PDA

View Full Version : No Physx???

Lanarian
13th Sep 2009, 20:08
Hi,
Bought the game from Best Buy today, and do not have physx showing in the option screen..
Would this be because I bought and installed early? Or is it a bug?
If it's due to the early release.. will there be other things popping up (Like in the pirated version?). And if so.. will they go away after the 15th?

rsimeono
13th Sep 2009, 20:13
Everybody who got the game early from Best Buy is having the same issue with the PhysX option not being in the game. I hope it is some type of an early release time trigger during installation and not a real bug. I find it strange that Eidos will have this trigger but I guess this is how they are screwing with the pirated versions as well. It is annoying for us who got the game from Best Buy and will possibly have to uninstall on Tuesday and reinstall to get the option but it is what it is so there is nothing we can do right now.

Lanarian
13th Sep 2009, 20:20
Hope we're not gonna run into the other issues the pirates are having... Gotta admit tho.. that was some funny stuff.. Kudos to Eidos for the trickery.

Neon25
13th Sep 2009, 20:20
;O

Seriously?

What the hell Eidos? Did you screw up the master retail or is it just the trigger?

rsimeono
13th Sep 2009, 20:28
Hope we're not gonna run into the other issues the pirates are having... Gotta admit tho.. that was some funny stuff.. Kudos to Eidos for the trickery.

Let us hope it is truly a trickery that does not mess up the legit buyers as well :) as it has happened with other games before. I have to say that if it is a trickery and come Sep 15th all of sudden the option appears I will have to congratulate Eidos, but if on Sep 15th I have the same problem I will be pissed and will have to join all of the people who always complain about anti-piracy measures. I have always been on the side of the developers when they try to protect their efforts but I will not appreciate if such measures screws my legitimate enjoyment of the game.

The Coca Cola Company
13th Sep 2009, 20:32
Probably there's going to be a patch that adds PhysX functionality. Time trigger sounds ridiculous.

rsimeono
13th Sep 2009, 20:37
I agree Coca that if it is an intentionally missing functionality they can add it via 0 day patch to enable it. I noticed in another thread on this subject that one of the moderators replied to another perosn that there is no PhysX in the leaked version and closed the thread. Well that was around the beginning of Spetember so I am sure no retailer had the game on the shelves. The person complaining about the PhysX missing had the leaked version but now that Best Buy has put the game on the shelves and people who bought are having the same problem.

The Coca Cola Company
13th Sep 2009, 20:46
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95382

You are right.. The plot thickens...

rsimeono
13th Sep 2009, 21:01
I actually even PM'ed Jay, the moderator from Eidos who closed the thread you are referring to. I know that since he is in the UK I will not get a response until tomorrow but I would like to get some reassurance that this is intentional and will be OK on the 15th. I doubt that he will respond but here is for hoping.

SteMot
13th Sep 2009, 21:11
I'm going to be pissed if the PhysX option is missing from retail after all the hype that has gone into the PhysX on PC. Hell, what the **** was the delay for if the PhysX are missing?

Inzane
13th Sep 2009, 23:48
I push my clock a head, nada :/

Inzane
13th Sep 2009, 23:56
I'm going to be pissed if the PhysX option is missing from retail after all the hype that has gone into the PhysX on PC. Hell, what the **** was the delay for if the PhysX are missing?

I was thinking the same thing, All the hype and the delay. We will have to see what the final word is on it.

Nemesis296
14th Sep 2009, 00:13
Is your video card PhysX enabled/compatible? May sound like a stupid question, but in the demo there was an option in launcher too, I don't know what the main game has, since I don't have it yet :p

rsimeono
14th Sep 2009, 00:29
My card is definitely PhysX (Nvidia 260GTX) and in my control panel the PhysX is enabled. However, the option within the game launcher settings for PhysX is missing for all of the people who bought their game early from Best Buy. Time will tell if it is real problem or intentionally placed time trigger by Eidos.

Nemesis296
14th Sep 2009, 01:24
My card is definitely PhysX (Nvidia 260GTX) and in my control panel the PhysX is enabled. However, the option within the game launcher settings for PhysX is missing for all of the people who bought their game early from Best Buy. Time will tell if it is real problem or intentionally placed time trigger by Eidos.

What happens if you aren't connected to the internet...?

rsimeono
14th Sep 2009, 01:44
No change regardless if connected or not connected to the net. The PhysX option is simply not in the launcher settings.

Shaderhacker
14th Sep 2009, 02:32
Hello folks!!

Let me put some light on this problem and provide a workaround for you guys (like me) that got the game early. I'm a programmer and so I did a little investigating.. Here's what I found:

If you open the Binaries folder in the Eidos->Batman Arkham folder, you'll find that all of those files are dated back in July (7/6). The demo of the game, however, has binaries that date 7/26. The BM Launcher program is also outdated in the original game. I copied MOST of the new files from the <Biniaries> of the Demo folder to the <Binaries> of the actual game folder. You probably don't need to do that but just copy the Launcher program to the new game folder. Then start the game launcher from the actual game folder and your option for PhysX will be set to OFF. Turn it on and have fun!!

Cheers,

-M

rsimeono
14th Sep 2009, 04:29
Well don't you think that it is strange that the demo would have more updated launcher than the retail version of the game. I would like to hear the official word on this issue from Eidos as I would rather not mess with the game. What you are saying though makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, I have uninstalled the demo long time ago and do not feel like downloading 2 gigs again. I will just wait until Tuesday and see if Eidos sends a patch our way.

jjknap
14th Sep 2009, 04:44
Well, I guess the reality is they could have released the PC version at the same time the other versions were released and then given us a patch. That's crummy to make PC users wait for nothing :(

rsimeono
14th Sep 2009, 04:55
Well, I guess the reality is they could have released the PC version at the same time the other versions were released and then given us a patch. That's crummy to make PC users wait for nothing :(

Only the developers know that fact for sure but I suspect that you are right and that the only reason the PC version was delayed is to defer the pirating of the game and thus slow the losing of sales from the console versions. I cannot blame the devs and publishers for such tactics as much as it pisses me off since I always have respected the efforts of developers. It sucks that the PC platform has become the stepchild of the gaming industry for one reason only: there is no profit in making AAA single player titles for PC. So we will have to deal with that reality. It pisses me off but it has been a reality for a couple of years now.

jaywalker2309
14th Sep 2009, 08:28
As just stated in the other thread, stores selling early we cannot help, but official launch day is midnight tonight..

Cruis.In
14th Sep 2009, 08:32
whats the word now? and the game knows its being installed early or something?

thats pretty lame for people buying the game eidos. you have a bug in your business code.

jaywalker2309
14th Sep 2009, 08:38
whats the word now? and the game knows its being installed early or something?

thats pretty lame for people buying the game eidos. you have a bug in your business code.

how so? we've said the release date is the 15th.. Not the 14th or the 13th? We are sticking to our days, simple as.. Stores famously dont, which is always a shame and upsets a lot of people who have pre-orders which are usually pretty stringently kept to by stores.

Cirap
14th Sep 2009, 09:45
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95699

the plot thickens, indeed.

messed up installer and recalled games resulting in game delay? One can only speculate

jaywalker2309
14th Sep 2009, 10:32
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95699

the plot thickens, indeed.

messed up installer and recalled games resulting in game delay? One can only speculate

Erm, no plot to thicken am afraid.. There is no delay in the game hitting shelves in the language supported territories..

Cirap
14th Sep 2009, 11:40
so it's just the damned lazy swedes then... typical

PhysX I don't really care about (have an ATI card), but another week delay... sigh

Billetwound
14th Sep 2009, 16:56
I was wondering there is a stand alone PCI PhysX card out there, will that work in place of a nVidia card with PhysX for people that have older cards? My Card has it built in but i was just wondering how that works. I remember finding it a year or 2 ago and never heard of any games that actually used it except for demos they made to show it off. But if it does work that could be a good answer for people that don't have that option on their card.

http://http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgrphysx128p.aspx (http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgrphysx128p.aspx)

pleomax
14th Sep 2009, 20:19
Just read this thread....so the Physx option missing is because the game is installed early, is that right ??

@billetwound..that was the original Physx by Ageia, which Nvidia bought for millions. Your card doesn't have it built in as such, your card runs Cuda which is the app. that allows your gpu to do cpu work like video encoding which Nvidia realised could be used to do Physx work.

damacles
14th Sep 2009, 20:40
Wow, we get penalized because retailers sold it early. That's a new one.

Inzane
14th Sep 2009, 21:07
Wow, we get penalized because retailers sold it early. That's a new one.

I don't think so. My guess is there will be a 0-day patch to turn it on tomm. I have seen this before with physx on other games.

Chris@Crystal
14th Sep 2009, 21:21
You are correct. The PC version of Batman was not supposed to be released until tomorrow. The automatic title update with Physx goes live tomorrow.

No need to worry. :)

Inzane
15th Sep 2009, 00:23
:D all is good

cryfreedom66
15th Sep 2009, 02:15
i read that the administrator stated the release date as midnight tonight...does that mean we will have a patch a midnight?

Shaderhacker
15th Sep 2009, 03:06
What I want to know is what time zone is midnight? I'm tired of seeing no PhysX in the game!!

jaywalker2309
15th Sep 2009, 07:41
Try now

Shaderhacker
15th Sep 2009, 08:54
LIVE is not connectable. I'll wait a few more minutes.

I figured it would be a patch!! ;)

jaywalker2309
15th Sep 2009, 09:02
Not connectable? hmm bugger..

betelgeus
15th Sep 2009, 09:50
think microsoft switched of live due to the zune,could be some headaches today what with another aaa title out aswell as this.

jaywalker2309
15th Sep 2009, 10:15
Hopefully have an update for you soon, MS look into the outage

Cruis.In
15th Sep 2009, 12:24
you need to patch to have physx, which means the game did not have to be delayed for a month. because the retail version, no matter where you get it from does not have physx enabled.

so why the delay?

tenth8sphere
15th Sep 2009, 12:38
The devs were probably adding in PhysX to the game which merely requires the patch to be activated. Also, it seems pretty blatantly clear that they spent a significant amount of time on copy protection. In the form of specific triggers and things like this necessary patch. While that's their choice, I really wish they'd just have a steam copy available on console release day.

thebatman226
15th Sep 2009, 13:07
you need to patch to have physx, which means the game did not have to be delayed for a month. because the retail version, no matter where you get it from does not have physx enabled.

so why the delay?

This ^

jaywalker2309
15th Sep 2009, 13:11
The physx was still being worked on at time of console launch. The demo level had been worked on specifically to hit that deadline. Also we were working with nVidia to tie in with their latest phsyx update driver (included in the update too).

There is also issues fixed in the update which is based on feedback from the demo, such as inverting controls option to enable non 360 controllers to work better etc. This all had to be tested and then submitted and pass at MS too. All takes time

jdhas
15th Sep 2009, 16:53
So...let me get this straight. There is a box on the shelves that indicates that that box contains a game with full PhysX capabilities. However, the actual disk in the box does not contain PhysX capabilities of any kind. Let me clarify -- the contents of the box DELIBERATELY and KNOWINGLY do not contain PhysX capabilites OF ANY KIND.

That is despicable, dishonest, and a fairly clear violation of trade laws. You've lost my money and my trust, Eidos. You're not playing in good faith at all ... shame on you.

I hope you've got your lawyers on speed-dial.

Nemesis296
15th Sep 2009, 17:02
So...let me get this straight. There is a box on the shelves that indicates that that box contains a game with full PhysX capabilities. However, the actual disk in the box does not contain PhysX capabilities of any kind. Let me clarify -- the contents of the box DELIBERATELY and KNOWINGLY do not contain PhysX capabilites OF ANY KIND.

That is despicable, dishonest, and a fairly clear violation of trade laws. You've lost my money and my trust, Eidos. You're not playing in good faith at all ... shame on you.

Yes it does...you just have to patch the latest PhysX drivers to get it to work 100%. Sheesh, the amount of work I have to do to get a Batman game working...someone call the whambulance!

Rockatansky
15th Sep 2009, 17:02

There is PhysX content on the disc but this cannot be selected until the TU Patch is installed.