PDA

View Full Version : Exact time of release

steviey
14th Sep 2009, 13:44
I'm planning on buying the game via direct2drive or steam. My question is, will the game be released and available for download at 12am tonight? If not, what time tomorrow?

Thanks.

jaywalker2309
14th Sep 2009, 13:50
Not sure on exact time am afraid, am guessing midnight, but dont know which timezone will be used as base..

steviey
14th Sep 2009, 14:21
Hi Jay, thanks for the response. Hopefully EST will be used.

Nemesis296
14th Sep 2009, 14:47
Hi Jay, thanks for the response. Hopefully EST will be used.

I wouldn't bet on it. It was developed in the UK...the demo was released at midnight BST...

BatisdaCJ
14th Sep 2009, 16:06
Before you buy anything on Steam, then look at the pricetag and compare it with other shops, unless you live outside EU, or, if you have lots of cash and dont mind paying up to 30% more for your games and thereby supporting Steam with there pricing system..
www.Steamunpowered.eu

steviey
14th Sep 2009, 16:17
Before you buy anything on Steam, then look at the pricetag and compare it with other shops,

Definitely always a good idea to do this and I have. It's $49.99 no matter where you go/look in the USA.

I'm not familiar with British Summer Time, so can anyone tell me what midnight BST (let's rename it Batman Standard Time) is in the US?

The Coca Cola Company
14th Sep 2009, 17:13
Steam releases a game the time THEY want, not the time the publisher wants.

Pbrad08
14th Sep 2009, 18:04
(let's rename it Batman Standard Time).

I LoL'd, nice one!

Nemesis296
14th Sep 2009, 19:15
Definitely always a good idea to do this and I have. It's $49.99 no matter where you go/look in the USA.

I'm not familiar with British Summer Time, so can anyone tell me what midnight BST (let's rename it Batman Standard Time) is in the US?

Well, that entirely depends on where you live in the US :rasp:

steviey
14th Sep 2009, 19:21
EST, CST, PST -- whatever. Just need to know what time 12 midnight BST is for any of those...

Evermind
14th Sep 2009, 20:59
EST, CST, PST -- whatever. Just need to know what time 12 midnight BST is for any of those...

Time fixed on 12:00am Sept 15th in London.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=9&day=15&year=2009&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&p1=136

steviey
14th Sep 2009, 21:13
Thanks.

steviey
14th Sep 2009, 22:48
I LoL'd, nice one!

:)

I'm just all kinds of jacked up for this game!

Cruis.In
14th Sep 2009, 23:01
uh steam says it unlocks on the 18th.

so no steam on the 15th for this game.

Ace Antilles
14th Sep 2009, 23:03
uh steam says it unlocks on the 18th.

so no steam on the 15th for this game.

Depends if you are in the USA or UK

USA release - 15h
UK release - 18th :(

steviey
14th Sep 2009, 23:28
Right now (630pm CST) my steam says it unlocks in "appx 22 hours" which is between 4-5pm CST 9/15. I can get it retail at 12am tonight and I have the day off tomorrow so why not get it earlier?! Which brings me to a related question. It's been awhile since I've bought a game retail, so when there's DLC or updates in general, how does that get passed onto to a "installed from the disc" retail user? Will there be a button on menu to check for updates/DLC? I surely hope I won't have to play the game from the disc.

Cruis.In
14th Sep 2009, 23:32
what if I buy it from gamers gate

gclhoutx
15th Sep 2009, 00:10
Which brings me to a related question. It's been awhile since I've bought a game retail, so when there's DLC or updates in general, how does that get passed onto to a "installed from the disc" retail user? Will there be a button on menu to check for updates/DLC? I surely hope I won't have to play the game from the disc.

Probably depends on how they handle it. Some games do an automatic check on the servers while others have a button to click on. However from the screenshots that I've seen it looks like it checks automatically and displays a message on the main menu screen. Though we won't know for sure until we get our hands on the game.

what if I buy it from gamers gate

From what it displays on gamers gate website you won't be able to download it until the release date. http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-BBA/batman-arkham-asylum

Choronzonon
15th Sep 2009, 03:15
The unlock message in the steam store has been reading "approximately 20 hours" for about 2 hours now. This suggests that the store page is not being updated on a regular basis nor is the time count an update counter. Depending on when the message was originally posted, the game could start downloading somewhat earlier than tomorrow afternoon. I'll certainly be leaving my machine on overnight.

steviey
15th Sep 2009, 03:24
Refresh that page, the countdown clock is moving.

Steam, Direct2Drive, GamersGate...they don't know exactly what time (zone) Eidos's "midnight" is. Steam appears to be releasing the game on at it's own chosen time. D2D wouldn't tell me anything.

Choronzonon
15th Sep 2009, 03:32
If Eidos is in the UK, it's already 4:30 in the morning of the 15th. In 18 hours, it will be close to midnight again in London. According to wikipedia,

"12 midnight" is still ambiguous, (c) to specify it between two successive days or dates (Midnight Saturday/Sunday or Midnight December 14/15),

So, apparently, they're counting the midnight at the END of the 15th as the release date. Which is bogus, since all the downloading will therefore actually be taking place on the 16th, a full day after the people who bought retail get the game.

If that's Steam's idea, they're being pretty stupid, because I'm strongly tempted to cancel my steam order and just go buy the darn thing at the local store.

Cruis.In
15th Sep 2009, 05:16
why buy it digitally when you can get it at the store?? I only buy digital because theres no store!

gclhoutx
15th Sep 2009, 05:24
true that, I only purchase digital if there is no copy at the store or if for some strange reason have no transportation to the store. Though I'm getting mine delivered but probably still won't be here till Wednesday after ebgames ships there pre-orders out tomorrow.

jaywalker2309
15th Sep 2009, 07:41
I just logged into the game and i got prompted for an update.. Altho our company network then blocks me getting it should be live for you all

Choronzonon
15th Sep 2009, 13:23
why buy it digitally when you can get it at the store?? I only buy digital because theres no store!
Because:

1) CD/DVDs can get lost/scratched/crushed
2) Steam automatically installs the software
3) Steam makes sure that I have the latest patches
4) Steam gives me one place to manage all my games
5) Steam accepts Paypal, so I can buy more easily.
6) Steam doesn't generate extra packaging to screw up the environment.
7) When I upgrade my system, Steam will move my games for me.

That's about it.

steviey
15th Sep 2009, 14:13
Because:

1) CD/DVDs can get lost/scratched/crushed
2) Steam automatically installs the software
3) Steam makes sure that I have the latest patches
4) Steam gives me one place to manage all my games
5) Steam accepts Paypal, so I can buy more easily.
6) Steam doesn't generate extra packaging to screw up the environment.
7) When I upgrade my system, Steam will move my games for me.

That's about it.

Yep Choronzonon, you nailed it!