PDA

View Full Version : Tengu Friend Trophy Glitch (Devs)

Deirhese66
13th Sep 2009, 21:08
There seems to be a glitch that if you do not complete all the wandering tengu quests on the first visits to the levels that you can't get the trophy. This is happening to quite a few people including myself. I really don't want to delete my save file and do the entire story again when I only need 3 more trophies to plat this game.Also replaying the levels won't work to get the trophy. Please Devs, can you make a patch for this glitch?

Erroneus
14th Sep 2009, 13:15
Yeah, same problem here :( It's the only trophy I'm missing, let's get a patch out real fast Eidos/IO :)

While I might play through Mini Ninjas again some day, as it's a great game, at the moment I got other games to finish first and would like to see my platinium trophy :)

I also tweeted about it: http://twitter.com/Erroneus/status/3979198680 and included a reply to IOInteractive, hopefully we are going to see a fix real soon.

DriftSpace
16th Sep 2009, 03:52
Yeah, this happened to me too; I unfortunately overlooked the ingredient Tengu quest on "Leaving Home," so after I defeated the Evil Samurai Warlord I went back to "Leaving Home," found the Tengu's flower and delivered it to him. I did not receive my "Tengu Friend" trophy for this. To be certain I went back through all the levels with Wandering Tengu -- Leaving Home (2), Haunted Forest, Flooded Valley (which you can't even repeat once you've done it), & Winter Ridge -- to complete their quests again, and still received no trophy.

This is quite annoying. Please fix it.

DriftSpace
16th Sep 2009, 19:12
Okay, I have a theory about this problem based upon the similar problem I (and others) seem to have had with the "Animal Friend" trophy/achievement. That thread is here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95640

The basis of this theory is that the game only seems to remember your last play-through with the exception of inventory, Jizo's, and Kuji.

My theory is that people don't get the "Tengu Friend" trophy/achievement because they replayed a level containing a Wandering Tengu quest without completing the quest itself. What's more: if a player happens to replay the Flooded Valley after they have already completed the quest, then this trophy/achievement becomes impossible to get because that particular quest does not reset; the overall game only has 4 active/resetting Wandering Tengu quests to be completed at that point, which is not enough to get the trophy/achievement.

This should be easy to test because there is not really any reason to replay Flooded Valley, and the other 4 quests reset themselves. I, unfortunately, did replay the Flooded Valley level, so I can't test the theory myself. Players who did not replay Flooded Valley should be able to revisit the other 3 stages (Leaving Home, Haunted Forest, & Winter Range) complete the 4 quests, and receive their trophy/achievement.

Regardless, there is a solution:
I got this trophy (and the platinum) today. All I did was back-up my actual save to a memory card (or USB drive), deleted the save from my hard drive, started a new game on easy mode, and basically ran through the 14 levels from Ninja Mountain to Winter Range as quickly as possible. It took me a little over an hour, because almost all of the levels can be finished with either minimal or no fighting, and on easy the enemies don't do very much damage at all. Even levels like Night Castle -- which originally took me almost an hour -- took less than 10 minutes; when you're not trying to level-up through battle and look for pickups it's kind of a breeze. It takes a maximum of 5-10 minutes per level, especially if you've already played them all before. The longest level was seriously the first one because you're required to do specific things before you're allowed to proceed; after that it was cake.

My advice is to back-up your original save (if you want to keep it), delete the save from your hard drive, and start a new game on easy. Focus only on the Wandering Tengu quests and you'll have your trophy/achievement in 90 minutes or less. You don't even have to finish the game to get it; once you get to Winter Range (the final Wandering Tengu quest) and give the Tengu a Tiger Lily you should immediately receive the trophy/achievement if you've completed all the previous quests.

Also: do not replay any levels containing Wandering Tengu quests. These 4 levels are:
-Leaving Home (2 quests)
-Haunted Forest
-Flooded Valley (does not reset!)
-Winter Ridge

Erroneus
16th Sep 2009, 19:27
Good tip, will give a go in the weekend.

Properly faster, then waiting for a patch :D

DriftSpace
16th Sep 2009, 19:40
Good tip, will give a go in the weekend.
Properly faster, then waiting for a patch :D

My thoughts exactly.

Just for reference: do you recall replaying the Flooded Valley level yourself?

Erroneus
16th Sep 2009, 21:43
Yeah i replayed it, to get the Silent Ass.. Ninja trophy.

Deirhese66
16th Sep 2009, 22:25
thing is I don't have a usb drive that can hold the backed up data of 38GB, I only have a flash drive that can hold 1GB, so a patch would be nice. Anyways, might as well make the patch since this might happen to a ton more people who don't wanna go through the trouble of finding or buying an external usb drive to transfer saved data too. Please Eidos make a patch so I can get this platinum, just need that 1 trophy to 100%

Erroneus
17th Sep 2009, 06:03
You can backup save games individually. Insert the USB key, go to the savegame section and hit triangle, then chose copy / backup to your USB drive.

I agree a patch is needed, but there is a solution, for those who can't wait :)

dark_angel_7
17th Sep 2009, 16:04
I too agree that a patch is needed. Theres been no word on as of writing this though. :o

DriftSpace
17th Sep 2009, 19:57
thing is I don't have a usb drive that can hold the backed up data of 38GB, I only have a flash drive that can hold 1GB, so a patch would be nice. Anyways, might as well make the patch since this might happen to a ton more people who don't wanna go through the trouble of finding or buying an external usb drive to transfer saved data too. Please Eidos make a patch so I can get this platinum, just need that 1 trophy to 100%

I can't imagine that a save game for this game -- much less any other game -- amounts to 38GB; that's almost the entire capacity of the average Blu-Ray disc. 38GB is the size of an entire game. Even if you meant 38MB, your 1GB flash drive should be sufficient. I'm looking at my PS3 Mini Ninjas save file right now -- it's located in the Save Data Utility folder of my PS3 menu -- and it's 160kb; that's basically the size of a word document. I saved it to my flash drive without a problem, as it's a fraction of the size of a save file from a game like Elder Scrolls: Oblivion ... which also would still fit on your 1GB flash card.

Go to the Save Data Utility folder (if you're using a PS3; Xbox360 users have to bend over for a special proprietary drive from Microsoft to backup game saves), hit Triangle, and copy it to your flash drive. The save file is really tiny; it takes up way less space than you think. You do not need to back up the entire game printed on the disc, nor do I think it is actually possible to do so. After you have verified that the file was copied, delete it from your hard drive and start a new game.

Or you could wait for a patch, but I promise you that the 90 minutes it will take you to get this trophy by playing the game on easy (like I suggested above) is going to be much, much faster than waiting for them to release a patch. I'll check back in 90 minutes just to be sure.

I also agree that a patch is needed, but I'd rather take 90 minutes to be proactive then wait for an unknown amount of time -- maybe weeks, a month, or more -- for a patch to be released, and to get my trophy. What's another 90 minutes of gaming, really? It was even fun to try to run through the levels as fast as I could without fighting unless I absolutely had to.

Imagine that: you could actually have fun playing this game (or at least 14 levels of it) in a completely different way. I don't know about you, but I'd rather try to find a way to enjoy getting the missing trophy -- even if it is a game glitch -- than complaining in a forum and sitting on my hands until someone fixes it for me. It's a game! Have fun!

Deirhese66
18th Sep 2009, 03:00
I can't imagine that a save game for this game -- much less any other game -- amounts to 38GB; that's almost the entire capacity of the average Blu-Ray disc. 38GB is the size of an entire game. Even if you meant 38MB, your 1GB flash drive should be sufficient. I'm looking at my PS3 Mini Ninjas save file right now -- it's located in the Save Data Utility folder of my PS3 menu -- and it's 160kb; that's basically the size of a word document. I saved it to my flash drive without a problem, as it's a fraction of the size of a save file from a game like Elder Scrolls: Oblivion ... which also would still fit on your 1GB flash card.

Go to the Save Data Utility folder (if you're using a PS3; Xbox360 users have to bend over for a special proprietary drive from Microsoft to backup game saves), hit Triangle, and copy it to your flash drive. The save file is really tiny; it takes up way less space than you think. You do not need to back up the entire game printed on the disc, nor do I think it is actually possible to do so. After you have verified that the file was copied, delete it from your hard drive and start a new game.

Or you could wait for a patch, but I promise you that the 90 minutes it will take you to get this trophy by playing the game on easy (like I suggested above) is going to be much, much faster than waiting for them to release a patch. I'll check back in 90 minutes just to be sure.

I also agree that a patch is needed, but I'd rather take 90 minutes to be proactive then wait for an unknown amount of time -- maybe weeks, a month, or more -- for a patch to be released, and to get my trophy. What's another 90 minutes of gaming, really? It was even fun to try to run through the levels as fast as I could without fighting unless I absolutely had to.

Imagine that: you could actually have fun playing this game (or at least 14 levels of it) in a completely different way. I don't know about you, but I'd rather try to find a way to enjoy getting the missing trophy -- even if it is a game glitch -- than complaining in a forum and sitting on my hands until someone fixes it for me. It's a game! Have fun!

ok I'm just posting 2 posts im not complaining like a baby. A patch for this shouldn't be long and even so, games shouldn't be glitched. I don't want to delete my game save and I don't really want to do the whole game again for one trophy unless it was several glitched trophies.

RadarTrap
18th Sep 2009, 04:53
A patch for this shouldn't be long...

Any patch, no matter how small, would take weeks at least because they've got to make the change for all versions, go through testing, package it for distribution, work with the guys from XBLA, PSN, Steam etc to get it distributed...

DriftSpace
18th Sep 2009, 16:40
Thank you, RadarTrap, for being a voice of reason here. Releasing a patch takes a lot of work and testing, and -- as Deirhese66 said he/she wouldn't play the game again unless there were several glitches -- the developers aren't going to release a patch until they can include SEVERAL fixes.

I don't want to delete my game save and I don't really want to do the whole game again for one trophy unless it was several glitched trophies.

First of all: it's not one trophy, it's two; it's the silver Tengu Friend trophy and ... the Platinum trophy! Is a platinum trophy worth 90 minutes of your time?

Second: if you use your 1GB flash drive to backup your game you will have a copy to restore once you're done getting the trophy. Also, as I said above, you do not have to play through the whole game; all you have to do is run from the beginning to the end of 14 levels, with the exception of the boss battles and a few mandatory fights which are (or should be) super easy once you know how to do them.

I'll bet the amount of time you've spent researching this glitch and posting on message boards has amounted to more than 90 minutes, which is the maximum amount of time you'd need to get this trophy from scratch. We all know how time flies when staring at a computer screen.

Once again: you do not have to play "the whole game." You'll get the trophy on Winter Range. Playing "the whole game" is not just reaching the end of a level; it's fighting samurai, freeing animals, finding Jizo's, rescuing your ninja friends, hunting-down ingredients, finding spell shrines, and exploring. You don't have to do any of that stuff; you don't even have to level-up or find spells because you don't really have to fight anything! Jump over the enemies and run to the end of the levels! That's it! Well, aside from doing the Tengu quests, and a limited number of mandatory battles, but those are easy ... especially on easy mode!

Oh, and by the way: it's been more than 90 minutes since my last post, and there's no patch. I'm just saying... :rolleyes:

There are 16 90-minute periods in a day, and it has been almost 5 days since your original post; given that you posted at 3 in the afternoon, that's around at least 70 opportunities you've had since your initial post to take action and solve your own problem. As Gandalf said: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given."

Deirhese66
18th Sep 2009, 22:32
would deleting the game and replaying make me lose my trophies if i don't backup the original save

Deirhese66
18th Sep 2009, 22:39
I didn't know I could select a specific game to put in my flashdrive, I just went to backup utility and assumed I had to save 38GB of all my ps3 saves. Can someone explain how I can restore my original game save data from my flashdrive once I get the trophy from the new save. I don't know how to reput my original save saying I defeated the samurai warlord while having the platinum, I don't wanna see my save data saying im only at winter range when I beat the game.

RadarTrap
19th Sep 2009, 03:39
would deleting the game and replaying make me lose my trophies if i don't backup the original save

Nope, trophy data is stored on the PSN servers and is unrelated to save games. :)

EDIT:
For how to backup/restore game saves check out "method 2" on this page: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-back-up-and-import-ps3-game-saves/

Deirhese66
19th Sep 2009, 05:34
sweet thanx, I now got the plat with tengu friend in like an hour and I re copied my original save. Its all good now ^_^, still patch the game for other players :)

DriftSpace
19th Sep 2009, 17:40
sweet thanx, I now got the plat with tengu friend in like an hour and I re copied my original save. Its all good now ^_^, still patch the game for other players :)

I'm glad to hear that this worked-out for you, and I'm happy that you also learned some new things about your PS3. That was much easier than waiting for a patch, wasn't it?

Don't worry about your trophies; once you get a trophy, it never goes away ... unless you delete your PSN account.

Good thread, everybody. :thumb:

Erroneus
20th Sep 2009, 01:28
Well just remember to sync your trophies with the PSN servers and then they are saved forever :)

I ran through again, about one hour.