PDA

View Full Version : Game Crashes

Clum-Z-Boy
15th Sep 2009, 20:15
So I download BAA from Direct-2-Drive, update it, update my drivers as well, and I start playing. Everything is going fine, until the cutscene where Batman first encounters Gordon. It freezes for a little while, then resumes. But once it runs its course, it freezes on its final frame (the Joker gloating), and will not proceed to gameplay.

Upon minimizing the game, this is the error message I discovered:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/CyberShark/Untitled.jpg

If anyone has an idea how to fix this troublesome issue, I'd really appreciate it.

koldune
15th Sep 2009, 20:35
I get the exact same error at the same place with the exact same GImage Adress numbers. The game works for me when I turn PhysX off. Problem is I am running it on a GeForce 8800gt 512mb card which should support PhysX according to the game's readme:

"Acceleration is supported on all NVIDIA CUDA enabled processors with at least 256MB local memory and 32 bit processors."

And according to Nvidia's site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html

Eidos tech support is telling me that the 8800GT does not support Physx... even though several on these boards have attested to running the game with Physx just fine with that card. So yea... looks like this is my last Eidos purchase too.

Thanks, Eidos, for the Physx gimmick to sell us new Nvidia cards.

GrimyGhost
15th Sep 2009, 20:38
same error here to:mad2:

mchart
15th Sep 2009, 20:39
So I download BAA from Direct-2-Drive, update it, update my drivers as well, and I start playing. Everything is going fine, until the cutscene where Batman first encounters Gordon. It freezes for a little while, then resumes. But once it runs its course, it freezes on its final frame (the Joker gloating), and will not proceed to gameplay.

Upon minimizing the game, this is the error message I discovered:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/CyberShark/Untitled.jpg

If anyone has an idea how to fix this troublesome issue, I'd really appreciate it.

Yep. My game is also crashing at the first cut-scene where you see Gordon. I also made a thread. I also downloaded from direct2drive. Right now going to attempt to download a retail ISO of the game floating around on the internet and see if it works instead. I'm thinking maybe the direct2drive version is corrupt or something. However, I'm doubtful.

I should note that for me, the game stutters once right before batman begins talking, then right when he's on like the first sentence of him talking thats when the game freezes and I get the same error. It almost seems like there is a file or something missing from the direct2drive release.

Clum-Z-Boy
15th Sep 2009, 20:44
Haven't tried it with PhysX off, and unfortunately I won't be able to before I get back from college.

I know that a 9800GTX (which I have) is below the recommended specs for PhysX, but I remember running the demo just fine with it, so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to play the full game with the feature enabled.

And let's not be too hasty with jumping down the dev's (or Eidos') throats; this stuff happens. ;)

GrimyGhost
15th Sep 2009, 20:49
Yep. My game is also crashing at the first cut-scene where you see Gordon. I also made a thread. I also downloaded from direct2drive. Right now going to attempt to download a retail ISO of the game floating around on the internet and see if it works instead. I'm thinking maybe the direct2drive version is corrupt or something. However, I'm doubtful.

I should note that for me, the game stutters once right before batman begins talking, then right when he's on like the first sentence of him talking thats when the game freezes and I get the same error. It almost seems like there is a file or something missing from the direct2drive release.

same spot for me.... i use 9800gx2 and could handle physx on high on the demo... this game is getting annoying, a delay for something i think is great and then it does not work..

gclhoutx
15th Sep 2009, 20:51
Here's the link to Physx supported video cards http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_gpus.html That other link you provided was for Cuda. Even still im not sure why someone at Edios told you the 8800 GT does not support PhysX. Clearly shows on that Nvidia link its supported for PhsyX. Unless there was some issues developing I imagine they would have put something in the installation readme file if that particular card has problems.

Clum-Z-Boy
15th Sep 2009, 20:55
From what I gather, every one of us that has had this exact same issue, has a 8 or 9 series card?

If so, at least that's a starting point in identifying what's wrong.

koldune
15th Sep 2009, 20:57
Here is the reply I got from Eidos:

A Geforce 8800 GT may technically support PhysX but it is a long way underneath the ‘recommended’ specs that the game asks for.

Ideally you need a card two whole generations newer than your 8800, and have two of them working independently for the Physx to work properly at high settings.

This is fine. But if the card is supported, just not recommend, the game should run slow not crash. Also, it would not be so bad if there was the option of software acceleration like we got in the Demo.

It sucks that we got to see tiles breaking and fog in the Demo but not in the full version.

tenth8sphere
15th Sep 2009, 21:16
Here is the reply I got from Eidos:

This is fine. But if the card is supported, just not recommend, the game should run slow not crash. Also, it would not be so bad if there was the option of software acceleration like we got in the Demo.

It sucks that we got to see tiles breaking and fog in the Demo but not in the full version.

From reading other posts, I find it highly unlikely the crash is a result of the card. People with a variety of cards seem to be having the exact same issue. I have actually been waiting to buy the game to see if anything happened like this. It's the same reason I don't update my PS3 firmware for 24 hours to see if there are problems.

IMO that email from Eidos is entirely unhelpful. People who could run the demo fine now can't run the game. Makes me reeeeeaaaaal nervous. I'm hoping Eidos is silent on the issue because it's being fixed. Problems happen, that's how it goes, but if that email ends up being their response to everyone, that seems a little scuzzy.

boogie70
15th Sep 2009, 21:16
GTX280 card same exact error, same exact point...In contact with Eidos support, so far nothing to make it work....

Updated video/audio drivers reinstalled directx...tried XP compatible mode the whole nine, so far no go....

Girlybutts
15th Sep 2009, 21:25
I got the same error message, but I get it as soon as I hit play.

boogie70
15th Sep 2009, 21:30
Just tried again with PhysX "OFF" and it worked...got past the point we're all getting...Going to try to get to next "autosave" position, reenable PhysX and see what happens....

GrimyGhost
15th Sep 2009, 21:32
Just tried again with PhysX "OFF" and it worked...got past the point we're all getting...Going to try to get to next "autosave" position, reenable PhysX and see what happens....

good thinking, however.. we should NOT have to do that, and will be waiting for the next crash and i bet there will be another one..

gclhoutx
15th Sep 2009, 21:38
Hmmm, Just curious those that are crashing. Do you all only have one video card or utilizing SLI? I'm still waiting for UPS to deliver mine but just trying to think what could be causing the crash. Considering Jay mentioned in this post http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95826 enabling High PhsyX would require at least 2 video cards.

GrimyGhost
15th Sep 2009, 21:43
yeh but it should not crash, the fps would be bad but not a crash... my 988gx2 ran the demo fine on high.

boogie70
15th Sep 2009, 21:46
Totally agree Ghost!!! I just got back...going to try on "Low PhysX" see what happens..per gclhoutx's post...single card....post in a bit...

GrimyGhost
15th Sep 2009, 21:49
tryed it just then, crashs when i load back up at a later checkpoint with physx on load of map... funny thing is the challange modes work fine.

mchart
15th Sep 2009, 21:51
I have two GTX260's in SLI. SLI is running while in game, as is 'High' PhysX. The game benchmark, and the part where you are basically just walking through the prison run absolutely flawlessly. It's only when that cutscene starts playing that the crash happens. Which is kind of weird, it's a cutscene.. Why would the benchmark and seemingly everything else run fine but not a Cutscene where nothing is even going on. I guess the next level is loading during the cutscene and there is some missing file.

Is this issue only happening to us folks who bought the game off Direct2Drive? Or everyone? My download of a retail ISO is still going, and i'd rather not waste my time downloading it if people with the normal retail game are also having the same issue.

GrimyGhost
15th Sep 2009, 21:57
same here mate.... this is stupid, i fill like i have been rippedd off... plus were not getting any support.

Girlybutts
15th Sep 2009, 22:02
Is this issue only happening to us folks who bought the game off Direct2Drive? Or everyone? My download of a retail ISO is still going, and i'd rather not waste my time downloading it if people with the normal retail game are also having the same issue.

I bought it at GameStop. Same issue.

Also, it never asked me for my authentication code. O_o

mchart
15th Sep 2009, 22:03
I bought it at GameStop. Same issue.

Also, it never asked me for my authentication code. O_o

You are probably logged into LIVE in offline mode. Bring up the live menu and login. It should then ask you for the code.

And thanks, I guess i'll cancel this download if it's not just happening to the Direct2Drive folks.

Good to know at least that this is a widespread issue and an issue with the game itself. I've tried different version drivers and still receive the same issue. Hopefully we get a hotfix here soon.

koldune
15th Sep 2009, 22:22
Turning PhysX off and proceeding to a later save point then turning PhysX on back to normal seems to fix the crash issue we have been experiencing here. The game runs fine with PhysX on my 8800GT card from that point forward (benchmarking also works fine).

I am, however, worried that it will start to crash again at a later point in the game if the devs don't get to fixing this obvious software bug.

boogie70
15th Sep 2009, 22:28
Like Koldune ran fine with PhysX off...ran fine with PhysX on after that cutscene.... I've been dealing with a decent support guy at Eidos who claims he's forwarded all this info to the devs to see what's going on...Hopefully he's being truthful and we'll see a fix...

Specs are posted for those wondering, what and where purchased...If I find anything or hear any good news from Eidos I'll post....

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Intel Quad Core CPU
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX280 1GB RAM
Purchased via D2D

betelgeus
15th Sep 2009, 22:35
play the game with physx set at normal,as it says high need a 260 card minimum,8800 is a very weak card by todays standards,probably a 260 is still weak.

betelgeus
15th Sep 2009, 22:38
why do people have 8gb of ram?

boogie70
15th Sep 2009, 22:41
why do people have 8gb of ram?

Gotta great deal on it...won't have to upgrade for quite a while....lol

betelgeus
15th Sep 2009, 22:43
20 years probably,but a good deal is a good deal

the ps3 runs this on what? 512mb ?

mchart
15th Sep 2009, 22:45
play the game with physx set at normal,as it says high need a 260 card minimum,8800 is a very weak card by todays standards,probably a 260 is still weak.

This has nothing to do with the bug we are having when pertained to this thread.

betelgeus
15th Sep 2009, 22:47
well i got the same crash only by setting physx to high

GrimyGhost
15th Sep 2009, 22:50
i think we all in this thread get the crash with any phyx setting other that off, but the strange thing is it works all the way from the start until the cutscene with Gordan... and it crashs about 4 seconds into it.

koldune
15th Sep 2009, 22:51
I noticed that I only get that crash in Secure Holding Cells area when I have PhysX on (normal or high doesn't matter). When I had to go back to that area later in the game to investigate it, the game crashed again with the same error (GImage() Address=0xa11367) until I turned PhysX back off.

It looks like that specific area is calling for a GImage object that the game is missing when PhysX is turned on.

NOTE: The Secure Holding Cells area is the beginning area with the Gordon cutscene.

GrimyGhost
15th Sep 2009, 22:58
yep thats the area, did everyone here download the patch from another source other than LIVE? i did because the speed on my LIVE is bad, real bad....

koldune
15th Sep 2009, 23:05
Nope. Downloaded from Live.

GrimyGhost
15th Sep 2009, 23:07
good so that cant be the reason then... damn this is a wierd one..

mchart
15th Sep 2009, 23:07
good so that cant be the reason then... damn this is a wierd one..

It's not weird at all. There is a bug in that area of the game and it needs to be fixed. We are screwed until then.

GrimyGhost
15th Sep 2009, 23:09
it is wierd because theres people who can play it fine with physx, maybe its just Direct to Drive

mchart
15th Sep 2009, 23:10
it is wierd because theres people who can play it fine with physx, maybe its just Direct to Drive

There is another post who stated he is using the normal retail game sold in stores and having the same exact issue.

GrimyGhost
15th Sep 2009, 23:12
makes you wounder why the delayed release when its so obvious they have not been working on physx and play testing it, it doesn't take long to see the crash... its the first 10mins..

tenth8sphere
15th Sep 2009, 23:18
makes you wounder why the delayed release when its so obvious they have not been working on physx and play testing it, it doesn't take long to see the crash... its the first 10mins..

PhysX may not be working. But I think we can all be happy about all the DRM that got stuffed into it. I mean, you and I may not be able to use PhysX, but at least we're not some pirate that has to download a small file to make the grappling hook work. Am I right?

SteMot
15th Sep 2009, 23:22

I think it's obvious that the guy on here who said he saw multiple copies of the game shrink wrapped way back in August was telling the truth. It's pretty apparent the delay was to do with not taking sales from the console versions.

Isellsigals
16th Sep 2009, 00:41
I just bought this game today and can not even play it... thanks eidos.

In the second cutscene where the warden is being introduced I get a crash every time on that... even with and without physx enabled these are the error messages I got:

Without Physx:

General protection fault!

History: ?INT?Version.ID.Unreal? ?INT?Version.ID.Local? FMOD: 42200/42200 Game

GetOutermost() Address = 0x731315 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Binaries\ShippingPC-BmGame.exe]
GetStackOwnerClass() Address = 0x1778417 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Binaries\ShippingPC-BmGame.exe]
GetStackOwnerClass() Address = 0x17787aa (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Binaries\ShippingPC-BmGame.exe]
GetStackOwnerClass() Address = 0x1780899 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Binaries\ShippingPC-BmGame.exe]
GetStackOwnerClass() Address = 0x176a8de (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Binaries\ShippingPC-BmGame.exe]
Address = 0x5aa252 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Binaries\ShippingPC-BmGame.exe]

With Physx:

General protection fault!

History: QA_APPROVED_BUILD_OCTOBER_2008 177051 19-08-2009 13:45.35 FMOD: 42200/42200 Game

GetOutermost() Address = 0x731975 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Binaries\ShippingPC-BmGame.exe]
GetStackOwnerClass() Address = 0x177db27 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Binaries\ShippingPC-BmGame.exe]
GetStackOwnerClass() Address = 0x177deba (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Binaries\ShippingPC-BmGame.exe]
GetStackOwnerClass() Address = 0x1786659 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Binaries\ShippingPC-BmGame.exe]
GetStackOwnerClass() Address = 0x17705de (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Binaries\ShippingPC-BmGame.exe]
Address = 0x5aaad2 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Binaries\ShippingPC-BmGame.exe]

I'm also running the v1.1 patch and Windows 7 x64.. I'm very disappointed in Eidos to say the least.

mchart
16th Sep 2009, 02:02
Just wanted to report back and say that after a re-install and turning PhysX off the game does indeed run without crashing. However, turning PhysX back on in the setup launcher gives the same crash. Really makes me mad, considering that this game was delayed for said feature and the game obviously wasn't put through the appropriate level of QC. I mean seriously, a crash of this scale on the first level? If I keep 'High' PhysX on and run the benchmark the game runs flawlessly with all the extra eye-candy.

It would really be nice if we could get some official word that this issue is being looked at. It's obviously a wide-spread bug.

tenth8sphere
16th Sep 2009, 02:19
Just wanted to report back and say that after a re-install and turning PhysX off the game does indeed run without crashing. However, turning PhysX back on in the setup launcher gives the same crash. Really makes me mad, considering that this game was delayed for said feature and the game obviously wasn't put through the appropriate level of QC. I mean seriously, a crash of this scale on the first level? If I keep 'High' PhysX on and run the benchmark the game runs flawlessly with all the extra eye-candy.

It would really be nice if we could get some official word that this issue is being looked at. It's obviously a wide-spread bug.

I keep waiting to see an official Eidos comment here. Either they're busting their humps to fix it, or they just don't care now that they have your $$$. I saw one email someone posted when they just blamed his graphics card even though it clearly wasn't the issue.

Well, glad I waited to buy it. Pretty freaking outrageous. Absent a comment from Eidos I think some of you purchasers probably owe it to others to submit your problems to Kotaku and some reviews sites like Amazon. I'd be PISSED if I paid for this.

But, still crossing my fingers that maybe they're working really hard on it. One wonders why they won't comment though.

mchart
16th Sep 2009, 02:26
Wanted to report back again and say i've tried a number of things to resolve the issue but the only way to temp. fix it is by turning off PhysX in the settings page.

A.) Tried 186.18, and various 190 drivers - All show the same problem.
B.) Forced Batman to run in Single-GPU mode and not SLI - Same issue.
C.) Tried rolling back to the older PhysX runtime included with the installer - Same problem.

The only thing I haven't done is physically turn off SLI on my entire system which could potentially fix the issue. However, i'm not about to do this as turning on/off SLI on the entire system is a time-consuming process. (It doesn't easily turn on/off.)

So i'd have to say this issue is definatly not caused by specific configurations or a specfic driver or anything of that nature. There is obviously some piece of code that isn't running right when PhysX is turned on in the game.

koldune
16th Sep 2009, 02:34
The fix, for now (for me), has been to turn off PhysX in Setup for the first Holding Cell part of the game (the very beginning). Then turn it back on and play. Then turn it off when you have to go back to Holding Cell to investigate some stuff later. Then turn it on after you leave that area again.

Hopefully Eidos will fix the Holding Cell area bug (and whatever other areas that I haven't been to that may have this bug).

It's definitely an image object in the Holding Cell area, because I could be standing in the corridor outside of Holding Cell and then only crash with PhysX on when I turn Batman to look in the direction of the Holding Cell area.

ballsguy
16th Sep 2009, 03:49
I'll chime in as well.

I had been quite eagerly awaiting this game for about a month's time.

I'm having the exact same issue as you guys - the game works fine without Physx, the game does NOT work with physx on normal or high. I am using 64-bit Vista. Is this a 64-bit issue, or are 32-bit users experiencing this as well?

It crashes anytime you load a save game (as far I can tell) with Physx on, and it crashes after that first cut scene (with Gordon).

It's incredingly irritating that we had to wait for the supposed Physx addition and now that is what is stopping us from playing the game. I dilike paying money for products that do not even work.

I'll go play RE5 PC and wait for Eidos to fix this mess.

Some system info: Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair Dominator 1066, Asus Maximus Formula 1 mobo, GTX 295, Vista 64-bit

mchart
16th Sep 2009, 03:51
I'm running Vista 32-bit. So it has nothing to do with that.

Isellsigals
16th Sep 2009, 04:41
Still can not get past this "General Protection Fault" on the second cutscene..

one way around it, it seems is to rename the "102_Warden_intro.bik" so that it completely misses this and goes into the game, not very convenient though... so I have no idea why it is only crashing during cut-scenes

-edit- it just crashed with the same error in the next cut-scene, actual in game was fine for the 5mins it worked.. defiantly some problem with the .bik files!

Calliah
16th Sep 2009, 13:06
Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this error. I thought something was going screwy with my computer. Of course, I'm not glad that this seems to be a software issue related to the game itself. My case is not unique, however, I do have some information that may be relevant.

My cousin and I both bought and built the same computer from scratch, which meets the recommended specs for this game. Here are the specs:

ECS A780GM-A Ultra Motherboard
Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz Processor
G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 (2x2gb)
9600GT PCI-e card w/1gb memory

Both of us are using SATA drives. Mine errors out (on the same spot, with the stuttering Gordon in the second cutscene), and his does not. There are two differences between our two computers, however.

1. He runs Windows Vista, and I run Windows XP (both 32-bit). I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this issue or not.

2. When he started the game, he was never prompted to update the gamel; I was. He is running Arkham Asylum Version 1.0, and I'm running 1.1. I get the NVIDIA splash screen on mine (right after the Unreal Technology splash screen), but he doesn't. In his settings, he doesn't even have the option to change the settings for the Hardware Accelerated Physx.

I'm just guessing that it might have something to do with this update?

On a side note, we both bought our games via Direct2Drive.

I haven't tried it with Physx turned off, but I will later this evening, once I get home from work.

Good luck to those who are having this issue, as well. Just want to play this game. The demo was absolutely amazing. (We both had our Physx settings on High in the demo, btw, no issues, but it was a tad slow).

jaywalker2309
16th Sep 2009, 13:29
Are people updating their sound card drivers too? The game has an intensive audio engine too, supporting up to 9.1 channel surround sound (yes there is a 9.1)

The Direct2Drive version should be identical to all other digital masters so shouldnt be related to that.

If he didnt sign into live then he wouldnt have been offered the update

Be very interested to hear if its okay with physx disabled

Calliah
16th Sep 2009, 13:40
Are people updating their sound card drivers too? The game has an intensive audio engine too, supporting up to 9.1 channel surround sound (yes there is a 9.1)

The Direct2Drive version should be identical to all other digital masters so shouldnt be related to that.

Ok. I had a buddy of mine go over to my place this morning to try it out, without the Physx turned on. It worked perfectly, right through the cut scene and all. Seems to be an issue with that, for sure. He used a Live account, but did it offline, so there was no update offered to him.

As for the audio drivers, my cousin's and mine are both updated (as well as all video drivers, dual core support drivers, etc). I made sure we both keep on top of that, since we enjoy gaming immensely.

jaywalker2309
16th Sep 2009, 13:43
Ok. I had a buddy of mine go over to my place this morning to try it out, without the Physx turned on. It worked perfectly, right through the cut scene and all. Seems to be an issue with that, for sure. He used a Live account, but did it offline, so there was no update offered to him.

As for the audio drivers, my cousin's and mine are both updated (as well as all video drivers, dual core support drivers, etc). I made sure we both keep on top of that, since we enjoy gaming immensely.

Okay thanks for the update..

ballsguy
16th Sep 2009, 14:03
Hmm, question for everyone here: Are you running quad core or dual core?

It may sound unrelated, but Fallout 3 had that issue with insta-freeze inside small rooms for just about everybody with a Q6600 (had to force engine to use only 2 threads, via ini, to make it playable).

Just a thought.

koldune
16th Sep 2009, 14:05
Yes, it's definitely the PhysX. Specifically it has something to do with a PhysX object in the Holding Cells area (the very first area where you meet Gordon). This is also the area for the first Challenge map.

Turning off PhysX for just that area lets you move on in the game, at which point you can turn PhysX back on. Of course the game crashes whenever you need to return to the Holding Cells area.

koldune
16th Sep 2009, 14:16
UPDATE:

The same crash occurs with PhysX on when entering the "Upper Corridor" area in the Arkham Medical Facility. By "same crash" I mean I get the same exact numbers in the error as I did in the Holding Cells area:

GImage:GImage() Address=0xa11367 (filename not found)
GImage:GImage() Address=0xa00e9a (filename not found)

And once again, turning PhysX off for that area fixes the problem.

Isellsigals
16th Sep 2009, 14:18
Disabling physx for me doesn't solve this issue.... it crashes in the second cutscene.. and upon removing that cutscene the same thing happens.. im running latest audio and gfx drivers... this only happens in cutscenes as in game it ran fine for the 5 mins until the next cutscene!!!! This is really pissing me off because I just wasted alot of money...

Intel core i7
6gb ddr3 1600mhz
XFX 4890
it is a Realtek on-board sound, however even disabling this card in device manager and restarting doesn't fix this issue... I'm going to look in Shipping-BMGame.exe in a dissembler and look up those addresses....

mchart
16th Sep 2009, 14:36

This crash has nothing to do with audio drivers. As disabling my soundcard had no effect. The crash is fixed when PhysX is disabled. If you read every single other post in this thread you would have seen that. Can we get an official update that this problem is being worked on? It's obviously an issue relating to shaders / whatever that are loaded with PhysX enabled in that area of the game.

mchart
16th Sep 2009, 14:38
Disabling physx for me doesn't solve this issue.... it crashes in the second cutscene.. and upon removing that cutscene the same thing happens.. im running latest audio and gfx drivers... this only happens in cutscenes as in game it ran fine for the 5 mins until the next cutscene!!!! This is really pissing me off because I just wasted alot of money...

Intel core i7
6gb ddr3 1600mhz
XFX 4890
it is a Realtek on-board sound, however even disabling this card in device manager and restarting doesn't fix this issue... I'm going to look in Shipping-BMGame.exe in a dissembler and look up those addresses....

Your issue is probably different. The issue in this thread has to do with the level where you first meet Gordon. The reason it's crashing during the cut-scene is because thats when this level loads. Once again, turning off PhysX solves the issue.

ballsguy
16th Sep 2009, 14:41
Your issue is probably different. The issue in this thread has to do with the level where you first meet Gordon. The reason it's crashing during the cut-scene is because thats when this level loads. Once again, turning off PhysX solves the issue.
Maybe its doing something wierd with your 6gb ddr3 ram, and/or the whole i7 x58 platform being a little unstable due to its novelty.

mchart
16th Sep 2009, 14:44
Let me once again make this clear to anyone reading this thread that this issue is not a problem related to any of these things -

A.) Not a problem with SLI. Users with single cards are also having the issue, and I turned off SLI and the issue still happens.
B.) Not an issue with the PhysX runtime. I've re-installed them multiple times, and even rolled back to the ones included with the retail release.
C.) Not an issue with Driver versions. I've tried numerous versions - All present the same issue.
D.) Not an issue related to OS version. People with XP, and Vista 32 or 64-bit have said they have the issue.
E.) Not an issue related to 'out of memory' or anything of the nature.
F.) Not an issue related to soundcard drivers or soundcard in use. Disabling all my soundcard and onboard sound has no effect with the crash.
G.) Not an issue related to any other settings available for the game. I've tried numerous different settings.

The issue is soley to do with turning PhysX ON for the game. This means the 'Normal' or 'High' option. Turning PhysX 'Off' solves the issue.

There should be no more confusion. Now please, let us know you are working on the issue or at least acknowledge that you need to go and fix the gamecode.

My system is -
E8400
750i SLI motherboard
4GB of DDR2
2 GTX260 192's in SLI
Vista 32-Bit.
Realtek Audio (Which I know there have been issues with Realtek. However, ONCE AGAIN, disabling the On-Board audio in Device Manage, effectively removing it from my system still allows the crash to happen when PhysX is turned 'ON'. With PhysX 'OFF' the Issue does not happen. So I highly doubt this is the cause of the issue. Pretty sure other people with other sound cards are having it to anyways.)

jaywalker2309
16th Sep 2009, 14:52
Can you browse to your game folder then to the bmgame\cookedpc\Maps folder and right click on the physx folder and select `properties` and tell me the number of files and file size in bytes (size not size on disc as this will differ depending on HD options).

koldune
16th Sep 2009, 15:15
jaycw2309:

71 files, 9 folders and 144,062,331 bytes

jaywalker2309
16th Sep 2009, 15:40
Okie this is interesting i get slightly different results.. 71 files 9 folders, 144,006,865 bytes

I get the following by folder within Physx/maps
Admin - 30,517,601
Cave - 5,554,416
Cells - 14,622,079
Garden - 12,488,617
Max - 33,008,909
Medical - 34,914,049
Overworld - 7,200,334
Visitor - 5,700,860

ballsguy
16th Sep 2009, 15:40
jaycw2309:

I concur; exactly the same.

deders
16th Sep 2009, 16:01
Jaycw2309,
I have exactly the same problem and my folder sizes are all the same size as yours

AMD64x2@3000
Nforce590
4GB
2x9800GTX+
X-FI

koldune
16th Sep 2009, 16:02
Total: 144,062,331 bytes

My folders:

Admin - 30,517,564 bytes
Cave - 5,552,149 bytes
Cells - 14,622,022 bytes
Garden - 12,488,527 bytes
Max - 33,067,657 bytes
Medical - 34,914,049 bytes **
Overworld - 7,199,503 bytes
Visitor - 5,700,860 bytes **

** It seems like all of our folders except for Medical and Visitor differ by a few bytes. Oddly, however, Visitor and Medical are the two places that I've had crashes so far when the PhysX is turned on.

jaywalker2309
16th Sep 2009, 16:08
Hm could be a strange corruption on the download?

Visitor -

Visitor_b1_physx.umap - 5,697,720
Vistor_c1_physx.umap - 3,140
Date time - 7th August 2009 6:58am (remember to allow for timezone differences which could affect time shown but will be within +/- 12 hours in theory..

Crash logs - hey guys can you check in your `my docs\eidos\batman\bmgame\logs folder if there are any dump files there when you crash?

Calliah
16th Sep 2009, 16:11
jaycw2309:

Same for me, as well.

As for the individual folders, they differ from your sizes, jaycw:

Admin - 30,517,564
Cave - 5,552,149
Cells - 14,622,022
Garden - 12,488,527
Max - 33,067,657
Medical - 34,914,049
Overworld - 7,199,503
Visitor - 5,700,860

(These are not sizes on disk; just size)

jaywalker2309
16th Sep 2009, 16:23
Same for me, as well.

As for the individual folders, they differ from your sizes, jaycw:

Admin - 30,517,564
Cave - 5,552,149
Cells - 14,622,022
Garden - 12,488,527
Max - 33,067,657
Medical - 34,914,049
Overworld - 7,199,503
Visitor - 5,700,860

(These are not sizes on disk; just size)

look same to me, or did u just copy mine out? :)

Oh as for the crash dumps apparently the outputting to that folder isnt a 100% guarentee sometimes it doesnt report the file :)

koldune
16th Sep 2009, 16:23
Note how Calliah and I have the same sizes for each folder, but differ from jaycee.

koldune
16th Sep 2009, 16:24
jaycee,

look same to me, or did u just copy mine out?

Actually Calliah's are the same as mine, but different from yours. Take a look again. All of our Visitor and Medical are the same, but Calliah and I differ from you on all else.

koldune
16th Sep 2009, 16:27
crash logs- I have a .dmp file for every crash.

koldune
16th Sep 2009, 16:32
Also, I don't think it was a corrupted download because someone else on this thread said that they got their patch from somewhere other than Live, I got mine from Live.

jaywalker2309
16th Sep 2009, 16:51
Koldune - do you think you could find a way to upload these somewhere and PM me the link?

mchart
16th Sep 2009, 17:00
Okie this is interesting i get slightly different results.. 71 files 9 folders, 144,006,865 bytes

Admin - 30,517,601
Cave - 5,554,416
Cells - 14,622,079
Garden - 12,488,617
Max - 33,008,909
Medical - 34,914,049
Overworld - 7,200,334
Visitor - 5,700,860

There is definatly a problem with the 1.1 patch then and it's installing corrupted files.

My Cells folder is 14,622,022 in size.

I got the 1.1 patch over LIVE and it seemed to install correctly. Sounds like you guys need to re-release it or do something because it's not installing right for a lot of people. This would explain why the game is crashing like this.

After looking at the rest of the files as well, most of the folders seem to be slightly smaller in size. My Visitor folder is the same as yours, however.

So yeah. This is why we release patches to the public abroad via sites like Fileshack. It sounds like LIVE isn't downloading the patch correctly.

Any ETA on when we can expect a hotfix for us users experiancing this corrupt 1.1 patch problem? At least we've figured out the issue is. Now give us a fix.

mchart
16th Sep 2009, 17:08
http://www.whaleslayer.com/crash.rar

Here is my crash log.

However, we have discovered more then likely what the issue is at this point. Maybe this will help more though.

Anyways, please get a hotfix out by the end of today. I'd really like to play this game, and it seems like a load of fun. However, not being able to play with PhysX on sucks. Even more so because I have the hardware to run it.

jaywalker2309
16th Sep 2009, 17:09
http://www.whaleslayer.com/crash.rar

Here is my crash log.

However, we have discovered more then likely what the issue is at this point. Maybe this will help more though.

Ta for this.. passing onto dev guys now..

I am outta here for the day guys am afraid tho :(

Amourdezombi
16th Sep 2009, 17:17
There is definatly a problem with the 1.1 patch then and it's installing corrupted files.

My Cells folder is 14,622,022 in size.

I got the 1.1 patch over LIVE and it seemed to install correctly. Sounds like you guys need to re-release it or do something because it's not installing right for a lot of people. This would explain why the game is crashing like this.

After looking at the rest of the files as well, most of the folders seem to be slightly smaller in size. My Visitor folder is the same as yours, however.

So yeah. This is why we release patches to the public abroad via sites like Fileshack. It sounds like LIVE isn't downloading the patch correctly.

Any ETA on when we can expect a hotfix for us users experiancing this corrupt 1.1 patch problem? At least we've figured out the issue is. Now give us a fix.

Not quite. My sizes match Jaycw2309's exactly, as do deders', and I still experience both the Gordon crash and the medical facility crash. So, differing sizes are not the root of the problem (or, at least, not the only problem).

System:
i7 920
12GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
EVGA 260 GTX
Windows 7 x64

mchart
16th Sep 2009, 17:19
Not quite. My sizes match Jaycw2309's exactly, as do deders', and I still experience both the Gordon crash and the medical facility crash. So, differing sizes are not the root of the problem (or, at least, not the only problem).

System:
i7 920
12GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
EVGA 260 GTX
Windows 7 x64

Interesting. Maybe they are just different sizes because the difference of OS or something.

Either way, we know we have a problem. And hopefully the devs are trying to fix it.

mchart
16th Sep 2009, 17:36
http://www.whaleslayer.com/crashlog.jpg

For the sake of more info, here is the error message I receive when the game crashes. The .dmp file probably contained this, but here it is anyways.

koldune
16th Sep 2009, 20:11
That is my error message exactly, including those exact Address #s

boogie70
16th Sep 2009, 20:18
Same file size as Jay...same errors with PhysX turned on...C.Bruno in support has passed all info to devs as of yesterday.....no response as of yet....1:17pm PST...

GrimyGhost
16th Sep 2009, 23:49
same here too...

tenth8sphere
17th Sep 2009, 00:18
I'm not sure how I feel about the 2 hr a day support being offered by the devs. Basically it's 2 days since launch, with a major problem with the Gordon glitch, and all he's done is have people copy/paste directories.

Ace Antilles
17th Sep 2009, 01:14
I'm not sure how I feel about the 2 hr a day support being offered by the devs. Basically it's 2 days since launch, with a major problem with the Gordon glitch, and all he's done is have people copy/paste directories.

Eidos work on UK time so there will be a lot of gaps in responses to people in other countries.
Jay left after 6pm which is a lot later than a lot of companies work so I think he stayed to help out.

I feel everyones pain but i'm sure they are working on it asap. If a patch is coming to fix anything I doubt it's something they can whip up quickly anyway.

Hey I might be in the same boat as you 2moro and change my tune! :lmao: But at least we're getting some mod replies unlike a lot of Forums.

Zagadka
17th Sep 2009, 01:53
Same prob, way later in the game. Pretty obvious that something got screwed up in the PhysX 1.1 patch. It especially doesn't seem to like doors opening.

/sit and wait for patch

wekwek
17th Sep 2009, 02:20
i've got the same problem as the other guys here in this post. hopefully this gets resolved soon. i don't want to play this game w/o physx. that would suck coz i replaced my 4870x2with a gtx 295 for games like this.

ballsguy
17th Sep 2009, 03:03
i've got the same problem as the other guys here in this post. hopefully this gets resolved soon. i don't want to play this game w/o physx. that would suck coz i replaced my 4870x2with a gtx 295 for games like this.

Yeah, made the exact same swap as you. For physx, but also for nVidia AA working in deferred renderers.

Gonna wait it out till the fix and start anew.

jaywalker2309
17th Sep 2009, 07:14

I get in at 8am.. and work thru til 6 every day.. oh and as a note i am not actually employed by Eidos to do this, i do it cos i am a techy guy who knows a lot about games and pc's in general. Sorry i wasnt online at 1am (altho i have been known to be online til 3am in the past etc)

Not everyone is having the glitch so thats what am trying to work out is where people are getting their versions from, ie steam, d2d, disc based etc..

tenth8sphere
17th Sep 2009, 07:39
I get in at 8am.. and work thru til 6 every day.. oh and as a note i am not actually employed by Eidos to do this, i do it cos i am a techy guy who knows a lot about games and pc's in general. Sorry i wasnt online at 1am (altho i have been known to be online til 3am in the past etc)

Not everyone is having the glitch so thats what am trying to work out is where people are getting their versions from, ie steam, d2d, disc based etc..

Jaycw, I wasn't trying to single you out. Obviously you're the main (only?) official support being offered on the forums at the moment. My point isn't to critique your efforts so much as to note that it's disturbing there isn't more going on. I'm holding off on the purchase at the moment because I wanted to see if it launched smoothly. Multiplats are always iffy on the PC version. Now there's the Gordon Glitch which at least a fair number of people are having - all the exact same circumstances. And it's almost 3 days from launch with nothing significant having been done about it.

I'm thrilled you're here doing *anything* to try and fix it. I'm just concerned that it appears at the moment all that's being offered by Eidos is 2 hours of replies and that's it (and you're apparently not working for Eidos - but you have the Dev's ears?).

Anyways, it wasn't a shot at you. It was a shot at a major glitch and nigh silence from the manufacturer on fixing it. I continue to look forward to the game, but am probably going to just pack it in and wait until a major patch is released. I would be :mad2: if I had bought it launch day and was one of these people.

jaywalker2309
17th Sep 2009, 07:57
I do work for Eidos, just my job is not forums person, i am mastering manager :)

Hopefully we can find a resolution as quickly as possible. It doesnt seem to be affecting everyone which is a blessing but also a pain, as when its not a 100% guarenteed issue its sometimes not easy to fix especially not without possibly breaking something for those who work fine already.

gclhoutx
17th Sep 2009, 08:17
Man, sorta like finding a needle in a haystack I reckon. I'm one of the fortunate ones that didn't experience any of the crashes that everyone in this thread is posting. Mine played through the entire game with no problems, except for the occasional low FPS due to my system though.

Not sure if there's anything I can do to help. I did notice that everything in my PhsyX folder were the same size as yours Jay (71 Files, 9 Folders 144,006,865 bytes). I also have a retail disc version with the "Dem Bones" if that makes any difference, compared to the download version.

Admin: (30,517,601 bytes) 12 Files
Cave: (5,554,416 bytes) 9 Files
Cells: (14,622,079 bytes) 7 Files
Garden: (12,488,617 bytes) 9 Files
Max: (33,008,909 bytes) 14 Files
Medical: (34,914,049 bytes) 13 Files
Outerworld: (7,200,334 bytes) 5 Files
Visitor: (5,700,860 bytes) 2 Files

jaywalker2309
17th Sep 2009, 09:00
Man, sorta like finding a needle in a haystack I reckon. I'm one of the fortunate ones that didn't experience any of the crashes that everyone in this thread is posting. Mine played through the entire game with no problems, except for the occasional low FPS due to my system though.

Not sure if there's anything I can do to help. I did notice that everything in my PhsyX folder were the same size as yours Jay (71 Files, 9 Folders 144,006,865 bytes). I also have a retail disc version with the "Dem Bones" if that makes any difference, compared to the download version.

Admin: (30,517,601 bytes) 12 Files
Cave: (5,554,416 bytes) 9 Files
Cells: (14,622,079 bytes) 7 Files
Garden: (12,488,617 bytes) 9 Files
Max: (33,008,909 bytes) 14 Files
Medical: (34,914,049 bytes) 13 Files
Outerworld: (7,200,334 bytes) 5 Files
Visitor: (5,700,860 bytes) 2 Files

Interesting thanks for that..

Keir
17th Sep 2009, 10:57

Hiya - sorry to hear you're a bit in the dark on the tech support front.

I want to reassure you (and everyone) that this issue is in hand. A number of Rocksteady guys are all over this forum and are very aware of issues that are being reported.

I just got an email from a couple of guys from the studio who want it to be known that although this is a complex issue it is being dealt with as a priority and will be resolved as soon as possible.

I've now got this on my list and will chase it up, posting back here with updates as and when I get them.

If you have any more questions or need clarification on anything please drop me a PM because I can't always answer every thread.

(Oh and a big hand for jaycw2309 for being awesome)

mchart
17th Sep 2009, 12:32
Hiya - sorry to hear you're a bit in the dark on the tech support front.

I want to reassure you (and everyone) that this issue is in hand. A number of Rocksteady guys are all over this forum and are very aware of issues that are being reported.

I just got an email from a couple of guys from the studio who want it to be known that although this is a complex issue it is being dealt with as a priority and will be resolved as soon as possible.

I've now got this on my list and will chase it up, posting back here with updates as and when I get them.

If you have any more questions or need clarification on anything please drop me a PM because I can't always answer every thread.

(Oh and a big hand for jaycw2309 for being awesome)

Thanks for the info. If you guys need anymore crash dump files let us know. I got an entire folder full of them relating to this issue.

Dronuk
17th Sep 2009, 14:18
Hello, new to the forums, only signed up to keep track of this issue.

I'm using Vista, I have an NVIDIA card (8800gtx) and even with physx turned off my game crashes just before you meet Gordon in the cut scene.

I bought the game from "Game" it was delievered this morning, installed fine, patch from GFWL installed fine....but now i get this.

I do not get what the issue is, if i turn Physx off and it still won't work, maybe it's not Physx?

Help.

Dronuk
17th Sep 2009, 14:31
Guys it's not PhysX!

It's Windows live...

I can play the game with Physx turned on and everything but windows live is off, as soon as that's turned on, i get kicked out of the cutscene and game crashes.

jaywalker2309
17th Sep 2009, 14:36
Mchart - can you try now signed into Live.. see if you get past the point you having issues?

Dronuk
17th Sep 2009, 14:53
Just in case you missed the other thread J

It doesn't work with an offline profile or being signed into live.

It does work when you are not signed in to anything.

mchart
17th Sep 2009, 16:08
Mchart - can you try now signed into Live.. see if you get past the point you having issues?

It crashes when i'm signed into LIVE - Which I need to be to play the game anyways. I don't see how not signing in and playing would fix this crash - As it's obviously related to PhysX.

jaywalker2309
17th Sep 2009, 16:13
Its just something to try and narrow down the issue.. Would appreciate if you could try it not signed into Live..

GrimyGhost
17th Sep 2009, 16:14
you cant save without live rite?

mchart
17th Sep 2009, 16:15
Its just something to try and narrow down the issue.. Would appreciate if you could try it not signed into Live..

I will when I have more time. That would require me to play through that entire intro sequence first which is quite long. Right now I have my save game at the point where the game crashes. So I can easily just start up the game and load up the save and try different things to see if it works or not. Signing out of LIVE doesn't let me do that.

However, once again, I don't see how LIVE would have any effect with PhysX being turned on and crashing the game.

jaywalker2309
17th Sep 2009, 16:18
mchart - appreciate its slow going but we're seeing a lot of people saying that issues `dont occur` when not signed into live, so would be good to just confirm that your issue isnt a Live related one.. totally appreciate if you are too busy etc

GrimyGhost
17th Sep 2009, 16:24
just tried without signing in, same crash same spot...

Kundalor
17th Sep 2009, 16:33
I just tried the game without being signed in to Live.
Unfortunately, I still get the same error when I enable
PhysX. Game crashes on the cutscene with Gordon,
getting the General Protection Fault.
However, oddly when I am signed out from Live,
the game somehow manages to play through the
whole cutscene, eventhough it has stopped responding
to my mouse or keyboard. At the end of the cutscene
I am thrown back into desktop.
When I was signed in to Live, I was thrown back to
desktop after 7-8 seconds into the cutscene. So even-
though the error still persists, it seems to behave slightly
different depending on whether I am signed in to Live or
not.

In addition, I would like topoint out that there are more places
where the game crashes the same way.
I have tried turning PhysX off, and then proceeded to the
next check point. I then enabled physx again, and
the game crashes when I am about to open the door
that leads to the Zsasz hostage scene.

jaywalker2309
17th Sep 2009, 16:37
K, genuinely do appreciate all your help in reporting back to me what you are finding.

Dronuk
17th Sep 2009, 16:53
I just played through the whole cut scene and some of the content, beat the first guy joker introduces you too, ugly hunch back guy.

This was with live off and physx on.

i turned live on to see if i could save and it instantly returns you to desktop. No saving.

Isileo
17th Sep 2009, 17:45
I kind of have the same problem. Installed late Tuesday night and played Wednesday in the afternoon. No problems.

I started playing again later and I had a slight problem in the Medical center. The sound started stuttering bad, I was about to kill one of the guys and I thought that his gun got stuck going off and ran away. Killed the another guy with the stuttering still going on and then it stopped. There was no crash.

Then I got to the medical center in the X Ray room and it crashed every time until I turned PhysX off. With PhysX off I got through it fine. I have .dmp files as well for every crash AND I'm running Windows XP Pro 32.

Nvidia GTX 285
4Gb Ram
ASUS M4A79xtd evo MB
AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor

gclhoutx
17th Sep 2009, 20:32
I just played through the whole cut scene and some of the content, beat the first guy joker introduces you too, ugly hunch back guy.

This was with live off and physx on.

i turned live on to see if i could save and it instantly returns you to desktop. No saving.

Not sure if this is gonna help but I noticed on the readme file that the installation is supposed to modify your firewall ports for the game. I did however have to go into my Norton Internet Security and add these three rules for LIVE to work.

Excerpt From Readme file:
=================================
2.4 Firewall and Required Ports

When you Install Batman: Arkham Asylum the installation process will automatically add the game to the list of exceptions for Windows Firewall. This is required to allow the user full access to Games For Windows - LIVE.
The following ports are required to be opened to use Games For Windows – LIVE.

* TCP port 80 (Internet)
* TCP port 443 (Sign In)
* TCP port 3074 (Content Download)

To get the most up to date list of ports required for Games for Windows - LIVE go to http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Support/Pages/internetConnectionIssues.aspx.

=================================

http://www.gcldesigns.com/images/GFWL.jpg
http://www.gcldesigns.com/images/GFWL1.jpg
http://www.gcldesigns.com/images/GFWL2.jpg

Gregs2k2
17th Sep 2009, 21:05
Hey all. Just got Bats today 1 day early today, thanks to Play.com. I too have had a few crash to desktop issues when enabling PhysX. See the attached image for details.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/gregs2k2/bats_crash.jpg

I was deliberating whether the PhysX performance hit was actually worth it. I have a fairly decent rig, yet high PhysX settings yield noticeable perfomance hits in certain parts of the game. Damn shame, as the demo ran beautifully maxed out @ 1920x1080 :( The framerates are playable, but not amazing when I turn off anti-aliasing.

My rig spec is:

Intel i7 920 Quad Core @ stock speeds
3GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator RAM
Auzen Prelude X-Fi 7.1 Soundcard
Nvidia BFG GTX 295
Windows XP Home w/SP3

All the latest drivers and the 1.1 game update.

Hope the devs can fix this up. Beautiful game though.

mchart
17th Sep 2009, 21:21
A fix has been found. The 1.1 patcher wasn't updating right. View the other thread for a temp. fix or just wait until later tonight / tommarrow when they roll out a proper patch.

boogie70
17th Sep 2009, 22:34
Other thread here

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=96034

Isileo
18th Sep 2009, 03:16
I'm getting file not found errors now just like Gregs2k2. At least it's not BSOD and a complete crash.

Dungeoncrawler
19th Sep 2009, 20:24
Hey gents. I get this protection error upon startup. I cannot even get into the game period. The funny thing is, if I reinstall the game and then update via gfwl, I still get a 'your gpu drivers are outdated' but the game will run. Once I quit and try to start again I get the protection fault error. So, to recap I cannot even start the game without getting a protection fault error.

bbb
19th Sep 2009, 21:48
Dungeoncrawler - update your NVIDIA drivers as a first step. There are known instabilities with the older drivers which is why it's advising you to update. :)

Dephrone
24th Sep 2009, 12:26
We still crash with batman which spoil a lot the pleasure to play this fantastic game.

I reinstalled Xp Pro, flashed the Bios , installed the latest Nvidia driver (which isn't necessary the best thing to do ^.~ ). try PhysX On or Off The games randomly crashes (freeze and hard reset needed, back to Windows and send the error's file to Eidos or Nv4_disp in infinite loop) [Even updated the power supply to 850W]

Then I modified the Nvidia's 3D settings through the control panel, still the same , seems a little bit less often. But when you die and the Pnj is mocking at you it often crash there.

Also when you are switching from the game to the map look for the riddle and back to the game. it often freeze and a hard reset is required as you can't come back on the desk for closing the game.

But I still claims that Batman Arkham Asylum is one of the best release of those last decade

maximuskain
24th Sep 2009, 16:39
I also get crash to desktop issues when i tried playing the game today though when I played around 2 days ago, I didn't encounter this issue. I updated my sound card driver and the installed directx from the DVD and my previous game was working smoothly.

Today when i started playing I encountered crash to desktop again. I checked the logs and I encountered this:

Log: Log file open, 09/24/09 23:48:59
Log: Virtual memory allocation size: 0.00 MByte (0 Bytes)
Log: Physical memory allocation size: 0.00 MByte (0 Bytes)
Log: Virtual memory allocation size: 0.00 MByte (0 Bytes)
Log: Physical memory allocation size: 0.00 MByte (0 Bytes)
Log: Closing by request
Log: Log file closed, 09/24/09 23:49:45

I'm not sure if it means anything but I hope somebody can tell me how I can fix this becuase I am going nuts since I play in bed using my 360 now I have to sit in front of my computer and click the Batman tab whenever I crash to get back in the game, its very annoying.

maximuskain
24th Sep 2009, 16:40
By the way I am using Vista 32. I already changed my Virtual memory to 4987MB opened to virtual memory.

jaywalker2309
24th Sep 2009, 17:04
You shouldnt need to change virtual memory if you have 2+ gb ram. actually manually changing these settings sometimes causes more problems then it helps.. the log file just states what its doing, doesnt mean that its the cause, everyones log file will state the same thing.

When you crash are you in game somewhere specific?

maximuskain
24th Sep 2009, 17:31
Nope, I just crash randomly. Here are some of the specifics to my machine:

Vista 32 SP2
4GB Mem
Palit GTX260 GPU
194.64 (got from Palit website) nVidia driver (192.62 does not have the control panel when installed)

I'm not sure if it is connected but I'm using Internet Explorer 8, it might have something to do with the Games for Windows Live thing from crashing.

Its nowhere specific but I noticed I crashed more when PhysX is enabled. I'm already at v1.1 by the way.

I read in the readme that the game might require a reboot or something to reset the directx, is this right? How do you like me to set the settings of my Virtual memory by the way?

maximuskain
25th Sep 2009, 07:38
Hi guys, I took out my Internet Explorer 8 to see if it was causing the crash and it seems that it is. So far played for about 15 minutes without crashing whereas the game crashes almost every 5 to 10 minutes of playing.

Will Games for Windows Run if I use Firefox 3.5 as my default browser? I'm on IE7 right now and it seems stable. Pleas egive me your thoughts on using Firefox with Games for Windows Live. Thanks!

jaywalker2309
25th Sep 2009, 07:46
Hmm thats interesting maximuskain.. So you just uninstall ie8 and the game suddenly stopped crashing?
I use ie8 and gfw without issue, but as with any software there could be an infinite combination of things running in the background we dont know fully.

As for Firefox, give it a go? set it as ya default and see if the game works okay?

maximuskain
25th Sep 2009, 19:19
I think it was because the I installed IE8 before I installed Vista SP2 so that IE8 became unstable. But yes the crash issues did not return so I'm happy with IE7 for the meantime, at least until I'm finished with the game anyway, hehe......

Enjoying every minute of this game. It feels like God of War crossed with Metal Gear Solid. Both great games rolled into one vicious, awesome and spectacular package!!!!

indio68
6th Oct 2009, 20:42
Let me once again make this clear to anyone reading this thread that this issue is not a problem related to any of these things -

A.) Not a problem with SLI. Users with single cards are also having the issue, and I turned off SLI and the issue still happens.
B.) Not an issue with the PhysX runtime. I've re-installed them multiple times, and even rolled back to the ones included with the retail release.
C.) Not an issue with Driver versions. I've tried numerous versions - All present the same issue.
D.) Not an issue related to OS version. People with XP, and Vista 32 or 64-bit have said they have the issue.
E.) Not an issue related to 'out of memory' or anything of the nature.
F.) Not an issue related to soundcard drivers or soundcard in use. Disabling all my soundcard and onboard sound has no effect with the crash.
G.) Not an issue related to any other settings available for the game. I've tried numerous different settings.

The issue is soley to do with turning PhysX ON for the game. This means the 'Normal' or 'High' option. Turning PhysX 'Off' solves the issue.

There should be no more confusion. Now please, let us know you are working on the issue or at least acknowledge that you need to go and fix the gamecode.

My system is -
E8400
750i SLI motherboard
4GB of DDR2
2 GTX260 192's in SLI
Vista 32-Bit.
Realtek Audio (Which I know there have been issues with Realtek. However, ONCE AGAIN, disabling the On-Board audio in Device Manage, effectively removing it from my system still allows the crash to happen when PhysX is turned 'ON'. With PhysX 'OFF' the Issue does not happen. So I highly doubt this is the cause of the issue. Pretty sure other people with other sound cards are having it to anyways.)

emm but if the issue is on ATI VGA that have not Physic (damn that stupid option i hate that...only problwems expecially for ATI users) settend on ON att all...i have the same crash like the buddy above..after i defeat Crane just before batman says that the man dead wasn.t Gordon....btw Audio still continue but warning message pop up and cliking on ok game close....so whats up?? i guess this is due to some trigger script or a cutscene....btw this crash are so many and in many spot of the game.....i'm using 1.0 version , offline (i hate GFWL too)...coz when i read the release note of the stupid nvidia patch i don't install it at all...but this is a game bug....so i hope rocksteady give us a fix asap....i'm using a ATI 1959pro and the runs well on high detail...but this crash made me creazy...sry my poor english

indio68
6th Oct 2009, 20:45
Another thiNg i hate is....if my unique save game corrupt...i must restart the game form beginnig all over AGAIN?? 1 SAVE SLOT IS STUPID!!!
I HAVE THE Gordon false dead crash in medical centre after Crane , and i want to try if was the damn checkpoint corrupted when i realize that there is only CONTINUE option...no load game or previous point...NOTHING AT ALL...THIS IS INSANE! i had many and many oproblem with KANE AND lINCH GAME AND THIS DAMN GFWL BEFORE...AND I REALLY PISSED OFF! NOW THE DAMN PHYSIXNVIDIA MARKETING STUFF RUINING GAME TOO...BLEAH!!

markusdamone
9th Oct 2009, 12:08
right so i get some money and i build me a new machine. msi board with a nvidia chip set.
now add a quad core phenom black 2 955 3.7gig cpu, put 4 gigs of DDR3 1666 hrz overclocked ram. bring it all together with a nvidia GTX 285 2gig DDR3 super-clocked. it plays every game i have like a god with no frame loss or anything. i buy RE5( resident evil 5)
play it on the highest setting possible. not a problem no crashes no nothing. i get my CD key for this game; one i have been wanting to play for a bit now, and 5 seconds into this not so graphic over power looking game. it crashes, why? i have windows XP and i swear to god that if i get told i need vista im going to go crazy on someone. and don't try and say my machine cant handle it. i machine plays UT3 perfectly secondlife two windows on each screen max settings hell i was playing eve online on one monitor while running left 4 dead both on full settings. and not a head shoot or ship was missed. so tell me why is it a game created for the Xbox 360 RE5 can work fine just came out as well, yet a PS3 game cant? what dose that say about this company and sony? hey i got an idea stop making games for consolers......and give us PC gamers some love. the only people that are giving us anything is valve, thank god for them. the last good game edios had was hitman blood money. that was it granted they went off a game that had been idolized. so is there anyone out there that can help me with this issue? or am i just SOL?

Marcus
9th Oct 2009, 13:34
...5 seconds into this not so graphic over power looking game. it crashes, why?...

Give more information on the crash, and I wouldn't be surprised if somebody here knew how to fix it.

Common fixes in the past have been installing the patch provided on the Eidos website, and dropping the system settings (while it's clear that your system is powerful, you may have a different combination of components than is optimal for *this* game).

Out of interest - why 4GB of ram on an XP machine - isn't XP limited to an effective total of 3GB ram?

deders
9th Oct 2009, 14:04
and 5 seconds into this not so graphic over power looking game. it crashes, why?

Have you got the patch from here?
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=96538
Its an updated one that enables physx properly, some versions were crashing because the old patches weren't overwriting files properly.

markusdamone
10th Oct 2009, 06:03
no XP is set at a stable 4 gigs of ram max, and it is the a crash at the begining cut sence batman says "im going in with him" it crashes and tells me shipping something or other .exe needs to close and is doing so. i have version 1.1. oh and get this even though the nvidia site states my GPU is regestered for phyxis the game tells me it is not.....something is wrong with that seeing as that was the damned driver and engine that came with the driver.

deders
10th Oct 2009, 08:19
unless you are using a 64 bit version of windows, you will have less than 4gb available because all your ram including your Graphics card has to be in the 4gb total, as well as other system resources. If you right click on my computer and click properties to show the available ram that windows can use it will be less than 4gb. Still its better than having 2 gig though or 3 gig in single channel.

Anyway, where did you get the 1.1 patch from? the one above is a fix for a similar sounding issue as the original patch didn't overwrite files properly and left many people with a crash around the same place. before trying anything else i'd install the patch above over what you have.

markusdamone
10th Oct 2009, 22:57
i got it when i downloaded the game from steam and the issues or not of ram is no relevent to the issue. so no more on the discussion of it. the 1.1 patch is from steam when i downloaded the game

deders
11th Oct 2009, 05:25
i got it when i downloaded the game from steam and the issues or not of ram is no relevent to the issue. so no more on the discussion of it. the 1.1 patch is from steam when i downloaded the game

fine, I won't mention your potential underuse of available physical ram ever again, seriously for this game it really isn't an issue.
please describe how and when the game crashes.

markusdamone
11th Oct 2009, 18:25
....this isw getting pointless. as i said, at the very begining of the game. they are putting the joker into arkum. as they do so batman turns to the warden and says "something is wrong, im going in with them......" it is at this point that the game crashes even if i skip the scene it crashes as well. give me a shippingPC-BmGame.exe. the is the app and mod that has crashed. as well as this file E:\DOCUME~1\markus\LOCALS~1\Temp\d0ab_appcompat.txt. this is what i have going on.

deders
11th Oct 2009, 18:34
It sounds exactly like the problem I and many others had when trying to run physx on the d2d version of the game which wans't being patched properly, this is why rocksteady released the patch that I gave you the link to above which fixes the issue. I have no idea if it will work with steam but you could try extracting the files from the new 1.1 patch above and manually copying them into the game directory, making sure you overwrite everything it asks. failing this if you really want to play the game while rocksteady fix the issue then you could try disabling physx.

markusdamone
12th Oct 2009, 03:13
the funny thing is it says that physx is not supporte by my harware even though it came iwth the physx

markusdamone
12th Oct 2009, 03:24
still no working, plus with physx turned off wonder if nvidia knew aobut his

Marcus
12th Oct 2009, 08:51
If you can, try changing your documents folder to the C drive and installing the game to C: as well. That has fixed problems for a few people.

markusdamone
13th Oct 2009, 03:46
...all my games are installed on a set HDD so my programs have a HDD my documents have a driver and my os has a drive.

Shonksta
13th Oct 2009, 04:34
Hi everyone, if you are having the restart/die crash, something that fixed this issue for me while also having Physx on high was this:

Originally Posted by Abyss12321
Hi guys,
i have the solution at your problem:
just go to :
-Documents\Eidos\Batman Arkham Asylum\Bmgame\Config\

localize a file name "BmEngine.ini"
make sure that this file is on "read only"
ans find the command :

bPhysXuseGRB=True and set this command in bPhysXuseGRB=False

Don't forget to set "file read only" for the file save and don't change your BmEngine.ini
Make sure the file as save it !

This was originally a fix for extreme performance loss ( 60fps down to 3ps etc ) in the scarecrow scenes and it worked, it also for me fixed the restart/die crashes. If this works for you as well please give credit to Abyss12321 who posted the fix. Hope this works for you guys to, Cheers.

deders
13th Oct 2009, 09:35
...all my games are installed on a set HDD so my programs have a HDD my documents have a driver and my os has a drive.

Same here, and although it hasn't caused me any issues with this game, eidos has recommended putting documents back on c: as a fix for some issues, have a look around the forum and see if they relate to you.

LIGHTS
23rd Oct 2009, 20:43
Does anyone know how to change settings on PhysX? Thanks.

deders
23rd Oct 2009, 22:23
Does anyone know how to change settings on PhysX? Thanks.

In the Launcher, but you'll need the 1.1 patch from here before the setting will appear. this is the only version of the 1.1 patch that works with the D2D version of the game.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=96538

LIGHTS
23rd Oct 2009, 23:24
I downloaded the patch, but it doesn't install. It says BAA can't be found?

deders
23rd Oct 2009, 23:28
I downloaded the patch, but it doesn't install. It says BAA can't be found?

have you been messing with your files at all?

remind me again what graphics setup do you have?

LIGHTS
23rd Oct 2009, 23:50
have you been messing with your files at all?

remind me again what graphics setup do you have?

Not at all. Where do I check graphics setup?:scratch:

deders
23rd Oct 2009, 23:54
Not at all. Where do I check graphics setup?:scratch:

aparently there are a few people who can't update, as of yet there isn't a solution as far as i can see.

you can find out what graphics card(s) you have by right clicking on my computer, select properties, then device manager, then click the cross next to display adapters and tell me what appears.

LIGHTS
24th Oct 2009, 00:03
aparently there are a few people who can't update, as of yet there isn't a solution as far as i can see.

you can find out what graphics card(s) you have by right clicking on my computer, select properties, then device manager, then click the cross next to display adapters and tell me what appears.

Wow, you're good. I have ATI Radeon HP 2400.

deders
24th Oct 2009, 00:06
Wow, you're good. I have ATI Radeon HP 2400.

ok, you aren't going to be able to enable physx on an ATI card, none of them support it, the only cards that do are Nvidia cards so there isn't really much point updating to 1.1 as all it does really is enable physx.

LIGHTS
24th Oct 2009, 00:13
Oh. Looks like once again I'm stuck...

deders
24th Oct 2009, 00:16
what are you stuck with now?

LIGHTS
24th Oct 2009, 00:31
Well, just the crash/black screen at Botanical gardens... Stuck at 34%.

deders
24th Oct 2009, 00:36
Well, just the crash/black screen at Botanical gardens... Stuck at 34%.

ok there is a link to the garden fix just below the patch link on the first post here, you may or may not need the patch to get it working but for now see if you can do it without.

In fact this seems to need physx enabled, so it may not apply to you but it can't hurt to try.

LIGHTS
24th Oct 2009, 00:38
ok there is a link to the garden fix just below the patch link on the first post here, you may or may not need the patch to get it working but for now see if you can do it without.

In fact this seems to need physx enabled, so it may not apply to you but it can't hurt to try.

I downloaded it a few hours ago, but it turned out that I already had the garden file in my folder already. :(

deders
24th Oct 2009, 00:40
I downloaded it a few hours ago, but it turned out that I already had the garden file in my folder already. :(

same filesize and version? (right click on both the files and select properties and compare them)

LIGHTS
24th Oct 2009, 01:20
same filesize and version? (right click on both the files and select properties and compare them)

Well the one I have is 169 kb (173,452 bytes) while the 1 I downloaded had 170 kb.

deders
24th Oct 2009, 01:25
Well the one I have is 169 kb (173,452 bytes) while the 1 I downloaded had 170 kb.

ok, well back up the old one somewhere safe and replace it with the new one and see what happens.

LIGHTS
24th Oct 2009, 01:31
sigh yet another crash.

deders
24th Oct 2009, 01:53
sigh yet another crash.

Bummer, just looking through the forums and it seems people are having the same problems with similar mobile ATI cards. May be worth checking the ATI site for a new driver.

micdah
11th Nov 2009, 21:49

Admin - 30,517,601
Cave - 5,554,416
Cells - 14,622,079
Garden - 12,488,617
Max - 33,008,909
Medical - 34,914,049
Overworld - 7,200,334
Visitor - 5,700,860
I know this post is from a while back - but I am experiencing the same problems described in this thread (and others similar, like the "Gordon Crash"), and have tried just about all mentioned remedies for fixing it.

But checking the properties of my #GameDir#\BmGame\CookedPC\Maps\PhysX folder, i noticed something off - mine only contains 33 files and 8 folders (which would explain the missing file error messages - duh!), and also only a total size of 90.606.014 bytes.

The fixes I have already tried, are installing the patch with or without the original game folder (i.e. moving the folder, installing the patch, and moving back the content both trying with not-overriding files and overriding files).
I have tried the official GFWL patch, a 3rd party source (bigdownload or something), and the "official" Eidos patch.

My version of the game is from a retailer called gamesload (gamesload.dk, affiliates with gamesload.de and partnered with T-mobile), but as it ought to be similar to D2D and other digital versions - any of the fixes mentioned might (ought) to have worked.

My system is running Windows 7 64 bit, which may or may not be a parameter mixing in with the "bug".

Anyways, any ideas of where to go from here? I'm clean out... The only thing I haven't tried yet is manually extracting the cab files from the patcher, trying to extract the missing files. But this seems a bit excessive, and I'm not that sure it will work.

deders
11th Nov 2009, 22:33
I'd start again with a fresh install and use the patch from this thread: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=96538 for any D2D related version of the game, others don't update the files properly.

If after doing that it might be worth extracting the files manually but this hasn't worked for some people.

As far as I can tell the windows version isn't an issue with this particular bug.

Is the game installed into your default program files directory? and if you've moved the default directory have you made all the neccesary registry changes?

micdah
11th Nov 2009, 22:44
I'd start again with a fresh install and use the patch from this thread: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=96538 for any D2D related version of the game, others don't update the files properly.

If after doing that it might be worth extracting the files manually but this hasn't worked for some people.

As far as I can tell the windows version isn't an issue with this particular bug.

Is the game installed into your default program files directory? and if you've moved the default directory have you made all the neccesary registry changes?
Thanks for the reply.

I have though already tried this patch, in several different approaches (of course with a fresh install each time, i.e. uninstalling, cleaning saved games/configurations and registry keys). The approached tried are:
- Installing the patch into the game folder (i.e. not moving/copying out anything)
- Installing the patch after moving (or renaming) the folder, and after that copying in the original files (both with overwriting and not overwriting existing files - the first of which makes little sense, but tried none the less).

I can't seem to find any utilities which will extract any files from the patch files (not from a version 14.x InstallShield installer anyways), so no luck there either.

But seeing how many files are missing in my PhysX folder, it would seem the problem is some combination of my digital edition of the game, and the patches not doing the right thing.

A .zip file with the updated files, would seem to be the cure for my (installations) disease, but you don't get updates that way, now do you. :-P

micdah
11th Nov 2009, 22:50

Oopsy, didn't see your last paragraph there. No the game is not installed into the default directory, but on a different drive than my Windows installation.

I have read (very scarcely) other thread mentioning something or the other about non-default My Documents folders, but none mentioned about the game installation folder - are there stuff I ought to be doing to my registry when changing the default installation folder?
Mind you, the patcher is able to find my non-default folder (as noticed by the fact that it will create the folder and files when I move it, in the fix attempts proscribing this).

Just for the sake of an attempt, I will try to make a fresh install in the default directory, using the Eidos patcher, moving out the files prior to patching, not overwriting when moving back. I'll post back with success / failure outcome. :-)

deders
11th Nov 2009, 23:03
I edit the registry just after I install windows so that my program files always defaults the the path I specify. I also do the same for the common files dir within program files dir.

If you search through the registry for any instance of 'programfilesdir', you can change the default location. The path for common files should be further up on the same page. there is more than one entry for this so make sure you start from the top keep searching and changing until it can't find any more instances.

Now any installer that uses this path will automatically install here, it saves complications later on and I've had no problems because of this. Some installers (fraps and o2 support for instance) will go for their own path (C:\fraps) so keep an eye out.

micdah
11th Nov 2009, 23:07
I edit the registry just after I install windows so that my program files always defaults the the path I specify. I also do the same for the common files dir within program files dir.

If you search through the registry for any instance of 'programfilesdir', you can change the default location. The path for common files should be further up on the same page. there is more than one entry for this so make sure you start from the top keep searching and changing until it can't find any more instances.

Now any installer that uses this path will automatically install here, it saves complications later on and I've had no problems because of this. Some installers (fraps and o2 support for instance) will go for their own path (C:\fraps) so keep an eye out.
Thanks for the tip, a nifty thing to do indeed - although I only separate my games from my utilities, seeing that only games really need the performance gain of loading / running from a separate physical drive.
(Or well, games is the place I see the greatest gain and hence don't bother with normal applications and the likes).

Anyways, I just now tried the fresh install in the default application folder to rule out any trouble with the installation being on a separate drive and/or in a non-default location - sadly though, no luck - the exact same problem. Also the exact same amount of missing files in my PhysX folder.

deders
11th Nov 2009, 23:12
how many files are there in the physx folder after installing the patch and before you copy the main game back?

micdah
11th Nov 2009, 23:14
how many files are there in the physx folder after installing the patch and before you copy the main game back?
There are 33 files and 8 folders residing in my PhysX folder (Game\BmGame\CookedPC\Maps\PhysX), the exact same amount as after the copy/move operation.

I also checked the original game folder, verifying that it does not contain that particular folder (seeing as PhysX is an addition of the 1.1 patch, this also makes some sense when I think about it).

deders
11th Nov 2009, 23:25
I have almost identical file numbers and sizes as Jaycw, the only difference by a few bytes is the garden folder because i've applied the seperate garden file.

It looks like, as you say the patch isn't installing properly, I know this must be painstaking for you but in case you have somehow got the various patches mixed up, i can only ask you to re-download the patch from the location i gave you and try installing it over what you have already.

XP vista and 7 should be able to open the cab files within the patch into an explorer folder but as cab files are associated with winrar on my comp, which should also be able to open cab files, i can't test this. I've also tried 7zip with no luck so they must be using their own algorithms :(

micdah
11th Nov 2009, 23:41
I have almost identical file numbers and sizes as Jaycw, the only difference by a few bytes is the garden folder because i've applied the seperate garden file.

It looks like, as you say the patch isn't installing properly, I know this must be painstaking for you but in case you have somehow got the various patches mixed up, i can only ask you to re-download the patch from the location i gave you and try installing it over what you have already.

XP vista and 7 should be able to open the cab files within the patch into an explorer folder but as cab files are associated with winrar on my comp, which should also be able to open cab files, i can't test this. I've also tried 7zip with no luck so they must be using their own algorithms :(
Tried re-downloading the patch, doing a fresh install (seeing that I uninstalled after the last post, I kind of had too anyways), but still the same end result, 33 files and 8 folders.

The patch downloaded and installed is "Batman_TU_v1.1_EFIGS.exe", and weighs in at 279.694.592 bytes, I haven't got a MD5, CRC or anything like that to compare it to though, but I'm pretty confident it's not corrupt seeing as a re-download did nothing.

About extracting the cab files, Windows and 7-zip for that matter is capable of opening and extracting cab files - but as far as I can tell InstallShield uses proprietary cab packaging of some sorts (propably using the cab file container, but with custom content layout), anyways they are non-extractable to cab-enabled archive tools. There exists InstallShield cab file extractors, but all I can find are only capable of extracting version 5.x and 6.x, and the patch distributed is packaged using InstallShield version 14.x (14.0.0.162 to be precise).

micdah
11th Nov 2009, 23:46
Oh and totally forgot, thanks for coming with ideas for cracking this nut of a conundrum of a weird bug, painstaking as it though may be re-installing, as Newton would have said I am just learning of yet another way of not getting Batman: AA to work properly. :-)

(on the side note, I am "used" to installing, re-installing etc., to get a game to work... I've got Battlefield 2142, and I'm pretty sure I have up until now tried to straigthen out just about all bugs assosiated with that game... Even had one that only could be put down by a total OS re-installation! Now thats a bug! :-P )

deders
11th Nov 2009, 23:53
It's strange that the problem you are having is the same one that version of the patch is supposed to resolve.

I came accross this page after a quick google of 'cab extractor 14.0.0.162' It seems links and command lines that may help.

http://www.cd-2-dvd.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7593

micdah
12th Nov 2009, 00:18
It's strange that the problem you are having is the same one that version of the patch is supposed to resolve.

I came accross this page after a quick google of 'cab extractor 14.0.0.162' It seems links and command lines that may help.

http://www.cd-2-dvd.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=7593
Uh nice, didn't come across that one myself. I have downloaded it, and indeed it's able of extracting the data cab files (it would seem).

Sadly though it's just putting everything into the root folder of the extraction, so I cannot distinct where what was supposed to go - but still so, there's only 45 *.umap files being extracted, of which exactly 33 of them has the suffix _PhysX.umap (just as the files placed in the PhysX folder).
Also noting that the file size of these 33 files are 90.606.014, exactly the same size as the ones found in my game installation folder.

The rest of the *.umap files has suffixes such as _CLights, _Static and the likes, matching those of the files found in the "regular" maps folder (i.e. \Game\CookedPC\Maps\).

So somehow, I'm only able to extract the exact same files as the installer... The plot thickens.

deders
12th Nov 2009, 00:27
I've just copied the game files to a different location and installed the patch.
The total installed size is 340MB, 96 files, 30 folders.
the size of the Physx folder is now 86.4 MB with 33 files and 7 folders, nearly the same as you.
How many files/folders are in the physx folder before you apply the patch?

micdah
12th Nov 2009, 00:36
I've just copied the game files to a different location and installed the patch.
The total installed size is 340MB, 96 files, 30 folders.
the size of the Physx folder is now 86.4 MB with 33 files and 7 folders, nearly the same as you.
How many files/folders are in the physx folder before you apply the patch?
Aha, so the problem might not be with the patch after all.... Prior to installing the patch there is no PhysX folder!

Is there some sort of 1.1/2 patch which needs to be installed first, or is the version I bought just, well, f*****? :-P

Thanks for trying out the patch to verify the size and # files.

deders
12th Nov 2009, 00:43
Glad I could help, as far as I know there is no in between patch, the 1.1 patch should cover German versions.

Even if you play with physx disabled or on an ATI card, there are still some physx calculations made on the cpu so it makes sense that there should be some files there without the 1.1 patch.

I guess all you can do is see if they have an updated version or ask for a refund.

micdah
12th Nov 2009, 00:48
Glad I could help, as far as I know there is no in between patch, the 1.1 patch should cover German versions.

Even if you play with physx disabled or on an ATI card, there are still some physx calculations made on the cpu so it makes sense that there should be some files there without the 1.1 patch.

I guess all you can do is see if they have an updated version or ask for a refund.
Yes it would indeed seem like the downloadable version I have gotten my hands on is incomplete, and hence incompatible with the patch - but more striking is the fact that even so, the game is playable unpatched (though I do not know if it will be playable all the way through, but still playable enough to get past the points at which the patched version will crash).

The version installed is actually the English version (I'm Danish by the way, just bought it through a German company, trying to get's it's hands on the Danish online game retailer market - seem's they failed major, with me anyways), so it can't even be localization related.

Anyways, thanks again for your troubles - I will try to get my hold on my retailer, and see if they have any thoughts on all this. :-)

WTElessar
25th Dec 2009, 20:15
I read all the posts so far and I tried all of the "formulas" but none of them helped me. But my problem is slightly different than you have. My game is NOT opening at all. After I hit "Play" on the Launcher, it gives me several different "General Protection Fault" pop-ups, sometimes "Application Errors" and so on. I couldn't find a solution; but I've tried these (btw I bought it on Steam) :

- Verify Integrity
- BIOS and driver updates
- 1.1 patch
- Updates for the softwares I use
- removed the anti-virus
- re-install LIVE and Physx

None of them worked for me. As the messages I get...

http://i49.tinypic.com/2mrts9y.jpg

What can be the problem; i actually have no idea. And since I have a "not-so-good" system, my options are at the lowest although i tried many different variations; none of them worked either...

What must I do to see at least the title screen? :(