PDA

View Full Version : nv4_disp display driver has stopped working

AcucracK
17th Sep 2009, 03:47
Hello,

I started getting this error today after I logged into Live and got the update to 1.1

The game crashes me to desktop and says "nv4_disp display driver has stopped working" and that I need to restart. All I can do is hard boot my computer after this error happens.

This happens randomly in game, I can sometimes go for 30 minutes or before my screen freezes and this happens. Sometimes it happens within 5 minutes. I played last night for the first time for 2 hours with no problems what so ever but I had not went on Live yet and entered my CD key. This problem started today after I did.

I have all my drivers up to date and this issue never happens with any other games I play. This is a new issue isolated to just this game.

I have tried turning PhysX off and turning AA off and still had this problem.

I have the game through Steam.

Here are my specs:

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz

Memory:
2046MB RAM

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce EVGA GTX 275

Running XP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Moleculor
17th Sep 2009, 04:06
It could be anything, from a bad video card to it overheating.

AcucracK
17th Sep 2009, 04:20
" It could be anything, from a bad video card to it overheating. "

Hope not, just got the card a few weeks back and this game came with it for free.

It never has any problems running anything else maxed out like Fallout 3, Far cry 2, BF 2, Devil may cry 4, Dawn of war 2, H.A.W.X. Just to name a few of the many games I currently have installed.

I can play any of those games for hours and it doesn't overheat or crash. I also never had any problems until the latest patch installed.

I just felt the card after another crash and it's not very hot at all. My 8800gt used to run like it was an oven and I never had any problems with it.

Could it be something else?

Moleculor
17th Sep 2009, 04:54
When was the last time you updated the drivers for it, your motherboard, etc?

AcucracK
17th Sep 2009, 05:55
I reformatted my computer about a month ago, and after these problems with this game I made sure all my drivers were up to date. Vid card, audio, and motherboard. Everything was, but I even reinstalled them all just to make sure.

I just got finished running safe mode, uninstalled and re installing the video drivers, and then defraged the computer and am about to run the game again and see if that fixed anything.

lostsomething
17th Sep 2009, 05:58
Might try underclocking your video card a bit just to see if that fixes the problem.

Moleculor
17th Sep 2009, 05:59
Underclocking something is actually riskier than overclocking, as you run the risk of short circuits.

lostsomething
17th Sep 2009, 06:17
Is that so? I've done it a few times, fixed one overheating card I had.

Oh well, you can turn the fan up at least.

pleomax
17th Sep 2009, 07:08
A lot of people are reporting crashes, perhaps we just need a driver update. Mirrors edge for me would crash when i turned on physx, was perfect with it off.

jaywalker2309
17th Sep 2009, 08:05
as someone has already written these types of error reported by the driver itself is almost always down to overheating or `power supply` issues.. The game will push your card hard, so if airflow in your case isnt great could be a cause, also if your power supply is only JUST enough to power the card in idle state put under pressure could mean the card not getting a full supply of juice so crashes :(

AcucracK
17th Sep 2009, 10:57
I think it was due to over heating, I just used Ntune to force the video card fan to run at a higher speed and I am no longer getting the crashes.

jaywalker2309
17th Sep 2009, 10:59
Thats good to hear :)