PDA

View Full Version : BO2 on PC = Bad Mist Effect

Kazame
17th Sep 2009, 01:18
Just played the PC version for my first time and noticed that the mist effect is totally off. Kain just turns into a black figure, whereas in the PS2 version he ACTUALLY becomes invisible, as in you can see pretty much right through him, though you obviously get the hazy sillouette. Is there a patch or anything like that to make it look the way it was meant to? The options don't have an... option.

The_Hylden
17th Sep 2009, 08:13
I don't think so. The variations of the ports for effects are a shame, but the PS2 version for the effects is the best one, though Kain is missing his scar in this version... And there are glitches more so in the X-Box and PS2 versions than on the PC, or on the Gamecube version.

More than just a silhouette, if you notice on the PS2 version, Kain has some warping effect happening. Same thing happens with his strikes with his blades, or especially in the Berserk strikes. None of that is in the other versions. It's like a mirror/blur effect, and it's pretty cool.

Kind of along the same lines, the PC version of SR2 misses out on a lot of the same type of bluring and warping effects, unfortunately. The Pillars when they get corrupted and in forges when Raziel completes the puzzles and imbues the blade, you'll see what I mean.

Paradoks
17th Sep 2009, 11:13
Kind of along the same lines, the PC version of SR2 misses out on a lot of the same type of bluring and warping effects, unfortunately. The Pillars when they get corrupted and in forges when Raziel completes the puzzles and imbues the blade, you'll see what I mean.

I'm not sure what you mean by missing effects. I haven’t played the PS2 version, but the motion blur effects are present in the PC version (the paradox scenes, shifting between realms, underwater etc.). They are missing if your hardware can’t handle it or the game “thinks” it can’t – in this case it can still be forced with registry edit. I remember being surprised when I first noticed this after switching from GF 4MX to Rad 9800 Pro.

As for the BO2 – as far as I know there is no way to change that – the versions are simply different (I like it black better anyway :rasp:). The same way as in SR2 you can enable motion blur in registry but it only applies to jump gift animation. I guess there were some technical issues and therefore it’s “hidden”.

By the way – hello everyone and sorry for my English. :wave:

The_Hylden
17th Sep 2009, 11:37
I'm not sure what you mean by missing effects. I haven’t played the PS2 version, but the motion blur effects are present in the PC version (the paradox scenes, shifting between realms, underwater etc.). They are missing if your hardware can’t handle it or the game “thinks” it can’t – in this case it can still be forced with registry edit. I remember being surprised when I first noticed this after switching from GF 4MX to Rad 9800 Pro.

No, I don't mean those. Those are present. Specifically, the scene when The Pillars are corrupted. there's a shockwave that hits The Pillars in the PS2 version that morphs and turns everything almost a complete white, with a vibrating trail behind it -- it's pretty darn cool -- but that's left out on PC. Also, when Raziel finishes each forge puzzle, there are motion blur effects and white partical rings shooting outward that are left out on the PC in the various forges, but this is all present in the PS2 version. All other motion blur, partical, and morphing effects are basically the same -- including the fact those same partical rings I mentioned that aren't present in the forge completions are present only when using the Light Reaver and opening doors. It's an odd thing, but that's the way it was ported. I will also say I do very much believe that color in both PS2 versions of BO2 and SR2 gets a little muted on the PC, compared to the PS2. Little differences... I do miss the effects, though. The forges seem more epic when things slow on the PS2 and motion blur kicks in, and particle shockwaves ring out, or that wave of corruption at the Pillars. It added to the story.

Defiance, by contrast, was ported with all of its effects completely intact, from the soft particles and realistic sun lighting, to morphing, motion blur, Spectral crazy blur, lol -- it's all there, with the added help of so much higher rez and depth to see detail, of course.

Btw, welcome to the forums.

Kazame
18th Sep 2009, 19:11
Yeah, the higher rez is the only reason I'm playing them on PC this time around. I spent hours downloading, installing, and customizing each game to 1080p, etc. Everything runs smoothly, but each game, I find now, has its setbacks.. SR2 and BO2 like you said Hylden, and for Defiance, I need to have Full Screen Effects turned OFF. Otherwise my game lags a lot when I unleash reaver magic. This means no spectral blur, and no sword swing blur either. I'm asking myself, whats more important.. Res or FX..