PDA

View Full Version : Is this a joke? Where are the physx ?

shevanel77
16th Sep 2009, 04:22
Alright, I've been anticipating this game for sometime like many of you. I feel let down in a way.. I read so my reviews and people saying there was going to be all this cool physx content in this game, like breakable objects, walls decaying and breaking into pieces as you play through the game and other things.

all I find is paper.. paper strown here, strown there.. big blocks of paper that can be busted into 5-6 sheets, paper on the floor and paper in the cave that can't even be broken down into sheets. In the demo you could punch the wall and pieces break off, or if you were lucky, the badguys would break the wall if you smashed them into it.. What happened to that?

You can even bust a coffee cup with a batarang.. it just bounces off..

the game looks beautiful, no doubt.. I just guess I expected more since they took "extra" time to release to implement physx.

hopefully this is a joke and a physx patch will be released because honestly... if this is how it's going to be then I shouldn't have waited and should've just got it on 360.

System specs:
Q9550 @ 3.6ghz
4 GB G.Skill Pi 1100 MHZ
GTX 275 OC
Windows 7 / 190.62 64 bit

Games runs average of 45fps on 1920x1080 all high and very high and phsyx on HIGH with full AA..

capable heart
16th Sep 2009, 04:25
The the patch to enable PhysX has already been released.

It should download automatically as a Games for Windows "Title Update."

There are several threads about it already.

shevanel77
16th Sep 2009, 04:30
I know, I'm running 1.1 as it did install a patch but what a joke. the game is still badass but more phsyx would have been better. It has no real senseof "physics" at all..

Coffee cups and wooden chairs are indestructable.. lame.

damacles
16th Sep 2009, 16:49
True, the videos showing us the PhysX in action show tiles breaking, walls breaking when you threw grunts into it. Yet none of that happens with this update. Paper flys and fog/smoke..yipee. Where is the stuff you said would be added because of PhysX?

Shaderhacker
16th Sep 2009, 17:00
Yea, I believe the PhysX engine is a real bottleneck on the hardware. To tag all the objects in the game would bring it to its knees.

betelgeus
16th Sep 2009, 19:17
when you jump on zaz the tiles break

enrogae
16th Sep 2009, 19:32
I dunno, I haven't been playing long (Just got the game today) but so far the Physx is pretty awesome to me. Are you guys running the Physx at max? Keep in mind that with Physx the high/low settings aren't usually for the quality of the Physx, but the amount of it.

I'm running a GTX 295 with a GTS250 as a dedicated Physx card, and this game is gorgeous. The Physx stuff I've seen so far is beyond any other single player game I've seen to date.

jbscotchman
16th Sep 2009, 21:27
Theres plenty of physx in the game. Sure not everything is destructible but theres plenty that is. Not to mention the scarecrow scenes where theres debris flying everywhere.

Claptovaughn
16th Sep 2009, 21:46
I dunno, I haven't been playing long (Just got the game today) but so far the Physx is pretty awesome to me. Are you guys running the Physx at max? Keep in mind that with Physx the high/low settings aren't usually for the quality of the Physx, but the amount of it.

I'm running a GTX 295 with a GTS250 as a dedicated Physx card, and this game is gorgeous. The Physx stuff I've seen so far is beyond any other single player game I've seen to date.

Care to elaborate on these Physx effects?

I seriously doubt you've played many games with physics at all if you think this game is impressive.

SecretOfVampires
16th Sep 2009, 22:50
Also, why does it take so much to run these physic effects when it doesn't do much? Tile breaking, leaves flying when you run over them, and papers flying when you run over them. Cob Wobs moving when you go past them, fans and flags moving. Red Faction Guerilla does all these physic effects and more and doesn't require a ridiculous brand new video card. I can run red faction and all its effects at 1920 x resolution and it doesn't require a super brand new video card.

Moleculor
16th Sep 2009, 23:08
Red Faction doesn't do ANYTHING like this. Red Faction doesn't have any cloth-based physics in it at all, nor volumetric fog effects.

SecretOfVampires
16th Sep 2009, 23:10
Red Faction doesn't do ANYTHING like this. Red Faction doesn't have any cloth-based physics in it at all, nor volumetric fog effects.

It has explosion effects that look better, and you can also break almost every single thing in that game. You can't even break most things in this game. Like the topic creator has said, you can't even break a coffee cup!!! Wow, whoopty doo, cloth effects that should surely eat away at your cpu and gpu... LOL What about the whole buildings crashing down and all the debris shooting everywheres in red faction?

Claptovaughn
16th Sep 2009, 23:13
I've never seen a game utilize Physx beyond the novelty of a tech demo.

Physx is, and most likely always will be, more fluff than actual content. It looks nice (when you can find it) but it's pointless. To make it worse, they've made gamers jump through loops to use it since they started. First it was the ppu, now it's exclusive to 1 of 2 main graphic manufacturers.

The developers should look at a Half Life 2 (five year old game) to see how physics can be both attractive and contributive to gameplay.

I've never seen a Physx game with respectable ragdoll physics, either. Come on, other games manage to have a ragdoll drop without eliciting laughter from me.

Moleculor
16th Sep 2009, 23:59
It has explosion effects that look better, and you can also break almost every single thing in that game. You can't even break most things in this game. Like the topic creator has said, you can't even break a coffee cup!!! Wow, whoopty doo, cloth effects that should surely eat away at your cpu and gpu... LOL What about the whole buildings crashing down and all the debris shooting everywheres in red faction?

Explosion effects are graphics, not physics. And I've seen videos of stuff breaking in that game... glass breaking looks like absolute crap. PhysX is about -pretty- breaking, not -amount- breaking.

Besides, if you could punch through every single wall in the entire game of BAA, it would destroy the gameplay experience. Just because you can't do something in BAA doesn't mean it's not possible with PhysX.

(And yes, PhsyX will remain "fluff" until game developers feel they can require PhysX capable cards in computers. This is because if PhysX WASN'T fluff, that means it alters the gameplay, and anything that alters the gameplay requires EVERYONE to have access to the technology. Since ATI is refusing to implement PhysX technology in their cards, that won't happen. Probably ever.)

capable heart
17th Sep 2009, 00:12
Explosion effects are graphics, not physics. And I've seen videos of stuff breaking in that game... glass breaking looks like absolute crap. PhysX is about -pretty- breaking, not -amount- breaking.

Besides, if you could punch through every single wall in the entire game of BAA, it would destroy the gameplay experience. Just because you can't do something in BAA doesn't mean it's not possible with PhysX.

(And yes, PhsyX will remain "fluff" until game developers feel they can require PhysX capable cards in computers. This is because if PhysX WASN'T fluff, that means it alters the gameplay, and anything that alters the gameplay requires EVERYONE to have access to the technology. Since ATI is refusing to implement PhysX technology in their cards, that won't happen. Probably ever.)

I'm sure ATI would refuse if they were asked to, but that is 100% not the reason. Nvidia owns the PhysX system, it is proprietary--they aren't going to let their competition use the hardware accelerated version of it.

Moleculor
17th Sep 2009, 00:22
No. Nvidia offered, ATI refused.

Evermind
17th Sep 2009, 00:41
I think the OP and maybe some of you other people in here are expecting way too much from PhysX.

It is implemented exactly as it was in the promo trailer and demo. Little touches here and there, like a cherry on top of an already awesome cake.

PhysX is not one of the main foci of this game, and if you try to make it one, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

shevanel77
17th Sep 2009, 08:07
I'm not bashing this game. It's great, the cloth physics and smoke are fine and dandy.. the bricks falling from the walls... swell..

BUT..

this game just feels like it's missing something... I have a GTX 275 and I run physx on high, 45 fps average.. there isn't much "realism" to the game.. (i know its a comic book game, geesh)

but I don't feel that this version is any better than the 360 version..

It would have been really cool if objects in the game actually broke.. the only thing you can move in the game are the big ass steel vents that seem to weigh as much as a piece of tin foil when "kicked"..

list of things that could break that I think would be better than billions of paper flowing around (which is cool but over used)

Walls (knock enemies into breakable walls)
cups (obv)
chairs
flower pots
desk, pc's electronic equipment..
(how the hell do xrays fall of the board by getting to close?)

guns that get knocked out of baddies hands and slide across the floors

In the demo the corners of posts or walls could be broken into pieces... not in this game.

tiles could be broken off the floor in the demo... not in this game.

I think evermind is right, if you were expecting physx to be a big part of this game then you will be let down.. as i am.

I shoulda just got this on 360 when it came out on the 25th but I really thought they were setting pc gamers up with something a little more special.. I just never thought it would be in the form of flags, paper and smoke.

shevanel77
17th Sep 2009, 08:08
the havok and the euphoria physics engine is much more realistic than the nvidia physx engine..

this is the physx I cannot wait for!~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bKphY***-M&feature=related

Rockatansky
17th Sep 2009, 09:21
The problem with the PhysX stuff is that if you have too many objects having to be drawn in an area, you will lose performance. If an object is broken, all the little pieces have to be drawn.
Has anyone tried using explosives on the breakable tiles yet? And if so, have you noticed any slowdown in performance?
There is a limit to what can be done and it has to be balanced so that the user isn't getting 10-15fps but 30+

shevanel77
18th Sep 2009, 03:14
Far cry 2 had great physx.

@rockansky.. Thats understandable, but what is not acceptable is the fact they reccomend a gtx 260 + 9800gtx for physx.. come on? Really?

Physx "high" mode is pointless

nsa1581
18th Sep 2009, 04:08
ati refused , cause they think nvidia would cripple it to run on ati cards, and they dont want to pay for license