your 'My Documents' folder in the default location?
Yes

Do you have administrator rights on the account you are attempting to run the game?
Yes

I downloaded my copy from steam whenever I run the game, it crashes as soon as Harley puts her feet up, what's a Batman fan to do?

Marcus
7th Jun 2010, 09:26
It's probably worth doing the download a second time (you should be able to keep your saves) - this sounds a bit like a problem that some people have had when installing the game from older DVD drives. In their case, the issue was files not being copied properly, so maybe you have a more internetty version of that issue here?

bobgroz
19th Jun 2010, 14:50
please tell me what to do to fix this. I bought the game from direct2drive and installed it. it was patched last night when i started the game for the first time. the dates don't match the dates listed in this thread. what do i do? How do "turn games for windows live off" like dronuk said in his post (the second post in this thread). How do you turn gfwl off and still get saved games? Why don't my dates match? It says V1.1 when I start the game?

I'm lost here folks. I have the same problem dronuk has. It crashes at the start of the second scene.

Please help me. I have brain cancer. I don't see any solution in this thread. Could someone simply tell me what I have to do? I don't see what the fix is in this thread. Or how to fix it. I'm lost. My brain hurts so bad. I've been working on this all night. I can't sleep because of the brain tumor.

Please, someone have mercy on me and give me a hand. My number is 610-480-8379, I will PAY you via paypal for help.

Thank you,

bob

bobgroz
19th Jun 2010, 16:05
what do I have to do to fix this? running windows 7 64bit. files listed at beginning of thread do NOT match size and dates of my files. game came from direct2drive.

have other games using gfwl working fine (bioshock2). game works with phsyx turned off, but still crashes on exit.

don't understand this thread. what IS the fix? I see people saying "it works now" - what did you do to fix the game?

I'm lost. have a brain tumor having trouble thinking. i don't see a solution in this thread.

please call me at 610-480-8379. will give 50 dollars to your paypal account if you call me and help me out. i'm lost. can't play game. how do you play game without gfwl? the second poster in this thread said he "turned games for windows live off". How do you do that?

again 50 bucks for help. call 610-480-8369 or email me at bobby.falcon@hotmail.com

serious about the payment. I need someone with a working brain, the cancer is very painful and i can't think. please help me. i just don't see a solution in this thread.

thank you,

bob

Marcus
21st Jun 2010, 09:50
The GFWL 1.1 update does not work properly with the DirectToDrive version of the game. You should instead use the patch hosted by Eidos:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=96538

That should fix things up :)

ahmedghazi
25th Aug 2010, 03:32
my video card does not support physx . so what is the solution to fix Gordon Crash !!!!!!

namrepus7991
13th Feb 2012, 00:39
I have a case a i dont have Max_B4_PhysX.umap and Max_S3_PhysX.umap - 8,933 KB - 19/08