PDA

View Full Version : wonderful stealth game... badly marketed by Eidos

midna1
13th Sep 2009, 11:48
I am AMAZED that Eidos has allowed Mini Ninjas to get a 70% metacritic average. By not explaining how the brilliant stealth system works to the reviewers, Eidos have allowed the game to be presented as a 'button masher' & 'kids game'. This is such a shame because it will hurt game sales :nut:

ok, the steath mechanic in mini ninjas works the same as 'active camoflage' in Bioshock :cool:

Just charge up the animal spirit magic... but DONT change into an animal. You will become translucent & undetectable. Wondering why the environments have so much long grass? Well crouch in the grass and u become translucent too. The idea is to draw an enemy unit into the grass, disorientate & separate them with the animal spirit disappearing act & grass translucency. Then u single hit stealth kill for total pwnage.

Mini Ninjas has a unique stealth mechanic because u can ghost 10+ enemies at close range, in daylight. I dont remember you being able to do that in deadly shadows, arkham asylum, assassins creed or in any MGS

then:
- use the meditation move to recharge the stealth meter.
- use smoke bombs for quick translucency.
- combine the red meter bar with steath kills to devastate the enemy

Can someone from Eidos or IO please post a 'stealth kill' trailer on Gametrailers. One review I read said.. 'without a proper stealth system, you never really feel like a ninja playing the game.' Then he gave the game a 6/10.... for Shame.... Eidos u muppets:mad2:

the resolute girl
15th Sep 2009, 12:30
stealth is fun but normally only interesting in games where the odds are stacked against you (e.g. thief), I played a few levels in total stealth but once you see that you are pretty much invincible and can take out large groups of enemies with ease it doesn't get that interesting. I usually combine it so I can get to the best location (mostly where all enemies meet) and then attack from there. the bigger the concentration of enemies, the better. you can take 'em all out with the Suzume/Futo Powerhouse Combo (power attack suzume/normal combo Futo). Well, it's a kids game so every power you get and every move you have is TOTALLY overpowered compared to its counterparts (enemy ninjas were the only challenge ---- for about 2 seconds once you figure them out) they wanted that every approach works and if you are too stupid to figure it out (which most game reviewers are) then you can still fight......and if they have to button mash to overcome this easy enemies it's pretty sad for them. But the game has its flaws, especially in the bad boss designs that DO feature boring and uninspired button mashing ONLY.

Still, I love the game and I am replaying it right now. It's charm outweighs its non-challenging levels, I play it more as a nice cartoon than a game.
But it is leauges better than....say....the last PrinceOfPersia....which was a interactive movie where you have to press one (!) button now and then.

developers have no trust in their players anymore. In the past Mario was for kids and one of the hardest games ever. Kudos to Eidos to produce a "kid's" game that actually has a little more than jump+kick

Vandal_Farts
17th Sep 2009, 23:26
stealth is fun but normally only interesting in games where the odds are stacked against you (e.g. thief), I played a few levels in total stealth but once you see that you are pretty much invincible and can take out large groups of enemies with ease it doesn't get that interesting. I usually combine it so I can get to the best location (mostly where all enemies meet) and then attack from there. the bigger the concentration of enemies, the better. you can take 'em all out with the Suzume/Futo Powerhouse Combo (power attack suzume/normal combo Futo). Well, it's a kids game so every power you get and every move you have is TOTALLY overpowered compared to its counterparts (enemy ninjas were the only challenge ---- for about 2 seconds once you figure them out) they wanted that every approach works and if you are too stupid to figure it out (which most game reviewers are) then you can still fight......and if they have to button mash to overcome this easy enemies it's pretty sad for them. But the game has its flaws, especially in the bad boss designs that DO feature boring and uninspired button mashing ONLY.

Still, I love the game and I am replaying it right now. It's charm outweighs its non-challenging levels, I play it more as a nice cartoon than a game.
But it is leauges better than....say....the last PrinceOfPersia....which was a interactive movie where you have to press one (!) button now and then.

developers have no trust in their players anymore. In the past Mario was for kids and one of the hardest games ever. Kudos to Eidos to produce a "kid's" game that actually has a little more than jump+kick

I agree with all of this, especially the QTE bosses. Bury QTEs already, they are a lazy design decision, which sucks, because these bosses have great designs.

Otherwise, good game, and relaxing (especially after a few hours of the extremely difficult Raiden IV I bought a few days before this).

Acid_Burn
19th Sep 2009, 09:53
I dunno why you do not want to see QTE, but i liked QTE Bosses. It's interesting :D

RadarTrap
19th Sep 2009, 10:11
Eidos u muppets:mad2:

Sounds to me more like the reviewers are the muppets. Everyone else can figure it out ... :scratch:

And for the record - QTEs suck. :rasp: