PDA

View Full Version : I *love* GFWL



lostsomething
16th Sep 2009, 22:49
"There is an update for this game available, would you like to install it? Saying no will sign you out of GFWL"

I click yes.

A little blue bar appears and zips across to the last 3% or so of the bar and stops. I wait. And wait. 10 minutes pass. That little blue line is still there and not giving me the slightest indication of what it's doing or what I'm waiting on.

So I'm trying again with the game running in a window. It's looks like it's still doing the exact same thing.

Will it ever finish? Is it doing anything at all? It doesn't look like there's anything I can glean from the line than perhaps stare at it and attempt to attain spiritual enlightenment. There's not any major network activity going on, my hard drive's not doing anything, I have plenty of free space...

15 minutes have passed. Ye gods, why did you have to use bloody GFWL?

Paulley
16th Sep 2009, 22:56
ppl in here inspire me with so much confidence in regards to this Windows Live thing

Moleculor
16th Sep 2009, 23:07
GFWL always does that. In fact, WINDOWS always does that. All Microsoft products do. The first 95% of a bar finishes in two seconds, the remaining 5% takes an hour. (Times are made up.)

Just let it sit for a while.

MissChief
17th Sep 2009, 03:20
"There is an update for this game available, would you like to install it? Saying no will sign you out of GFWL"

I click yes.

A little blue bar appears and zips across to the last 3% or so of the bar and stops. I wait. And wait. 10 minutes pass. That little blue line is still there and not giving me the slightest indication of what it's doing or what I'm waiting on.

So I'm trying again with the game running in a window. It's looks like it's still doing the exact same thing.

Will it ever finish? Is it doing anything at all? It doesn't look like there's anything I can glean from the line than perhaps stare at it and attempt to attain spiritual enlightenment. There's not any major network activity going on, my hard drive's not doing anything, I have plenty of free space...

15 minutes have passed. Ye gods, why did you have to use bloody GFWL?

Windows XP? Try this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960554

Rock166
17th Sep 2009, 03:36
I have the same exact problem happening. I tried the fix posted here but it doesn't seem to have helped. Does anyone have any other ideas?

thecapedcrusader
17th Sep 2009, 03:48
Mine did same thing. Just took a while. In fact, after initially inserting CD into drive, and then installing, then the update, then signing up for GFWL, was about an hour.
Like filling up your car with gas, last dollar just C R E E P S by. But it plays like a champ!

tenth8sphere
17th Sep 2009, 04:21
They spent more time on DRM than playtesting

lostsomething
17th Sep 2009, 04:35
Yeah, I finally just turned my screen off and did something else for a few hours - when I got back there was a normal install prompt.

Still you'd think Microsoft of all people would know that people tend to get nervous when nothing's going on on the screen for an extended period of time. The blue bar is cool and vaguely tooth-paste colored and all but would it really be so hard to include a "Downloading x of y" bytes or "estimated time remaining - x" type bit of text or something?

jaywalker2309
17th Sep 2009, 07:47
The update is 277MB unfortunately Live zips to the end of the progress bar not actually showing the state of the download. This is out of our control unfortunately :(

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
17th Sep 2009, 09:32
The update is 277MB unfortunately Live zips to the end of the progress bar not actually showing the state of the download. This is out of our control unfortunately :(

If the file is SO large, it would be a better idea to let people download the patch separately. Or better:
Microsoft should also improve the GfW LIVE client - the file size should be displayed, not to mention estimated time remaining.

jaywalker2309
17th Sep 2009, 09:39
Totally agree with you that GFWL client should be much clearer etc..

As for distributing elsewhere i'd already commented to people here about this, and its being looked into.