PDA

View Full Version : how many polygons did make up croc?

betelgeus
16th Sep 2009, 02:24
how many? who won?

Kettels
16th Sep 2009, 03:34
Well for some reason i can't put the quote of Keir on here because it says its to small :confused:

Keir
"OK everyone, the results have been processed and tea has been consumed.

However, one result in particular has raised some flags and I will now conduct a stewards' inquiry. The announcement of the result and winner of this competition may be slightly delayed.

Ooooh, the drama! "

so i guess wait and see

Moleculor
16th Sep 2009, 04:17
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95401&page=10

capable heart
16th Sep 2009, 04:21
Wouldn't it be easy for someone to just rip the model out of the PC demo and have their 3D modelling program count exactly how many polys?

Buck7
16th Sep 2009, 05:02
Wouldn't it be easy for someone to just rip the model out of the PC demo and have their 3D modelling program count exactly how many polys?

i was thinking about the same thing

hopefully not tho
good luck to everyone who participated and congratz to whomever won the contest

Nemesis296
16th Sep 2009, 13:59

I was thinking that someone had to have guessed it right on the nose or they wouldn't have cared...

pleomax
16th Sep 2009, 14:08
Do you think someone has guessed it exactly, because to be honest that would be very fishy.

The winner has to be the nearest.

jammy2232
16th Sep 2009, 16:39
I am guessing that one of 2 things has happened.

1) someone may have guessed correctly - bang on the money
2) or the winning account may be in doubt.

I am really eager to know myself. I think that 1 is more likely as telling the answer may enable all of us to figure out the identity of the person in question.

I may be wrong though.

betelgeus
16th Sep 2009, 19:30
if they did some work to get the correct figure good on them,im more interested in the actual number,why should eidos care. it costs,what 2 dollars to produce and post a copy.

GraphixDee
16th Sep 2009, 19:42
Small pint:
1. Winners will be notified within 52 days of closing date by e-mail or Private Message on http://forum.eidosgames.com. 2. A list of winners, including names and country, will be available within 6 weeks of competition closing. These can be obtained by sending a Stamped Addressed Envelope to the Promoter (see 9 below). 3. Eidos Interactive Limited accept no responsibility for entries/prizes lost or distorted in transmission. 4. There is no cash alternative to the prizes. 5. Eidos Interactive Limited reserves the right to substitute prizes with others of at least equivalent value. 6. Competition not open to employees of Eidos Interactive Limited, their agents and suppliers. 7. The Promoter's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered in to. 8. No purchase necessary. 9. The competition promoter is Eidos Interactive Ltd, Wimbledon Bridge House, 1 Hartfield Road, Wimbledon, London, SW19 3RU.

We won't know until 6 weeks has passed. Unless the winner decides to post on the forums.

Tzzantaru
16th Sep 2009, 19:53
52 days or 6 weeks is almost the same thing..any way.way to go eidos , it takes you almost 2 months to declare a winner.what you hopeing?that in this time everyone else buys it and the future winner will already have a paid copy of it?and won't have what to do with the disc he won....

GraphixDee
16th Sep 2009, 20:38
52 days or 6 weeks is almost the same thing..any way.way to go eidos , it takes you almost 2 months to declare a winner.what you hopeing?that in this time everyone else buys it and the future winner will already have a paid copy of it?and won't have what to do with the disc he won....

Geezz.. talk about being ungrateful. :hmm:

The Coca Cola Company
16th Sep 2009, 22:03

Keyword: "within"

graviongr
16th Sep 2009, 23:42
I hope that even if someone was clever enough to somehow load up the model and get a completely accurate polygon count, then that person would still be eligible to win. Sounds like a great idea to me.

As for my guess, I read somewhere the Marcus Fenix model in Gears of War had 15,000 polygon's and thought it looked pretty good, so I just decided to up my guess for this game since it's newer, and arrived at 16,660. (I hope my guess is right on the money but I'm not holding my breath).

How did other people arrive at their guess?

jtr7
17th Sep 2009, 02:15
A person who used software to get the number would be automatically disqualified for cheating, since it would not be a "guess" in any sense of the word.

Inzane
17th Sep 2009, 02:17
A person who used software to get the number would be automatically disqualified for cheating, since it would not be a "guess" in any sense of the word.

Thats pretty crappy someone would do that.

matches81
17th Sep 2009, 05:29

Uhm.... what if the model isn't even in the demo? I'd consider that pretty likely, as you don't fight Croc in the demo and the advertisement at the end of the demo should be a prerendered trailer. Anyhow, there is a leaked version of the game around on the web somewhere... so, that would be possible, I guess. I'd assume there are more than enough tools available for extracting Unreal Engine data by now.

jammy2232
17th Sep 2009, 06:17
I just randomly guessed. I hope we find out soon. I am more interested in knowing how close I actually was.

Cirap
17th Sep 2009, 09:58
I hope that even if someone was clever enough to somehow load up the model and get a completely accurate polygon count, then that person would still be eligible to win. Sounds like a great idea to me.

As for my guess, I read somewhere the Marcus Fenix model in Gears of War had 15,000 polygon's and thought it looked pretty good, so I just decided to up my guess for this game since it's newer, and arrived at 16,660. (I hope my guess is right on the money but I'm not holding my breath).

How did other people arrive at their guess?

I looked at the previous competition, which was "how many polygons does the chandelier consist of", looked how the chandelier looked, then watched a video of killer crock and then I made a wild guess based on that

Keir
17th Sep 2009, 10:04
Research is ongoing.

I'll post the result and the winner soonish.

William
17th Sep 2009, 10:42
Research is ongoing.

I'll post the result and the winner soonish.

Glad to hear. This contest has been very suspenseful.
I think in podcast 6 the guy said killer croc was about 20,000 so I just based my guess on that.

Keir
17th Sep 2009, 17:16
The issue was... someone got it right on the nose. So I did some research to check it was all above board, which I'm satisfied it is so I'll go and post in the comp thread to confirm the winner and correct answer now.

Cruis.In
17th Sep 2009, 17:20
you havent posted yet.

pleomax
17th Sep 2009, 17:31
How can you guess it exactly, i mean it could have been anything.

Was it an inside job ? ( that's a joke ).

Someone from rocksteady probably tipped one of their mates off ( another joke ).

Nemesis296
17th Sep 2009, 17:31
The issue was... someone got it right on the nose. So I did some research to check it was all above board, which I'm satisfied it is so I'll go and post in the comp thread to confirm the winner and correct answer now.

Wow...I like how the guy said "around 20940..." and got it on the nose...I personally think the guy cheated.

arezina
17th Sep 2009, 18:48
Bullseye!!!

Should include some "plus" to the prize... perhaps a working Batrang

capable heart
17th Sep 2009, 19:35
Uhm.... what if the model isn't even in the demo? I'd consider that pretty likely, as you don't fight Croc in the demo and the advertisement at the end of the demo should be a prerendered trailer. Anyhow, there is a leaked version of the game around on the web somewhere... so, that would be possible, I guess. I'd assume there are more than enough tools available for extracting Unreal Engine data by now.

The model is in the PC demo (and the 360 and PS3 demos both also). Did you even play the demo?

pleomax
18th Sep 2009, 04:33
In the trophy section of the demo theirs a great 3d model of croc, i wanted it to be harley.

xerious3d
18th Sep 2009, 18:10
Well one thing that confused me was, was it polygons as in faces or did they mean triangles?
because 20,094 polygons/faces = 40,188 triangles
Or was it 20,094 Triangles? And if so, geez 94 polygon difference with in those numbers and guessed it right? Lucky or ripped it out of a buffer or how ever they do it now a days.

capable heart
19th Sep 2009, 00:35
Well one thing that confused me was, was it polygons as in faces or did they mean triangles?
because 20,094 polygons/faces = 40,188 triangles
Or was it 20,094 Triangles? And if so, geez 94 polygon difference with in those numbers and guessed it right? Lucky or ripped it out of a buffer or how ever they do it now a days.

20,940 not 20,094.

Also, in a podcast they said it was about 20,000 polys. That would give someone a clue to guess from. Also, there's nothing in the stated rules of the contest that forbids ripping the model--unless you want to read into the meaning of the word "guess."

I would assume they actually meant "triangles" because they are referring specifically to the in-game model, but unless someone wants to rip the model I can't be positive.

betelgeus
19th Sep 2009, 09:48
aww i was 61 out