PDA

View Full Version : Help me update my video card for this game and future games

SecretOfVampires
16th Sep 2009, 09:26
I don't just want to run batman arkham asylum, I want my new video card to laugh at it and laugh at the graphics of it and easily tear this game apart.

Geforce 8800 gts 320mb

Amd Athlon II 250 3.0 ghz dual processors

4 gigs of ram

I'm looking for a video card that can **** out the new batman game and run it ridiculously well. Right now I can only run batman arkham asylum without physx on 1920x resolution on my 25.5 inch monitor with all graphics set all the highest and very high and 2 x aa on.

And yes, my video card right now is a piece of **** when it comes to physx, I had to lower the resolution to like 1024 x resolution to have high physx actually work where the cob webs would move and tiles would break. And 1024 resolution looks like turd on my 25.5 inch screen.

I'm looking for a video card that is good and won't overheat easily, and doesn't require too much voltage or pins or whatever that other crap is. I have someone who puts my pc together but would I need alot more voltage or pins to push my pc even farther?

And I'm most likely not going to run out and buy the new video card right away since I heard that prices of video cards may be dropping in like 2-3 months for good cards. Plus, I have 0 dollars right now and am broke so I have to work for some cash.

Thank you for your help, and I hope you read all that I typed because I don't want a video card that isn't built that good and will burn up or requires me to buy expensive fans.

betelgeus
16th Sep 2009, 10:25
2xgtx 260 maybe? comparable to a 295 at half the cost.you could get a pair for under £200 these days.

they would need 250 watts by themselves tho.

jbscotchman
16th Sep 2009, 11:39
GTX 260 Core 216 is the best bang for your buck right now. I have one and it plays the game great.

SecretOfVampires
16th Sep 2009, 12:16
GTX 260 Core 216 is the best bang for your buck right now. I have one and it plays the game great.

No, I'm waiting like 2 months until the price of cards drop down. 2 months or less from now the directx 11 cards come out, which drop the price of all the current cards. I don't care about dx11, so I'll wait. I don't know... I wish I didn't always have to update my pc to play games at the highest graphics.

jbscotchman
16th Sep 2009, 12:52
Dude prices are constantly going up and down. There is no use in waiting untl DX11 cards come out. And you don't have to always update your PC to play games on the highest graphics. Make a good investment in hardware and do some research and you'll be fine for a couple years.

Lanarian
16th Sep 2009, 13:36
I highly recommend the GTX275.. Only issue to watch out for if you buy a new vid card is the power requirements (of the vid card itself). I had to install a new power supply when I got the 275. (Hint: Check the box for the 12v rail supply before you pick one... not all power supplies are the same)

SecretOfVampires
16th Sep 2009, 13:41
I highly recommend the GTX275.. Only issue to watch out for if you buy a new vid card is the power requirements (of the vid card itself). I had to install a new power supply when I got the 275. (Hint: Check the box for the 12v rail supply before you pick one... not all power supplies are the same)

You recommend it but do you know if it would work great with my amd athlon II 250 3.0 dual processor? And how much of an update is that from my geforce8800 gts 320mb card. Am I going to notice major improvements or not much at all?

pleomax
16th Sep 2009, 13:59
The gtx 285, but i don't think it's going to laugh in the face of batman arkham asylum. at 1920 and extreme physx with AA it's probably still gonna chug in certain areas.

I think you're going to want a next generation card, 300 series.

Lanarian
16th Sep 2009, 14:03
As far as your AMD, the processor will probably be a bottleneck. Meaning that you will get as much as you possibly can with that system (Your processor will be maxxed out). And as far as how much of an update from your 8800... HUGE. Any of the Nvidia 200 series vid cards would be a huge step up. I recommended the 275 due to the combination of price/performance. Most bang for the buck.

SecretOfVampires
16th Sep 2009, 14:53
The gtx 285, but i don't think it's going to laugh in the face of batman arkham asylum. at 1920 and extreme physx with AA it's probably still gonna chug in certain areas.

I think you're going to want a next generation card, 300 series.

Will those cards work with my dual processor and will my processor not hold me back? And are those cards going to be way too much money? I mean the whole point of me waiting for the new cards to come out is because the ones of the old ones get cheaper. When the 300s come out what will the price be on them? Something ridiculous like 800 or 1,000 dollars probably?