PDA

View Full Version : Workaround for getting PhysX in the actual game!

Shaderhacker
14th Sep 2009, 02:36
If you open the Binaries folder in the Eidos->Batman Arkham folder, you'll find that all of those files are dated back in July (7/6). The demo of the game, however, has binaries that date 7/26. The BM Launcher program is also outdated in the original game. I copied MOST of the new files from the <Biniaries> of the Demo folder to the <Binaries> of the actual game folder. You probably don't need to do that but just copy the Launcher program to the new game folder. Then start the game launcher from the actual game folder and your option for PhysX will be set to OFF. Turn it on and have fun!!

Nemesis296
14th Sep 2009, 03:29
If you open the Binaries folder in the Eidos->Batman Arkham folder, you'll find that all of those files are dated back in July (7/6). The demo of the game, however, has binaries that date 7/26. The BM Launcher program is also outdated in the original game. I copied MOST of the new files from the <Biniaries> of the Demo folder to the <Binaries> of the actual game folder. You probably don't need to do that but just copy the Launcher program to the new game folder. Then start the game launcher from the actual game folder and your option for PhysX will be set to OFF. Turn it on and have fun!!

This may be a workaround, but you're breaking the License Agreement by doing this, as you are changing the files that run the game...:o

Shaderhacker
14th Sep 2009, 03:39
Yea, not only that.. it's crashing every time I reach the first fight scene. I'm going to try different settings and see if I can make it stop crashing.

Eidos will probably release a patch on Tuesday.

Shaderhacker
14th Sep 2009, 04:03
It seems like forcing PhysX will cause the game to be unstable.

So they needed the extra time afterall. I suspect a patch is going to be released on Tuesday.

Inzane
14th Sep 2009, 04:44
I can wait on the physx, I am enjoying the heck out of the game ATM and you guy should too. worry about this tuesday.play today :D

rsimeono
14th Sep 2009, 04:48
I can wait on the physx, I am enjoying the heck out of the game ATM and you guy should too. worry about this tuesday.play today :D

I agree with you and I was enjoying the game very much but to be honest I do not have that much time and will not be replaying the game so I'd rather play it with all the "bells and whistles" on my only playthrough. I know PhysX is not a big deal given how great the game is but it bugs me when I know that something is not right.

RYO_91
14th Sep 2009, 05:08
what do you mean by saying the actual game?

sonycman
14th Sep 2009, 06:11
Guys, how about antialiasing? Does it works fine? Especially on GTX275 cards?

jaywalker2309
14th Sep 2009, 08:27
Official launch date is 15th for US, so until then some parts of the game wont be fully active :)

Shaderhacker
14th Sep 2009, 12:00
Official launch date is 15th for US, so until then some parts of the game wont be fully active :)

Are you stating that the PhysX feature of the game will suddenly magically appear in the Game Launcher when September 15th rolls around? That'd be an interesting piece of code. :D

Lanarian
14th Sep 2009, 13:01
Regarding the AA, I'm playing with a GTX275, E8500 processor and 4 gigs of RAM, and have everything maxxed out in the settings....
Runs buttery smooth..... Looks and plays AWESOME!!

Tzzantaru
14th Sep 2009, 13:29
yeah...somebody sucks.you delayed the game to do what?nothing?since someone here said that the .exe files in the original game are dated 7/6 and from the demo 7/26, what exactly did you do?what exactly was the game delayed for?physX integration?yeah right.maybe it was for the only reason that games on PC are geting delayed.piracy.ah and I wanted to say.u claim that piracy isn't good for bussines.but I ask you this How is it good for bussines investing $200k in a security that will get pirated sooner or later?i wonder.and I wonder that gamespot said Batman also sold about 2mil copies of the game for consoles.and a $50/game price.how much money did u exactly got?and how much did u actually invest in this game? quote "According to the Los Angeles Times, Arkham Asylum has sold nearly 2 million units since launching less than a month ago".and this only on consoles.I expect to reach ~3.5 maybe 4 mil copies with PC.so let's do some math 3.5mil copies x $40* = $140mil.now I ask again how much did u invest?the ****** u trying to do?robb us?are u feeding an entire state?i guess not.so now , who's greedy?i dare you to tell me.

NOTE : *i only put $40 but the game costs $59.99.with that, only selling 1mil copies for PC 3milx59=~$177mil.

jaywalker2309
14th Sep 2009, 13:47
where did you learn math? if it sold 2 million on the BIGGEST 2 consoles in the world how on earth did you think it would sell double that because it was on the PC? PC sales on games do not match console sales, not on multiplatform titles.

Tzzantaru
14th Sep 2009, 13:59
u completly failed to anserw my questions..and I wonder why.oh and btw go b*lls**t someone else about maths ok? quote from wikipedia

"The top ten best-selling PC games. Please note that the sales figures for expansion packs are not used in calculation of the sales figure for the original game

* The Sims (16 million shipped)
* The Sims 2 (13 million)
o The Sims 2: Pets [expansion pack] (5.6 million)
o The Sims 2: Seasons [expansion pack] (1 million)
* World of Warcraft (11.5 million subscribers)
o World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade [expansion pack] (3.5 million)
o World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King [expansion pack] (4 million)
* StarCraft (11 million)
* Half-Life (9.3 million, may include PS2 version)
o Half-Life: Opposing Force [expansion pack] (1.1 million)
* Half-Life 2 (6.5 million,may include Xbox version but does not include Steam sales)
* Guild Wars (6 million in North America, Europe, and Asia; includes Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North)
* Myst (6 million)
* Counter-Strike (4.2 million,)
* Cossacks: European Wars (4 million)"

if those games sold that much.u can do at least 1.5mil on PC.so as I was saying 3.5 mil copies(PC + consoles in case u can't understand english).so...are you going to answer my questions?

Nemesis296
14th Sep 2009, 14:13
PC sales on games do not match console sales, not on multiplatform titles.

This is all he had to say, and your games shown are all PC-exclusive with the exception of the Sims (regular which was on reg Xbox) and Half-Life 2/Counter-Strike...but you don't really expect that those would sell well other than the Orange Box.

You can't compare PC-exclusive to multi-platform because there will be no contest that the consoles will win. Prime examples: Fable, Halo, Grand Theft Auto series, etc.

The Coca Cola Company
14th Sep 2009, 14:14
@Tzzantaru: "not on multiplatform titles."

And your posts are irrelevant to the issue.

Tzzantaru
14th Sep 2009, 14:22
I'm not in the mood to do some more research on google now.the fact is that they will sell a minimum on ~1.5mil on PC.or they will sell even more on consoles.but the MINIMUM sales on ALL platforms will be ~3.5 maybe 4 mil copies.look at CoD 4 Modern Warfare , 3.04 mil just on Xbox 360.don't tell me that they didn't reach at least 4mil maybe 4.5 on all platforms.let's open our eyes already.come on , get serious.and I'm still waiting for some answers , although I know I wont get them due to obvious reasons.

ok..i did some research

Grand Theft Auto IV - 13 million (multiplatform)
Call of Duty: World at War - 7 million (multiplatform)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - 5 million (multiplatform)
FIFA 09 - 5 million (multiplatform)
Need For Speed: Undercover - 3 million (multiplatform)
Pro Evolution Soccer 09 - 4 million (multiplatform)

@ Cola : with this thread I said in the first post something..the rest is just a curiosity of mine and I'm actually not in the mood to find another thread to say this or open another.

The Coca Cola Company
14th Sep 2009, 14:30
And your point is?? What does all of this have to do with this thread?

Nemesis296
14th Sep 2009, 14:46
I'm not in the mood to do some more research on google now.the fact is that they will sell a minimum on ~1.5mil on PC.or they will sell even more on consoles.but the MINIMUM sales on ALL platforms will be ~3.5 maybe 4 mil copies.look at CoD 4 Modern Warfare , 3.04 mil just on Xbox 360.don't tell me that they didn't reach at least 4mil maybe 4.5 on all platforms.let's open our eyes already.come on , get serious.and I'm still waiting for some answers , although I know I wont get them due to obvious reasons.

ok..i did some research

Grand Theft Auto IV - 13 million (multiplatform)
Call of Duty: World at War - 7 million (multiplatform)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - 5 million (multiplatform)
FIFA 09 - 5 million (multiplatform)
Need For Speed: Undercover - 3 million (multiplatform)
Pro Evolution Soccer 09 - 4 million (multiplatform)

@ Cola : with this thread I said in the first post something..the rest is just a curiosity of mine and I'm actually not in the mood to find another thread to say this or open another.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed has not even been released for PC yet. Plus, these figures are not for just the PC, so you can't even say that there is a percentage of PC vs console. Plus, games like GTA and CoD will ALWAYS always always sell better on consoles. The online environment that people get with controllers and XBL/PSN will be better than people running dedicated servers. Not to say that people wouldn't buy the PC version, but the sales don't even compare...

Rockatansky
14th Sep 2009, 14:50
It's funny how people come out with all sorts of conspiracy theories about game releases.

Unfortunately, most of them don't know about or how the M$ (360 and G4WL) and Sony submission processes are done. These take time.

Of the money supposedly made, how much has to be paid to M$ and Sony under licence.
How much has to be paid in wages to all those involved at the publisher, developer and any other 3rd parties.
How much does a programmer earn? How many programmers are used? What about QA staff? Localisation staff? PR and Marketing? Start looking in-depth at these figures and you see the money starting to disappear very quickly.

Tzzantaru
14th Sep 2009, 15:04
yeah , whatever u say.I'm not going to argue with any of u , because u just can't see past your ideeas , u all have some kind of wall right in front of you that keeps you from seeing the reality.is not the first and definilety not the last thread where someone comes with FACTS and valid arguements that u totally ignore and keep talking from your straight forward ideeas.oh and don't bother replying to this.

Marcus
14th Sep 2009, 15:08
Sigh.

You don't have valid arguments. You have numbers of units sold. It's interesting information, to be sure, but it doesn't support your apparent thesis - that the publishers are charging too much for the game and are greedy.

If anything, the fact that the other games listed sell for about the same amount but sold far more copies would suggest that those publishers are the ones charging too much - right?

The Coca Cola Company
14th Sep 2009, 15:09
Most games are not financially successful or are not released at all:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43172/96-of-Games-Are-Not-A-Financial-Failure
http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=129

"Well, from the big publisher standpoint, it affects them because only 15% of all titles break even. That's not "make money," that's just "break even." So that's 85% of all titles that lose money. That 15% pays for the rest."

"Only 20% of games that begin production will ever finish. Of those 20% that are finished and released to the market, only 20% of them will ever realize a significant profit (Source: Secrets of the Game Business Francois Dominic Laramee).That equals 4% of games that start production return a significant profit."

Rockatansky
14th Sep 2009, 15:19
Most games are not financially successful or are not released at all:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43172/96-of-Games-Are-Not-A-Financial-Failure
http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=129

"Well, from the big publisher standpoint, it affects them because only 15% of all titles break even. That's not "make money," that's just "break even." So that's 85% of all titles that lose money. That 15% pays for the rest."

"Only 20% of games that begin production will ever finish. Of those 20% that are finished and released to the market, only 20% of them will ever realize a significant profit (Source: Secrets of the Game Business Francois Dominic Laramee).That equals 4% of games that start production return a significant profit."

That's why Eidos as a publisher failed and got taken over by SCi.
Then SCi failed and got taken over by Square.

jaywalker2309
14th Sep 2009, 15:39
People really think stores by the games for like $49 and only make 99c profit on them? Someone here must work in retail check how much they pay per unit of stock, will probably shock you.

betelgeus
14th Sep 2009, 16:13
[QUOTEWell, from the big publisher standpoint, it affects them because only 15% of all titles break even. That's not "make money," that's just "break even." So that's 85% of all titles that lose money. That 15% pays for the rest."

"Only 20% of games that begin production will ever finish. Of those 20% that are finished and released to the market, only 20% of them will ever realize a significant profit (Source: Secrets of the Game Business Francois Dominic Laramee).That equals 4% of games that start production return a significant profit."[/QUOTE]

that quote was proven to be a mistake about an hour after it came out about 12 months ago.

also if you notice the top selling pc games nearly all have very strong multiplayer,though this should break the top 100 pc charts therefore 1.5 mil seems reasonable.

The Coca Cola Company
14th Sep 2009, 17:12
The original quote was wrong but what I've written is the correct one.