PDA

View Full Version : Problem with D Pad in 360

Zuris
12th Sep 2009, 20:32
I don't see where anyone else has experienced this-but I've a weird and very annoying problem with the D Pad on the 360 controller when trying to select gadgets which are not on one of the primary axis (ie-the cryptographic sequencer). At some points in the game, I can press down and roll and bring it right up, at other points it will not select that gadget unless I roll and mash and keep pressing over an over.
I've tried on two different 360's with two different controllers and experience the same thing.
I'm also running PS3 version and so far have not encountered this.

Harvey_Twoface
12th Sep 2009, 20:33
Your D pad might just be messed up.

Ahasverus
12th Sep 2009, 20:46
The D-PAd of 360 sucks, everyone knows it. Just read IGN, the control scheme in 360 was panned because of the D-pad.

jpv2000
12th Sep 2009, 21:39
I've had the same problem with the same gadget.

Turn and Face the Strange
12th Sep 2009, 21:43
The D-PAd of 360 sucks, everyone knows it. Just read IGN, the control scheme in 360 was panned because of the D-pad.

You do realise that IGN are to games what the Nazis were to Jews, right?

Ahasverus
12th Sep 2009, 22:26
Really? I always like their reviews, they are almost objective :)

angleslam99
12th Sep 2009, 23:12
You do realise that IGN are to games what the Nazis were to Jews, right?

No it's pretty much fact that the 360 D-pad is terrible. Especially for fighting games when you need to string your combo together with either left, down, right, etc. The D pad makes everything so terrible because it's on one single panel while the PS3 has 4 separate buttons.

13th Sep 2009, 08:58
No it's pretty much fact that the 360 D-pad is terrible. Especially for fighting games when you need to string your combo together with either left, down, right, etc. The D pad makes everything so terrible because it's on one single panel while the PS3 has 4 separate buttons.

Have you ever taken a PS3 controller apart? The D-pad is one single panel, with four raised bits that stick out of the controller. It's the reason why, when you press one of them, the other three move.

I'm not a fanboy or anything (i own both), but I can't understand what's so bad about the 360 D-pad. I've completed this game 92% - and loads of other games - and haven't noticed anything wrong with it until I saw this thread.

MrNussbaum
13th Sep 2009, 12:44
I have both systems and I bought the game for the 360 and I just recently Gamefly-ed the PS3 version to check out the Joker content. I have actually been noticing issues with the PS3 version. Several times when trying to perform a standing take down (Triangle+O) it will perform a ground take down instead (R2+Triangle). It's quite frustrating, because it usually ends up breaking my combo because I end up getting hit.

Zuris
14th Sep 2009, 19:19
Thanks all for the responses; I have to update here that stranger yet-the issue is (at least as of my last session) gone; can't explain-but fired the game up last night-pad was working fine-obtained the line launcher, upgraded batarang and able to select everything without a hitch-so chalk it up to sunspots and solar flares.

Zombie_in_zen
14th Sep 2009, 19:28
I personally didn't have any problem with it... guess i've gotten used to the controls.

Did you just buy your 360 or something?

Matches Malone
14th Sep 2009, 19:33
I own a 360, no PS3, and yes it sucks, always has, its common knowledge. Still love my 360 though

14th Sep 2009, 19:44
Can't be all Xbox's then, surely? I, like Zombie, have never had any problems with the controller (I've had a PS3 since it came out, ditto PS2 and PS1, but only just got my 360 in April this year)

Zuris
14th Sep 2009, 21:07
No-had the 360 since launch; actually have two -one upstairs, one down and the PS3.

Old_BenKenobi
14th Sep 2009, 21:17
360 D-Pad's suck and are really inaccurate and floppy.

That's not really Microsoft's fault though. since Nintendo patented their D-Pad, leaving Sony to come up with another D-Pad, which they patented, and those are the only two options that really don't suck ass.

gsoriano
1st Nov 2009, 23:49
Thought I was the ONLY one for a second there...
I"m using Logitech Daul Action USB controller,
but X360 Emulator BMInput.ini to map...
everything was smooth untill Gadget 5 in the Down-Right Diagonal on the D-pad.
Could not get it to select for the Life of ME...

At least u could get it to select, I had to map Left Analog Push-in to Gadget 5.

Anyone know how to fix the Diagonal Directions?

:mad2:

gsoriano
2nd Nov 2009, 00:16
Upon Testing some things, Ive found that it's Beyond a Controller "Stiff" or Irresponsive issue:
I toggled Analog Mode On to swap D-Pad with Analog Stick (left) and found that the D-Pad does in fact move Batman around as Intended, and the Analog Sticks could only select the 4 (U,D,L,R) directions for Gadgets. I really need to find a Solution because I have 6 Gadgets, and have ran out of Buttons to map the new Ones to... HELP!

Jay Melanos
2nd Nov 2009, 23:59
The problem with the 360 Dpad and diagonals is the fact that it's a 4-way gate (up, down, left, and right). To get diagonals both pads (U and L of UL, for example) have to contact the board. The design doesn't help much, either.

There was a special 360 controller released with PES or something in Europe a while back that had a better Dpad, but they didn't implement that in their controllers...

AngelsDontKill6
4th Nov 2009, 00:27
im assuming you need a new controller,
or if you really like the ps3 conrtoller, you can get an adapter then you can play with your
ps3 conrtoller, my friend has one :)

Jayngo
4th Nov 2009, 01:46
I actually thought the controller really worked well in this game. I never had a problem with my d-pad and selecting the gadgets at all...